ImageImageImage

PJ Dozier

Moderator: THE J0KER

skywalker33
Nuggets Forum Mock Draft Champ
And1: 5,255

Re: PJ Dozier 

Post#21 » by skywalker33 » Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:14 pm

In my mind, Dozier is being played out of position, he's a guard more than a forward. He needs to start getting better at shooting but playing him at SB power forward seems a mismatch waiting to happen. I see his future as a combo guard, his size alone at PG with RJ and his speed(when he's ready) would devestate other bench units, I could see a lot of post ups there.
Texas Chuck wrote:I'd like to see Utah, and Denver lose

Exactly as I've been saying all along !!
Timmyyy
Junior
And1: 375

Post#22 » by Timmyyy » Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:50 pm

skywalker33 wrote:In my mind, Dozier is being played out of position, he's a guard more than a forward. He needs to start getting better at shooting but playing him at SB power forward seems a mismatch waiting to happen. I see his future as a combo guard, his size alone at PG with RJ and his speed(when he's ready) would devestate other bench units, I could see a lot of post ups there.

I have to say, the more I see from him the more I have to disagree with that opinion (except for the part that he is no SB PF, that is obviously true).
I think his biggest weaknesses right now are all heavily connected with PG duties. He isn't good on pull up jumpers and his handles in traffic are horrible for a PG. Everytime he drives into the paint he trips or looses his handle. He just shouldn't be a guy that has the ball in his hands a lot. His passing is solid and he can attack in straight lines but that is expected from every perimeter player. There is simply not a single PG skill I see in him really.

That being said, I said multiple times that I love this guy nonetheless. And that is because I think he could be way better in a 3&D role as a SG/SF. Reduce his time as a ballhandler to zero, let him shoot or attack off the catch, and let him use his passing skills within the flow of the offense. That would make him a significantly better shooter (since the pull ups would be reduced), he would be better at finishing at the rim (because he would only drive to the basket when the paint isn't crowded) and it would reduce his turnovers. Additionally nearly every of our perimeter players is better at running the offense, so they could substitute his "bad" touches with better ones, meaning our offense would gain from it by subtraction.

The defense is just great so that isn't interesting for the determination of his position. But offensively he should be a wing player with very, very limited ball handling duties in my eyes. I don't see a PG or even a combo guard in him.
skywalker33
Nuggets Forum Mock Draft Champ
And1: 5,255

Post#23 » by skywalker33 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:25 pm

I'm OK using PJ as a part-time SF but when I look at the versatility and mismatches that would happen with him and RJ in the backcourt I get goosebumps. Both have size, both have PG skills, RJ has amazing quickness and PJ has defensive skills. Now if we can just hone their shooting ability..just so tantalizing to think what will be, sooner the better IMO.
Texas Chuck wrote:I'd like to see Utah, and Denver lose

Exactly as I've been saying all along !!
THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets
And1: 6,515

Post#24 » by THE J0KER » Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:44 am

Sad news...
Read on Twitter

He was the only "workhorse" left after Plumlee and Craig exit, and every team needs such type of player. His contract will be expired when he recovers, so regardless will he be in Denver or not, wish him to reach the NBA 6th-man level again.
TunaFish
Head Coach
And1: 5,786

Post#25 » by TunaFish » Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:27 am

Another tough break. The blows keep coming.
Canned in Denver.
Coeur
Assistant Coach
And1: 668

Post#26 » by Coeur » Thu Nov 25, 2021 5:41 pm

Really saw this year as a guy who would step into 5th guy on a beginning dynasty. That kind of season or even a healthy rotation defender and this guy is 10+ per year or more guy. Now maybe slight sliver lining for nugs is maybe he’s min or low level salary guy over next few years

I just hope he can still be able to get a career going through this. I think he’s a super under rated talent.

Return to Denver Nuggets