ImageImageImage

PLAYOFF-2020 (Game#7, R1): [3]Denver Nuggets vs [6]Utah Jazz (3-3), TUE/Sep1, 21:30ET

Moderators: THE J0KER, NuggetsWY

User avatar
THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Posts: 5,225
And1: 5,327
Joined: Apr 12, 2017
 

PLAYOFF-2020 (Game#7, R1): [3]Denver Nuggets vs [6]Utah Jazz (3-3), TUE/Sep1, 21:30ET 

Post#1 » by THE J0KER » Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:09 pm

Image

Denver won the last two games, so I guess Malone will continue with the same starting lineup, despite Millsap over Porter and Morris over Harris are questionable solutions. Murray put some epic performances past three games and Jokic is not at his best, but still on all-star starting center level for sure. Last season we have epic Joker and partly all-star Murray, but the other guys have troubles to contribute significantly. But this season we added Grant and Porter to the roster so things look more promising, despite we lost Beasley for nothing in his breakthrough season.

Denver is 0-13 in a playoff after a 1-3 deficit in the series, but I would give over 50% chances to our team to make history this time, because we have momentum after two wins, and after all, we are a better team, despite Donovan Mitchell is epic too, Gobert playing like 2xDPoY, and their other two guards Conley and Clarkson (over)performing very well.

Harris played only 20 minutes, but his defensive presence was there already, but after so many months without playing his offensive value is low. Millsap is our most experienced player, with 100+ PO games so far and tomorrow is his career 5th PO game-7, so it would be nice to see him show up, for me is a big disappointment to see him being - in +/- in every of 6 games so far.

What I'm really happy to see is a changed team's mindset during this series. They looked lost every time after halftime with a shocking -51 in 3rd quarters after four games. But in the last two games Nuggets even won 3rd quarters.
Manolito
Junior
Posts: 269
And1: 189
Joined: Dec 29, 2018
   

Re: PLAYOFF-2020 (Game#7, R1): [3]Denver Nuggets vs [6]Utah Jazz (3-3), TUE/Sep1, 21:30ET 

Post#2 » by Manolito » Tue Sep 1, 2020 4:47 pm

Games 7 have typically very low scoring and bad FG%, which should benefit Denver mostly because our defense has been beyond horrible (until half time game 5).

What most scaries me is both games 7 last season: 2/20 3P vs SAS and 2/19 3P vs Portland. We have 44% 3P so far in the series versus 36% in regular season....a regression might come today.

Utah has shot 41 free throws than Denver so far. If we donĀ“t go the line more often in game 7, we are dead.
NuggetsWY
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Posts: 9,099
And1: 3,335
Joined: Oct 28, 2015
Location: Cheyenne, WY
 

Re: PLAYOFF-2020 (Game#7, R1): [3]Denver Nuggets vs [6]Utah Jazz (3-3), TUE/Sep1, 21:30ET 

Post#3 » by NuggetsWY » Tue Sep 1, 2020 7:37 pm

The Jazz play a nice team game on both ends and they are fairly consistent. Mitchell is their only true wild card.

The Nuggets have not been consistent: Jokic tends to disappear sometimes, Murray tends to be inconsistent, the rest of the team tends to be inconsistent. (But I still believe we can win and the future looks even brighter now than it did at the beginning of this season.)

Count on four things:

1. Mitchell will have a great game.
2. If the Nuggets want to win; Jokic & Murray have to assert themselves throughout the whole game.
3. Utah's role players will show up.
4. If the Nuggets want to win; we'll need Harris to assert himself on defense for at least 25 minutes.

It would be real nice if Porter got hot too.
User avatar
THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Posts: 5,225
And1: 5,327
Joined: Apr 12, 2017
 

Re: PLAYOFF-2020 (Game#7, R1): [3]Denver Nuggets vs [6]Utah Jazz (3-3), TUE/Sep1, 21:30ET 

Post#4 » by THE J0KER » Wed Sep 2, 2020 1:57 am

From where comes that defense?!? Only 36 points allowed in 1st half. It is expected always in a game-7 drop of FG%, but this is too much. We lost last season game-7 after a +16 lead, but that lead was reduced to +9 already on halftime, so this 50-36 on halftime should be enough by any means.

We killing Utah in rebounds like in the previous game, but this time even more with 27-14, but Malone being Malone with putting our once again best rebounder, Porter, just 12 minutes in 1st half. Jazz looks so hopeless when big-3 was on the court, and that short sequence made a difference.

Utah needs a miracle now... Denver-2020 is going to be the 12th team ever to get the next round after 1-3!
skywalker33
Nuggets Forum Mock Draft Champ
Posts: 10,564
And1: 3,947
Joined: Jun 02, 2014
       

Re: PLAYOFF-2020 (Game#7, R1): [3]Denver Nuggets vs [6]Utah Jazz (3-3), TUE/Sep1, 21:30ET 

Post#5 » by skywalker33 » Wed Sep 2, 2020 2:00 am

Mitchell is definitely off his game but defense is playing well. MPJ making an impact without overwhelming offense. Murray shouldn't have been taken out in the 1st qtr, needed to establish his rhythm
When your days are grey, and your nights are black, it's just different shades of mundane !
User avatar
THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Posts: 5,225
And1: 5,327
Joined: Apr 12, 2017
 

Re: PLAYOFF-2020 (Game#7, R1): [3]Denver Nuggets vs [6]Utah Jazz (3-3), TUE/Sep1, 21:30ET 

Post#6 » by THE J0KER » Wed Sep 2, 2020 2:30 am

Malone should be fired whatever happens. 10-8 in just 12 minutes MPJ was the best player in 1st half, but Malone stripped him from the court 4 minutes before halftime at +16 only because his ego to not look bad because the MPJ role reduced. And he put Porter in 2nd half just 2 minutes before the end of 3/4 where Utah reduced the lead to just +5, and after just 5 minutes he sits him on the bench with that "scapegoat" madness. So, in the game where Murray struggling and Joker has foul troubles, he put an all-defensive lineup!?
skywalker33
Nuggets Forum Mock Draft Champ
Posts: 10,564
And1: 3,947
Joined: Jun 02, 2014
       

Re: PLAYOFF-2020 (Game#7, R1): [3]Denver Nuggets vs [6]Utah Jazz (3-3), TUE/Sep1, 21:30ET 

Post#7 » by skywalker33 » Wed Sep 2, 2020 3:00 am

Not the game anyone expected but a W is a W. Two for three n Game 7's, tough that they can't just put a playoff team away ....yet.
When your days are grey, and your nights are black, it's just different shades of mundane !
TunaFish
Analyst
Posts: 3,307
And1: 2,357
Joined: Apr 08, 2005

Re: PLAYOFF-2020 (Game#7, R1): [3]Denver Nuggets vs [6]Utah Jazz (3-3), TUE/Sep1, 21:30ET 

Post#8 » by TunaFish » Wed Sep 2, 2020 3:21 am

THE J0KER wrote:Malone should be fired whatever happens. 10-8 in just 12 minutes MPJ was the best player in 1st half, but Malone stripped him from the court 4 minutes before halftime at +16 only because his ego to not look bad because the MPJ role reduced. And he put Porter in 2nd half just 2 minutes before the end of 3/4 where Utah reduced the lead to just +5, and after just 5 minutes he sits him on the bench with that "scapegoat" madness. So, in the game where Murray struggling and Joker has foul troubles, he put an all-defensive lineup!?


Malone coached the team that won the game and came back from being down 3-1, a historic event. Not too many calls to fire Malone tonight.

Murray was off and so was Grant and Craig. A great team effort and that run to keep the lead when so many were misfiring was great as long as they won. Jokic was good.
Canned in Denver.
User avatar
THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Posts: 5,225
And1: 5,327
Joined: Apr 12, 2017
 

Re: PLAYOFF-2020 (Game#7, R1): [3]Denver Nuggets vs [6]Utah Jazz (3-3), TUE/Sep1, 21:30ET 

Post#9 » by THE J0KER » Wed Sep 2, 2020 3:23 am

If this Utah in and out winner-boozer miss costs us Nate McMillan this is a bad win :lol:

I'm really serious, Malone almost loses back-to-back two game-7 after his team leads +16 in both, he is not the coach to bring you a ring. And I'm not overreacting about his bad managing Porter's minutes tonight. We killed Utah last game in better rebounding with MPJ key role in that, and tonight on halftime, we dominate 27-14 in that category, but in 2nd half with MPJ playing under 5 minutes Jazz dominate in rebounds 34-19 with so many 2nd chances.

This series is so crazy! I can't remember any similar in recent memory. 17-2-4 (7-21fg) Murray underperformed tonight, but no doubt he is overall the true hero of this victory. The man of the match today was 30-14-4 Jokic which numbers are even more impressive considering we talking about such low scoring game.

Harris put more than great defense in 26 minutes he played, but the 1-9 shooting damaged his value once again, and unfortunately, Grant is this time also one-dimensional, but that defense was great. Porter needed just 17 minutes to be our third best player, and big credit this time to officials, which insist on tough criteria all night, which better suits to Nuggets.

In the end, I must mention our #13 pick from the 2017 draft. He is really spectacular, and wish him the best luck in further career. Our 2013 #27 pick was also great, he puts the great defense on Joker whole series, and luckily Clarkson and Conelly after overall great series betrayed Jazz at the end tonight, especially 2-13 Conley with in-and-out missed boozer for the win.
User avatar
THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Posts: 5,225
And1: 5,327
Joined: Apr 12, 2017
 

Re: PLAYOFF-2020 (Game#7, R1): [3]Denver Nuggets vs [6]Utah Jazz (3-3), TUE/Sep1, 21:30ET 

Post#10 » by THE J0KER » Wed Sep 2, 2020 3:28 am

TunaFish wrote:
THE J0KER wrote:Malone should be fired whatever happens. 10-8 in just 12 minutes MPJ was the best player in 1st half, but Malone stripped him from the court 4 minutes before halftime at +16 only because his ego to not look bad because the MPJ role reduced. And he put Porter in 2nd half just 2 minutes before the end of 3/4 where Utah reduced the lead to just +5, and after just 5 minutes he sits him on the bench with that "scapegoat" madness. So, in the game where Murray struggling and Joker has foul troubles, he put an all-defensive lineup!?


Malone coached the team that won the game and came back from being down 3-1, a historic event. Not too many calls to fire Malone tonight.

Murray was off and so was Grant and Craig. A great team effort and that run to keep the lead when so many were misfiring were great as long as they won. Jokic was good.

After 20 minutes of the play, Nuggets lead 46-30, and Jazz looked so hopeless when Malone without any rational reason sits the best player of the game (with Jokic) until that moment and ruined our offense. Like the previous game, Porter once again finished the game with the highest +/- index.
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 21,236
And1: 6,662
Joined: Mar 05, 2005
 

Re: PLAYOFF-2020 (Game#7, R1): [3]Denver Nuggets vs [6]Utah Jazz (3-3), TUE/Sep1, 21:30ET 

Post#11 » by The Rebel » Wed Sep 2, 2020 3:51 am

Murray was bad on offense after that accidental charley horse by Ingles, but he played his best defense by far tonight and had Conley struggling the whole game.

While we hit some open shots, you have to give credit to the Jazz defense, especially in the 4th it seemed like they knew what was coming on every play.

Jokic played amazing on both ends, of course he will not get any credit for the defense.

If anybody can watch what Harris did to Mitchell in the 4th quarter and still try to convince me that Conley and Bogdanovic was a bigger loss than him then they are crazy.

Is there anyway we can replace Craig with Dozier in the next series? I know we lose size, but not only taking a layup but blowing the layup at the end there deserves a permanent benching. Plus I think Dozier may be better on defense against Lou Williams than Craig or Morris.

Many know that I have never been a fan of Mitchell, but he changed my mind this series, he is one hell of a scorer. Harris owned him in the 4th, but up until that point Mitchell had carried the Jazz through 6 3/4 game. I actually felt really bad for him laying on the court after the final play.
DaFan334
Analyst
Posts: 3,223
And1: 556
Joined: Jul 21, 2006

Re: PLAYOFF-2020 (Game#7, R1): [3]Denver Nuggets vs [6]Utah Jazz (3-3), TUE/Sep1, 21:30ET 

Post#12 » by DaFan334 » Wed Sep 2, 2020 4:16 am

Was it just me or was Jokic moving much faster on defense tonight? He also should have had a lot more trips to the line, but whats new there...

Gary Harris is so much more important to this team than anyone realizes. He is the heart and soul of the defense and he was missed so badly. Even if he can't find his shot, he's huge for this team. I really hope he can find the confidence in his shot again, that's clearly an issue still.

That was a tough series and a huge win. That will build some character.
Image
NuggetsWY
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Posts: 9,099
And1: 3,335
Joined: Oct 28, 2015
Location: Cheyenne, WY
 

Re: PLAYOFF-2020 (Game#7, R1): [3]Denver Nuggets vs [6]Utah Jazz (3-3), TUE/Sep1, 21:30ET 

Post#13 » by NuggetsWY » Wed Sep 2, 2020 4:48 am

MVP for tonight? Jokic is the easy pick but don't overlook Harris' defense on Mitchell - denying him the ball on a regular basis - very impressive defense. But I'll still vote Jokic as the MVP of tonight and Murray the MVP of the series.

I really liked the three man guard rotation with Harris, Morris, Murray.

Grant does not look like a super-star but he looks like the perfect PF for a lineup that includes Jokic, Murray, Porter, Harris. He'd be the 4th or 5th option and wouldn't get many plays called for him, but he works hard. (Assuming his salary requirements aren't ridiculous.)

Millsap - very unimpressive.
Plumlee looked like he was playing with a bad hamstring or a lower back injury: stiff without enough movement.
Craig proved again that while he can have a great game now and then; he's a bench player.

I understand not playing Dozier much but if Malone isn't going to play Porter, why not play Bates-Diop? Especially when Craig is struggling.
manchambo
Starter
Posts: 2,052
And1: 538
Joined: Nov 12, 2004

Re: PLAYOFF-2020 (Game#7, R1): [3]Denver Nuggets vs [6]Utah Jazz (3-3), TUE/Sep1, 21:30ET 

Post#15 » by manchambo » Wed Sep 2, 2020 5:58 pm

NuggetsWY wrote:MVP for tonight? Jokic is the easy pick but don't overlook Harris' defense on Mitchell - denying him the ball on a regular basis - very impressive defense. But I'll still vote Jokic as the MVP of tonight and Murray the MVP of the series.

I really liked the three man guard rotation with Harris, Morris, Murray.

Grant does not look like a super-star but he looks like the perfect PF for a lineup that includes Jokic, Murray, Porter, Harris. He'd be the 4th or 5th option and wouldn't get many plays called for him, but he works hard. (Assuming his salary requirements aren't ridiculous.)

Millsap - very unimpressive.
Plumlee looked like he was playing with a bad hamstring or a lower back injury: stiff without enough movement.
Craig proved again that while he can have a great game now and then; he's a bench player.

I understand not playing Dozier much but if Malone isn't going to play Porter, why not play Bates-Diop? Especially when Craig is struggling.


Man, if Harris could get any semblance of a jump shot back it would be huge. I think he needs to make a concerted effort to drive the ball early in this next series and see if he can get himself a little scoring confidence.

Right now Malone has to choose offense or defense: which is basically MPJ or Harris/Craig. At this point Craig is a better shooter than Harris, but that's not saying much.

In any event, I think I would start MPJ and Harris at this point over Morris and Millsap. Then again we have to consider the Gobert factor--maybe Millsap will manage to do some post scoring without such a menace guarding the basket.
TunaFish
Analyst
Posts: 3,307
And1: 2,357
Joined: Apr 08, 2005

Re: PLAYOFF-2020 (Game#7, R1): [3]Denver Nuggets vs [6]Utah Jazz (3-3), TUE/Sep1, 21:30ET 

Post#16 » by TunaFish » Thu Sep 3, 2020 2:48 am

manchambo wrote:
NuggetsWY wrote:MVP for tonight? Jokic is the easy pick but don't overlook Harris' defense on Mitchell - denying him the ball on a regular basis - very impressive defense. But I'll still vote Jokic as the MVP of tonight and Murray the MVP of the series.

I really liked the three man guard rotation with Harris, Morris, Murray.

Grant does not look like a super-star but he looks like the perfect PF for a lineup that includes Jokic, Murray, Porter, Harris. He'd be the 4th or 5th option and wouldn't get many plays called for him, but he works hard. (Assuming his salary requirements aren't ridiculous.)

Millsap - very unimpressive.
Plumlee looked like he was playing with a bad hamstring or a lower back injury: stiff without enough movement.
Craig proved again that while he can have a great game now and then; he's a bench player.

I understand not playing Dozier much but if Malone isn't going to play Porter, why not play Bates-Diop? Especially when Craig is struggling.


Man, if Harris could get any semblance of a jump shot back it would be huge. I think he needs to make a concerted effort to drive the ball early in this next series and see if he can get himself a little scoring confidence.

Right now Malone has to choose offense or defense: which is basically MPJ or Harris/Craig. At this point Craig is a better shooter than Harris, but that's not saying much.

In any event, I think I would start MPJ and Harris at this point over Morris and Millsap. Then again we have to consider the Gobert factor--maybe Millsap will manage to do some post scoring without such a menace guarding the basket.


Harris looks fine, at least physically able to play. However, the shooting issue has plagued him for a long time. Malone still believes in him and his defense is team best; so if he can handle it, he will get more minutes. We all hope he rediscovers his shooting touch.

MPJ is still learning to play defense. He's improves game by game and the pressure of the playoffs seems to be the best possible teaching moment for him. Let's hope he turns into a veteran soon.

Millsap seems to have some burst at the outset of some games only to soon disappear. Grant is great sometimes but mostly average to inconsistent. Yet, Grant fills a role as a primary defender, a role Millsap has largely given up due to slowness. They will soon have their hands full with the Clippers, a forward heavy club.
Canned in Denver.
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 21,236
And1: 6,662
Joined: Mar 05, 2005
 

Re: PLAYOFF-2020 (Game#7, R1): [3]Denver Nuggets vs [6]Utah Jazz (3-3), TUE/Sep1, 21:30ET 

Post#17 » by The Rebel » Thu Sep 3, 2020 3:40 am

It occurred to me that I cannot remember the last time we were a featured game on ABC, maybe in Carmelo's rookie year or during 1 of the Lakers playoff series? National radio I heard them talking about this series multiple times. Maybe just maybe winning this game and this series will lead to the Nuggets actually getting coverage and therefor better treatment from the refs?
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 21,236
And1: 6,662
Joined: Mar 05, 2005
 

Re: PLAYOFF-2020 (Game#7, R1): [3]Denver Nuggets vs [6]Utah Jazz (3-3), TUE/Sep1, 21:30ET 

Post#18 » by The Rebel » Thu Sep 3, 2020 3:46 am

TunaFish wrote:
manchambo wrote:
NuggetsWY wrote:MVP for tonight? Jokic is the easy pick but don't overlook Harris' defense on Mitchell - denying him the ball on a regular basis - very impressive defense. But I'll still vote Jokic as the MVP of tonight and Murray the MVP of the series.

I really liked the three man guard rotation with Harris, Morris, Murray.

Grant does not look like a super-star but he looks like the perfect PF for a lineup that includes Jokic, Murray, Porter, Harris. He'd be the 4th or 5th option and wouldn't get many plays called for him, but he works hard. (Assuming his salary requirements aren't ridiculous.)

Millsap - very unimpressive.
Plumlee looked like he was playing with a bad hamstring or a lower back injury: stiff without enough movement.
Craig proved again that while he can have a great game now and then; he's a bench player.

I understand not playing Dozier much but if Malone isn't going to play Porter, why not play Bates-Diop? Especially when Craig is struggling.


Man, if Harris could get any semblance of a jump shot back it would be huge. I think he needs to make a concerted effort to drive the ball early in this next series and see if he can get himself a little scoring confidence.

Right now Malone has to choose offense or defense: which is basically MPJ or Harris/Craig. At this point Craig is a better shooter than Harris, but that's not saying much.

In any event, I think I would start MPJ and Harris at this point over Morris and Millsap. Then again we have to consider the Gobert factor--maybe Millsap will manage to do some post scoring without such a menace guarding the basket.


Harris looks fine, at least physically able to play. However, the shooting issue has plagued him for a long time. Malone still believes in him and his defense is team best; so if he can handle it, he will get more minutes. We all hope he rediscovers his shooting touch.

MPJ is still learning to play defense. He's improves game by game and the pressure of the playoffs seems to be the best possible teaching moment for him. Let's hope he turns into a veteran soon.

Millsap seems to have some burst at the outset of some games only to soon disappear. Grant is great sometimes but mostly average to inconsistent. Yet, Grant fills a role as a primary defender, a role Millsap has largely given up due to slowness. They will soon have their hands full with the Clippers, a forward heavy club.


People forget that Harris was shooting better from the middle of February through the lockdown, to the point he put up a 75.9% TS% for the month of March which is an amazing percentage. How quickly he gets it back or if he does is a good question, but it has not been that long since he showed he could still score.

Millsap should prove useful in the next round, while he has certainly lost a lot of quickness, he is still fast enough to cover Kawhi or George for a few minutes at a time to give them a different look.

Return to Denver Nuggets