ImageImageImage

PLAYOFF-2020 (Game#4, R2): [3]Denver Nuggets vs [2]LA Clippers (1-2), WED 22:00ET

Moderator: THE J0KER

THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets
And1: 6,513

PLAYOFF-2020 (Game#4, R2): [3]Denver Nuggets vs [2]LA Clippers (1-2), WED 22:00ET 

Post#1 » by THE J0KER » Tue Sep 8, 2020 9:00 pm

In the final quarter of game#3 Nuggets wasted a golden opportunity to take control of this series. That means game#4 is now a "must-win" game because the Clippers are an arguably better team than Jazz, so 1-3 will be a Mission Impossible . On a positive note, Denver played best in the 2020 playoff every time after being on the edge, and won three games in the row vs Utah after a 1-3 deficit, and tied vs Clippers after 0-1.

I will not talk about the best game plan, tactic, and strategy now, but just about the best distribution of the playing time: Jokic and Murray 40+, Grant, Porter, and Harris 35+!
manchambo
Starter
And1: 836

Re: PLAYOFF-2020 (Game#4, R2): [3]Denver Nuggets vs [2]LA Clippers (1-2), WED 22:00ET 

Post#2 » by manchambo » Wed Sep 9, 2020 8:32 pm

I think the key here is for Murray to bounce back with a solid shooting performance. He can and probably will. We don't need 50, but we need him to hit a few key shots in crunch time. Barring that, Grant, Harris, or MPJ need to step up during the 4th.
THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets

Re: PLAYOFF-2020 (Game#4, R2): [3]Denver Nuggets vs [2]LA Clippers (1-2), WED 22:00ET 

Post#3 » by THE J0KER » Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:24 am

manchambo wrote:I think the key here is for Murray to bounce back with a solid shooting performance. He can and probably will. We don't need 50, but we need him to hit a few key shots in crunch time. Barring that, Grant, Harris, or MPJ need to step up during the 4th.

The last game is an exception actually, the only so far in the 2020 playoff where Denver lead after 3rd quarter but lost the game, and in the 2019 playoff, we also have only one such loss (but the most painful ones, game#7 vs POR). So, our biggest problem in this playoff is not starts and finishes but "the middle game". The Nuggets net-rating so far in 1st+4th quarters are +3.0 but -8.4 in 2nd+3rd, which is almost a ridiculous 11.5 difference in performances. The first next team with the biggest 1+4/2+3 difference out of PO2020 2nd rounders is Houston with just -2.8.
THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets

Post#4 » by THE J0KER » Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:50 am

Watching TOR-BOS OT I didn't see how we scored just 3 points in 1st half of the 1st quarter, but I guess that is the price of MPJ out of starters and Murray struggles. But this time I will not complain about MPJ because Malone finally not shutdown him in 1st half and gives to him Millsap minutes. Porter this playoff better shooting in 1st half when he is relaxed and without toxic pressure, and his 1st half playing time should be maximized. I don't like he takes only 6 shots, but at least seems his 3pt shooting seems back.

If Murray's problems continue in 2nd half, another player which must take many more shots is Joker, of course. Without Murray on the all-star level, Jokic must be on the HoF level, all-star is not enough. 1st quarter was a nightmare, but thanks to Porter and also a bad offensive game of George (+early fouls trouble) result is still active. I hope guys know that this is a "must-win" game.
psimanic1
Starter
And1: 1,171

Post#5 » by psimanic1 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:15 am

If I was MPJ I would ask for a trade as spon as POs end. Malone doesnt respect him enough to draw one action to get him open shot, thats when you get him taking the ball full court ans trying some weird shot over the hand or something, but he has enougj respect for Craig, Morris, Grant to make somefhing for them... As I said, as soon as trade gates are opened again, I wouls go to Kroenke and tell him its either me or Malone
THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets

Post#6 » by THE J0KER » Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:57 am

I didn't lose faith after we have these two blowouts loses vs Utah, not even after 1-3, but after 1-3 against the Clippers superteam, things really look hopeless. But for me, it would be a big difference if we win (at least) another game in this series.

12-26 first quarter was obviously too much big deficit when you face a team like the Clippers, and while Murray improved his game in 2nd half Porter totally stopped after the first miss, despite playing full-time tonight, and despite having an almost perfect 1st half. Three weeks ago this young man was an all-bubble first team member but now looks like someone who needs help from a sports psychiatrist, which is really a *great* achievement of our coach.

Double team defense on Murray which Clippers put on him is inhuman, but still, there are no excuses for him taking only 15 shots in 44 minutes.

I criticize Malone once again because Porter, but I will not forget to criticize our front office this time too. They re-signed 35y old Millsap for $30M, and back in time, they signed Plumlee 42/3 despite in playoff when Jokic playing around 40 minutes he is limited as a backup center on about 10mpg. So in the most important game of the season Nuggets get 0-1 from the field from two guys which team paying $45M!?

Jokic being Jokic again, and his rebounds are definitely back, so seems unlike in August he is finally recovered from COVID19 in September, but even with George limited on just 10 points it is not enough when Denver scores just 85 points, and Kawhi is 30-11-9-4-2 unstoppable. And Harris once again deserves credit for his defense, hope his shoulder is not injured.

Jokic-Porter-Murray shooted 22-46 today, the rest of the team 5-22, so we definitely need to use the Curry-Klay-Durant GSW strategy of big-3 taking close to 60 shots every game, 46 shots in a game where MPJ playing time was not limited is not acceptable.
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,056

Post#7 » by NuggetsWY » Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:49 pm

The Nuggets have shown they can play with the Clippers and they have shown they can fail against the Clippers. Their inconsistency has been a trademark and it's become more evident against both Utah and LAC.

The Clippers are playing for passes, knowing the Nuggets tend to not attack the basket. "Selfish" isn't the label they need to be afraid of - if the elite Nuggets don't apply themselves consistently and overcome the defenses used against them, they will be given an even less appealing label.
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,338

Post#8 » by The Rebel » Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:44 pm

Read on Twitter

It is hard to be mad at MPJ when we have all been saying the same thing. The Clippers are devoting 3 or 4 guys to stop Jokic and Murray and yet the coach continues to call for their pick and roll. I laughed when they were hyping how well the Clippers defense was doing last night, as I watched Murray brick another shot while Jokic was being mugged trying to get to the offensive boards with both Grant and MPJ standing by themselves at the 3 point line. Sorry everybody knew what was coming on 90% of the plays last night, that is on Malone.

Don't get me wrong the Clippers played good defense, but can we make it any easier on them? When we made the run the ball was being spread around, then back to the Jokic and Murray show and suddenly we fell behind and could not do anything.

Why did we change the defensive assignments after game 2? Grant and Harris have been doing a good job, but they are now trying to guard them 1 on 1 most of the night and that is just not going to work.
skywalker33
Nuggets Forum Mock Draft Champ
And1: 5,253

Post#9 » by skywalker33 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:11 pm

psimanic1 wrote:If I was MPJ I would ask for a trade as spon as POs end. Malone doesnt respect him enough to draw one action to get him open shot, thats when you get him taking the ball full court ans trying some weird shot over the hand or something, but he has enougj respect for Craig, Morris, Grant to make somefhing for them... As I said, as soon as trade gates are opened again, I wouls go to Kroenke and tell him its either me or Malone

What a STUPID KNEE-JERK REACTION!! Porter is really in his rookie year, his first playoffs, still learning what defense is . Yet you think he should ask for a trade from a young, improving contender-to-be team :roll: ?????
Texas Chuck wrote:I'd like to see Utah, and Denver lose

Exactly as I've been saying all along !!
skywalker33
Nuggets Forum Mock Draft Champ
And1: 5,253

Post#10 » by skywalker33 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:23 pm

Clips have taken Murray out of this series, if he ever wants to be considered a superstar he has to learn to rise above the defense. He recognized to split the Jazz defense, has yet to deal with the pesky Beverly and Co in this series. Guess we know what he should work on this off-season
Texas Chuck wrote:I'd like to see Utah, and Denver lose

Exactly as I've been saying all along !!

Return to Denver Nuggets