ImageImageImage

Nuggets 2020-21 preseason games (@GSW: Dec-12, Portland: Dec-16, Dec-18)

Moderator: THE J0KER

The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,338

Re: Nuggets 2020-21 preseason games (@GSW: Dec-12, Portland: Dec-16, Dec-18) 

Post#81 » by The Rebel » Sat Dec 19, 2020 2:10 pm

eathb_au wrote:We're really going to neglect MPJ's development to keep Barton happy who will then walk aren't we.

Malone made a comment that it wasn't going to be the best 5 players but the best 5 players that fit together and help everybody play their best, and Barton went out and looked like crap. He was so passive the 1st 5 minutes of the game that I thought he was going to get yanked out of there. So hopefully Malone sees what we see and that Barton is best used off the bench, where he can be himself.
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,056

Post#82 » by NuggetsWY » Sat Dec 19, 2020 2:34 pm

Riko wrote:
eathb_au wrote:We're really going to neglect MPJ's development to keep Barton happy who will then walk aren't we.

To be fair for MPJ development wuold be better if he start from the bench. He wuold have the ball in his hand more time, more shot (since the second unit lack of scoring) and Malone can develop a lot of plays for him (with him both at SF and PF).

For the Nuggets imho it wuold be better this year if he start since Barton is already a good scorer and ball handler for the bench.

Despite nba's masculinity problem the only thing that matter is minutes and he can play 30 minutes both from the start and off the bench.

Porter does not need the ball in his hands. He fits better with Jokic & Murray on the court. Porter needs to get shots and with Jokic & Murray playing, the floor will be a little more open and they will find him if he is open. He's one of those players like a Klay Thompson that could take 20+ shots and only have the ball in his hands for less than a minute.
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,338

Post#83 » by The Rebel » Sat Dec 19, 2020 2:35 pm

Looking at the rotations the last couple of games I wonder if Malone thinks that Barton and Campazzo will not work together? With Barton off the bench in game 2 Campazzo did not play until the 4th quarter then last night with Barton starting Campazzo was off the bench early and Dozier did not get off the bench until 4th quarter.

After our bench went from average to 1 of the worst in the league at the trade deadline last year it is crazy to say that this collection of rookies, 2nd year guys, European players, and g leaguers look to be much more talented and skilled. We have a lot of talent, which is a good problem as long as nobody causes issues in the lockerroom.
Richard Miller
Veteran
And1: 2,883

Post#84 » by Richard Miller » Sat Dec 19, 2020 4:15 pm

The Rebel wrote:After our bench went from average to 1 of the worst in the league at the trade deadline last year it is crazy to say that this collection of rookies, 2nd year guys, European players, and g leaguers look to be much more talented and skilled.

Yea, it's the shooting and playmaking that got the massive upgrade compared to those previous benches. The Nuggets had Craig who couldn't score, Plumlee who couldn't score, Monte while good backup not too creative, now suddenly almost everyone can score and far less ugly hero ball when Jokic is not on the court.
Riko
Rookie
And1: 685

Post#85 » by Riko » Sat Dec 19, 2020 4:16 pm

NuggetsWY wrote:
Riko wrote:

To be fair for MPJ development wuold be better if he start from the bench. He wuold have the ball in his hand more time, more shot (since the second unit lack of scoring) and Malone can develop a lot of plays for him (with him both at SF and PF).

For the Nuggets imho it wuold be better this year if he start since Barton is already a good scorer and ball handler for the bench.

Despite nba's masculinity problem the only thing that matter is minutes and he can play 30 minutes both from the start and off the bench.

Porter does not need the ball in his hands. He fits better with Jokic & Murray on the court. Porter needs to get shots and with Jokic & Murray playing, the floor will be a little more open and they will find him if he is open. He's one of those players like a Klay Thompson that could take 20+ shots and only have the ball in his hands for less than a minute.

He is 22yo why we should try to narrowing his development him from the start?
I fully expect to see him in nuggets' uniform for at least 6 more years so every little step is something that make denver closer to a dynasty.
davoarid
Freshman
And1: 98

Post#86 » by davoarid » Sun Dec 20, 2020 6:18 am

Long-time lurker here, first post, a few of my quick takeaways from the 3 preseason games:

1) MPJ should definitely be starting over Barton, not just because he's a better player, but because Barton's skillset seems uniquely suited to the 6th man role: so often last year when our starters went out our bench was left with a bunch of guys who couldn't create a shot off the dribble (or were scared to try). Definitely not a problem with Barton! Put him in the backcourt with Morris and Campazzo and give him the "you're Kobe Bryant on this group, shoot as much as you want" treatment. (Similar to the way that the Jazz used Jordan Clarkson against us in the playoffs.)

2) I have watched basketball for a long time and I'm not sure I've ever seen a player make such consistently terrible decisions with the ball as Bol Bol does. I don't know how much of it is an ego thing and how much of it is a lack of experience, but oh my God every time he shoots he's missing an obvious pass to an open player, and every time he passes he misses an open lane to the hoop. It's so maddening! I don't want to see him playing non-garbage-time minutes this year.

3) Echoing all the Zeke Nnaji love. How the hell did a guy like that slip to the second round? Really great all-around game. I'm sure Malone will give him time to develop, but I'm excited to see what he can do now. Ditto with PJ Dozier--if that 3-point shot is for real, he's a starting-caliber player right now.

4) That said, much less enthused with RJ Hampton, who gives me major "top scorer on a G League team" vibes.

5) Backup center: didn't really see enough from Cancar to get an opinion on him, but it looks like Malone has settled on Hartenstein, and that's fine by me. Defense is a lot worse than Plumlee, but he can actually do things with the ball in his hands, so, about a wash.

All that said.....I mean, I'm sure I'm biased because we just had back to back blowout wins, but our bench (whatever form it takes) seems like it's going to be incredible this year--a major strength, after it was pretty lousy last year (after the Beasley/Juancho trade). We look to have quality players going 10-11 deep, which is a good problem to have! Very excited to see how it all plays out--and to follow along with you guys.
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,056

Post#87 » by NuggetsWY » Sun Dec 20, 2020 2:38 pm

davoarid wrote:
Spoiler:
Long-time lurker here, first post, a few of my quick takeaways from the 3 preseason games:

1) MPJ should definitely be starting over Barton, not just because he's a better player, but because Barton's skillset seems uniquely suited to the 6th man role: so often last year when our starters went out our bench was left with a bunch of guys who couldn't create a shot off the dribble (or were scared to try). Definitely not a problem with Barton! Put him in the backcourt with Morris and Campazzo and give him the "you're Kobe Bryant on this group, shoot as much as you want" treatment. (Similar to the way that the Jazz used Jordan Clarkson against us in the playoffs.)

2) I have watched basketball for a long time and I'm not sure I've ever seen a player make such consistently terrible decisions with the ball as Bol Bol does. I don't know how much of it is an ego thing and how much of it is a lack of experience, but oh my God every time he shoots he's missing an obvious pass to an open player, and every time he passes he misses an open lane to the hoop. It's so maddening! I don't want to see him playing non-garbage-time minutes this year.

3) Echoing all the Zeke Nnaji love. How the hell did a guy like that slip to the second round? Really great all-around game. I'm sure Malone will give him time to develop, but I'm excited to see what he can do now. Ditto with PJ Dozier--if that 3-point shot is for real, he's a starting-caliber player right now.

4) That said, much less enthused with RJ Hampton, who gives me major "top scorer on a G League team" vibes.

5) Backup center: didn't really see enough from Cancar to get an opinion on him, but it looks like Malone has settled on Hartenstein, and that's fine by me. Defense is a lot worse than Plumlee, but he can actually do things with the ball in his hands, so, about a wash.

All that said.....I mean, I'm sure I'm biased because we just had back to back blowout wins, but our bench (whatever form it takes) seems like it's going to be incredible this year--a major strength, after it was pretty lousy last year (after the Beasley/Juancho trade). We look to have quality players going 10-11 deep, which is a good problem to have! Very excited to see how it all plays out--and to follow along with you guys.

Welcome - I was a lurker from almost the beginning of RealGM - didn't join until another forum died - I only had time for one forum back then.

Agree with much of what you say. It's going to be a fun season.

Return to Denver Nuggets