ImageImageImage

Nuggets Guards - Next Year

Moderator: THE J0KER

Which Four Current Nuggets Guards are most critical for next year? (Choose 4)

Poll ended at Fri Mar 19, 2021 3:03 pm

Murray
24%
Morris
24%
Campazzo
4%
Howard
2%
Barton
2%
Harris
2%
Dozier
20%
Hampton
20%

Total votes: 49

NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,056

Nuggets Guards - Next Year 

Post#1 » by NuggetsWY » Fri Mar 5, 2021 3:03 pm

The Nuggets have guards for half their roster - especially if you include Barton as a guard. Which guards should the front office consider least tradeable (or untradeable)? Or, look at it the other way, which guards could we use to acquire draft picks or combine with other players/picks to upgrade our forward slots?

I'll state my choices right off:
Barton is the most difficult guard for me to choose for and to choose against. He's learned how to fit well into the team's scheme in my opinion. But in two years, I just don't see him as part of our rotation - not at guard anyway. Except for Murray, he's probably our most tradeable guard and I think we should take advantage of that.

Murray - of course

Morris - Dozier - Hampton seem like the next tier.

I love Harris' defense, but he spends too much time on the injured list and with no disrespect intended to a quality man and player; I would not make him a starter. Of course I would love him coming off the bench.

Campazzo has really impressed me but his size is his handicap. His play is pretty great, but I wouldn't want to see him playing more than about 15 mpg.

Howard has a decent looking game, but like Campazzo, his size is his handicap. His strength is his shooting but frankly, the Nuggets have quite a bit of shooting. If he becomes an off-the-charts, I'd keep him around as a fifth guard. But I can say that about Campazzo and Harris too.
skywalker33
Nuggets Forum Mock Draft Champ
And1: 5,255

Re: Nuggets Guards - Next Year 

Post#2 » by skywalker33 » Fri Mar 5, 2021 5:54 pm

Already looking ahead to next year ? Ok, thought we might finish this year but here are my thoughts. I personally see it as a five-man rotation but if there are only 4 choices....

Murray, Morris, Dozier, Harris

Murray is an obvious choice, he's the fire of this team. Hopefully, he can start quicker next season and find consistency, he has All-Star potential

Morris has surprised me in the starting lineup, he seems to bring a steady influence to our SL. I've always liked him off the bench but given what he's brought as a starter, I could see him staying there for a while

Dozier has quietly developed into a quality rotation guy. It's apparent to me what he is bringing to the rotation, especially when he not in the lineup and our bench goes dsyfunctional. He's a good defender and can score a bit as needed, adds versatility and size

Harris can't be dismissed yet, not only will his $20MM salary keep him on the court when healthy, his defense is stellar and that one facet of his game will keep him on Malone's rotation. Wouldn't surprise me to see him come off the bench nor would it surprise me if the Nuggets resign him, hopefully at a much reduced rate. I could just as easily see him traded or sign on with another team after next year too.

I'd love to add Hampton to this list but I still think he needs one more year to work on his shooting. And honestly, it would not surprise me if we draft another wing, someone who can shoot and/or defend the wing.
Texas Chuck wrote:I'd like to see Utah, and Denver lose

Exactly as I've been saying all along !!
GeorgeSears
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,318

Post#3 » by GeorgeSears » Sat Mar 6, 2021 12:15 am

It's time for the Nuggets to part ways to Gary Harris. He's just not reliable enough. He's constantly injured and when he's not injured he's just too inconsistent on the court. Will Barton is also too inconsistent. Facu plays hard, but he's just not good enough to play long minutes in this league and is a turnover machine on offense.

I voted: Murray, Morris, Dozier and Hampton.
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,338

Post#4 » by The Rebel » Sat Mar 6, 2021 3:38 pm

GeorgeSears wrote:It's time for the Nuggets to part ways to Gary Harris. He's just not reliable enough. He's constantly injured and when he's not injured he's just too inconsistent on the court. Will Barton is also too inconsistent. Facu plays hard, but he's just not good enough to play long minutes in this league and is a turnover machine on offense.

I voted: Murray, Morris, Dozier and Hampton.

How much are you willing to pay to move Harris? That is the only way to part ways with him.
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,338

Post#5 » by The Rebel » Sat Mar 6, 2021 3:44 pm

Personally I think our long term focus should be on Murray, Morris, Hampton, and Dozier. I think those 4 with Dozier playing some minutes at backup SF could be a great backcourt to go with Porter and Jokic.

The issue to me is that Harris is here for at least the next year, his best value is going to be as an expiring contract next year at this point. I think he is fine at SG while we develop Hampton, who I think has the chance to be the long term answer next to Murray.

Howard I have not been impressed by at all, he is just too small and does not seem to have the handles to be effective as anything more than a spot up shooter and with the way Morris shoots on spot up shots I would prefer that Morris keeps that role.

Barton I think needs traded if he does not opt out this summer. He is to the point in his career that he is going to start declining and he still shows the tendency to panic, which is not something this team needs.

Campazzo is a good story, he is a fun guy to watch, but he is at the age that you cannot depend on him holding up long term as an undersized guard.
skywalker33
Nuggets Forum Mock Draft Champ
And1: 5,255

Post#6 » by skywalker33 » Sat Mar 6, 2021 8:32 pm

Campazzo is also getting up there in age, love the hustle and attitude he brings but I also expected some more of those amazing passes he’s known for from his Euro days, haven’t seen it consistently
Texas Chuck wrote:I'd like to see Utah, and Denver lose

Exactly as I've been saying all along !!
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,056

Post#7 » by NuggetsWY » Sun Mar 7, 2021 3:12 am

skywalker33 wrote:Already looking ahead to next year ? Ok, thought we might finish this year but here are my thoughts.

Yeah, I get that, but with all of the guards we have, should we be emphasizing the guards we plan to keep? That's my opinion and that's what I was thinking when I started this thread. :cowboy:

Return to Denver Nuggets