ImageImageImage

The New Improved 2021-2022 Trade/Offseason Thread

Moderator: THE J0KER

DaFan334
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,333

Re: The New Improved 2021-2022 Trade/Offseason Thread 

Post#481 » by DaFan334 » Sat May 21, 2022 7:36 pm

If Matisse Thybulle is actually available this offseason, I would love the Nuggets to make a move for him. He is an elite defender and could be hidden enough on offense with Murray and MPJ's shooting. He would have some obvious limitations because of his lack of offense but still would bring something the Nuggets desperately need, in someone who can stay in front of the player he is defending.
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,338

Post#482 » by The Rebel » Sun May 22, 2022 2:19 pm

DaFan334 wrote:If Matisse Thybulle is actually available this offseason, I would love the Nuggets to make a move for him. He is an elite defender and could be hidden enough on offense with Murray and MPJ's shooting. He would have some obvious limitations because of his lack of offense but still would bring something the Nuggets desperately need, in someone who can stay in front of the player he is defending.

As long as Gordon keeps improving his spot up shooting than I think we would be fine with Thybulle at SG with the starters, the issues come when we have 2 guys who cannot shoot with the starters.

To me the question is what he will cost, we don't have much to give. Although he had a pretty bad playoffs this year so I am sure the asking price is lower than what it should have been.
Richard Miller
Veteran
And1: 2,884

Post#483 » by Richard Miller » Sun May 22, 2022 6:03 pm

The Rebel wrote:To me the question is what he will cost, we don't have much to give. Although he had a pretty bad playoffs this year so I am sure the asking price is lower than what it should have been.

Yea that, Nuggets mostly can offer Barton/Morris, Greens and dunno, this year's pick, not sure 76ers would be interested in any of that. Not to mention that with some luck/fingers crossed they could draft a similar talent and use those for something else
manchambo
Starter
And1: 836

Post#484 » by manchambo » Mon May 23, 2022 8:48 pm

The Rebel wrote:My comments from the general board Connelly thread, can someone explain to me why losing Connelly is the end of the world?

The Rebel wrote:The point is maybe we need a different voice in the front office at this point. You have not convinced me that he is the right answer just because the Minny owners have him as a top 5 front office guy, my point is simple. He took over that 57 win team, announced a down year, and next thing you know it was a 36 and then a 30 win team. When Gallo got hurt it was obvious that was mismanaged, but the fact is his big signing the year he joined the Nuggets was JJ HIckson, after multiple stops and showing he was a failure. He panicked and signed Randy Foye, after he was convinced Igoudala was coming back despite everybody knowing Igoudala was gone during the playoff series, but he made some major mistakes. He also waited way to long to trade the veterans after it became obvious that they did not want Faried, Gallo bailed, and Chandler became injury done.

There may not be a better NBA talent scout than Connelly, I would love to see someone argue otherwise, he is an amazing scout and not just for Jokic. FAct is though we have 1 pick in the next 2 years. Jokic is also entering his prime, we cannot afford to develop a bunch of young guys and compete for a championship. We have a lot of young talent that ended up injured but they need development time and have none because of Connelly's biggest issue with building a team.

Connelly gets attached to our guys, it is like he is close friends with most of them. Just about everybody he has traded, he traded months to years too late. 3 years ago we had a stacked team, Vanderbilt a guy who started on a playoff team couldn't get a minute of time here, Beasley was the 5th guard. By the time he traded them they had next to no value.

He has found a couple of young guys floating around the Gleague and overseas that we got as free agents like Dozier and Torrey Craig, but overall he has been terrible in free agency since the start. We signed JaMychael Green and Jeff Green on the same day, despite having NNaji, Bol, and Cancar who all play Power Forward, meanwhile we let McGee walk after giving up 2 2nd round picks for him and never signed a true backup Center until Cousins.

Connelly came to the Nuggets with 3 1st round picks in 2016, the KNicks pick, and the Knicks swap that became Murray. He did his job, he built a very talented young team, and then he has made 2 years of mistakes. Maybe the Nuggets wouldn't mind to get a guy who is better at knowing when to make trades and how to fill roster holes through Free Agency. They are different skill sets.

End of the world? Probably not. But as the Nuggets acknowledge, this is a huge offseason. It's a huge offseason because they've managed to build a team that, with the right moves, is a championship contender. Now they will navigate it without the architect of that team. And the only apparent reason for that is cheapness, which is depressing, and does not bode well for the team's willingness to make any bold (expensive) move to ensure real contention during Jokic's prime.

Your criticisms of Connelly are valid, but it's not like there's any reason to think they'll replace him with someone better. That would cost money that they obviously aren't willing to shell out. So we have to hope they find yet another diamond in the rough for cheap. Just--depressing.
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#485 » by The Rebel » Mon May 23, 2022 9:35 pm

manchambo wrote:
The Rebel wrote:My comments from the general board Connelly thread, can someone explain to me why losing Connelly is the end of the world?

The Rebel wrote:The point is maybe we need a different voice in the front office at this point. You have not convinced me that he is the right answer just because the Minny owners have him as a top 5 front office guy, my point is simple. He took over that 57 win team, announced a down year, and next thing you know it was a 36 and then a 30 win team. When Gallo got hurt it was obvious that was mismanaged, but the fact is his big signing the year he joined the Nuggets was JJ HIckson, after multiple stops and showing he was a failure. He panicked and signed Randy Foye, after he was convinced Igoudala was coming back despite everybody knowing Igoudala was gone during the playoff series, but he made some major mistakes. He also waited way to long to trade the veterans after it became obvious that they did not want Faried, Gallo bailed, and Chandler became injury done.

There may not be a better NBA talent scout than Connelly, I would love to see someone argue otherwise, he is an amazing scout and not just for Jokic. FAct is though we have 1 pick in the next 2 years. Jokic is also entering his prime, we cannot afford to develop a bunch of young guys and compete for a championship. We have a lot of young talent that ended up injured but they need development time and have none because of Connelly's biggest issue with building a team.

Connelly gets attached to our guys, it is like he is close friends with most of them. Just about everybody he has traded, he traded months to years too late. 3 years ago we had a stacked team, Vanderbilt a guy who started on a playoff team couldn't get a minute of time here, Beasley was the 5th guard. By the time he traded them they had next to no value.

He has found a couple of young guys floating around the Gleague and overseas that we got as free agents like Dozier and Torrey Craig, but overall he has been terrible in free agency since the start. We signed JaMychael Green and Jeff Green on the same day, despite having NNaji, Bol, and Cancar who all play Power Forward, meanwhile we let McGee walk after giving up 2 2nd round picks for him and never signed a true backup Center until Cousins.

Connelly came to the Nuggets with 3 1st round picks in 2016, the KNicks pick, and the Knicks swap that became Murray. He did his job, he built a very talented young team, and then he has made 2 years of mistakes. Maybe the Nuggets wouldn't mind to get a guy who is better at knowing when to make trades and how to fill roster holes through Free Agency. They are different skill sets.

End of the world? Probably not. But as the Nuggets acknowledge, this is a huge offseason. It's a huge offseason because they've managed to build a team that, with the right moves, is a championship contender. Now they will navigate it without the architect of that team. And the only apparent reason for that is cheapness, which is depressing, and does not bode well for the team's willingness to make any bold (expensive) move to ensure real contention during Jokic's prime.

Your criticisms of Connelly are valid, but it's not like there's any reason to think they'll replace him with someone better. That would cost money that they obviously aren't willing to shell out. So we have to hope they find yet another diamond in the rough for cheap. Just--depressing.

No team has ever offered a GM a piece of the team, that is not being cheap.

Fact is this off-season is so important because this team has bleed talent the last 3 years to the point where a team 2 seasons removed from a conference finals are worried for the 3rd summer in a row about moving firmly into a contender. 3 years I. A row we all say the same thing and the last two Connelly and Booth failed us, so why would this off-season be different?
skywalker33
Nuggets Forum Mock Draft Champ
And1: 5,256

Post#486 » by skywalker33 » Mon May 23, 2022 11:01 pm

End of the world ?? Probably not but when you lose talent it's not good for any franchise, just creates an unknown.

I am not a fan of TC leaving, especially within our division. I always thought he had a good vision, was patient working the draft and was a good talent evaluator. However, I do agree we may benefit from having a new voice, hopefully a stronger personality to get us to the next level. His trades often left me feeling he gave too much away. The sky never fell when Ujiri left, nor when AK47 left but still we now have some questions to deal with.

The Rebel wrote:There may not be a better NBA talent scout than Connelly, I would love to see someone argue otherwise, he is an amazing scout and not just for Jokic. Fact is though we have 1 pick in the next 2 years. Jokic is also entering his prime, we cannot afford to develop a bunch of young guys and compete for a championship. We have a lot of young talent that ended up injured but they need development time and have none because of Connelly's biggest issue with building a team.

While he was a good DRAFT evaluator, can't say I always agreed with his free agents and trades, felt like he was over-matched on those fronts Arturus helped support him there and it showed when he left to CHI.

The Rebel wrote:Connelly gets attached to our guys, it is like he is close friends with most of them. Just about everybody he has traded, he traded months to years too late. 3 years ago we had a stacked team, Vanderbilt a guy who started on a playoff team couldn't get a minute of time here, Beasley was the 5th guard. By the time he traded them they had next to no value.

His BIGGEST flaw that I won't miss about TC

manchambo wrote:End of the world? Probably not. But as the Nuggets acknowledge, this is a huge offseason. It's a huge offseason because they've managed to build a team that, with the right moves, is a championship contender. Now they will navigate it without the architect of that team. And the only apparent reason for that is cheapness, which is depressing, and does not bode well for the team's willingness to make any bold (expensive) move to ensure real contention during Jokic's prime.

I haven't heard this offseason is any bigger than many others, health is the vital issue IMO. And as for NEEDING the architect, do you ever speak to the builder who designed your home ??? I'd bet not, the team will go as far as Malone can direct them (now there's cause for alarm). And you have no idea about this teams future, it's still an unknown.

manchambo wrote:Your criticisms of Connelly are valid, but it's not like there's any reason to think they'll replace him with someone better. That would cost money that they obviously aren't willing to shell out. So we have to hope they find yet another diamond in the rough for cheap. Just--depressing.

And there is no reason to think we can't hire someone better than TC, just fuels my belief you are just an anarchist waiting to spout.
Texas Chuck wrote:I'd like to see Utah, and Denver lose

Exactly as I've been saying all along !!
skywalker33

Post#487 » by skywalker33 » Tue May 24, 2022 2:29 am

Thinking outside the box, can we trade Barton for their 1st now ??? Hell, I'd throw in Rivers and a 2nd if they'd throw in Anthony Edwards

eathb_au
Analyst
And1: 1,116

Post#488 » by eathb_au » Tue May 24, 2022 4:25 am

Our last 3 GMs/POBO:

Tim Connelly

Masai Ujiri

Mark Warkenstein/Bret Bearup

All were great in their own way. In fact 2/3 of them won Exec of the Year. The one that didn't win it was Connelly.

I'm not worried about the replacement.
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#489 » by The Rebel » Tue May 24, 2022 2:38 pm

eathb_au wrote:Our last 3 GMs/POBO:

Tim Connelly

Masai Ujiri

Mark Warkenstein/Bret Bearup

All were great in their own way. In fact 2/3 of them won Exec of the Year. The one that didn't win it was Connelly.

I'm not worried about the replacement.

The one previous to WArkentein and Bearup was Kiki who also won executive of the year I believe. The truth is that I think Connelly is in the argument for worst of the bunch with Kiki.
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#490 » by The Rebel » Tue May 24, 2022 2:42 pm

skywalker33 wrote:Thinking outside the box, can we trade Barton for their 1st now ??? Hell, I'd throw in Rivers and a 2nd if they'd throw in Anthony Edwards

Connelly isn't going to trade Edwards any time soon, he has way to much value. Maybe we can do JaMychael Green and Barton for Beasley, VAnderbilt, and their 1st.
Exp0sed
Head Coach
And1: 5,859

Post#491 » by Exp0sed » Sun May 29, 2022 9:54 am

There were reports that Micic is interested (after his recent personal and team success at the Euroleague) in playing in the NBA

the issue is that OKC hold his draft rights but he doesn't wanna play there citing the abudance of guards on their roster
I have a feeling OKC would be open to accommodating him and not stand in his way, meaning he could be had for peanuts probably

I would like Denver to get him, if the price is really cheap like a 2nd rounder or something

What do u guys think, do Nuggets fans have any interest in such a trade?
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#492 » by The Rebel » Sun May 29, 2022 5:59 pm

Exp0sed wrote:There were reports that Micic is interested (after his recent personal and team success at the Euroleague) in playing in the NBA

the issue is that OKC hold his draft rights but he doesn't wanna play there citing the abudance of guards on their roster
I have a feeling OKC would be open to accommodating him and not stand in his way, meaning he could be had for peanuts probably

I would like Denver to get him, if the price is really cheap like a 2nd rounder or something

What do u guys think, do Nuggets fans have any interest in such a trade?

Rumors were out that the Bulls were trying to get him last summer, we've only got a future 2nd available and I am not sure we want him as it would cost a good part of the MLE to sign him.
NYG
RealGM
And1: 2,600

Post#493 » by NYG » Sat Jun 11, 2022 2:35 am

If the Knicks wanted Monte Morris post-draft night, what are the lowest protections you would require on a Knicks 2023 1st for Morris type deal?
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#494 » by The Rebel » Sat Jun 11, 2022 3:35 pm

NYG wrote:If the Knicks wanted Monte Morris post-draft night, what are the lowest protections you would require on a Knicks 2023 1st for Morris type deal?

I doubt we trade Morris for any kind of future pick unless it is coming with some players that we want.

I posted in another thread I would do something like MOrris, JaMychal Green, and the 21st for Burks, Walker, REddish and the 11th, but I am not even sure that is the best deal we could get. Even average starters are bringing back a young prospect and 2 picks straight up without taking back basically dead money.
Coeur
Assistant Coach
And1: 668

Post#495 » by Coeur » Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:23 am

Now it’s time to turn MonteMorris and Barton into one player. Bogdanovic is ideal. Buddy would do
skywalker33

Post#496 » by skywalker33 » Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:47 am

Coeur wrote:Now it’s time to turn MonteMorris and Barton into one player. Bogdanovic is ideal. Buddy would do

Yeah, this team doesn't need ANY MORE defense :banghead:

Coeur
Assistant Coach
And1: 668

Post#497 » by Coeur » Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:03 am

skywalker33 wrote:
Coeur wrote:Now it’s time to turn MonteMorris and Barton into one player. Bogdanovic is ideal. Buddy would do

Turning 2 non defenders into 1 is taking one more non defender out of the rotation. Not losing a ton of D from either Morris or Barton. Braun and Watson both add D.

In a perfect world Morris + Barton gets a 2 way guy. If not possible it would still be better to consolidate into a better offensive piece.

There’s no chance MM + Barton is close to getting Malcom Brogdon is there?
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#498 » by The Rebel » Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:37 am

Coeur wrote:
skywalker33 wrote:

Turning 2 non defenders into 1 is taking one more non defender out of the rotation. Not losing a ton of D from either Morris or Barton. Braun and Watson both add D.

In a perfect world Morris + Barton gets a 2 way guy. If not possible it would still be better to consolidate into a better offensive piece.

There’s no chance MM + Barton is close to getting Malcom Brogdon is there?

The Pacers would probably like that deal, but I don't see any need to trade for another injury prone guy not to mention that he also left a contender for a bad team because he wanted the ball more and wanted to be the star.

If you are counting or rookies to play legit defense for a contender than you need to share what you are smoking. Just lack of respect from refs and time to adjust to the speed of the game is going to take them both time, and Watson is at least a year away from being a guy that they even hope is ready to contribute.

Return to Denver Nuggets