Nuggets 2021 Off Season

Moderator: THE J0KER

The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,338

Re: Nuggets 2021 Off Season 

Post#101 » by The Rebel » Mon Aug 2, 2021 3:41 am

I am not nor have I ever been a Bronco fan, but 1 thing I will say is that delusional or not they would not put up with half the **** Nuggets fans just shrug off. I remember back in 2019 I was listening to Altitude and bronco fans were calling in and the announcers were agreeing that the coach and Elway himself should be fired, they missed the playoffs 3 years in a row. I called in and asked the announcers why they were so quick to call for the Broncos coach and GM to be fired but defended the Nuggets GM and coach who had just missed the playoffs for 5 years in a row, their response was to admit that they did not have the same standards for the Nuggets. Why is that? 1 team got in trouble for spending to much money to win, the other never has been accused of spending too much money. 1 team has made it clear that only super bowls matter, the other are just happy if they make the playoffs. Why do so many Nuggets fans expect greatness from 1 franchise and give a pass to another franchise while making excuses? To me the only difference between the Rockies and Nuggets ownership is that the Rockies owners are dumb enough to deal with the public.
Richard Miller
Veteran
And1: 2,884

Post#102 » by Richard Miller » Mon Aug 2, 2021 7:02 am

The Rebel wrote:We traded Juancho and Beasley for a combined $4 million a year we were reportedly apart on extensions, for them we got a late 1st and cap fodder.

Juancho sucked then and sucks now, so good riddance tbh, Beas returned 1st which was his value back then. As for the Farried and those old contracts idk, probably you could go 30 or 40 years back and point out all the errors, but what's the use now, Nuggets back then were a totally different team. I'm not saying it's wrong, just that Farried, Chandler et all were probably done to death across topics years ago, water under the bridge.

Lakers btw lucked out in LBJ choosing them and then literally forcing AD out of the Pelicans, without that all their TPEs and whatnots would mean zilch, they still would've been bottom feeders. Raptors didn't exactly trade their Jokic, they traded a guy who was failing for years and they didn't plan to pay anyway. And are now back to being a 20-win team.

Anyhow, Nuggets had a pretty good and deep team for those few weeks in April when everybody were healthy, would've been another story if nobody got hurt.
Manolito
Senior
And1: 392

Post#103 » by Manolito » Mon Aug 2, 2021 10:15 pm

Barton and Jamychal are back

32Mx2
17Mx2

Overpaid but at least short contracts and makes no difference from what they were making this season

Both contracts could be tradeable Next offseason where we don't have any money for FA

Sent from my GM1913 using RealGM mobile app
skywalker33
Nuggets Forum Mock Draft Champ
And1: 5,255

Post#104 » by skywalker33 » Mon Aug 2, 2021 10:49 pm

The Rebel wrote: To me the only difference between the Rockies and Nuggets ownership is that the Rockies owners are dumb enough to deal with the public.

The best way to lose ALL respect around here is to compared the competency of Rockies mgmt w/ Nuggets mgmt, most stupid thing I've ever seen you write.
Texas Chuck wrote:I'd like to see Utah, and Denver lose

Exactly as I've been saying all along !!
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,338

Post#105 » by The Rebel » Mon Aug 2, 2021 11:02 pm

skywalker33 wrote:
The Rebel wrote: To me the only difference between the Rockies and Nuggets ownership is that the Rockies owners are dumb enough to deal with the public.

The best way to lose ALL respect around here is to compared the competency of Rockies mgmt w/ Nuggets mgmt, most stupid thing I've ever seen you write.

Oh the old personal attack because you cannot admit the truth. The fact that you think it is stupid says more about you than the facts. Tell me how they are different? The Rockies have at least made the world series, and while they don't spend a ton on free agency how many assets have they given to cut payroll. People threw a fit when they gave up cash to move a contract last year, how many times have to Kroenkes given up cash and picks to move salary? How many years have we heard that we lose assistant coaches due to the organization not paying them? I will give you a hint it is more than the Rockies. I knew you were a homer but I didn't know you could be this dumb, like the media who kiss Kroenke's ass for access you are obviously cannot see reality.
skywalker33

Post#106 » by skywalker33 » Mon Aug 2, 2021 11:35 pm

The Rebel wrote:
skywalker33 wrote:

Oh the old personal attack because you cannot admit the truth. The fact that you think it is stupid says more about you than the facts. Tell me how they are different? The Rockies have at least made the world series, and while they don't spend a ton on free agency how many assets have they given to cut payroll. People threw a fit when they gave up cash to move a contract last year, how many times have to Kroenkes given up cash and picks to move salary? How many years have we heard that we lose assistant coaches due to the organization not paying them? I will give you a hint it is more than the Rockies. I knew you were a homer but I didn't know you could be this dumb, like the media who kiss Kroenke's ass for access you are obviously cannot see reality.

Please, Rebel, that was not a PERSONAL attack on you, just on your comparison of Nuggets management and that of the Rockies mgmt. The Rockies are as close to the old Donald Sterling Clippers I can think of. The Nuggets at least have shown moxie when drafting, at least enough to get us into a position to contend for a Championship. The last time the Rockies had ANY success was back in 2007 (and were swept when they were at full strength and well-rested. with absolutely no injuries), a decade and a half ago and NOTHING since or before for that matter. The Rockies care more about their Party Deck and making money than putting a decent product on the field, at least the Nuggets have made some moves to strengthen the team IMO, the Rockies just gave away not only one of the premier players in the game but tossed on $50M to pay the guy for the Cardinals, are you likening that to the Faried move ?? 20x worse IMO.

Like them or not, both Malone and TC are competent at their jobs, tell me ONE Rockies GM or skipper who didn't have his head put up their butts hamstrung by the Monfort Bros? At least KSE has sports entertainment and basketball knowledge behind them. And the Rockies HAVE spent money in free agenct, many times. They just don't have a Frickin' CLUE what they're doing.

You point out how we have lost good assistants, we actually HELPED Unseld become a HC because the organization saw his potential, helped him better himself. Many people, myself included, can see that as being a sign of an organization that is progressive in dealing with people. Never heard a word about Unseld wanting out because he was underpaid. Even Ujiri was released (yes, for a better contract) but also because he WANTED to go back to TOR which Josh Kroenke, as his friend, saw was a good opportunity for him. See that as you like, I'll take my Blue-n-Gold glasses and see the glass as half full than looking at it bitterly as half-empty.

I can acknowledge your point about KSE being on the cheap side, but we do not have the media market that the Lakers do, meaning the financial situation is different. But KSE has lifted BOTH the Avs and the Nuggets into respectable organizations that are both team-friendly and respectable entities, NOBODY can say that about the Colorado Rockies and save face when looking in the mirror IMO.

I support and agree with most points you make, I admire your analysis of this Nuggets team and the NBA in general. But this is like comparing a carp to Charisma Carpenter, it doesn't work.

NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,056

Post#107 » by NuggetsWY » Tue Aug 3, 2021 12:59 am

I really like adding Jeff Green. He may be an "elder statesman" in the NBA but he can still play - and I love his defense. He can do a solid job on three positions and often cover the other two slots if needed. His shooting last year was pretty much his best ever and playing with Jokic should give him lots of long-range shots. I sorta expect him to play around 20-25 mpg, so probably off the bench - but I wouldn't be shocked or upset to see him as a starter at times during the season.

I like the Barton contract. It's a reward and keeps him here for a time when we can use him - plus it should give him freedom when it might benefit him the most.

I also don't mind the JaMychal Green signing. He played less than 20 mpg last year and that makes it difficult for some players to be effective. If you look at his shooting - it was pretty good. For his minutes played, he had decent rebounding. I'm hoping he's more effective this year.

Jokic
Porter - Ja Green
Gordon - Jeff Green
Barton
Campazzo --- and others
THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets
And1: 6,521

Post#108 » by THE J0KER » Tue Aug 3, 2021 1:02 am

Before this offseason, my expectations for the Nuggets is to make 2021-22 season transitional as a prelude for the very next 2022-23 season where we should be ready to fight for the title with MVP-contender Jokic, recovered new old Murray, all-star level Porter, brand new high-competitive head coach, fully integrated Gordon, and with very notable two-way guard starter (look at Jrue effect on Bucks!). To make that FO should get rid of coach Malone and Will Barton and focused on backcourt improvement only.

As I feared, our FO doing so far almost everything opposite to this simple plan. Malone is here to stay, Barton (who is so unfit for the Denver system) contract is prolonged and is even more overpaid, improvements are focussed on already elite frontcourt line with signed two Greens which is not only potentially make Gordon unhappy but also is going to be a problem for Bol Bol and Nnaji development.

I'm sad and unhappy with how things going for the Nuggets.
THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets
And1: 6,521

Post#109 » by THE J0KER » Tue Aug 3, 2021 1:25 am

NuggetsWY wrote:...
Jokic
Porter - Ja Green
Gordon - Jeff Green
Barton
Campazzo --- and others

For me, it is disturbing if we look at basic/natural position for every current Nuggets player still under contract:

C: Jokic

PF: Porter Gordon Green1 Green2 Bol Nnaji Cancar

SF:
. . .Barton
SG:

PG: (Murray) Morris Campazzo Howard
TunaFish
Head Coach
And1: 5,788

Post#110 » by TunaFish » Tue Aug 3, 2021 1:53 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Canned in Denver.
skywalker33

Post#111 » by skywalker33 » Tue Aug 3, 2021 2:11 am

NuggetsWY wrote:I like the Barton contract. It's a reward

Gotta ask, a reward for WHAT...making it back to the last game of the playoffs ???? Right now all I consider him to be is a necessary evil, a future trade asset, and someone to keep Murray's place warm. I do like it's only 2-yrs.

Richard Miller
Veteran

Post#112 » by Richard Miller » Tue Aug 3, 2021 7:57 am

THE J0KER wrote:As I feared, our FO doing so far almost everything opposite to this simple plan. Malone is here to stay, Barton (who is so unfit for the Denver system) contract is prolonged and is even more overpaid, improvements are focussed on already elite frontcourt line with signed two Greens which is not only potentially make Gordon unhappy but also is going to be a problem for Bol Bol and Nnaji development.

I'm sad and unhappy with how things going for the Nuggets.

You seriously thought Malone is going to go? And be replaced by who exactly? Come on. The two Greens will mostly be backup PF/C and Bol will have G League for development, if he's even on the roster when the season starts.
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#113 » by NuggetsWY » Tue Aug 3, 2021 6:38 pm

skywalker33 wrote:

Gotta ask, a reward for WHAT...making it back to the last game of the playoffs ???? Right now all I consider him to be is a necessary evil, a future trade asset, and someone to keep Murray's place warm. I do like it's only 2-yrs.

A reward for giving his best on his occasional court appearances. I agree that the best part of his contract is "2 years". In the meanwhile, he can hopefully play some SG. With our front court, no one except Malone would see any reason for Barton to play SF -- unless we have at least 2 major injuries to our front-court.
skywalker33

Post#114 » by skywalker33 » Wed Aug 4, 2021 9:09 pm

NuggetsWY wrote:
skywalker33 wrote:

A reward for giving his best on his occasional court appearances. I agree that the best part of his contract is "2 years". In the meanwhile, he can hopefully play some SG. With our front court, no one except Malone would see any reason for Barton to play SF -- unless we have at least 2 major injuries to our front-court.

So if I show up 16 out of 20 workdays a month, I too should get a reward....like that logic, hope it works for me. Regardless, he's here on the team getting a nice undeserved raise because of Murray's injury. Just hope the Nuggets can utilize him as an trade asset when Murray's back.

TunaFish
Head Coach
And1: 5,788

Post#115 » by TunaFish » Thu Aug 5, 2021 12:38 am

skywalker33 wrote:
NuggetsWY wrote:
skywalker33 wrote:Gotta ask, a reward for WHAT...making it back to the last game of the playoffs ???? Right now all I consider him to be is a necessary evil, a future trade asset, and someone to keep Murray's place warm. I do like it's only 2-yrs.

So if I show up 16 out of 20 workdays a month, I too should get a reward....like that logic, hope it works for me. Regardless, he's here on the team getting a nice undeserved raise because of Murray's injury. Just hope the Nuggets can utilize him as an trade asset when Murray's back.

I feel your pain about Barton. If he could stay healthy, the Nuggets could be a force but he doesn't stay healthy. However, Tim Connelly probably knew the risk when he resigned Barton. Problem is, absent a trade, there were no good free agent alternatives available particularly at the MLE level that could effectively replace him.

The 26th pick is always a long shot. A trade means giving up an asset and the way the Nuggets are built, we are headed for three Max contracts with few tradable players that we want to give up. We are short on draft picks. As long as Connelly believes in Barton, this is the chosen path.

Barton will start at shooting guard and fill in at small forward. That is until he's hurt.
Canned in Denver.
skywalker33

Post#116 » by skywalker33 » Sat Aug 7, 2021 12:38 am

So, interesting thought, are the two Green's redundant ? The more I look at them the more they remind me of each other. That may not be a bad thing, but I do wonder if we couldn't have used resources to diversify a bit further, where we might need it more.

NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#117 » by NuggetsWY » Sat Aug 7, 2021 12:26 pm

skywalker33 wrote:So, interesting thought, are the two Green's redundant ? The more I look at them the more they remind me of each other. That may not be a bad thing, but I do wonder if we couldn't have used resources to diversify a bit further, where we might need it more.

Redundancy isn't bad - think "injury". It seems our forward slots are fairly solid.

Even with Murray injured, I think our PG slot is fine.

I too am thinking "where we might need it more". As I have thought for years: backup center. But I'm a firm believer in one veteran backup (McGee?) and one young, developing backup (Bol?) - especially when a team is so dependent on their starter.

The other position that concerns me is SG or SF/SG combo - especially on defense. Dozier seems like he can work into that slot nicely - at least as a backup but perhaps a starter. We have plenty of guards, but most of them are too short for this position on a regular basis IMO.
Richard Miller
Veteran

Post#118 » by Richard Miller » Sat Aug 7, 2021 2:54 pm

skywalker33 wrote:So, interesting thought, are the two Green's redundant ? The more I look at them the more they remind me of each other. That may not be a bad thing, but I do wonder if we couldn't have used resources to diversify a bit further, where we might need it more.

Probably no, at least one of them (likely Jeff) will have to get regular minutes at backup C, if the Nuggets are serious about reducing Jokic's minutes.
skywalker33

Post#119 » by skywalker33 » Sat Aug 7, 2021 6:08 pm

Was really giving some thought to the Rebel's FO thoughts and while I dismiss the Rockies comparison, it did leave me wondering why other teams can obtain better free agents and can turn trades into assets better. Realistically, we do try to get more out of sub-tier free agents like the Green's or Rivers or even Facu, seemingly with the hope/expectation that will turn into more than they are. We draft pretty well, but is that the expent of TC evaluation levels ?

Richard Miller
Veteran

Post#120 » by Richard Miller » Sat Aug 7, 2021 6:37 pm

skywalker33 wrote:Was really giving some thought to the Rebel's FO thoughts and while I dismiss the Rockies comparison, it did leave me wondering why other teams can obtain better free agents and can turn trades into assets better. Realistically, we do try to get more out of sub-tier free agents like the Green's or Rivers or even Facu, seemingly with the hope/expectation that will turn into more than they are. We draft pretty well, but is that the expent of TC evaluation levels ?

Which ones exactly? Speaking of guards, would you rather have Reggie Jackson @22M or Lowry @90M or Ball @80M...? Most of the FAs in this free agency were either over-payed or wouldn't move the needle for Nuggets or both. Not like they had a chance at Kawhi and missed.

Return to Denver Nuggets