ImageImageImage

Nuggets 2021 Off Season

Moderator: THE J0KER

Richard Miller
Veteran
And1: 2,884

Re: Nuggets 2021 Off Season 

Post#141 » by Richard Miller » Fri Aug 13, 2021 12:44 pm

The Rebel wrote:Just like the biggest problem against the Jazz was actually Clarkson, we had nobody that could match or slow him down until Harris came back and shut him down.

Dunno, I'd say holding Mitchell to 20 instead of 50 was still far more important than whatever Clarkson did or didn't do. In any case, bench looks more than decent atm, everybody can shoot and play defence (minus the rookie), there are a couple of veterans too, don't need some overpriced chucker imo.
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,338

Post#142 » by The Rebel » Fri Aug 13, 2021 12:51 pm

Manolito wrote:It is not fair to blame TC for not getting one of the best value contracts in this offseason (Schroder). At least they did not screw it up, short contracts to have some flexibility next offseason as we will be operating over the cap

My two complaints are:
Jeff Geen as backup C. I think McGee would have covered much better that role bringing some rim protection, but it was impossible to play him together with Jokic, meanwhile Green can. His age and mileage....he might fall off a cliff this season. SIgn Millsap for the minimum and MLE could have been better spent.

Why Cancar as 15th slot. He is Jokic´s best friend, but he is the 6th PF in the roster. Any minutes he gets should be Nnaji´s or Bol´s. It was free to waive him, why not using that slot in a young SG/SF or vet guy like A Bradley with minimum contract. Nevertheless, this will have very little influence in season success.

I would say he screwed it up pretty bad this summer. Those short term contracts are 2 year deals with player options on the 2nd year, they cannot be traded next offseason without the player opting in, which means they can decide if they are being traded.

Jeff Green plays some backup SF and mostly backup PF, Jaymichael Green has the much bigger and longer history as being a Center, plus Nnaji is 6'11" so we do have some backup Centers on the roster. Millsap did fall off the cliff during the lockdown last year, while he had a few moments here and there all year, he was only in the rotation at the end because of who he was for this team.

As for Cancar, you want the 15th guy to have a positive affect on your stars and to come in and not make stupid mistakes when they do get meaningful minutes. That is what Cancar does, but he is not the 15th man, truth is he is more like the 11 man and Bol is not in front of him on the depth Chart. Despite his lack of physical talent it is clear that Cancar is easily a better player than Bol.
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#143 » by The Rebel » Fri Aug 13, 2021 12:52 pm

Richard Miller wrote:
The Rebel wrote:Just like the biggest problem against the Jazz was actually Clarkson, we had nobody that could match or slow him down until Harris came back and shut him down.

Dunno, I'd say holding Mitchell to 20 instead of 50 was still far more important than whatever Clarkson did or didn't do. In any case, bench looks more than decent atm, everybody can shoot and play defence (minus the rookie), there are a couple of veterans too, don't need some overpriced chucker imo.

Maybe we didn't watch the same bench last year, where teams just packed the paint and dared our bench to shoot, and our bench struggled game after game.
Richard Miller
Veteran

Post#144 » by Richard Miller » Fri Aug 13, 2021 2:11 pm

The Rebel wrote:
Richard Miller wrote:

Maybe we didn't watch the same bench last year, where teams just packed the paint and dared our bench to shoot, and our bench struggled game after game.

Last year, you mean in the bubble? I'm not really sure what or who exactly you have in mind.
skywalker33
Nuggets Forum Mock Draft Champ
And1: 5,255

Post#145 » by skywalker33 » Fri Aug 13, 2021 2:32 pm

Our bench was really horrid with outside shooting last year, especially after Murray went down.
Texas Chuck wrote:I'd like to see Utah, and Denver lose

Exactly as I've been saying all along !!
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,056

Post#146 » by NuggetsWY » Fri Aug 13, 2021 2:57 pm

NBA average 3 pt shooting is around 36-37%.
As a team, the Nuggets shot 37.7% and held their opponents to 36.3.

Last year we had 9 players shoot over 36% number. But that includes Nnaji & Bol, who did not play much.

Starters over 36%:

Porter
Murray
Jokic
Barton

Bench players over 36%:

Green
Morris
Rivers
Bol --- 160 minutes
Nnaji - 397 minutes

Compazzo was close
Manolito
Senior
And1: 392

Post#147 » by Manolito » Sat Aug 14, 2021 8:53 am

The Rebel wrote:
Manolito wrote:It is not fair to blame TC for not getting one of the best value contracts in this offseason (Schroder). At least they did not screw it up, short contracts to have some flexibility next offseason as we will be operating over the cap

My two complaints are:
Jeff Geen as backup C. I think McGee would have covered much better that role bringing some rim protection, but it was impossible to play him together with Jokic, meanwhile Green can. His age and mileage....he might fall off a cliff this season. SIgn Millsap for the minimum and MLE could have been better spent.

Why Cancar as 15th slot. He is Jokic´s best friend, but he is the 6th PF in the roster. Any minutes he gets should be Nnaji´s or Bol´s. It was free to waive him, why not using that slot in a young SG/SF or vet guy like A Bradley with minimum contract. Nevertheless, this will have very little influence in season success.

I would say he screwed it up pretty bad this summer. Those short term contracts are 2 year deals with player options on the 2nd year, they cannot be traded next offseason without the player opting in, which means they can decide if they are being traded.

Jeff Green plays some backup SF and mostly backup PF, Jaymichael Green has the much bigger and longer history as being a Center, plus Nnaji is 6'11" so we do have some backup Centers on the roster. Millsap did fall off the cliff during the lockdown last year, while he had a few moments here and there all year, he was only in the rotation at the end because of who he was for this team.

As for Cancar, you want the 15th guy to have a positive affect on your stars and to come in and not make stupid mistakes when they do get meaningful minutes. That is what Cancar does, but he is not the 15th man, truth is he is more like the 11 man and Bol is not in front of him on the depth Chart. Despite his lack of physical talent it is clear that Cancar is easily a better player than Bol.
Where have you read all contracts have PO? According to spotrac (pretty reliable source), Barton's contract has 30M guaranteed with 2M in unlikely bonuses, no player option. Furthermore, it is decreasing. He is needed while Jamal is out and as a 14.5M expiring, he should be easy to move next offseason

I have not found anything about Jamychal's contract but I don't think second year is a PO.

Those two contracts are very good. Nuggets want to have salary slots to make some trades despiste being over luxury tax. Excellent news IMHO

Sent from my GM1913 using RealGM mobile app
Richard Miller
Veteran

Post#148 » by Richard Miller » Sat Aug 14, 2021 10:11 am

JMG has PO, Barton is guaranteed

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#149 » by The Rebel » Sun Aug 15, 2021 2:14 pm

Richard Miller wrote:
The Rebel wrote:
Richard Miller wrote:

Last year, you mean in the bubble? I'm not really sure what or who exactly you have in mind.

Just this last season.
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#150 » by The Rebel » Sun Aug 15, 2021 2:20 pm

NuggetsWY wrote:NBA average 3 pt shooting is around 36-37%.
As a team, the Nuggets shot 37.7% and held their opponents to 36.3.

Last year we had 9 players shoot over 36% number. But that includes Nnaji & Bol, who did not play much.

Starters over 36%:

Porter
Murray
Jokic
Barton

Bench players over 36%:

Green
Morris
Rivers
Bol --- 160 minutes
Nnaji - 397 minutes

Compazzo was close

Overall our bench was 14th in 3 point percentage, 16th in 3 point shoots made, and 23rd overall in effeciency, not exactly a good bench or a good shooting bench.

https://www.nba.com/stats/teams/traditional/?StarterBench=Bench&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&sort=FG3M&dir=-1

http://www.hoopsstats.com/basketball/fantasy/nba/teamstats/21/7/eff/1-1
Richard Miller
Veteran

Post#151 » by Richard Miller » Sun Aug 15, 2021 2:38 pm

The Rebel wrote:
Richard Miller wrote:
The Rebel wrote:

Just this last season.

This season they were missing multiple starters, when the season started certainly nobody expected for Howard, Rivers and Shaq Harrison to get significant minutes in the playoffs.
THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets
And1: 6,521

Post#152 » by THE J0KER » Sun Aug 15, 2021 6:34 pm

I secretly hoped when Arturas Karnisovas left the Nuggets last year that he is the one to be blamed for the team's shocking inactivity during several offseasons and trade deadlines despite the obvious contender potential of this Denver team since 2017.

But when I see now how AK totally transformed the Bulls team in just one single year from lottery tanker to the legit playoff contender without accumulating assets but using them to add almost the best available players on a position team needs, I realize, unfortunately, that problem is in Tim Connelly or Josh Kroenke.
Richard Miller
Veteran

Post#153 » by Richard Miller » Sun Aug 15, 2021 7:18 pm

THE J0KER wrote:But when I see now how AK totally transformed the Bulls team in just one single year from lottery tanker to the legit playoff contender without accumulating assets but using them to add almost the best available players on a position team needs, I realize, unfortunately, that problem is in Tim Connelly or Josh Kroenke.

Bulls have proved absolutely nothing yet, I'd wait first before calling them legit contenders. In other news:

Denver Nuggets re-signed guard Markus Howard to a Two-Way Contract.
THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets
And1: 6,521

Post#154 » by THE J0KER » Sun Aug 15, 2021 11:44 pm

Richard Miller wrote:
THE J0KER wrote:But when I see now how AK totally transformed the Bulls team in just one single year from lottery tanker to the legit playoff contender without accumulating assets but using them to add almost the best available players on a position team needs, I realize, unfortunately, that problem is in Tim Connelly or Josh Kroenke.

Bulls have proved absolutely nothing yet, I'd wait first before calling them legit contenders. In other news:

Chicago Bulls are not contenders yet, but they are a legit playoff team now. It is a rare achievement to have 5+1 TOP100 players, especially for the team mocked around the league that doesn't have any TOP100 player just two seasons ago. When Hawks do a similar job last summer I praised them (of course, I didn't expect to see them in ECF already this year). Many things will depend on team chemistry, injury cases, and P.Williams and C.White improvement, but Karnisovas already made a very decent job there.
skywalker33

Post#155 » by skywalker33 » Mon Aug 16, 2021 2:11 am

THE J0KER wrote:
Richard Miller wrote:

Chicago Bulls are not contenders yet, but they are a legit playoff team now. It is a rare achievement to have 5+1 TOP100 players, especially for the team mocked around the league that doesn't have any TOP100 player just two seasons ago. When Hawks do a similar job last summer I praised them (of course, I didn't expect to see them in ECF already this year). Many things will depend on team chemistry, injury cases, and P.Williams and C.White improvement, but Karnisovas already made a very decent job there.

Well, that's the hope and your opinion but they've had talent before without the results. AK hasn't been on the job that long but he has done a nice job so far. CHI has a lot of talent in front of them to get to the playoffs.

NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,056

Post#156 » by NuggetsWY » Mon Aug 16, 2021 4:04 am

My hopes for our 2021-22 roster based on where we are right now - assuming no trades.

Jokic - ???
Porter - Nnaji - JaMychal
Gordon - Jeff G. - Cancar
Barton - Dozier - Rivers
Morris - Campazzo - Hyland

I believe that roster can compete for top-4 in the West.
It would be nice to see Nnaji get 20+ mpg - not sure he will see that many minutes.
It would be nice to see Dozier get 20+ mpg - not sure he will see that many minutes.
Not sure Hyland gets many minutes, but I love his game.

Long term core? 9 players and if Dozier, Nnaji, Hyland all become even close to what we expect, this is a nice roster IMO.

Jokic
Porter - Nnaji
Gordon - Jeff Green
Dozier
Murray - Morris - Hyland (all three of whom can play SG)
TunaFish
Head Coach
And1: 5,788

Post#157 » by TunaFish » Thu Aug 19, 2021 8:36 pm

Read on Twitter
Canned in Denver.
bravor
Starter
And1: 737

Post#158 » by bravor » Sat Aug 28, 2021 2:00 pm

Hello guys and gals :wink:
Since Nuggets have the rights on Cornelie, i am wondering what are the odds he gets a contract (a two ways being more likely) and play for your team next year ?
He improved a lot (almost in every field but the most glaring improvement has been with his old weaknesses in the post) last year in France knowing he was competing with Cancar couple years ago to get a contract but eventually the slovenian was more convincing in the off seasons.
skywalker33

Post#159 » by skywalker33 » Sat Aug 28, 2021 2:46 pm

bravor wrote:Hello guys and gals :wink:
Since Nuggets have the rights on Cornelie, i am wondering what are the odds he gets a contract (a two ways being more likely) and play for your team next year ?
He improved a lot (almost in every field but the most glaring improvement has been with his old weaknesses in the post) last year in France knowing he was competing with Cancar couple years ago to get a contract but eventually the slovenian was more convincing in the off seasons.

Welcome,

I think Cornelie is on the outside looking in. I agree and have read reports Petr has improved, actually thought he might get an invite last year but didn't happen. Our roster is pretty full and even if he did get an invite, out coach doesn't seem to know how to use a backup big, he believes in small-ball centers.

Nice topic to think of, perhaps we could trade him to CHA for a 2nd rounder or ????

bravor
Starter
And1: 737

Post#160 » by bravor » Sat Aug 28, 2021 2:55 pm

lol sorry. i am french, it's just that we had some rumor here about him being on the nba radar (without much details) and still being monitored by Denver's staff. I just thought you had couple open roster spot (at least with two ways) to confirm he could have his chance next season.

Nothing to do with Charlotte though (my bad for messing up myt first post here). Even if Petr is still only 26, Hornet's core is more in the 20/22 area i think. And his profile is not what Hornets could use. I would say a guy like Bassey would make more sense, they have already a lot of jump shooting bigs, but not really any who can post up efficiently.

Otoh, he could be a nice get for Atlanta (especially considering Gallinari's age, even if they dont have the same profile).

ps : thanks for the quick feeback btw

Return to Denver Nuggets