Nuggets Preseason 2021

Moderator: THE J0KER

lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,638

Re: Nuggets Preseason 2021 

Post#41 » by lilfishi22 » Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:26 pm

Yo! Suns fan with a question here. We were discussing Ayton's (non) extension on the Suns forum and one of the reasons our GM stated for not giving Ayton the full fat designated rookie max is because it would restrict us from making a trade down the line for another guy on the designated max (which I don't buy).

So how does your team have 3 guys on the designated rookie max contracts (Jokic/Murry/MPJ) next season and still be within the CBA rules? Unless I misinterpreted what's in the CBA
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
TunaFish
Head Coach
And1: 5,788

Post#42 » by TunaFish » Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:29 am

lilfishi22 wrote:Yo! Suns fan with a question here. We were discussing Ayton's (non) extension on the Suns forum and one of the reasons our GM stated for not giving Ayton the full fat designated rookie max is because it would restrict us from making a trade down the line for another guy on the designated max (which I don't buy).

So how does your team have 3 guys on the designated rookie max contracts (Jokic/Murry/MPJ) next season and still be within the CBA rules? Unless I misinterpreted what's in the CBA

I wouldn't pretend to be a CBA expert but from my limited knowledge, there is no prohibition as to the number of max contracts a team can carry. Of course, at a certain point a tax paying team will have budget constraints but there are already other teams with three max contracts. All of them are contenders.

I don't understand Phoenix's position on Ayton as he would seem to be a core player worth the max.
Canned in Denver.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#43 » by lilfishi22 » Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:24 am

TunaFish wrote:
lilfishi22 wrote:Yo! Suns fan with a question here. We were discussing Ayton's (non) extension on the Suns forum and one of the reasons our GM stated for not giving Ayton the full fat designated rookie max is because it would restrict us from making a trade down the line for another guy on the designated max (which I don't buy).

I wouldn't pretend to be a CBA expert but from my limited knowledge, there is no prohibition as to the number of max contracts a team can carry. Of course, at a certain point a tax paying team will have budget constraints but there are already other teams with three max contracts. All of them are contenders.

I don't understand Phoenix's position on Ayton as he would seem to be a core player worth the max.

There's no limitation to the number of max contracts as long as it fits under the caps but there is a limit on how many designated rookie/veteran max players. These are the 5 year max with the escalators (to 30% of the salary cap instead of just 25%) should the player make an All-NBA team, become MVP or DPOY. You basically say, this guy (Murry) is my designated rookie max guy and he'll be on the full designated rookie max extension. What I don't get is how you can have Murry, Jokic and MPJ all on the designated rookie max when you are only allowed 2. With Lakers for example, I believe only have Westbrook and I believe AD on the designated veteran max contract. Lebron is on a 2 year contract which may be the maximum amount of yearly salary but it's not considered the designated max which is strictly prescribed.

On the topic of Ayton, it's bewildering. I think the Suns board is probably split 70:30 with 70% feeling frustrated or disappointed the deal didn't get done and the 30% feeling he needs to earn it or it's not a big deal to extend next off season. The MPJ and the SGA deals really made things difficult for the Suns and put the pressure on the front office to get it done. I don't think MPJ is a max guy but MPJ getting maxed out meant Ayton had an extra argument for being paid like a max guy. Given MPJ is a core part of your future, it makes total sense to pay him. I think the Suns just don't see Ayton as a max guy (otherwise we would've paid him) and James Jones has said we were prepare to offer him 3-4 years at the max salary but Ayton wanted the full 5yr max so we couldn't agree to a deal.
Manolito
Senior
And1: 391

Post#44 » by Manolito » Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:02 am

lilfishi22 wrote:
TunaFish wrote:

There's no limitation to the number of max contracts as long as it fits under the caps but there is a limit on how many designated rookie/veteran max players. These are the 5 year max with the escalators (to 30% of the salary cap instead of just 25%) should the player make an All-NBA team, become MVP or DPOY. You basically say, this guy (Murry) is my designated rookie max guy and he'll be on the full designated rookie max extension. What I don't get is how you can have Murry, Jokic and MPJ all on the designated rookie max when you are only allowed 2. With Lakers for example, I believe only have Westbrook and I believe AD on the designated veteran max contract. Lebron is on a 2 year contract which may be the maximum amount of yearly salary but it's not considered the designated max which is strictly prescribed.

On the topic of Ayton, it's bewildering. I think the Suns board is probably split 70:30 with 70% feeling frustrated or disappointed the deal didn't get done and the 30% feeling he needs to earn it or it's not a big deal to extend next off season. The MPJ and the SGA deals really made things difficult for the Suns and put the pressure on the front office to get it done. I don't think MPJ is a max guy but MPJ getting maxed out meant Ayton had an extra argument for being paid like a max guy. Given MPJ is a core part of your future, it makes total sense to pay him. I think the Suns just don't see Ayton as a max guy (otherwise we would've paid him) and James Jones has said we were prepare to offer him 3-4 years at the max salary but Ayton wanted the full 5yr max so we couldn't agree to a deal.

Jokic deal has not been considered designated max contract because he was a second rounder and his first contract was not based on the traditional rookie scale
TunaFish
Head Coach

Post#45 » by TunaFish » Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:33 pm

lilfishi22 wrote:
TunaFish wrote:

Very informative and I had not realized the limitation on designated max contracts. I think Manlito is correct about Jokic who was a 2nd round pick. Maybe the answer is to draft stars in the 2nd round.

I am curious of your take on the Nets who also have three max contracts, if you have an opinion?
Canned in Denver.
Manolito
Senior
And1: 391

Post#46 » by Manolito » Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:30 pm

Durant and Irving did not sign a max contract to be able to sign Deandre Jordan as well

Sent from my GM1913 using RealGM mobile app
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#47 » by lilfishi22 » Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:42 pm

Manolito wrote:
lilfishi22 wrote:
TunaFish wrote:

Jokic deal has not been considered designated max contract because he was a second rounder and his first contract was not based on the traditional rookie scale

This makes a lot more sense. I just assumed he was maxed out like every other designated max.
skywalker33
Nuggets Forum Mock Draft Champ
And1: 5,255

Post#48 » by skywalker33 » Thu Oct 21, 2021 4:58 pm

From a crappy (record-wise) preseason to a good start with a season-opening road win over PHX.
Texas Chuck wrote:I'd like to see Utah, and Denver lose

Exactly as I've been saying all along !!
TunaFish
Head Coach

Post#49 » by TunaFish » Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:19 am

skywalker33 wrote:From a crappy (record-wise) preseason to a good start with a season-opening road win over PHX.

It's a good start!
Canned in Denver.
skywalker33
Nuggets Forum Mock Draft Champ
And1: 5,255

Post#50 » by skywalker33 » Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:55 am

TunaFish wrote:
skywalker33 wrote:From a crappy (record-wise) preseason to a good start with a season-opening road win over PHX.

It's a good start!

Best team in Denver sports this season... :lol:
Texas Chuck wrote:I'd like to see Utah, and Denver lose

Exactly as I've been saying all along !!

Return to Denver Nuggets