Moderator: THE J0KER

THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets
And1: 6,515

Game 01 : Denver Nuggets @ Phoenix Suns 

Post#1 » by THE J0KER » Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:05 am

Time for revenge?

It will not be easy on the road, without Murray, without bench depth, and with a coach who ignores youngsters.
GeorgeSears
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,286

Re: Game 01 : Denver Nuggets @ Phoenix Suns 

Post#2 » by GeorgeSears » Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:11 am

Once again, the Backcourt is getting torched and has nothing to show for it offensively.

At this point, I'm just hoping they can hold down the court until Murray comes back.
THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets

Post#3 » by THE J0KER » Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:31 am

GeorgeSears wrote:Once again, the Backcourt is getting torched and has nothing to show for it offensively.

At this point, I'm just hoping they can hold down the court until Murray comes back.

A superb frontcourt line can compensate for it. For me, lack of depth (bench) is a bigger problem than a weak starting backcourt line, especially with Malone not willing to use under-22 young players like Bol or Bones.
GeorgeSears
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,286

Post#4 » by GeorgeSears » Thu Oct 21, 2021 4:27 am

Well, it looks like Monte woke up in the 2nd half as did the rest of the team.

I have to say, this is probably the best all-around performance from AG: Great defense, great rebounding and cutting.

If Nuggets can maintain top 4 in the West before Murray gets back, they'll be in great shape.
skywalker33
Nuggets Forum Mock Draft Champ
And1: 5,255

Post#5 » by skywalker33 » Thu Oct 21, 2021 4:27 am

Good road win for the Nuggets, bench had some sloppy play but Joker pulls a good D-D to start the season. Barton had a good game. MPJ needs to step it up a bit, AG a strong support game
Texas Chuck wrote:I'd like to see Utah, and Denver lose

Exactly as I've been saying all along !!
THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets

Post#6 » by THE J0KER » Thu Oct 21, 2021 4:40 am

Maybe the key moment is the last 80 seconds of the first half where the Suns lead +16 but the Nuggets finished with 8-0.

Jokic was Jokic, and Barton, MPJ, and Gordon have the efficient all-around games today (7-12 for three, and 14 out of teams 25 assists). But the key is probably defense limiting great offensively Suns team under 100p (just 40p in 2nd half) and shut-down Booker (just 3-15 shooting)
JazzUte88
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,035

Post#7 » by JazzUte88 » Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:55 am

Nugz are a force in the West if everyone can stay healthy
psimanic1
Starter
And1: 1,171

Post#8 » by psimanic1 » Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:02 am

THE J0KER wrote:
GeorgeSears wrote:Once again, the Backcourt is getting torched and has nothing to show for it offensively.

A superb frontcourt line can compensate for it. For me, lack of depth (bench) is a bigger problem than a weak starting backcourt line, especially with Malone not willing to use under-22 young players like Bol or Bones.

Problem is not with the bench as bench, they have enough firepower there, problem is from last year most of them are used to playing with someone from starting unit and then they are trying to find that guy instead of going for easy points. It doesn't help Malone is not playing Bones, he could be bench units Will Barton, someone who will take most of the scoring load. Both PJ, Green(s) are able to score, but none of them were looking to do it when bench unit first came in.
skywalker33
Nuggets Forum Mock Draft Champ
And1: 5,255

Post#9 » by skywalker33 » Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:10 pm

psimanic1 wrote:
THE J0KER wrote:

Problem is not with the bench as bench, they have enough firepower there, problem is from last year most of them are used to playing with someone from starting unit and then they are trying to find that guy instead of going for easy points. It doesn't help Malone is not playing Bones, he could be bench units Will Barton, someone who will take most of the scoring load. Both PJ, Green(s) are able to score, but none of them were looking to do it when bench unit first came in.

To be true to his nature, Malone is not comfortable just putting Bones out there yet, trust has to be established and that just isn't earned in the preseason, but I do think it will get there. I do think if Malone was to extend himself beyond that comfort zone he could find a very talented bench that could be utilized before we have to MAKE some decisions or those decisions are made for us.

Now perhaps this being the first game of the season, against the team who swept us out of the playoffs, the defending WCC, Malone wanted to set the tone for the season. But as you pointed out, this early bench rotation has sucked. Facu, while the beast on defense, needs to be able to shoot, it's not like he's a 19yo rookie, he's played in BIG international play and has to be somewhat of a threat. I love PJ's efforts out there but we need to keep the leads the starter put out there, PERIOD.
Texas Chuck wrote:I'd like to see Utah, and Denver lose

Exactly as I've been saying all along !!
TunaFish
Head Coach
And1: 5,786

Post#10 » by TunaFish » Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:25 am

skywalker33 wrote:
psimanic1 wrote:
THE J0KER wrote:A superb frontcourt line can compensate for it. For me, lack of depth (bench) is a bigger problem than a weak starting backcourt line, especially with Malone not willing to use under-22 young players like Bol or Bones.

To be true to his nature, Malone is not comfortable just putting Bones out there yet, trust has to be established and that just isn't earned in the preseason, but I do think it will get there. I do think if Malone was to extend himself beyond that comfort zone he could find a very talented bench that could be utilized before we have to MAKE some decisions or those decisions are made for us.

Now perhaps this being the first game of the season, against the team who swept us out of the playoffs, the defending WCC, Malone wanted to set the tone for the season. But as you pointed out, this early bench rotation has sucked. Facu, while the beast on defense, needs to be able to shoot, it's not like he's a 19yo rookie, he's played in BIG international play and has to be somewhat of a threat. I love PJ's efforts out there but we need to keep the leads the starter put out there, PERIOD.

Given the way Bones played in the preseason, it seemed odd that he was not in the rotation at some point. Malone really wanted to win this game and the staggered starter with the bench (or nine man rotation) meant that Rivers did not play in the second half. Good move as they did win the game. Still, I have a hard time believing that Bones is not ready.
Canned in Denver.
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,056

Post#11 » by NuggetsWY » Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:59 pm

We won! Let's start with that.

What I found frustrating is there were too many episodes of the Nuggets being ineffective - read that as Phoenix controlling everything. However, while I expect the Nuggets to be perfect, that's impossible - especially against a team as good as Phoenix. Remember that Phoenix brought back all of their core pieces and almost their entire team. The Nuggets did not play with a full roster in this game. So I'd say it was a good game and the Nuggets showed the NBA that they are legitimate - so teams will be focused on the Nuggets and not looking past them - I like that!

Malone's rotations are what they are - I may not like them, but he hasn't asked me. :lol:

Return to Denver Nuggets