ImageImageImage

Peyton Watson

Moderator: THE J0KER

skywalker33
Nuggets Forum Mock Draft Champ
And1: 5,252

Peyton Watson 

Post#1 » by skywalker33 » Wed Jul 20, 2022 11:33 pm

Looks like he's gonna be able to get some PT based on his defense but it would really nice to get him some help on the offensive side of the ball. Well, here's my left-field, out-of-the-box suggestion, wonder if we could entice Carmelo Anthony to work with Watson. Now I don't EVER expect PW to be the offensive juggernaut Melo has been, but if we could somehow get him to the 12-16ppg range, what a weapon he could become with his defensive prowess. Now I don't know if Melo has the capacity to teach, but if he could impress some of his knowledge into PW, WOW is all I can hope for.
Texas Chuck wrote:I'd like to see Utah, and Denver lose

Exactly as I've been saying all along !!
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,338

Re: Peyton Watcon 

Post#2 » by The Rebel » Thu Jul 21, 2022 1:16 am

skywalker33 wrote:Looks like he's gonna be able to get some PT based on his defense but it would really nice to get him some help on the offensive side of the ball. Well, here's my left-field, out-of-the-box suggestion, wonder if we could entice Carmelo Anthony to work with Watson. Now I don't EVER expect PW to be the offensive juggernaut Melo has been, but if we could somehow get him to the 12-16ppg range, what a weapon he could become with his defensive prowess. Now I don't know if Melo has the capacity to teach, but if he could impress some of his knowledge into PW, WOW is all I can hope for.

We don't have the roster space for Melo, so unless he wants to start coaching I doubt he comes here.

I do hope we find a better shooting coach, I like both Braun and Watson but they both have to get better on offense.
TunaFish
Head Coach
And1: 5,760

Post#3 » by TunaFish » Thu Jul 21, 2022 1:21 am

skywalker33 wrote:Looks like he's gonna be able to get some PT based on his defense but it would really nice to get him some help on the offensive side of the ball. Well, here's my left-field, out-of-the-box suggestion, wonder if we could entice Carmelo Anthony to work with Watson. Now I don't EVER expect PW to be the offensive juggernaut Melo has been, but if we could somehow get him to the 12-16ppg range, what a weapon he could become with his defensive prowess. Now I don't know if Melo has the capacity to teach, but if he could impress some of his knowledge into PW, WOW is all I can hope for.

I think Watson is more likely headed for the G league. The athletic ability and his defensive talent are there but his offensive game needs work. This is a perfect situation for him to work on his game in Grand Rapids with some quality coaches.

If they do keep him for the rotation, I doubt he gains many minutes and that might set him back. At some point he has to make progress and that will require some patience.

Don't want Melo anywhere near the Nuggets.
Canned in Denver.
skywalker33

Post#4 » by skywalker33 » Thu Jul 21, 2022 3:01 am

The Rebel wrote:

We don't have the roster space for Melo, so unless he wants to start coaching I doubt he comes here.

I do hope we find a better shooting coach, I like both Braun and Watson but they both have to get better on offense.

Agreed, don't want Melo on the roster but his playing career is close to ending, was suggesting him as a shooting coach/consultant

Richard Miller
Veteran
And1: 2,883

Re: Peyton Watson 

Post#5 » by Richard Miller » Thu Jul 21, 2022 8:27 am

You don't need to be a NBA player yourself to be able to coach, I'm sure the Nuggets have that covered already. The only guy in recent years who has struggled with his shot mechanics was Gary Harris if I'm not mistaken, and that's probably because of injuries anyway.
skywalker33

Post#6 » by skywalker33 » Thu Jul 21, 2022 11:51 pm

Richard Miller wrote:You don't need to be a NBA player yourself to be able to coach, I'm sure the Nuggets have that covered already. The only guy in recent years who has struggled with his shot mechanics was Gary Harris if I'm not mistaken, and that's probably because of injuries anyway.

I agree that you don't have to be an NBA player to be a coach but it would be interesting to see if he could help develop PW's offensive skills. Again, if he could, we could create a star player from a 30th overall pick, help him reach his potential.

Richard Miller
Veteran
And1: 2,883

Post#7 » by Richard Miller » Fri Jul 22, 2022 12:49 am

skywalker33 wrote:
Richard Miller wrote:You don't need to be a NBA player yourself to be able to coach, I'm sure the Nuggets have that covered already. The only guy in recent years who has struggled with his shot mechanics was Gary Harris if I'm not mistaken, and that's probably because of injuries anyway.

I agree that you don't have to be an NBA player to be a coach but it would be interesting to see if he could help develop PW's offensive skills. Again, if he could, we could create a star player from a 30th overall pick, help him reach his potential.

Iirc, PW said he's pretty close with Kevin Durant, and he's kinda a good shooter :D Ofc, don't think KD is going to coach him, but maybe he picks up a thing or two from him.
skywalker33

Post#8 » by skywalker33 » Fri Jul 22, 2022 2:11 am

Richard Miller wrote:
skywalker33 wrote:

Iirc, PW said he's pretty close with Kevin Durant, and he's kinda a good shooter :D Ofc, don't think KD is going to coach him, but maybe he picks up a thing or two from him.

Reports about him coming out of HS says he had good form and was anticipated to have good offensive potential but not like that has ever been substantiated. He had one "decent" Summer League game that looks like luck, but could also show some potential. Expecting him to see a LOT of G League time.

TunaFish
Head Coach

Post#9 » by TunaFish » Tue Oct 11, 2022 4:18 pm

skywalker33 wrote:
Richard Miller wrote:
skywalker33 wrote:

Reports about him coming out of HS says he had good form and was anticipated to have good offensive potential but not like that has ever been substantiated. He had one "decent" Summer League game that looks like luck, but could also show some potential. Expecting him to see a LOT of G League time.

That was my expectation as well. However, he has impressed when he is getting minutes. That block in the Phoenix preseason game where he was initially faked out and then recovered to come from behind was a thing of beauty. His athletic ability is off the chart and he seems like he has some offensive skill as well.

He still needs development but he has talent.
Canned in Denver.
DaFan334
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,327

Post#10 » by DaFan334 » Wed Oct 12, 2022 5:26 pm

This play definitely shows some potential.
skywalker33

Post#11 » by skywalker33 » Wed Oct 12, 2022 5:34 pm

DaFan334 wrote:

This play definitely shows some potential.

Just LOVE that type of energy, didn't give up on the play, then came back for the block.

skywalker33

Post#12 » by skywalker33 » Thu Oct 13, 2022 4:26 pm

Nice to Peyton getting some PT in the Clippers preseason game. Definitely showed his defensive chops but still gotta work on fitting into the offense.

skywalker33

Post#13 » by skywalker33 » Thu Nov 10, 2022 5:15 am

PW looking like he's taking his training seriously, he's averaging 24 points per game, 8.5 rebounds per game, 3.5 assists per game, 3 steals per game, and 3.5 blocks per game down in Grand Rapids. Nice read on the rookies progress.

https://www.denverstiffs.com/2022/11/8/23445760/film-study-peyton-watsons-strong-debut-grand-rapids-gold

skywalker33

Post#14 » by skywalker33 » Fri Nov 11, 2022 5:19 am

Was over on the G-league site for the Gold, and noted they're listing/playing Watson as a SG. At 6'7" thought they drafted him as a SF/Wing but I can see where they'd try him out at SG with his slight frame (200lbs). If Andre Miller can develop his shooting into what UCLA didn't we've scored huge in the 2022 draft.

The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,338

Post#15 » by The Rebel » Fri Nov 11, 2022 5:58 am

skywalker33 wrote:Was over on the G-league site for the Gold, and noted they're listing/playing Watson as a SG. At 6'7" thought they drafted him as a SF/Wing but I can see where they'd try him out at SG with his slight frame (200lbs). If Andre Miller can develop his shooting into what UCLA didn't we've scored huge in the 2022 draft.

I am not sure I want Andre Miller teaching anybody to shoot, but I would think our player development coaches can help him out. It seems that most of our guys have developed into pretty good shooters.

Watson just has to develop into an average shooter and slasher and he will be able to fill an important role.
skywalker33

Post#16 » by skywalker33 » Fri Nov 11, 2022 4:29 pm

The Rebel wrote:I am not sure I want Andre Miller teaching anybody to shoot, but I would think our player development coaches can help him out. It seems that most of our guys have developed into pretty good shooters.

Watson just has to develop into an average shooter and slasher and he will be able to fill an important role.

:lol: :lol: I see your point about Andre teaching shooting, I guess I was pointing out that the UCLA staff never took the necessary time with Peyton, but I'm guessing that's what our G-League team was brought in to do. And from what I keep reading, PW has shown the potential to be an outstanding offensive player. He's putting up numbers with the gold, but that IS the G-league.

TunaFish
Head Coach

Post#17 » by TunaFish » Mon Apr 3, 2023 2:59 pm

Read on Twitter
Canned in Denver.
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,056

Post#18 » by NuggetsWY » Tue Apr 4, 2023 4:57 pm

I went back and looked at the comments at the beginning of this thread -- very interesting.
skywalker33

Post#19 » by skywalker33 » Thu Apr 6, 2023 9:03 pm

Just throwing it out there, since 80% of the starting unit is listed as Questionable, why not give 20+ minutes to both Peyton and Cristian tonight, we have nothing to lose (except a meaningless loss).

skywalker33

Post#20 » by skywalker33 » Mon Apr 10, 2023 12:03 am

Like to see Peyton getting some minutes, also getting praise for some competition. Read KD had some nice high praise for him after he was guarding him in the PHX game. Seems they were working out during covid

Return to Denver Nuggets