ImageImageImage

2023 NBA draft

Moderator: THE J0KER

skywalker33
Nuggets Forum Mock Draft Champ
And1: 5,321

2023 NBA draft 

Post#1 » by skywalker33 » Mon Jun 12, 2023 5:37 pm

With all the excitement about the possibility/probability of our FIRST NBA CHAMPIONSHIP, it's easy to overlook that we are just 10 days away from the 2023 NBA draft. It was just a few days ago that we were looking at just having the 40th pick, a shrewd trade by GM Calvin Booth has netted us this year's 37th pick along with a mid-to_late 1st next year and a subsequent 2nd for our 2029 1st round pick. This trade not only increases the win-now mentality for this team, I feel it could help build this team into a dynasty-level powerhouse. Now most will say we only added a mere 2nd this year, I say it could open up more as we now, having the opportunity to do so, could trade one of our 2024 1sts to move into this year's draft. Obviously, this would depend on the willingness of a trade partner, along with our desire for the right player fall, but the opportunities now exist. Until something happens though, we do have TWO hight 2nd rounders, on that we can speculate.

So have have at it, who do you want to see Calvin draft in 10 days

I have, my fav's, let's hear yours.

37) Trayce Jackson-Davis - PF – Indiana – HT: 6-8 1/4 – WT: 240 – WING: 7-1 – Sr – TJD is an overpowering force inside, despite not having elite center size. He’s become an advanced passer and play-maker who looks to be very NBA-ready. Son of former NBA player Dale Davis

40) Ben Sheppard - SG – Belmont – HT: 6-6 – WT: 190 – WING: NA – Sr. – A solid two-way player who defends and shoots the rock. Has a good frame. Has had a fantastic pre-draft process.

Can't say I'm sure EITHER player will be there, but nobody knows for sure.
Texas Chuck wrote:I'd like to see Utah, and Denver lose

Exactly as I've been saying all along !!
Chuck Everett
RealGM
And1: 15,245

Re: 2023 NBA draft 

Post#2 » by Chuck Everett » Tue Jun 13, 2023 5:08 am

There are questions. What do the Nuggets think of Collin Gillespie's future? Do they believe he can become a solid backup point guard to Murray. Do they try to make a trade for Peyton Pritchard (who wants more playing time than Boston can give)?

Other than that, you're two picks are really good. Jackson-Davis seems like Aaron Gordon/Larry Nance-lite in that he is an incredible athlete, but he does have some ball skills while being kind of a tweener (6'9). I think if they took him, that would make Nnaji expendable almost immediately.

Sheppard is interesting as well. I am not sure either guy will be there at 37, but others I like for Denver are: Marcus Sasser, Jaime Jaquez Jr, Tristan Vukcevic and Jordan Miller.

Each of these four guys can all shoot the basketball and with maybe the exception of Vukcevic (I am not sure), they also get after it on the defensive end.
"Kill 'em with Grindness."
Manolito
Senior
And1: 396

Post#3 » by Manolito » Tue Jun 13, 2023 8:06 am

I love you opened this thread 5 minutes after winning the NBA TITLE.

I had not been following draft prospects, but I highly doubt we draft both 37 and 40th. We already have Braun and Watson to develop plus Gillespie and Kamagate. We do not even know yet what we have in Nnaji. I hope FO do not fill the roster with starters and young kids.

I would say we draft a guard, but you never have enough switchable wings so it is possible as well. I love Vukcevic from Real Madrid, it is a much improved version of Cancar.

I love Booth trade as well. It depends on 29 pick protections, but OKC or LAC next season pick are projected around 20.
Coeur
Assistant Coach
And1: 668

Post#4 » by Coeur » Tue Jun 13, 2023 1:13 pm

I love the sweet spot in this draft that 37-40 might be.

Cissoko, max Lewis, Brandon Podz…

Jaime Jaquez, Gueye, tJD,

There are going to be players the Nugs see much higher than 37&40 best players on their lists. Should be top 20-30 players on Nugs list available.
skywalker33

Post#5 » by skywalker33 » Tue Jun 13, 2023 6:24 pm

Chuck Everett wrote:There are questions. What do the Nuggets think of Collin Gillespie's future? Do they believe he can become a solid backup point guard to Murray. Do they try to make a trade for Peyton Pritchard (who wants more playing time than Boston can give)?

Other than that, you're two picks are really good. Jackson-Davis seems like Aaron Gordon/Larry Nance-lite in that he is an incredible athlete, but he does have some ball skills while being kind of a tweener (6'9). I think if they took him, that would make Nnaji expendable almost immediately.

Sheppard is interesting as well. I am not sure either guy will be there at 37, but others I like for Denver are: Marcus Sasser, Jaime Jaquez Jr, Tristan Vukcevic and Jordan Miller.

Each of these four guys can all shoot the basketball and with maybe the exception of Vukcevic (I am not sure), they also get after it on the defensive end.

I agree, don't think either player will be available when we pick but I've been surprised before. And I like that you brought up Vukcevic, and yet another highly skilled Serbian center w/o much athleticism, has a familiar ring :lol: We do have a need for a backup center as Israel Karmagate does not look like he'll be coming over as anticipated. Feels like we'll also be needing some bench scoring but that also depends on how much PWatson shows in Summer League, feel like he be garnering some PT next year.

skywalker33

Post#6 » by skywalker33 » Tue Jun 13, 2023 6:30 pm

Manolito wrote:I love you opened this thread 5 minutes after winning the NBA TITLE.

I had not been following draft prospects, but I highly doubt we draft both 37 and 40th. We already have Braun and Watson to develop plus Gillespie and Kamagate. We do not even know yet what we have in Nnaji. I hope FO do not fill the roster with starters and young kids.

I would say we draft a guard, but you never have enough switchable wings so it is possible as well. I love Vukcevic from Real Madrid, it is a much improved version of Cancar.

I love Booth trade as well. It depends on 29 pick protections, but OKC or LAC next season pick are projected around 20.

Kinda have to disagree, the NBA is allowing a 3rd two-way contract this year and we do have a lot of free agent spots to fill (DAJ, Ish, Reggie Jackson, Thomas Bryant), really need them to be cheap as we don't have a ton of cap space available. So 37 & 40 look like good opportunities in a fairly deep draft to fill out the roster, just hope Calvin Booth is up to the job ( I think he did an excellent job last year).

TunaFish
Head Coach
And1: 6,007

Post#7 » by TunaFish » Tue Jun 13, 2023 10:58 pm

skywalker33 wrote:
Manolito wrote:I love you opened this thread 5 minutes after winning the NBA TITLE.

Kinda have to disagree, the NBA is allowing a 3rd two-way contract this year and we do have a lot of free agent spots to fill (DAJ, Ish, Reggie Jackson, Thomas Bryant), really need them to be cheap as we don't have a ton of cap space available. So 37 & 40 look like good opportunities in a fairly deep draft to fill out the roster, just hope Calvin Booth is up to the job ( I think he did an excellent job last year).

It looks like Kamagate is not coming over from Europe and Bryant is certainly gone. Nnaji is more of power forward. That looks to me like they will need a backup center possibly from the draft.
Canned in Denver.
skywalker33

Post#8 » by skywalker33 » Wed Jun 14, 2023 3:47 am

Coeur mentioned a name I have secretly been eying in PF Mouhamed Gueye out of Washington St, a 6'11" 215lbs forward who is extremely athletic. Can't say I see him as being ready for a few years but PWatson is looking like he can add something this next year, do we take another risk with that 40th pick ?? May be a few more ready-now players but seems we're in a place where we can take a couple of opportunity-risks and this guy could pay off big-time IMO

skywalker33

Post#9 » by skywalker33 » Fri Jun 16, 2023 3:14 am

Currently. given the mocks I'm looking at, here's my newest wish list

37) PG/SG Amari Bailey - 6'5" combo guard with athleticism and speed. Has some playmaking skills and can score, perfect for our bench.

40) PF Mouhamed Gueye - 6'11" althletic forward, good release on his shot but is raw in his BB knowledge, will need time to develop.

Would require us to utiize Nnaji more as a C/PF but time to find out what he's got.

Coeur
Assistant Coach
And1: 668

Post#10 » by Coeur » Fri Jun 16, 2023 3:26 am

skywalker33 wrote:Currently. given the mocks I'm looking at, here's my newest wish list

37) PG/SG Amari Bailey - 6'5" combo guard with athleticism and speed. Has some playmaking skills and can score, perfect for our bench.

40) PF Mouhamed Gueye - 6'11" althletic forward, good release on his shot but is raw in his BB knowledge, will need time to develop.

Would require us to utiize Nnaji more as a C/PF but time to find out what he's got.

I don’t love Bailey. Jaquez > Amari for me , ?

Max Lewis > aB,

The big guard I like for nugs most might be Cissoko from France. G league.

Bailey can shoot though.
skywalker33

Post#11 » by skywalker33 » Fri Jun 16, 2023 1:51 pm

Do you think they'll get a Big this year ?

DaFan334
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,387

Post#12 » by DaFan334 » Fri Jun 16, 2023 11:01 pm

skywalker33 wrote:Do you think they'll get a Big this year ?

I would guess they take BPA but a big with size and a solid point guard would be the two positions I would guess they would want for future development most of all.
TunaFish
Head Coach
And1: 6,007

Post#13 » by TunaFish » Fri Jun 16, 2023 11:35 pm

Two picks in the second round means long shots. Without a doubt, Booth has been good on long shots so it is definitely worth letting him use his scouting skills. Unfortunately, that also means a slot on the roster has to be freed. Gillespie probably gets a shot so it does look like Ish or Jack White may not be around.

Adding an extra 2 way helps.
Canned in Denver.
skywalker33

Post#14 » by skywalker33 » Sat Jun 17, 2023 1:22 am

TunaFish wrote:Two picks in the second round means long shots. Without a doubt, Booth has been good on long shots so it is definitely worth letting him use his scouting skills. Unfortunately, that also means a slot on the roster has to be freed. Gillespie probably gets a shot so it does look like Ish or Jack White may not be around.

Adding an extra 2 way helps.

Well, this is supposedly a deep draft so picks #37 and #40 look like they could be good depth/developmental players. Also, Booth requested pick #37 so I'd bet he has a plan. And what pick was Jokic...#41 ??? OK, I believe !

THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets
And1: 6,602

Post#15 » by THE J0KER » Sat Jun 17, 2023 7:08 pm

Malone hates rookies, so even if we get somehow an NBA-ready guy (like Christian Braun for example) he will not give him over 15 minutes, especially when our lineup is stacked, so our 2024 picks can be properly used only since 2026+. So better if we trade both our 2024 first picks for the 2023 class where I expect the Nuggets and Clippers to have 1st pick in 2024 around #25 if not higher. For example:

2024DEN + 2024OKC(LAC)
for
2023HOU(LAC)#20 + 2024HOU(OKC)/2nd

or

Nnaji + 2024DEN + 2024OKC(LAC) + 2023OKC#37 + 2023DAL#40
for
2023IND(CLE)#26 + 2023IND(BOS)#29 + 2023IND(HOU)#32 + 2024IND/2nd
skywalker33

Post#16 » by skywalker33 » Sat Jun 17, 2023 10:32 pm

THE J0KER wrote:Malone hates rookies, so even if we get somehow an NBA-ready guy (like Christian Braun for example) he will not give him over 15 minutes, especially when our lineup is stacked, so our 2024 picks can be properly used only since 2026+. So better if we trade both our 2024 first picks for the 2023 class where I expect the Nuggets and Clippers to have 1st pick in 2024 around #25 if not higher. For example:

2024DEN + 2024OKC(LAC)
for
2023HOU(LAC)#20 + 2024HOU(OKC)/2nd

or

Nnaji + 2024DEN + 2024OKC(LAC) + 2023OKC#37 + 2023DAL#40
for
2023IND(CLE)#26 + 2023IND(BOS)#29 + 2023IND(HOU)#32 + 2024IND/2nd

Sorry Joker, you can't trade both 2024 1st rd picks because of the Stepien rule.

I agree that Malone prefers solid vets, with this current cap situations we will still need cheap players to fill this roster. He may not play them, but he'll need them in an emergency or down the road so might as well get them now. And trading Nnaji takes from that pool of cheap player.

mirmil
Sophomore
And1: 147

Post#17 » by mirmil » Mon Jun 19, 2023 1:34 pm

I think we should be getting Amari Bailey and Kobe Brown in this years draft. We really need 2nd PG and KB could take Nnajis spot in the rotation since he is better passer and ballhandler than Nnaji, shooting and D are similar between the two.
skywalker33

Post#18 » by skywalker33 » Mon Jun 19, 2023 5:12 pm

mirmil wrote:I think we should be getting Amari Bailey and Kobe Brown in this years draft. We really need 2nd PG and KB could take Nnajis spot in the rotation since he is better passer and ballhandler than Nnaji, shooting and D are similar between the two.

Only problem I have with Brown is he's only 6'7" while Nnaji is a legit 6'9" . I see him taking over for Green in a perfect world. We'd definitely have a roster spot for both, Booth has to decide where the all fit in Malone's system

THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets
And1: 6,602

Post#19 » by THE J0KER » Tue Jun 20, 2023 12:44 am

Read on Twitter

I already explained why switching the 2024 1st rounder for 2023 1st would be a very good idea for the Nuggets knowing Malone.

And FO should not think twice if someone wants Nnaji. Malone doesn't like him, so better trade him soon than later. We should trade Jarred Vanderbilt and Bol Bol when they have some trade value, or Bones Hyland when was hype around him, not wait until they lost their trade value as benched.
skywalker33

Post#20 » by skywalker33 » Tue Jun 20, 2023 2:42 am

THE J0KER wrote:Switching the 2024 1st rounder for 2023 1st would be a very good idea for the Nuggets knowing Malone.

I agree, the sooner we get to developing another rookie the sooner he can get into the rotation.

THE J0KER wrote:And FO should not think twice if someone wants Nnaji. Malone doesn't like him, so better trade him soon than later. We should trade Jarred Vanderbilt and Bol Bol when they have some trade value, or Bones Hyland when was hype around him, not wait until they lost their trade value as benched.

Well, to be fair that FO was run by TC, not Calvin Booth. And as for Malone "not liking" Nnaji, I've never heard that and the Chip run only supports his rotation was correct, not a knock on Nnaji (although his injury history is building its own resume). Using that logic he must not like PWatson, and I'll bet he's part of the rotation next season. I do think Nnaji can be part of a trade to move up but would be someone we'd have to replace (and I don't want to see a 37yo Jeff Green back in the rotation).

I have been contemplating why the Nuggets aren't bringing over Karmagate this year, seems he would fill a big hole while he's learning on the job. At least I'd like to see him in SL before that decision is made.

Return to Denver Nuggets