ImageImageImage

RIVALRY Poll+Reason

Moderator: THE J0KER

Don_eMOCION#31
Rookie
And1: 0

RIVALRY Poll+Reason 

Post#1 » by Don_eMOCION#31 » Sun Jan 6, 2008 7:51 pm

Hey guys. There was a small discussion going around because i picked the sixers as a rivalry matchup in the new edition of previews graphics. The reason they were the only team so far was because i had the idea yesterday for the graphics and not at the beginning of the season. For future matchups i want to ask YOU who you think are our rivals. i'll take the teams with the majority of votes later. Here's the list:

Atlanta
Boston
Charlotte
Chicago
Cleveland
Dallas
Detroit
Golden State
Houston
Indiana
L.A. Clippers
L.A. Lakers
Memphis
Miami
Milwaukee
Minnesota
New Jersey
New Orleans
New York
Orlando
Philadelphia
Phoenix
Portland
Sacramento
San Antonio
Seattle
Toronto
Utah
Washington

Mark the Teams you think are our rivals or pick them out of the list and give a reason they are our rivals. :)

LIST OF VOTES SO FAR:
Philly - 2
Portland - 2
Utah - 3
Boston - 1
NY - 2
LA Clips - 1
San Antonio - 3
Suns - 1
Mavs - 1
Cleveland - 2
German Denver Nuggets Blog! http://basketball-blogs.de/nuggets/
Don_eMOCION#31
Rookie

Post#2 » by Don_eMOCION#31 » Sun Jan 6, 2008 7:55 pm

my picks are:

Philly - Iversons former team
Utah - Division Rivals (right now i'm not sure if i should pick the blazers)
NY - Only because of the brawl
Boston - Nuggets players wanted to take revenge for their beastly shame
Cleveland - Melo vs. Bron
San Antonio - Playoffs of the last years
syxx87
Rookie
And1: 1

Post#3 » by syxx87 » Sun Jan 6, 2008 8:06 pm

1#Don_IguoDalembert#9 wrote:my picks are:

Philly - Iversons former team
Utah - Division Rivals (right now i'm not sure if i should pick the blazers)
NY - Only because of the brawl
Boston - Nuggets players wanted to take revenge for their beastly shame
Cleveland - Melo vs. Bron
San Antonio - Playoffs of the last years

I would say everyone that you picked except Boston. It was only one game and if we wanted revenge for every blowout then we would be rivals with many teams. I would add Portland because they have spanked us twice and we are currently battling them for the Division title as well as Utah.
Shady08
Pro Prospect

Post#4 » by Shady08 » Sun Jan 6, 2008 8:07 pm

LA Clippers :dontknow:
Maf
Starter
And1: 868

Post#5 » by Maf » Sun Jan 6, 2008 8:14 pm

I'd say Spurs, Suns and Mavs as the best western teams. Jazz and Blazers for division. Pistons more than Celtics because we look like we're unable to beat them.

Philly not much. Yeah it's Iversons former team, but... Same with Knicks.
You can't call beating your younger retarder brother as a rivalry :nod:
"I never played a game sober, unfortunately" - Keon Clark

"I've never drunk alcohol socially. I've never took cocain socially. I've never smoked anything socially. I did all of this... to got **** up!" - Ozzy Osbourne
corona
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 234

Post#6 » by corona » Sun Jan 6, 2008 8:24 pm

i don't think we have any true rivalries.
Don_eMOCION#31
Rookie

Post#7 » by Don_eMOCION#31 » Sun Jan 6, 2008 8:40 pm

hmm... ^^ this doesn't works like i expected. the fact that corona says we haven't any real rivals is dissapointing :D
corona
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#8 » by corona » Sun Jan 6, 2008 8:58 pm

philly - just not that good. haven't had any significant meetings or real tough games. sure, ai used to play for them...but its not that relevant. is minny/boston a rivalry because kg used to play for minny? i don't think so.

new york - just not that good again. sure they had the brawl, but both meetings since have been uneventful. apparently melo kissed & made up with the guys he fought with.

boston - no big/close/tough matchups. they've significantly outplayed denver so far this season. could become one if they meet in the finals or something, but the chances of that happening aren't too high.

cleveland - totally one sided. i think denver's like 9-2 against cleveland since 2003. and there's only been one close game...which melo won with a dunk in the last 20 seconds.

san antonio - totally one sided the other direction. 5 and out (twice) doesn't really make a rivalry. they have our number until we win at least 3 games in the playoffs against them.

utah - just not that good this season. and denver wasn't all that good against utah last season. haven't had any significant/tough/big matchups since both teams have become competitive, haven't met in the playoffs. if they're rivals simply because they're in the same division with an above .500 record...than portland's more of one.

:dontknow:
Nuggetsfanduh98
Starter

Post#9 » by Nuggetsfanduh98 » Sun Jan 6, 2008 9:16 pm

I guess you could say Boston to an extent...I mean when KG was on the wolves couple years back the T-Wolves and the Nugs were pretty big rivals...KG could have carried that with him to boston???
Don_eMOCION#31
Rookie

Post#10 » by Don_eMOCION#31 » Sun Jan 6, 2008 9:17 pm

corona wrote:philly - just not that good. haven't had any significant meetings or real tough games. sure, ai used to play for them...but its not that relevant. is minny/boston a rivalry because kg used to play for minny? i don't think so.

new york - just not that good again. sure they had the brawl, but both meetings since have been uneventful. apparently melo kissed & made up with the guys he fought with.

boston - no big/close/tough matchups. they've significantly outplayed denver so far this season. could become one if they meet in the finals or something, but the chances of that happening aren't too high.

cleveland - totally one sided. i think denver's like 9-2 against cleveland since 2003. and there's only been one close game...which melo won with a dunk in the last 20 seconds.

san antonio - totally one sided the other direction. 5 and out (twice) doesn't really make a rivalry. they have our number until we win at least 3 games in the playoffs against them.

utah - just not that good this season. and denver wasn't all that good against utah last season. haven't had any significant/tough/big matchups since both teams have become competitive, haven't met in the playoffs. if they're rivals simply because they're in the same division with an above .500 record...than portland's more of one.

:dontknow:

i don't know if you're right because it maybe is the wrong way to argue. if you argue like you do there are only rivalrys in the nba when teams play against each other and the games they play are always close. rivalrys are like bill russel against chamberlain. bill russel dominated him allways but it still was a rivalry because you always wanted to see how russel gets a loss some day. same with Bulls and Jazz in the MJ era. MJ pretty much dominated them but they were always rivals.

i understand that boston and denver isn't a rivalry. it was only one game but i see much potential of an rivalry between those two teams (which i understand doesn't makes them rivals right now you guys are right about this). things like the utah and portland thing is clear. they are rivals only because of the division. i mean if you win the divison you are placed at least 4th in the playoffs. that's an great advantage. that's why the games against your division rival are harder than games against the wolves for example. games against your division rival are positive in 2 ways. you make YOUR record better and make the record of your division rival worse if you win which increases the chance to lead the division.

The Melo vs. Lebron thing is a rival because it's the same like russel against chamberlain. one side dominates but those games are highly anticipated for a reason. it's a rivalry between former college rivals who are both amazing gifted athletes...

The Iverson thing is an rivalry in my eyes too. You can't call KG vs minnesota a rivalry because KG left the town in peace. Iverson wants to proove something. the bad thing about it is that BK isn't the GM anymore.

Maybe the word rivalry is a bit misleading.
i could call it "high anticipated game" too but this sounds like bull. you cant tell me that iverson against his former team is the same thing as watching the nuggets against the wolves ("amazing" game too, sure :rofl: but there's nothing special about it.)

i dont know how to explain what i mean
pickaxe
Analyst
And1: 66

Re: RIVALRY Poll+Reason 

Post#11 » by pickaxe » Sun Jan 6, 2008 9:29 pm

No, there's no real rivalries here, just facetious ones: but new ones could form by end of season.

Boston - made a big trade just like the Iverson trade x 3
Cleveland - LeBron vs. Melo, Melo always gets LeBron's goat
Dallas - Warriors beat em in round one.....tick, tick, tick
Detroit - Chauncey Billups vs. Denver?
Golden State - Fast Break vs. Fast Break
L.A. Clippers - not anymore
L.A. Lakers - Kobe and Coby vs. AI and Melo (just for no reason at all)
Miami - Shaq vs. the Altitude
New York - it was over as of the last game (now NY can enjoy its own misery...)
Philadelphia - 'Dre was disappointed about the switch, the rivalry here is did the Denver FO make a better decision than sticking with Dre, and can Dre lead a lesser team against us more than once?
Phoenix - on the Horizon...
Portland - The New Threat
Sacramento - Brad Miller vs. Anthony Carter
San Antonio - Mano a Manu
Utah - slipping fast
Washington - Agent Zero and his altitude machine vs. the real thing
corona
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#12 » by corona » Sun Jan 6, 2008 9:36 pm

i think we just have different definitions of a rivalry.
i don't think there are that many in the nba, and we're not really involved in the ones that exist. spurs/suns, yea...multiple long playoff series that have had many close/tough contests. same could be said with dallas/phoenix (nash also used to play for dallas). two good lebron vs. detroit playoff series has made that a rivalry. detroit/boston will become one if they meet in the playoffs and it goes 6 or 7.

have we had any long playoff series with anyone? no.
have lebron/melo really gone at each other like crazy? no. they both shoot like 40% from the field and just barely top 20ppg in head to head matchups.
have there been any trends with certain teams where we always play super physical and every game is super close and the season series are always split? not really.

so i don't think we have any real rivalries with another team.
sure...i look forward to a matchup with utah because the division game means a little more, and i dislike some players on the jazz. i don't think that makes it a rivalry though.

i don't look forward to this game tonight any more than i did to the minnesota game on friday. its a game against a mediocre team that denver needs to win. if it was in philly...i'd be a little intrigued to see the reaction from their fans, but its not.
eathy
Sixth Man

Post#13 » by eathy » Sun Jan 6, 2008 9:42 pm

Dont bother with rivalry i dont think denver considers any team rivals or any teams consider denver rivals.
Don_eMOCION#31
Rookie

Post#14 » by Don_eMOCION#31 » Sun Jan 6, 2008 9:48 pm

so i should stop making something like the rivalry matchup thing in the graphics?
pickaxe
Analyst
And1: 66

Post#15 » by pickaxe » Sun Jan 6, 2008 10:22 pm

just key matchup works - most everything else gets discussed in the thread - :dontknow:

unless maybe there's a lot of discussion leading up to the matchup - or if it's a revenge game, but this is more of a back-to-back focus than just one game - it would be nice to get this one and the one against the suns
Don_eMOCION#31
Rookie

Post#16 » by Don_eMOCION#31 » Sun Jan 6, 2008 10:43 pm

i think i'll go with this key matchup idea - if you write rivalry this is a very hard word. key matchup has much questions open
RRFB
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,247

Post#17 » by RRFB » Sun Jan 6, 2008 11:10 pm

You can't say we have a rivalry with Philly or Boston. Rivalries don't start after a game or two, it takes multiple seasons and hard fought playoff series'. The closest we've ever been to that was with Minnesota a few years back.

I could see something starting up with San Antonio if we ever make it out of the first round and can push a series or two with them to six or seven games.
milehigh
Analyst
And1: 13

Post#18 » by milehigh » Mon Jan 7, 2008 12:11 am

1#Don_IguoDalembert#9 wrote:The Melo vs. Lebron thing is a rival because it's the same like russel against chamberlain. one side dominates but those games are highly anticipated for a reason. it's a rivalry between former college rivals who are both amazing gifted athletes...

LeBron was really good in college.

:P
Don_eMOCION#31
Rookie

Post#19 » by Don_eMOCION#31 » Mon Jan 7, 2008 12:30 am

okay you got me before i got myself ^^ i didn't even realized my mistake on my own. but everybody hyped both of them whenever they faced each other when they came to nba that's what i wanted to say :rofl: i think that topics done why does everybody still answers :-?
Princerod
Senior

Post#20 » by Princerod » Mon Jan 7, 2008 12:48 am

That's sad but there's no rivallry for the Nuggets.

That'd be good to have one with Utah, I imagine.
Ready for Victory

Return to Denver Nuggets