ImageImageImage

RIVALRY Poll+Reason

Moderator: THE J0KER

Neel
Senior
And1: 0

Post#21 » by Neel » Mon Jan 7, 2008 2:18 am

I always just thought the Nuggets rival is Utah. I mean, we're (theoretically) fighting for division leader. Portland threw a wrench in those plans though.
Teens On Acid
Sixth Man
And1: 67

Post#22 » by Teens On Acid » Mon Jan 7, 2008 3:10 am

i don't really see any rivals for the Nuggets at this time.
it's going to take at least 5 or 6 consecutive, hard fought conference semi finals series with the same opponent to even think about us having a rival.

rivalries come about by having played a particular team over and over again while having something important on the line.
the closest we have to that is the Spurs. and they're more of an obstacle.

i'd like to see rivalries with Portland and the Lakers in the future..
pickaxe
Analyst
And1: 66

Post#23 » by pickaxe » Mon Jan 7, 2008 5:56 am

Lakers are too much up in the air....but I could see them being a Clippers-like obstacle for the Nuggets in the playoffs this year.

Portland might just snatch that one away. Nene vs. Oden?
djtruebeliever
Bench Warmer
Location: between the click of the light and the start of the dream

Post#24 » by djtruebeliever » Mon Jan 7, 2008 8:27 am

if the Nugs have a "historical rivalry" like lakers/bulls or bulls/pistons or lakers/celtics you would have to consider Nuggets/Spurs. Even back in the aba days the Nuggets were getting matched up with (and knocked out by) the Spurs in the postseason. But yeah, it is a one sided rivalry if the Spurs don't really care because we haven't beaten them yet.
I'm in Kokokiko!
djtruebeliever
Bench Warmer
Location: between the click of the light and the start of the dream

Post#25 » by djtruebeliever » Mon Jan 7, 2008 8:29 am

I think the utah thing gets blown out of proportion because of these boards and their rampant trolling. (which has been less lately) yeah they're in the same division but we don't really get matched up with them in the playoffs...
I'm in Kokokiko!
elbowthrower
Assistant Coach
And1: 1

Post#26 » by elbowthrower » Mon Jan 7, 2008 6:12 pm

I never thought Denver had many rivals either. Relationships with other teams tend to be too lopsided.

Utah has owned us historically. Maybe if the Nugs can dominate them for 3-4 years there could be a rivalry.

S.A. owns us now and in the forseeable future. We're just like a speed bump on the way to their next championship until we prove otherwise.

The Clippers owned us when it really mattered. Otherwise they're just a perpetually lame team.

Other potential rivals like Seattle and Minnesota are just so bad right now that it doesn't really count.

I've always liked Portland so it's hard for me to hate them in the same way Kings fans hate the Lakers. And I have a lot of respect for Nate McMillan.
oaf549
Sophomore

Post#27 » by oaf549 » Mon Jan 7, 2008 6:24 pm

I'd don't know if I'd call these rivalries in the traditional sense that both teams have a history of close games, grudge matches ect. but there are a few teams I hate to see the Nuggets lose to:

Jazz - I've hated them as long as I've been a Nuggets fan
Lakers - Ever since the Kobe fiasco Lakers games have been intense...at least in Denver
Spurs - They've spanked us twice in the playoffs, I think any Nugget fan with a pulse wants to see Ginobli break his neck (not literally, but metaphorically of course because we're such nice fellows)
Timberwolves/Celtics - This one is a toss up, but I have certainly carried over my hatred for the wolves to the Celtics since KG was traded. I just hate all boston/new england teams also.
Jumpstop
Sophomore
And1: 1

Post#28 » by Jumpstop » Tue Jan 8, 2008 5:36 am

I'd classify rivalry as any team that your fanbase collectively as a whole, root to lose no matter who they play, and when they play your team, you get even more exited into a frenzy when you beat them...or even more pissed than normal when you lose.

As a Blazer fan, I can say without a doubt that the most hated rival is the Lakers. Since 1980, the Lakers have knocked the Blazers out of the playoffs 9 times. I can't stand to watch the Lakers play unless they are getting beaten senseless. Next to the Lakers, I would say the Jazz might be the next hated rivalry. Currently, they play a physical style of basketball that gets fans a little heated when they foul one of our players hard.

As for the Nuggets, I enjoy watching Melo and AI play...and really only root against them when they play the Blazers. I might say the Jazz or Spurs would be your rival, but not quite to a heated boil yet.

I do save a bit of hatred for Denver though, as they've given my Raiders fits for years now
denvers_finest
Starter
And1: 31

Post#29 » by denvers_finest » Tue Jan 8, 2008 7:06 pm

Jumpstop wrote:As a Blazer fan, I can say without a doubt that the most hated rival is the Lakers.

Jumpstop wrote:I do save a bit of hatred for Denver though, as they've given my Raiders fits for years now

Oh the irony :)
risktaker91
Banned User

Post#30 » by risktaker91 » Tue Jan 8, 2008 9:12 pm

Toronto - Camby's first team and Iverson had a rivalry against Carter a while back.
denvers_finest
Starter
And1: 31

Post#31 » by denvers_finest » Tue Jan 8, 2008 9:48 pm

Maybe Phoenix????

"They got happy, they got cocky and they rubbed our face in the game a little bit," Denver coach George Karl said. "It will be fun the next time we play them. . . . I think players should play hard, but I'm not sure they should flaunt the 3-ball."

Screamed Iverson: "We'll see all y'all (expletive) again!"
Teens On Acid
Sixth Man
And1: 67

Post#32 » by Teens On Acid » Tue Jan 8, 2008 11:01 pm

that comment by Karl was such a copout. rubbed our faces in it. please. if our guys were shooting the lights out from 3, do you think Karl would say 'stop shooting 3's guys, i think you're rubbing it in their faces too much. let's just keep the game close."

total BS.
pickaxe
Analyst
And1: 66

Post#33 » by pickaxe » Tue Jan 8, 2008 11:26 pm

KidNine wrote:that comment by Karl was such a copout. rubbed our faces in it. please. if our guys were shooting the lights out from 3, do you think Karl would say 'stop shooting 3's guys, i think you're rubbing it in their faces too much. let's just keep the game close."

total BS.

It is hypocritical considering his stance at the NY game last year - that his team needed to ensure victory or follow through. The Suns needed a recovery game....garbage time turned into shooting practice.

Maybe we need a coach that's not insulted by 3 pointers so often.

Return to Denver Nuggets