Moderator: THE J0KER

CanNugget
Senior
And1: 1

No chucky does not mean more JR 

Post#1 » by CanNugget » Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:20 pm

JR will not be playing PG if he plays at all:

http://www.denverpost.com/nuggets/ci_7927655

"When it was suggested to Karl that reserve guard J.R. Smith could try his hand at the point, the coach said, "That would be a lot of fun, putting your worst turnover-per-minute man at point guard."

The 22-year-old Smith has played once in the past four games, during garbage time in Phoenix.

As for the personal talks with Karl about his progress, Smith said: "I've talked to George three times this year. It ain't really working no more. I'm going to go keep working, doing whatever I need to do to play." "

I'm assuming JR is startin to get pissed. anyone think he will be asking for a trade?
pickaxe
Analyst
And1: 66

Post#2 » by pickaxe » Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:21 pm

Ak, we got this in two other threads.

JR's probably a little disappointed and probably still wants to work hard. He may just not know how hard he has to work.
almost famous
Rookie
And1: 0

Post#3 » by almost famous » Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:36 pm

Wow... Karl never misses a chance to take a cheap shot at JR.
CanNugget
Senior

Post#4 » by CanNugget » Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:44 pm

meloivynene wrote:Ak, we got this in two other threads.

JR's probably a little disappointed and probably still wants to work hard. He may just not know how hard he has to work.

I know i just wanted to talk about JR's displeasure and what might come of it
JRmakes_it_rain
Pro Prospect

Post#5 » by JRmakes_it_rain » Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:14 am

when asked about George Karl, aka fat boy, I replied "yeah that would be great, lets get some fat ass that hasn't ever won anything, and give him all the talent in the world, and watch him crash the plane into the mountain. I mean come on, why would we hire an outta shape, over weight, sloppy coach to do anything other then chew candy on the sidelines.....great idea Kroenke."

Couldn't resist taking a shot at him for a change.
djtruebeliever
Bench Warmer
Location: between the click of the light and the start of the dream

Post#6 » by djtruebeliever » Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:44 am

in an article written in the post recently the writer mentioned that gk had a chance to coach the all-star team because the Nugs are only 3 or 4 games back from the conference lead. what a joke.
I'm in Kokokiko!
AI4life07
Junior

Post#7 » by AI4life07 » Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:55 am

first of all why would anyone suggest playing him at pg. The question should have been is he going to get minutes playing shooting guard? I believe Karl would have been more open to that suggestion. He is a shooting guard and should stay one. Obviously Iverson would get more minutes at pg.
Nutty Nats Fan
General Manager
And1: 4,927

Post#8 » by Nutty Nats Fan » Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:20 am

djtruebeliever wrote:in an article written in the post recently the writer mentioned that gk had a chance to coach the all-star team because the Nugs are only 3 or 4 games back from the conference lead. what a joke.

But Karl's offense is perfect for the all-star game. Well, maybe a little too simple.
Powder Blue
Analyst
And1: 642

Post#9 » by Powder Blue » Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:30 am

I said this once but I'll say it again. Why does everyone on this board love the under-performing streaky 21 year old SG and hate the coach that brought Denver out of the dumpster and into the playoffs the last 4 years. Playing JR will not get us out of the first round. Every 3 pt streak he goes on is equaled with a string of turnovers that turn a small deficit into a big one.

Some of you new folks really don't appreciate what GK has done for this franchise. :banghead: :banghead:
Teens On Acid
Sixth Man
And1: 67

Post#10 » by Teens On Acid » Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:48 am

GK brought the Nugs out of the dumpster? i believe Melo had more to do with bringing the team back to playoffs than what GK did.
JRmakes_it_rain
Pro Prospect

Post#11 » by JRmakes_it_rain » Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:09 am

Bzdelik had as much to do with bringing us outta the dumpster.....
elbowthrower
Assistant Coach

Post#12 » by elbowthrower » Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:52 am

Powder Blue wrote:I said this once but I'll say it again. Why does everyone on this board love the under-performing streaky 21 year old SG and hate the coach that brought Denver out of the dumpster and into the playoffs the last 4 years. Playing JR will not get us out of the first round. Every 3 pt streak he goes on is equaled with a string of turnovers that turn a small deficit into a big one.

Some of you new folks really don't appreciate what GK has done for this franchise. :banghead: :banghead:

It's much easier to trash a coach because he's fat, white and ugly than it is to question a bonehead player's shortcomings.

See my Karl haters thread. The only viable replacement the board could offer was A.D. The rest of it was empty criticism and lame alternatives.

And A.D. still would have difficulties with this team. The honeymoon would be nice but over the long haul getting AI, Melo, Kmart, Camby, Nene, and JR to mesh would not be as easy as it seems.
Teens On Acid
Sixth Man

Post#13 » by Teens On Acid » Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:50 am

sooo...because there's nobody available RIGHT NOW that means GK is the best coach for this team?

i clearly stated why i think George Karl is bad for not only this team, but any team. He's completely over rated as a coach of talent and has never won anything substantial in his career (don't even think about bringing up ONE finals appearance)

the teams he has coached do ok in the regular season but he is a TERRIBLE playoff coach..horrible. and how many times has George Karl won coach of the year again?

right now, i'd probably take Chuck Daly over George Karl.

in a perfect world, we'd have a younger coach more in tune with today's game and the younger players...

so i'm going to flip this back on you..why don't you tell us WHY George Karl is good for the Nuggets and WHY should we keep him?
elbowthrower
Assistant Coach

Post#14 » by elbowthrower » Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:48 pm

KidNine wrote: sooo...because there's nobody available RIGHT NOW that means GK is the best coach for this team?

Yes.

KidNine wrote:i clearly stated why i think George Karl is bad for not only this team, but any team. He's completely over rated as a coach of talent and has never won anything substantial in his career (don't even think about bringing up ONE finals appearance)

the teams he has coached do ok in the regular season but he is a TERRIBLE playoff coach..horrible. and how many times has George Karl won coach of the year again?

Which is a meaningful way to evaluate a coaches' performance, right?

KidNine wrote: right now, i'd probably take Chuck Daly over George Karl.

...which is why you're not the GM of an NBA franchise. :wink:

Oh and he's reallllly young and in tune.

KidNine wrote: in a perfect world, we'd have a younger coach more in tune with today's game and the younger players...

None of the best coaches in the league are young and "in tune...". Popp? Phil? Sloan? Scott? The closest you get is Nate McMillan and he's a notorious hardass. Sorry, but I hate that. It's up to the players to show the coach why they deserve their jobs, and not vice versa.

KidNine wrote:
so i'm going to flip this back on you..why don't you tell us WHY George Karl is good for the Nuggets and WHY should we keep him?

For the record, I don't think he's the best coach, but I do think he should get until the end of the year. He has a lot of experience, does a good job keeping the team in line, motivates the players, is a good defensive coach, and (when he himself gets fired up) is capable of winning a lot of games. The team tends to do well down the stretch of the season when momentum really matters.

He also has a lot of flaws. The lack of energy he sometimes shows is a concern. Sometimes- but not always- he goes too far with the media. When it comes to the "chess match" of basketball, superior coaches - ones we'll likely face in the playoffs- own him.

However, I am tired of seeing the revolving door of role players and key players and think that at this point the team is better off left to try and work with what they have rather than make yet another change- and in the case of the coach a change would be significant.

This is the first full year the team has had together. Let's see what happens. If the team gets to the playoffs and gets booted in the first round- and it's Karl's fault- fine, then fire him.
denvers_finest
Starter
And1: 31

Post#15 » by denvers_finest » Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:00 pm

KidNine wrote: has never won anything substantial in his career (don't even think about bringing up ONE finals appearance)

So, Sloan is a terrible coach to. As is McMillian, Mitchell, VanGundy, D'Anoni, Avery.....should I continue?

Basketball doesn't have alot of disparity, of the coaches in the league right now, I can only think of 3 that have won a title, Pop, Jackson, and Riley. And I don't think were going to be getting any of them any time soon.
Teens On Acid
Sixth Man

Post#16 » by Teens On Acid » Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:24 pm

i'm not in the mood for arguing, nor have the time to post all the stats....

but putting George Karl in the same category as Phil Jackson, Jerry Sloan, Pop etc is down right insulting to those coaches.

i know sarcasm is hard to define online without stating you're being sarcastic..but come on...chuck daly?
when i'm sitting here saying how we need a younger coach?

you guys...
pickaxe
Analyst
And1: 66

Post#17 » by pickaxe » Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:27 pm

http://www.answers.com/topic/phil-jackson

read the "motivational techniques" near the bottom - for phil jackson

does GK have any special way of going about it.....does he have motivational techniques......is it neccesary to win a championship? it certainly doesn't hurt to have that "extra" motivation

i mean we're talking about titles here...
T-33
Freshman

Post#18 » by T-33 » Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:47 pm

How can you call George Karl a good coach, he constantly creates scape goats and calling out one of your own players, as many time as he has this year with JR, it's got to the point where I really would take ANY other coach.

The way George Karl talks about JR to the media would make you think he's the worse player in the league..But look at JR's stats so far this year...

10.1 ppg w/ 18 minutes per game
1.81 TO per game, per minute AI and JR are close enough, that George really shouldnt use that as an excuse.
His FG% is up to 42.3, his 3 point % is up to 39.1%
and his FT% is now in the 80%
*He's more commited this year on D than last year.

Really he isnt the player GK is making him out to be, I want him to go to a team like Golden State or Phoenix so he can thrive their, but his talent and potential to me makes him hard to let go.
JRmakes_it_rain
Pro Prospect

Post#19 » by JRmakes_it_rain » Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:36 am

T-33 wrote:How can you call George Karl a good coach, he constantly creates scape goats and calling out one of your own players, as many time as he has this year with JR, it's got to the point where I really would take ANY other coach.

The way George Karl talks about JR to the media would make you think he's the worse player in the league..But look at JR's stats so far this year...

10.1 ppg w/ 18 minutes per game
1.81 TO per game, per minute AI and JR are close enough, that George really shouldnt use that as an excuse.
His FG% is up to 42.3, his 3 point % is up to 39.1%
and his FT% is now in the 80%
*He's more commited this year on D than last year.

Really he isnt the player GK is making him out to be, I want him to go to a team like Golden State or Phoenix so he can thrive their, but his talent and potential to me makes him hard to let go.

when u lay the stats out there like that, it makes the whole debate even more comical, on Karl not playing him, and calling him out.

Return to Denver Nuggets