ImageImageImage

Camby to Clippers!!!

Moderator: THE J0KER

Raptolicism
Rookie
And1: 480

Re: Camby to Clippers!!! 

Post#121 » by Raptolicism » Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:11 am

I've always liked Camby b/c the Raptors drafted him back in the day and he played well for us. He eventually got traded for Charles Oakley but I've always liked him on different teams. There was no bad blood - nobody ever boos him, and trust me, some of us still boo Damon. I've actually got like 5 Camby autographs.

If I'm not mistaken, Carmelo was the only one of the Bosh/Lebron/Wade quattro in the '03 draft that did not sign a shorter initial contract extension, in order to start a new contract when they reach the magic age(27?). I think at 27 you can sign for more, and I always thought that this was a sign of Anthony showing his commitment to Denver, sacrificing at least a few million out of his own pocket. Nuggets management repays him by throwing away a key contributor to save some bucks. I admit that I may not know the whole story, but I don't see how this moves a team foward in general.
YEEEAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!! WE THE CHAMPS BABY!!! WOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,338

Post#122 » by The Rebel » Sun Jul 20, 2008 2:07 pm

While this deal looks horrible on the surface, I think many people are overreacting. More then half of the fans on this board were screaming that they would dump Camby for anything, while I said I wanted value for him. Now that the deal has happened where they got nothing for Camby many of these same fans are pissed, but the funny part is I am happy with this deal.

This deal means that ownership and the front office have accepted what many of us did a year ago, not only is Camby overrated but this team as constructed will go nowhere and why not prepare for next season when they can do something about it. This move not only removes Camby's salary this year, but also next season after AI's deal is up. With the money they free up they will have the pick, a ton of money under the tax, the MLE and trade exception, to add three or four players who fit with the younger guys on the team. Overall worst case scenario is that this is a step back to take a step forward next year, best case scenario is that like many on here have suggested at times, is that the team improves without Camby's selfish style and ways that he has displayed over the years.
ambiglight
Bench Warmer
And1: 0

Post#123 » by ambiglight » Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:05 pm

yeah you're one of the only folks that wanted value for camby.... :roll:

odds are they arent even going to use the exception, so dumping salary now as opposed to next year does nothing to advance their position. they could have done the exact same thing next year with the added benefit of at least attempting to compete this season while they had the talent...
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,338

Post#124 » by The Rebel » Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:51 am

ambiglight wrote:yeah you're one of the only folks that wanted value for camby.... :roll:

odds are they arent even going to use the exception, so dumping salary now as opposed to next year does nothing to advance their position. they could have done the exact same thing next year with the added benefit of at least attempting to compete this season while they had the talent...

I fully believe they will use the exception, they will probably just wait until next year after AI has expired (if they keep him that long). That way they can add a good piece from a team in the same position they are in this year.
MHZ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 531

Post#125 » by MHZ » Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:08 pm

With their track record of letting these trade exceptions come and go without being used, I wouldn't be surprised.
Blame Rasho
On Leave
And1: 8,466

Post#126 » by Blame Rasho » Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:37 pm

I think you should have asked for the rights of Jordan at least...

Return to Denver Nuggets