el loco
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 0

Birdman getting it done  

Post#1 » by el loco » Fri Nov 6, 2009 8:55 pm

Birdman getting it done – without flash
By Chris Dempsey

A new version of Chris Andersen is starting to emerge this season, one without the game-in, game-out flash.

But one just as effective. Maybe moreso.

His blocks – the staple of his game – are down, but his rebounds have held steady. His minutes are up. His free throw percentage is up. His effectiveness as a mid-range jump shooter is rising. All of the numbers aren’t good, but statistics don’t all the time tell the entire story.

His wings aren’t totally clipped, but he is morphing into the kind of player every team needs, a guy who can contribute consistently in a variety of different ways on an every night basis.

“He’s not playing those spectacular games, those games where the momentum of the game has been dictated by him, but he’s still giving us good minutes,” Nuggets coach George Karl said.

Andersen has also dealt with nagging injuries. He suffered a right knee contusion on Tuesday at Indiana.

On top of that, teams are more aware of him, which is contributing to fewer shot-blocking opportunities.

“I don’t think he’s going to have as many roaming opportunities as he did last year,” Karl said. “He was a great shot blocker and a great offensive rebounder for us, but I don’t think his energy has been bad. I just don’t think he’s had that explosive, spectacular game.”

Andersen is averaging 5.8 points, 6.2 rebounds and a block in 22.0 minutes per game.

http://blogs.denverpost.com/nuggets/200 ... out-flash/
MHZ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 531

Re: Birdman getting it done  

Post#2 » by MHZ » Fri Nov 6, 2009 8:59 pm

Edited the last part of the article out, since we're not supposed to copy and past entire article.

Nice find. I imagine we'll have a breakout performance by Birdman coming shortly in the blocks category - generally those are home games.
el loco
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#3 » by el loco » Fri Nov 6, 2009 9:10 pm

I knew that, sorry, it slipped my mind.

I kinda sorta like the energized version of the Birdman better than the out of shape Birdsiht that started the season, but his numbers are still pretty good.
SnakefromHell
Banned User

Post#4 » by SnakefromHell » Sat Nov 7, 2009 12:25 pm

Still not the answer for us. I'd go crazy if Karl starts him with Nene now KMart is out. He's been 100% weak side defender this season, not even Camby in his Nugget tenure was this bad defensively. Let's just hope he gets his last season form back, although I doubt it, I suspect this cat is one of those who get fat easily after securing a desired contract... or age may just catch up to him.

As a 2nd big man off the bench? I really like Bird, as a 1st big man off the bench...? That sucks. As a starter? That's saying, "let's lose games".

Return to Denver Nuggets