Hollinger talks Nuggets

Moderator: THE J0KER

MHZ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 531

Hollinger talks Nuggets 

Post#1 » by MHZ » Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:30 am

A rare Hollinger piece that those of us sans Insider can actually read. Part of the Daily Dime.

"Do we need to find another player to play in the rotation?" said Karl "Maybe."

To beat the Lakers, more like definitely. The good news is that finding that player -- a big man who can guard the likes of Bynum and Gasol in May and June -- may not be as much of a longshot as some suspect. For one, several teams with playoff hopes have been both disappointing and have high payrolls (Washington and Indiana, for instance), which could lead them to shop moderately priced veteran bigs like Brendan Haywood or Jeff Foster.

For another, the idea of Denver taking on salary doesn't seem quite as ridiculous as it did a few months ago. Yes, the Nuggets are in luxury tax territory and the franchise doesn't generate huge sums of money. However, owner Stan Kroenke is one of the league's few moguls to see his net worth increase in the past year -- that large stake in Wal-Mart may not be sexy, but it is recession-proof. As a result, he might feel more inclined to pull the trigger on a deal that brings in a veteran post defender if it can buy him two extra wins in the conference finals this spring.

http://espn.go.com/nba/dailydime/_/page ... daily-dime
GuyJones
Junior
And1: 54

Re: Hollinger talks Nuggets 

Post#2 » by GuyJones » Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:14 pm

decent article. He gives no suggestion on who we could possibly pick up to fill that 10th man role he talks about. It is pretty hard though, who can we get (with the assets we have left) that could do anything to stop Pau and Bynum.

Not saying we need someone who is amazing at stoping them, i think Nene and Kmart can do most of it, we just need a big to come off the bench with energy (like birdman) who actually rebounds consistently though.

A reggie evans type player except i want nothing to do with him.
CanNugget
Senior
And1: 1

Post#3 » by CanNugget » Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:38 pm

he says haywood or foster. i wouldnt mind either but i doubt we get them. like you said we have nothing to give except trash.
GuyJones
Junior
And1: 54

Post#4 » by GuyJones » Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:49 pm

ohh i must have missed those. Foster would be good, can stretch the floor but ya what can we give up to get him that wouldn't destroy our chemistry. Tough call.

Same with Haywood (except for the 3s), WAS would want a lot more than we can give for him i feel.
MHZ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 531

Post#5 » by MHZ » Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:00 am

I'd actually be a big fan of the Nuggets adding Haywood because of his size and rebounding ability, but I'm not sure the Nuggets have the firepower to get it done.

Return to Denver Nuggets