ImageImageImage

Nuggets Offer Karl Extension

Moderator: THE J0KER

Powder Blue
Analyst
And1: 642

Nuggets Offer Karl Extension 

Post#1 » by Powder Blue » Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:59 pm

Steps are being made for the Nuggets to lock down coach George Karl for the next three years. Karl has been offered a contract extension worth around $11 million, a source confirmed this morning.

http://www.denverpost.com/nuggets/ci_14055886
el loco
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 0

Re: Nuggets Offer Karl Extension 

Post#2 » by el loco » Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:58 pm

I saw this, and I am glad that Karl didn't take the deal. But it's no secret that I don't like many of his beliefs as a coach, so I guess I am biased on the issue.
Teens On Acid
Sixth Man
And1: 67

Post#3 » by Teens On Acid » Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:14 pm

well that's just fantastic
Powder Blue
Analyst
And1: 642

Post#4 » by Powder Blue » Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:50 pm

Where'd you read that he didn't take the deal?
SnakefromHell
Banned User

Post#5 » by SnakefromHell » Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:59 pm

Take the safe/ secure way and you'll never achieve your dreams silly, take risks dammit!!!

I'd vouch for a rookie coach, go get Bill Laimbeer, I bet he gets instant respect... that's a bad boy who commands respect from his subordinates, unlike most people who only know how to do one thing (either to lead or to manage) Bill knows how to do both those two things: to lead and to manage... and he knows what he's doing.

Noone will mess with him, he'd tell the team to do this, they'd go "okay coach"... he's a bad boy and he'd be good for us. Unlike Karl, when Bill swears you believe those words.
el loco
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#6 » by el loco » Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:50 pm

Powder Blue wrote:Where'd you read that he didn't take the deal?

To be fair it said that the 2 sides were a bit off in the money aspect:

The Denver Nuggets have a made a multiyear contract extension offer to coach George Karl, but sources said the sides remain a good bit apart when it comes to finalizing a deal.

Sources said the offer is for three years for a total amount a little more than $11 million, but the third year hasn't been fully guaranteed at this time by the Nuggets. The average amount per year is similar to what Karl, earning a $3 million base salary plus incentives in the final year of his deal, is currently making but is less than the average coach's salary in the West of a little more than $4 million.

Indications are Karl and the Nuggets are a few million dollars apart on the total value of the deal. And there also are questions regarding how much of the third year might be guaranteed.

Bret Adams, Karl's attorney, would not comment on any specifics regarding negotiations. All Adams would say is that the sides are talking.

"Both parties are working hard and trying to use the end of the year as a point of a soft deadline," Adams said.

That is in line with what Karl told FanHouse on Dec. 11. Karl said he wants to return to the Nuggets but there could come a point around the start of 2010 in which it wouldn't be prudent to continue negotiations on an extension.

"There's got to be a point probably after the first of the year that you say, 'If we don't get anything done by this date, let's shut it down and let's worry about winning,''' Karl said.

Link to the rest of it:

http://nba.fanhouse.com/2009/12/22/nugg ... orge-karl/
maxwellcu
Bench Warmer
And1: 532

Post#7 » by maxwellcu » Thu Dec 24, 2009 1:35 am

Karl is a mediocre coach. I thought he was pretty terrible until last year but winning seems to cure all. His rotations and timeout usage in particular are occasionally head-scratchers.
KAVK
Bench Warmer
And1: 1

Post#8 » by KAVK » Thu Dec 24, 2009 4:12 am

Karl is not the one! Hope Billups will fill the gap for us.
George Karl !
JRMelo15
Rookie

Post#9 » by JRMelo15 » Thu Dec 24, 2009 4:30 am

Odds are Karl will probably take the deal for 3 years. CB pretty much has 3 years left in him. It'd be awesome to see Chauncey as the Nuggets' next HC!
SnakefromHell
Banned User

Post#10 » by SnakefromHell » Thu Dec 24, 2009 4:50 am

^Karl will groom him too to take his job... "this is how you get me fired faster" lol

Then Chauncey adds Rasheed as his assistant coach to take care of the tech department
KAVK
Bench Warmer

Post#11 » by KAVK » Thu Dec 24, 2009 6:34 am

JRMelo15 wrote:Odds are Karl will probably take the deal for 3 years. CB pretty much has 3 years left in him. It'd be awesome to see Chauncey as the Nuggets' next HC!

Man is 33 now & i expect him to play 2-3 more years with the team mentoring youngsters then slide into coaching staff right after is what i would like to see. I have no doubt that he will handle HC's job right off playing straight.
George Karl !
KAVK
Bench Warmer

Post#12 » by KAVK » Thu Dec 24, 2009 1:44 pm

SnakefromHell wrote:^Karl will groom him too to take his job... "this is how you get me fired faster" lol

Then Chauncey adds Rasheed as his assistant coach to take care of the tech department

Leader's action speaks for itself , ain't no grooming will happen. We ain't blind, all have seen what Chauncy has done for this team so far.
George Karl !

Return to Denver Nuggets