Kershaw Offered "A-Rod Deal" by Dodgers

Moderator: TyCobb

Da Schwab
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,619

Kershaw Offered "A-Rod Deal" by Dodgers 

Post#1 » by Da Schwab » Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:53 pm

The Los Angeles Dodgers offered left-hander Clayton Kershaw essentially a lifetime contract in the range of $300 million -- "an A-Rod deal" -- earlier this season, according to a source with knowledge of its scope and structure.

The two sides were unable to finish negotiations, sources say, because Kershaw was initially uncertain about committing to a deal so encompassing, and about having contract talks during the season.

But the negotiations progressed enough that there is confidence among some with knowledge of the talks that a long-term deal -- perhaps more conservative in length than the massive contract initially proposed by the Dodgers -- will be concluded this winter, with a significant portion of money being devoted to a charity of Kershaw's choosing.

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/mlb/stor ... ource-says

I can't say we all didn't expect this, but it still triggers a "Holy crap, that's a lot of money" type reaction.
Higga
Lead Assistant
And1: 831

Re: Kershaw Offered "A-Rod Deal" by Dodgers 

Post#2 » by Higga » Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:51 pm

I don't know if it's worth it for a Pitcher. Kershaw is a monster no doubt but Pitchers can lose it so fast it's such a huge risk. I mean look at Lincecum...
Eric Maynor is the worst basketball player I've ever seen.
Quake Griffin
RealGM
And1: 4,640

Re: Kershaw Offered "A-Rod Deal" by Dodgers 

Post#3 » by Quake Griffin » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:52 pm

Higga wrote:I don't know if it's worth it for a Pitcher. Kershaw is a monster no doubt but Pitchers can lose it so fast it's such a huge risk. I mean look at Lincecum...

Lincecum does have a small frame combined with an unorthodox and violent release.

He lost the velocity on his fastball. Then teams were able to time his change up better and he can't locate anything else.

I think if Kershaw loses velocity on his fastball....it usually sits at 94 n ticks 95 and it drops to 90-92 he will be ok...not best pitcher in the game ok, but ok. Why?

His curve and slider are plus pitches and he can locate them (smh at game 6).
His change up is still developing.
He has those funky hitches in his delivery that throws hitters off that allow his fastball to get up on the hitter quicker than his velocity suggests.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums mobile app
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.

Return to The General MLB Board