Does it really matter if Pete Rose betted as a player?

Moderator: TyCobb

DanielSan
Ballboy
And1: 5

Does it really matter if Pete Rose betted as a player? 

Post#1 » by DanielSan » Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:10 pm

We know he betted as a manager, & we found out he did also as a player. But guess what? At the end of the day - WHO THE F**K CARES!?

That's nothing compared to how many number of players are juiced up with HGH & other steroids time & time again (*cough* A-Rod *cough*) & they are still playing. Why don't we just "forgive 'n' forget" & bring back Rose into baseball (& have him enshrined for the HOF), cause he did NOT embarrass the sport as much as he embarrass his own self.
El Turco
GOTB Fantasy Basketball Ultimate 2x Champion
And1: 20,560

Re: Does it really matter if Pete Rose betted as a player? 

Post#2 » by El Turco » Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:11 am

league has a long dirty history with gambling, i am sure they care.
TheLowlySquire wrote:Wow, Arda! Huge!

Howard Mass wrote:Arda is not a terrorist. Arda is a good person.
Higga
Lead Assistant
And1: 831

Post#3 » by Higga » Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:05 pm

Yes of course it matters. You bet on your team to lose, you're going to throw the game, manipulating the outcome...you don't see how that couldn't be disastrous?

I think the big thing is, he kept denying it and lying about it for years. If he had just flat out come out and admitted his mistake when it first came out(in the 80s), by now he'd have long been forgiven and probably had his ban removed.
Eric Maynor is the worst basketball player I've ever seen.
Mr. E
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,510
Location: Defending Planet Earth with a Jet-Pack & a Ray-Gun!

Post#4 » by Mr. E » Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:43 am

Higga wrote:Yes of course it matters. You bet on your team to lose, you're going to throw the game, manipulating the outcome...you don't see how that couldn't be disastrous?

I think the big thing is, he kept denying it and lying about it for years. If he had just flat out come out and admitted his mistake when it first came out(in the 80s), by now he'd have long been forgiven and probably had his ban removed.

Higga has the right of this.

If he bet on games as a player then it is game over. He bet on his own team. The opposition argument would be that he never bet against his team...but did he bet on his team every game? Did he not bet on his team when he didn't think that they could win?
"A fanatic is one who can't change their mind and won't change the subject."
- Winston Churchill
smallgains
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,369

Post#5 » by smallgains » Sun Jan 31, 2016 4:28 pm

Even betting on your own team can hurt the team. Trying to stretch a single or a double because of pressure to cover the bet when he could take the safer choice.

It's really a bad idea all around.

A lot still do it, they just use a friend or family member to place the bet. It's naive to think otherwise.
Bricks
Freshman
And1: 11

Post#6 » by Bricks » Mon Feb 1, 2016 9:56 pm

HGH and other enhancement products are used to help win... If 100% of his bets was for the Reds to win than I wouldn't have a problem with his history.
Luv those Knicks
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,226

Post#7 » by Luv those Knicks » Thu May 12, 2016 8:03 am

It's clearly a bad idea. Do I care, personally, no, and should he be forgiven, I think so, but baseball wants to make a tough stand and I get that.

It's kind of a big deal and I get that, but I think what the Cards did spying on the Astros was worse. Stealing signs using a guy with binoculars calling the dugout is worse and nobody's been banned for life over that. Certainly the collusion the owners did to not pay free agents too much - a million times worse than placing a bet on your team. So, I get it, he was in the wrong but my personal feeling is that enough time has passed, let it go. Elect him to the hall and let him back in baseball.
Go NY Go NY Go
ErnieDiGregorio
Pro Prospect
And1: 76

Post#8 » by ErnieDiGregorio » Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:28 am

no,it doesnt matter
Camping Fan
Senior
And1: 215

Post#9 » by Camping Fan » Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:39 am

I would have no problem with letting the dude get into the Hall fame - they could put him in a department created for "The Black sheep of the family - and note other infamous players like the ones who cheated with steroids. Bonds and comes to mind
Lakers 2020
jason bourne
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,602

Post#10 » by jason bourne » Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:24 am

Pete Rose's life matters, but I still wouldn't let him into the HOF. Not only did he lie so many times, he bet against his own team. The guy should've gone to prison. He did go to prison for cheating on his taxes. Now he should go for perjury and obstruction of justice.
“The most contrarian thing of all is not to oppose the crowd but to think for yourself.” Peter Thiel

ImageImage
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM
And1: 3,242

Post#11 » by bluejerseyjinx » Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:35 pm

Yes. And there is nothing more for me to add that wasn't already covered in previous posts.
Laimbeer
RealGM
And1: 14,045

Post#12 » by Laimbeer » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:09 pm

It matters, but at some point isn't enough, enough? He's been banned from the game for 28 years. He's paid for his transgressions. Not all sentences have to be life sentences.

Advocating for his return and enshrinement isn't the same as saying what he did was okay.
GreatWhiteStiff
RealGM
And1: 12,413

Post#13 » by GreatWhiteStiff » Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:09 pm

I've always find this argument lol. Betting on your own team occasionally is no big fing deal. It's not like he doesn't try when he's not betting on his team. If he tries harder while betting...well so be it. When it comes to that vs cheating with hgh or roids I think it's really no contest.

Also people have addictions and are not necessarily in control of their actions when it comes to making bets etc.

Let's playin for 9th!

"OG puts the clamps on point guards like Trae Young." -DelAbbot
danfantastk32
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,636

Post#14 » by danfantastk32 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:18 am

From Yahoosports: "Another controversy has found Pete Rose, baseball’s embattled hit king. According to a sworn statement filed in a Pennsylvania court Monday by an unidentified woman, Rose maintained a sexual relationship with her in the 1970s when she says she was under the age of 16.
They both lived in Ohio at the time, where 16 is the age of consent. If true — Rose admits the relationship but says she was older than 16 — Rose wouldn’t face criminal charges for statutory rape because the statute of limitations has expired."

Nice. I certainly hope this guy never makes the HoF. He gambled....and there was a penalty involved.

He was a married man in his mid-30's with kids cheating outside baseball as well. Sounds like a pattern to me. I guess you can believe him, and not her (he's been so f-ing honest to date) that she was over 16....that's your choice.

Giant, bloated, cheating, creep-oid. Too funny that anyone wants to see this cheater in the HoF.
tocooks101
Senior
And1: 429

Post#15 » by tocooks101 » Tue Sep 5, 2017 10:14 pm

DanielSan wrote:We know he betted as a manager, & we found out he did also as a player. But guess what? At the end of the day - WHO THE F**K CARES!?

That's nothing compared to how many number of players are juiced up with HGH & other steroids time & time again (*cough* A-Rod *cough*) & they are still playing. Why don't we just "forgive 'n' forget" & bring back Rose into baseball (& have him enshrined for the HOF), cause he did NOT embarrass the sport as much as he embarrass his own self.

Only people with integrity will care.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#16 » by Ruzious » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:13 pm

It goes directly to the integrity of the game. I'm not sure how the Pete Rose apologists don't get that.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,373

Post#17 » by JonFromVA » Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:49 pm

DanielSan wrote:We know he betted as a manager, & we found out he did also as a player. But guess what? At the end of the day - WHO THE F**K CARES!?

Who cares whether Pete Rose gets in the Hall of Fame?

Feel free to enshrine him in your house, or your mind; but he broke the biggest rule in the game, got caught, then lied about it.

And personally, I support baseball writers who refuse to give HOF votes to any member of the steroid/HGH era, because unfortunately proving who did or did not cheat is so hard. Not the case for Pete, though, they nailed him for his cheating.
Howling Mad
General Manager
And1: 577

Post#18 » by Howling Mad » Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:20 am

Pete Rose betting on baseball in 1989 is like me and you drinking alcohol in the 1920's.
old skool
General Manager
And1: 3,480

Post#19 » by old skool » Thu Dec 6, 2018 9:43 pm

There are consequences when you break a rule.

Rose was paid millions of dollars to play, coach and manage baseball. One of the conditions of his employment was that he not bet on any baseball games. He violated that condition. He agreed to accept his punishment. Not a lot of unresolved issues here.
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,523

Post#20 » by Dr Positivity » Sun Dec 23, 2018 4:35 am

I think way to defend it would be to have sympathy for an addict. If he was betting nearly every game and always for his team, it's not like he was searching out opportunities for profit.

On downside a manager betting on games puts the health of players at risk. I wonder if there were games where he left the pitcher in extra long to try to secure his bet. He also could have hurt the Reds by not using his best relievers in games he wasn't betting in to save them for the ones he was

Return to The General MLB Board