Bryce Harper or Mike Trout

Moderator: TyCobb

MisterRogers
Banned User
And1: 44

Bryce Harper or Mike Trout 

Post#1 » by MisterRogers » Sun Jul 5, 2015 7:01 am

Just curious to see what people think in terms of who the better player is now and in future. Bryce is just beasting right now
El Turco
GOTB Fantasy Basketball Ultimate 2x Champion
And1: 20,560

Re: Bryce Harper or Mike Trout 

Post#2 » by El Turco » Sun Jul 5, 2015 8:26 am

trout no question
TheLowlySquire wrote:Wow, Arda! Huge!

Howard Mass wrote:Arda is not a terrorist. Arda is a good person.
MisterRogers
Banned User
And1: 44

Post#3 » by MisterRogers » Mon Jul 6, 2015 2:06 am

How is it no question? I think its pretty even. Harper is so far having the better year and only 22.
artsncrafts
RealGM
And1: 25,039

Post#4 » by artsncrafts » Tue Jul 7, 2015 12:23 am

Not Bryce Harper
Harold_and_Kumar wrote:What if the 10 incher was overrated and the 4 incher was too small for any playing time, but the 7 incher was a perfect fit for our roster and the 5 incher was good for specific situations, like backdoor cuts?
El Turco
GOTB Fantasy Basketball Ultimate 2x Champion
And1: 20,560

Post#5 » by El Turco » Tue Jul 7, 2015 2:35 am

MisterRogers wrote:How is it no question? I think its pretty even. Harper is so far having the better year and only 22.

being the best player in the league past 3 years>>having the better 2 months
TheLowlySquire wrote:Wow, Arda! Huge!

Howard Mass wrote:Arda is not a terrorist. Arda is a good person.
Higga
Lead Assistant
And1: 831

Post#6 » by Higga » Mon Jul 13, 2015 2:37 pm

Harper but then again I'm biased.

Its close though. I think Trout is the better fielder and base runner/stealer. Harper will be the better hitter, especially in terms of power.

You ain't cryin with either one.
Eric Maynor is the worst basketball player I've ever seen.
Mamba Mentality
RealGM
And1: 19,536

Post#7 » by Mamba Mentality » Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:23 pm

Harper himself said that Trout is the best player in baseball. Case closed.
MaltonMavericks
Senior
And1: 490

Post#8 » by MaltonMavericks » Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:06 pm

Trout is one of the best players ever. I love me some Bryce and hes definitely up there but right now I take Trout all day.
Zeitgeister
General Manager
And1: 5,836

Post#9 » by Zeitgeister » Sat Jul 18, 2015 3:51 am

I'm siding with Trout, that said Harper has a chance to match him, which I cannot believe I'm saying but hell it might be true. If Harper can hit like he has, he might be one of those guys that can actually put up a few 40-50+ home run seasons and that could make the difference.
Lenin wrote: All over the world, wherever there are capitalists, freedom of the press means freedom to buy up newspapers, to buy writers, to bribe, buy and fake "public opinion" for the benefit of the bourgeoisie.
isiah_thomas
Analyst
And1: 1,154

Post#10 » by isiah_thomas » Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:47 am

Trout best player in baseball now and in the future
Luv those Knicks
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,240

Post#11 » by Luv those Knicks » Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:44 am

Harper's a year younger and he's having a great year (they're both having great years). He could get there but he's not there yet.
Go NY Go NY Go
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,859

Post#12 » by Stanford » Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:17 pm

Harper is great, but Trout is historically great. This one isn't close.
Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 54,373

Post#13 » by Raps in 4 » Thu Aug 6, 2015 3:16 pm

Josh Donaldson
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#14 » by The_Hater » Thu Aug 6, 2015 8:11 pm

MisterRogers wrote:How is it no question? I think its pretty even. Harper is so far having the better year and only 22.

Yes Harper is having a slightly better season in terms of WAR but it's extremely close. And the season isn't over.

Harper has never placed in the top 10 in WAR before this season. Trout has never finished lower than 2nd. Trout wins career WAR in a landslide. Trout wins WAR from the start of the 2014 season in a rout.

Maybe this will be a worthy debate at some point in the future but as of right now it's just not.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
Zeitgeister
General Manager

Post#15 » by Zeitgeister » Thu Aug 6, 2015 10:14 pm

The_Hater wrote:

Yes Harper is having a slightly better season in terms of WAR but it's extremely close. And the season isn't over.

Harper has never placed in the top 10 in WAR before this season. Trout has never finished lower than 2nd. Trout wins career WAR in a landslide. Trout wins WAR from the start of the 2014 season in a rout.

Maybe this will be a worthy debate at some point in the future but as of right now it's just not.

Yeah but the question is about who is better now and in the future. You said yourself, Harper is having a slightly better season. We don't know what will happen in the future, a reasonable bet is that its going to be close between these two for the next decade if they can stay healthy. Harper has to maintain a comfortable hitting advantage for this to be close, as Trout will always have him beat on defense. These two almost seem like a repeat of Bonds vs Griffey of the 90s, though perhaps even better.
Lenin wrote: All over the world, wherever there are capitalists, freedom of the press means freedom to buy up newspapers, to buy writers, to bribe, buy and fake "public opinion" for the benefit of the bourgeoisie.
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#16 » by The_Hater » Thu Aug 6, 2015 11:15 pm

Zeitgeister wrote:
The_Hater wrote:

Yeah but the question is about who is better now and in the future. You said yourself, Harper is having a slightly better season. We don't know what will happen in the future, a reasonable bet is that its going to be close between these two for the next decade if they can stay healthy. Harper has to maintain a comfortable hitting advantage for this to be close, as Trout will always have him beat on defense. These two almost seem like a repeat of Bonds vs Griffey of the 90s, though perhaps even better.

You're right, I didn't read the OP's question very clearly.

I still pick Trout for all the same reasons + he plays a far more important defensively position at a high level. This doesn't take anything away from Harper who has all the making of a HOF player considering how great he looks at age 22 but Trout could be in the conversation for GOAT before he's done. Apparently he's had the greatest before age 23 career of all time as a starting point.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
hyper316
RealGM
And1: 9,672

Post#17 » by hyper316 » Sat Aug 8, 2015 11:02 pm

considering injury, take trout
UN-Owen
Banned User
And1: 409

Post#18 » by UN-Owen » Fri Aug 28, 2015 4:24 am

I think as time goes on, Harper will be thought of as the superior hitter, while Trout may hold onto the tag of "best in show"

Kinda like a Bonds/Griffey thing
Zeitgeister
General Manager

Post#19 » by Zeitgeister » Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:42 pm

Bryce Harper is the much superior hitter right now, which is no knock on Trout, so much so that it could be argued he's the better player this year. His WAR is higher than Trout's this year.

Trout has done more earlier in his career but if Harper can maintain this kind of hitting advantage and stay healthy he could be the better player.

As to the Bonds/Griffey thing, I think Bonds was considerably better than Griffey. He had considerably superior hitting numbers and stole over twice as many bases in the 90s as Griffey did. Bonds was also a good defender in left, I don't think Griffey's defensive advantage playing an up the middle position was enough to surpass all of that.
Higga
Lead Assistant
And1: 831

Post#20 » by Higga » Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:55 pm

If Harper's team wasn't crushed by injuries all year he probably wins the NL Triple Crown(as it is he leads in average and homers, way behind on RBIs because nobody else on the team can get on base in front of him).
Eric Maynor is the worst basketball player I've ever seen.

Return to The General MLB Board