Umpires

Moderator: TyCobb

sharmaraps
Sophomore
And1: 147

Umpires 

Post#1 » by sharmaraps » Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:10 pm

Do you think the MLB should look to hire more middle aged/younger umpires. This season the MLB had to come out and tell teams to calm down with all the arguing. I've been watching a lot of games and it seems umpires have been making so many bad calls and are quick to pull the trigger on tossing them out. Two bad umpires that come to mind are Joe West and Angel Hernandez. West, 63 and Hernandez, 54 both have had their issues. They're known as bad umpires. Do you think having younger umpires in the league would be beneficial for the league?
Latrell
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,552

Re: Umpires 

Post#2 » by Latrell » Fri Jul 29, 2016 1:58 am

Vic Carapazza is the worst of them all and he's younger than a lot of players.
RavenMad31
Senior
And1: 252

Post#3 » by RavenMad31 » Mon Aug 1, 2016 10:43 pm

sharmaraps wrote:Do you think the MLB should look to hire more middle aged/younger umpires. This season the MLB had to come out and tell teams to calm down with all the arguing. I've been watching a lot of games and it seems umpires have been making so many bad calls and are quick to pull the trigger on tossing them out. Two bad umpires that come to mind are Joe West and Angel Hernandez. West, 63 and Hernandez, 54 both have had their issues. They're known as bad umpires. Do you think having younger umpires in the league would be beneficial for the league?

I am all for doing anything they can to remove the influence of umpires and the umpire's union from baseball. They are way too much a part of the game and "tradition" or "that's just how it's always been" is not a good enough excuse. The time that fella was robbed of a perfect game because they couldn't even go to a replay was the final straw for me. To his credit, the ump felt horrible and frankly, he'd have probably loved to have replay bail him out of that one.
ldnk
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,522

Post#4 » by ldnk » Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:04 am

I think what I struggle with is that umpires clearly pick and choose when they are going to have a short fuse. You can watch one game where certain managers get to come out and yell and stomp for a few minutes and get away with it. Other games a guy makes one or two statements and gets tossed early in a game.

I never understood the whole "you can't argue balls and strikes" argument. It would make sense to me if the umpires used a standard strikezone and were consistent with it, but they aren't. So you inherently have a system that is prone to bias and misinterpretation and that is the area of the game that you protect. I know that you don't want games to suddenly go 5 hours long because every pitch is turned into an argument but the offhanded comment by an upset player shouldn't result in an ejection. When a pitch is clearly off the plate and the umpire waits to see if the batter/pitcher tries to walk out of the box/mound and then calls the opposite call, that stuff shouldn't be part of the game.

Return to The General MLB Board