How I Would Fix the MLB Schedule Alignment

Moderator: TyCobb

HurricaneDij25
Junior
And1: 273

How I Would Fix the MLB Schedule Alignment 

Post#1 » by HurricaneDij25 » Fri Sep 7, 2018 6:51 am

Among the highlights here are less emphasis on the interleague schedule as well as eliminating the wild card game in one of the two leagues (the N.L.):

1) Shorten the regular season from 162 games to 156 games. This will create more schedule wiggle room.

2) With six fewer games, I would eliminate two of each team's interleague sets, which would once again make a given interleague matchup a special and unique experience for fans.

3) Move the Pittsburgh Pirates from the N.L. Central to the A.L. Central, allowing for an even number of teams in each league and in turn, less emphasis on the interleague schedule. Pittsburgh is the choice here for two reasons: Reason number one is that it could provide this consistently mediocre franchise with a new lease on life similar to the Astros with their move to the A.L. earlier in the decade. Second of all, the Pirates would provide more competition for what is currently the worst division in baseball.

4) Move the Colorado Rockies from the N.L. West to where the Pirates currently are in the N.L. Central.

5) With two less teams than in the American League, I would eliminate the N.L. Wild Card Game.

6) Now with no more wild card game, I would convert the best-of-five first round NLDS into a best-of-seven, therefore preventing the fluky playoff outcomes that had been problematic under the previous wild card format back in 2011.

7) Make the still-standing A.L. Wild Card Game into a doubleheader, with the road team needing to win both games in order to advance.

8) The winner of the aforementioned match just above^ will then be given two full days off to set their rotation before the following series.

Enjoy!
[youtube]
[/youtube]

jason bourne
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,602

Re: How I Would Fix the MLB Schedule Alignment 

Post#2 » by jason bourne » Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:52 pm

HurricaneDij25 wrote:Among the highlights here are less emphasis on the interleague schedule as well as eliminating the wild card game in one of the two leagues (the N.L.):

1) Shorten the regular season from 162 games to 156 games. This will create more schedule wiggle room.

2) With six fewer games, I would eliminate two of each team's interleague sets, which would once again make a given interleague matchup a special and unique experience for fans.

3) Move the Pittsburgh Pirates from the N.L. Central to the A.L. Central, allowing for an even number of teams in each league and in turn, less emphasis on the interleague schedule. Pittsburgh is the choice here for two reasons: Reason number one is that it could provide this consistently mediocre franchise with a new lease on life similar to the Astros with their move to the A.L. earlier in the decade. Second of all, the Pirates would provide more competition for what is currently the worst division in baseball.

4) Move the Colorado Rockies from the N.L. West to where the Pirates currently are in the N.L. Central.

5) With two less teams than in the American League, I would eliminate the N.L. Wild Card Game.

6) Now with no more wild card game, I would convert the best-of-five first round NLDS into a best-of-seven, therefore preventing the fluky playoff outcomes that had been problematic under the previous wild card format back in 2011.

7) Make the still-standing A.L. Wild Card Game into a doubleheader, with the road team needing to win both games in order to advance.

8) The winner of the aforementioned match just above^ will then be given two full days off to set their rotation before the following series.

Enjoy!
[youtube]
[/youtube]

I would've considered your changes, but you said to make the WC game into a doubleheader so I disregarded everything. The season is long to weed out the lesser teams, and don't want to make the post-season too long like the NBA. The AL and NL already have gone to three divisions. Give lesser teams a chance with one game to advance. Need to settle it all in October. Need to cut games down below three hours unless playoffs.
“The most contrarian thing of all is not to oppose the crowd but to think for yourself.” Peter Thiel

ImageImage
RavenMad31
Senior
And1: 252

Post#3 » by RavenMad31 » Mon Oct 1, 2018 12:08 pm

HurricaneDij25 wrote:Among the highlights here are less emphasis on the interleague schedule as well as eliminating the wild card game in one of the two leagues (the N.L.):

Enjoy!
[youtube]
[/youtube]

I would cut interleague play entirely except maybe every fourth year like the Olympics or something like that. I would move the Astros back the NL where they belong putting them in the Cental, move the Brewers to the AL Central and move the Twins to the AL West.
I don't know what to do about the wildcard round. The one game thing just seems cheap af after a 162 game season in a sport that is meant to be played in a series of games. You also can't have teams sitting around waiting for a week while other teams are playing a best of 3/5/7 to get to the divisional round. Do you just go to 8 teams? Maybe with a shorter regular season like you suggest, you could do a best of five first round without extending the season.
One last move is that MLB needs to give up on the Marlins. It's not working there. Take another stab at the Expos or put a team in Puerto Rico/Havana/Mexico. I feel like the US market is saturated and having a team or two in Latin America would lend a great energy to the game.
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,522

Post#4 » by Dr Positivity » Tue Oct 9, 2018 5:09 pm

Super draconian and the purists would lose their minds, but what do you guys think about 6 inning baseball?

- In the social media era it's harder to sell these 3 hour mammoths, 6 innings would be about the length of a soccer game including halftime

- Unlike shortening the season in games played, this doesn't really lose money for the owners. Does the price even come down for a 2 hour game instead of 3? MLB keeps its unique status of being played for 162 games and every day for 6 months.

- Right now the problem for the MLB is even for the people who can keep up with their team for 3 hours a day, asking them to do that AND watch Mike Trout on a team going nowhere later that night is just too much. Plus half the time he's playing at the same time as their team anyways. This is why it's a stronger local sport than national. Shorter games means they have more time to watch other teams and more desire to fill their need for baseball.

- Biggest concern is how it changes pitching. Starting pitchers go 3-4 innings, then relief takes over? Is this ok? Obviously some teams like the Rays and A's would be at the forefront of basically going all relief pitchers. But I think it's hard to do it for 6 innings every game. There likely still has to be some "starter". The rules could also be changed to have less pitchers on the roster, which makes it less likely the A's can go full reliever. Does the game become too low scoring because pitching is too good? The starters can now dial it up more than they're doing now, and some of the current starters would become dominant relief pitchers. Batters get to see pitchers less times. Still considering the most popular sport in the world soccer has regular 1-0 or 2-1 games, I'm not sure baseball being low scoring is a total deal breaker as every scoring opportunity after the first few innings could be do or die if the opponent can go into relief pitcher mode the rest of the way if they get the lead. Home runs become even more massive, you could win the game with one swing. Some of the current relief pitchers lose their jobs which doesn't make the player's association happy. If it's too extreme going to 7 definitely creates a division between the starter who plays the first 4 or 5 innings and the relief coming after.
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,370

Post#5 » by trwi7 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:55 am

Enjoy!
[youtube]
[/youtube]

When I have stupid ideas, I usually keep them to myself.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.

Return to The General MLB Board