111 win Dodgers lose in NLDS

Moderator: TyCobb

Was this loss for the 2022 Dodgers as disappointing as the 2007 Patriots and 2016 Warriors?

Yes
34%
No
66%

Total votes: 79

ThunderCeltic
Junior
And1: 358

Re: OT: 111 win Dodgers lose in NLDS 

Post#61 » by ThunderCeltic » Mon Oct 17, 2022 12:35 am

rand wrote:Dodgers didn't even reach their league's semi-finals. Warriors and Patriots both lost by an extremely close margin in the championships. Dodgers is worst.

Technically they were already in the "Semi Finals" as MLB expanded the playoffs again. The Wild Card is the first round, Divisional Round the Semi-Finals, and the NLCS/ALCS is the League Final (a.k.a. The Pennant).

I'm guess I'm old fashioned and prefer the old pre 1994 format where there were only 4 divisions and the division winners went straight to the LCS. It made the division/Pennant race that much more important.
RalphWiggum
RealGM
And1: 8,224

Post#62 » by RalphWiggum » Mon Oct 17, 2022 12:40 am

It's a best of 5 in baseball.

So no it's not as bad.
ThunderCeltic
Junior
And1: 358

Post#63 » by ThunderCeltic » Mon Oct 17, 2022 12:47 am

Both Pennants (LCS) were a best of five til 1984. In 1985 it became best of seven.
Ill News
General Manager
And1: 16,306

Post#64 » by Ill News » Mon Oct 17, 2022 1:16 am

Name a more iconic duo than the Los Angeles Dodgers and choking in the playoffs. I'll wait.

Most of the blame for the Dodgers' playoff failures really should be placed on Dave Roberts, their manager. His reliance on analytics leads him to consistently over-managing his lineup and pulling starters too early. They also could have been screwed over by the week bye due to this season's extended playoff format, which led to them being a victim of a really hot team in the Padres, who already beat the 100-win Mets in the wild-card series. The 100-win Braves fell to the red-hot Phillies as well.

As a Dodgers hater, I wish they'd keep Roberts though lol. He's the only one holding back their always vaunted lineups. It just won't be October baseball if the Dodgers don't choke to a lesser team.
jc23
RealGM
And1: 10,806

Post#65 » by jc23 » Mon Oct 17, 2022 2:09 am

You can say the Dodgers should have won more titles but at the same time they have been consistently good for a long time. My Cubs beat them way back in 2016 on their way to a WS and have dropped off a cliff while the Dodgers keep putting together winning seasons.
Be curious, Not judgmental
California Gold
Starter
And1: 2,684

Post#66 » by California Gold » Mon Oct 17, 2022 3:52 am

Everyone keeps bringing up the result of how it ended. I'm more talking about the expectation of being an all-time great team and how disappointing not winning the title was. I understand Baseball pretty well and know that upsets and the best team not winning aren't that uncommon. But I think people here are failing to realize how great the Dodgers were overall in the regular season. They were basically on the level of the 1998 Yankees or better. They were better than that 2001 Mariners 116 win team (in fact the Dodgers Pythagorean win total was 116). Their run differential is top 15 all-time (and half those teams in the top 15 were when there were just like 10 teams in baseball). You can't say they were flawless but they were pretty much bolstering an all-star lineup, a top 3 rotation, and a formidable pen.
HurricaneKid
General Manager
And1: 5,034

Post#67 » by HurricaneKid » Mon Oct 17, 2022 3:55 am

Roscoe Sheed wrote:
heezyo2o wrote:Best of 5 doesn't always lead to the best team winning. Bob Costas described it nice and simple before: their ace can pitch a great game and get a win, the bats can go cold in a game/2nd loss, 3rd game can go down to a bad bounce in a close game. Not being a homer, dodgers just lost, but they were still the "best team."

There's talk about the dodger payroll. These ridiculous 10 year contracts in baseball aren't cheap. Both the phillies and padres are top 5 in payroll. Mets were #1. Yankees always near the top. Yeah there's cleveland, but for the most part you need to spend money to win. Lots of teams spend over 200 million every season and get no where

For the best team of the season to win, it would be best to go back to AL best record vs NL best record, best of 9.

Way back in the day, that's what they would do.

However, MLB would never go for it because of lost playoff revenue.

When the '06 Cardinals won with the 13th best record in baseball, they should have reformed the set up in some way- but they never did and instead expanded how many teams get in.

What's the point of playing 162 games?
This is the exact problem with baseball. The better team doesn't win. A lot. And opening up the playoffs ensures the best team wins much less.

It was the Faustian bargain they made to keep more of their dwindling number of fans involved into the playoffs. And pushed me right out the door.

The Phillies should have missed the playoffs. If the Brewers had just taken care of the Marlins they wouldn't have even made the playoffs.

Sent from my SM-G986U using RealGM mobile app
fishnc wrote:If I had a gun with two bullets and I was in a room with Hitler, Bin Laden, and LeBron, I would shoot LeBron twice.
CobraCommander
RealGM
And1: 13,949

Post#68 » by CobraCommander » Mon Oct 17, 2022 4:29 am

chuck_wagon44 wrote:Where is the respect for the Houston Astros, America's team!

They keep winning no matter what star(s) they lose (i.e. Correa, Springer, Cole) and they get no credit.

They have been winning since 2017 and been to the world series 3-4 times now in a short period of time.

The trash can scandal hurt the America’s team narrative
Arco Thunder
Sophomore
And1: 253

Post#69 » by Arco Thunder » Mon Oct 17, 2022 5:23 am

Judge breaks a homerun record in the regular season and then puts up a bunch of 0-4's in the playoffs. That's baseball for you. It makes for an exciting playoffs since you really have no idea whats going to happen but yeah the world series winner probably isn't the best team in the league.
whatisacenter
RealGM
And1: 12,911

Post#70 » by whatisacenter » Mon Oct 17, 2022 5:43 am

ClipsFanAgain wrote:
azcatz11 wrote:Is it a fair statement that if the Clips win a championship this year the split will be 50/50 between laker and clipper fans?

No. But over 20 years probably. With continued winning, new arena, way more community involvement, less Jerry Springer antics than Lakers.

I seriously doubt the Clippers will ever sniff a 50% share of LA basketball fans regardless of how much winning they have in the next 20 years. LA is a Lakers and Dodgers town and then I would say that USC/UCLA are probably next. My daughter goes to college in SoCal and I don't think I have never seen anyone wearing Clipps gear.
Madvillain been as high as Kathmandu
And tilted to the side like that fat man's shoe
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Post#71 » by Kilroy » Mon Oct 17, 2022 6:37 am

ClipsFanAgain wrote:
dockingsched wrote:
ClipsFanAgain wrote:Go Padres!!! Sick of the Dodgers fans booing the Clippers players at games, so **** em all.

It’s not just dodgers fans my friend, they got booed at the LA Coliseum and SoFi at a Rams games too. What you’re sick of is “los Angeles fans” :lol:

Much more so at Dodgers games. Years of harassment of Clippers players, they got what was coming to them. But yea in general, LA fans can be lame. I've always been for an OC or SD move, although I realize a couple rings, couple decades of winning, their own arena and things will definitely change some in LA. I just don't have the patience to deal with Dodgers fans in the meantime and their antics.

"You got what you deserved Dodgers fans!" -- Clippers fans...

Add this to the list of obvious reasons why everyone in LA thinks the Clippers are a clown show...

"We're better than the Lakers now! Respect us!"/0 Rings is another...
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
OkcSinceSGA
RealGM
And1: 29,607

Post#72 » by OkcSinceSGA » Mon Oct 17, 2022 7:32 am

Kilroy wrote:
ClipsFanAgain wrote:
dockingsched wrote:
It’s not just dodgers fans my friend, they got booed at the LA Coliseum and SoFi at a Rams games too. What you’re sick of is “los Angeles fans” :lol:

Much more so at Dodgers games. Years of harassment of Clippers players, they got what was coming to them. But yea in general, LA fans can be lame. I've always been for an OC or SD move, although I realize a couple rings, couple decades of winning, their own arena and things will definitely change some in LA. I just don't have the patience to deal with Dodgers fans in the meantime and their antics.

"You got what you deserved Dodgers fans!" -- Clippers fans...

Add this to the list of obvious reasons why everyone in LA thinks the Clippers are a clown show...

"We're better than the Lakers now! Respect us!"/0 Rings is another...

First sentence yes. Last one, yes the Clippers have been Better for almost an entire decade. I also said it would take 20 years probably to take a bigger share of fans. Not sure why this is upsetting you. I’m not allowed to root for the Dodgers to fail?

Their fans act like complete punks fighting at games. They are basically the Raiders fans of baseball. Then the booing Clippers every time a player goes to watch a game, even when with their wives and kids. A fan base with poor class (at games, not saying posters here). It’s my own personal experiences with Dodgers fans living there for 30 years.
“This kid reminds me of a 6-6 Chris Paul. He wants to win everything.”

Olin Simplis- SGA’s trainer.
dhsilv2
RealGM
And1: 22,532

Post#73 » by dhsilv2 » Mon Oct 17, 2022 7:48 am

Lucky Clover wrote:Firstly, my condolences Dodgers fans.

Secondly - question I had for sports fans - Is this just as bad as the 73-9 Warriors and 18-0 Patriots losing in the postseason? I know it's not quite the same since the Dodgers didn't make it to the championship round but they had an all-time great roster, were the clear favorite to win it all, and Dave Roberts went as far as to guarantee a title back in March. This just seems like such an astronomical defeat and upset and it came at the hands of their division rival who they had beaten 16 times this year. One post season win to show for this payroll.

Weren't the mariners the highest winning taem before this, and they also lost before the world series? I just don't think regular season records mean that much in MLB.
tarantism
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,146

Post#74 » by tarantism » Mon Oct 17, 2022 8:05 am

Screw the Dodgers. Love to them lose.

Signed, a Giants fan.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Melo and amare should thrive in this offense. If Jeremy Tyler and cole Aldridge looked that good in summer league then us knick fans have a lot to be excited about. Make room for all the bandwagoners when we take off
meekrab
RealGM
And1: 8,929

Post#75 » by meekrab » Mon Oct 17, 2022 8:23 am

Baseball is a hilarious sport, you win 65% of your games and people talk about you as potentially an all time great team.

The Suns won 78% of their games last year and nobody really even cared.
chrismikayla
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,909

Post#76 » by chrismikayla » Mon Oct 17, 2022 11:35 am

As a Braves fan living in Atlanta, I can attest to the somewhat random nature of baseball and the “best” team on paper rarely winning. We were an 88 win team last year that peaked at the right time. We were underdogs in every series also. All it takes sometimes is a pitcher having a career game or a hitter going crazy a few games over a series. Max Fried, who shut down the Astros to clinch the World Series last year, was rocked in game one against the Phillies and chased after three innings. Eddie Rosario, who was the NLCS MVP against LA last year, has looked awful all year. All of our good hitters slumped at the same time. Also, looks at the Dodgers and Astros, overall the best teams over the past several years, and only one ring between them. In baseball just be happy your team made the playoffs and expect anything regardless of your playoff seed lol. I told other Braves fan I wouldn’t be shocked by either a deep run or a first round loss.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
[gfycat][/gfycat]
Gusto1903
Sixth Man
And1: 2,355

Post#77 » by Gusto1903 » Mon Oct 17, 2022 11:39 am

Padres doin it for Tatis <3
On the Alperen Sengün hypetrain since 2020
JayMKE
RealGM
And1: 14,587

Post#78 » by JayMKE » Mon Oct 17, 2022 12:28 pm

Didn't even realize the Dodgers won the WS a couple years back, wooof baseball is dead af
FREE GIANNIS
zshawn10
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,392

Post#79 » by zshawn10 » Mon Oct 17, 2022 2:21 pm

Karate Diop wrote:
chuck_wagon44 wrote:Where is the respect for the Houston Astros, America's team!

They keep winning no matter what star(s) they lose (i.e. Correa, Springer, Cole) and they get no credit.

They have been winning since 2017 and been to the world series 3-4 times now in a short period of time.

Can't tell if this is serious... It should be self explanatory why nobody puts RESPEK on a cheating organization.

People had no problem with the Red Sox firing and rehiring Cora, the mastermind of the scandal, or wanting to take the Astro players when they become FAs. That being said, I don't really cheer for them since their press conference afterwards was like "yea we did it but we got a ring so deal with it."
Homer38
RealGM
And1: 11,840

Post#80 » by Homer38 » Mon Oct 17, 2022 2:31 pm

zshawn10 wrote:
Karate Diop wrote:

Can't tell if this is serious... It should be self explanatory why nobody puts RESPEK on a cheating organization.

People had no problem with the Red Sox firing and rehiring Cora, the mastermind of the scandal, or wanting to take the Astro players when they become FAs. That being said, I don't really cheer for them since their press conference afterwards was like "yea we did it but we got a ring so deal with it."

The Astros scandal was not just because of 2-3 peoples...It was a complete team effort!

Return to The General MLB Board