World Series to start on a Wednesday

Moderator: TyCobb

SportsWorld
RealGM
And1: 133

World Series to start on a Wednesday 

Post#1 » by SportsWorld » Mon May 14, 2007 10:24 pm

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2869747
In an effort to boost sagging ratings for the World Series, Major League Baseball announce Monday that the 2007 Fall Classic will start on Wednesday instead of Saturday.

A Wednesday allows baseball to avoid playing on Friday, which is TV's second-least watched night after Saturday. If the Series goes to a Game 5, it also would go head-to-head with ESPN's Monday Night Football.

Game 1 will be scheduled for Wednesday Oct. 24. If the Series goes to a Game 7, it will be played on Nov. 1, the first time baseball has scheduled a World Series game in the month of November.
sideshowking24
Junior
And1: 0

Post#2 » by sideshowking24 » Tue May 15, 2007 3:02 am

you think they are trying to make a statement by going up against Monday Night Football? cause ratings have been up for baseball so far this season... but I dunno about playing into Nov either with all of negative talk about playing in cold weather earlier this season. I can see people pitching a fit about that
treyZz
Banned User

Post#3 » by treyZz » Tue May 15, 2007 3:07 am

MNF > World Series if my team isn't in it.
SportsWorld
RealGM
And1: 133

Post#4 » by SportsWorld » Tue May 15, 2007 3:12 am

treyZz wrote:MNF > World Series if my team isn't in it.
mizzoupacers
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12

Post#5 » by mizzoupacers » Tue May 15, 2007 8:39 pm

At some point MLB needs to stop sacrificing the integrity of the game for a few dollars more.

I wish they would be more concerned with putting out a good product than with their television time slot. I'm not sure how the World Series can compete with the Super Bowl or the NBA finals if you are playing night games in November in some northern city where everyone on the field is turning blue from cold by the second inning.
-MetA4-
Head Coach
And1: 465

Post#6 » by -MetA4- » Wed May 16, 2007 1:51 am

Monday Night Football is garbage 90% of the time because the NFL always makes the stupidest choices for matchups. They make the schedules before the season starts and try to pin a bunch of hyped/"popular" teams against each other in Monday Night matchups, the result is a terrible game very often when the pre-season hyped teams end up being garbage or flat out boring. The NFL needs to stop thinking so much and just make historically good matchups the MNF game, no-one wants to watch a crap game like Dallas vs. Atlanta which is what we're continually thrown.
Basketball Jesus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7

Post#7 » by Basketball Jesus » Wed May 16, 2007 7:15 pm

-MetA4- wrote:
Monday Night Football is garbage 90% of the time because the NFL always makes the stupidest choices for matchups. They make the schedules before the season starts and try to pin a bunch of hyped/"popular" teams against each other in Monday Night matchups, the result is a terrible game very often when the pre-season hyped teams end up being garbage or flat out boring. The NFL needs to stop thinking so much and just make historically good matchups the MNF game, no-one wants to watch a crap game like Dallas vs. Atlanta which is what we're continually thrown.

The NFL is now allowed to switch out MNF football teams late in the season.
Manocad wrote:The universe is the age it is. We can all agree it's 13 billion years old, and nothing changes. We can all agree it's 6000 years old, and nothing changes. We can all disagree on how old it is, and nothing changes. Some people really need a hobby.
lpsevier
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#8 » by lpsevier » Wed May 16, 2007 7:49 pm

-MetA4- wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

The NFL needs to stop thinking so much and just make historically good matchups the MNF game, no-one wants to watch a crap game like Dallas vs. Atlanta which is what we're continually thrown.

Apparently you don't remember the great Falcons / Cowboys games of the 60's.
A-Town Connection
Bench Warmer

Post#9 » by A-Town Connection » Thu May 17, 2007 1:29 pm

^^^^Bump

But the Schedule for Monday night football is terrible this year. What were the qualifications..a losing record? I assume the NFL wants to showcase some of the other teams but match ups like .....

Arizona at San Francisco
Dallas at Buffalo
Miami at Pittsburgh
San Francisco at Seattle

Gah, there are many more terrible matchups. Sure, there are some fun players to watch, but the over-all games will be terrible. Give me Sunday night football. Lots of better match ups

Return to The General MLB Board