BS007
Banned User
And1: 0

Should this be a rule? 

Post#1 » by BS007 » Mon May 28, 2007 3:49 am

http://search.japantimes.co.jp/print/sb20070527wg.html

MLB should eliminate 'rookie' label for Japanese veterans
By WAYNE GRACZYK

Last week an Associated Press photo appeared in these pages with a caption that began, "Boston Red Sox rookie hurler Daisuke Matsuzaka . . . "

An AP story in the sports briefs mentioned New York Yankees "rookie pitcher Kei Igawa" and his progress in working his way back to top form.

Previously, Boston reliever Hideki Okajima was named the American League "rookie" Pitcher of the Month for April.

Then a Kyodo News item reported, "Red Sox rookie right-hander Daisuke Matsuzaka" was named the American League Player of the Week for the period of May 14-20.

I have said it before, and I will say it again. These guys are not rookies, and it really rubs me the wrong way whenever I see this description.

My Webster's Dictionary has two definitions for the word "rookie." The first is "an inexperienced recruit in the army."

The second meaning is "any novice."

These guys are not inexperienced and they are not novices, and the same goes for Ichiro Suzuki, Hideki Matsui, Tadahito Iguchi, Kenji Johjima, So Taguchi, Akinori Iwamura, Akinori Otsuka, Takashi Saito and just about all the Japanese players who have played in the major leagues since Hideo Nomo joined the Los Angeles Dodgers in 1995.

They are seasoned professionals who were in their late 20s or early-to-mid-30s when they debuted in the big leagues.

Yes, Matsuzaka is still only 26, but he's got eight years of experience under his belt in a high-level system.

Igawa will soon be 28, and he is a nine-year veteran of Japanese baseball.

Okajima is 31 and has played professionally in Japan's Central and Pacific Leagues for 13 years. Let me say it again: they are not rookies.

I had a discussion about this very topic with current New York Mets general manager Omar Minaya, in December of 2001, when he came to Tokyo in his then-capacity as the team's assistant GM, to announce the signing of free-agent pitcher Satoru Komiyama, who was then 35 years old and a 12-year veteran.

Ichiro had just been named the American League MVP and Rookie of the Year, and I asked Minaya how such a player, at the age of 27 and who had played seven full seasons (and won seven batting titles) in Japan's major leagues could be even remotely considered a rookie.

Minaya could not deny Ichiro's talent and maturity, but asked what can be done, since the rules clearly classify any first-year MLB player as a "rookie," regardless of age, experience or from where he came.

I believe Major League Baseball should consider giving Japanese baseball some sort of special status that would recognize it as a "major" league and classify the players with the same rules that define what is a rookie in the American League or National League.

Foreign players in Japan are not eligible for the "Shin-jin Senshu" award, the local version of the Rookie of the Year, and a guy who plays a certain number of games or seasons for the Seibu Lions or Hanshin Tigers should be recognized as if he had played that long for the Red Sox, Yankees or any other MLB club.

About 10 years ago, when there were three North American Triple-A leagues
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,875

Post#2 » by Bleeding Green » Mon May 28, 2007 3:52 am

No.

A, who cares? It's a silly award.

B, why do we need to bring even more subjectivity into it? What about a guy like Alfonso Soriano who played in Japan and then came to the US? He shouldn't be eligible for the ROY award?

What if a guy plays 6 years in AAA and then comes to the majors. Is this really much different from playing in Japan and then coming to the majors? No, not really.

C, why just Japanese players? What about guys like El Duque?

At best, you should have an age rule. But what age do you set it at? 26, 27, 28, 29? Daisuke is 26 this year; he's not some guy in his late-30s like Takashi Saito. Jason Bay won the award at 26.
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.
sideshowking24
Junior

Post#3 » by sideshowking24 » Mon May 28, 2007 4:43 am

Bleeding Green wrote:What if a guy plays 6 years in AAA and then comes to the majors. Is this really much different from playing in Japan and then coming to the majors? No, not really.

well yes, it is really. I don't think you can equate the Minor Leagues with Japanese League Baseball. Baseball in Japan is pretty legit and should be recognized as so. the reason why players are still in the Minors here are because they are still seen as somwhat of a novice and aren't ready to play at the big league level. Japan even has a minor league system of its own. but anyways, 6 years in the minor leagues doesn not equal 6 years in Japan. Many pro scouts also consider Japanese baseball on a higher level than AAA. It may not be on the same level as the majors but it definitely is not on the same level as the minors...
mup
Veteran
And1: 556

Post#4 » by mup » Tue May 29, 2007 8:48 pm

Would it make everybody feel better if they just called it the "First Year Player Award?" Or how about the "Best Season By a Player Who Had Never Previously Played in the American or National Leagues Award?" It's an award for the best newcomer, regardless of age or previous experience. How hard is that to understand?

Ichiro was a rookie in 2001 and Matsusaka is a rookie in 2007.
Basketball Jesus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7

Post#5 » by Basketball Jesus » Wed May 30, 2007 12:47 am

Or you could just call it "Rookie of the Year" since Major League Baseball already has a set of criteria that defines what a "rookie" is.
Manocad wrote:The universe is the age it is. We can all agree it's 13 billion years old, and nothing changes. We can all agree it's 6000 years old, and nothing changes. We can all disagree on how old it is, and nothing changes. Some people really need a hobby.
34Celtic
Analyst

Post#6 » by 34Celtic » Wed May 30, 2007 12:53 am

Does anyone really care?
HCYanks wrote:Thanks for reminding me Clay Buchholz is a couple of blocks away from me, Fox. Now I have to go hide my laptop.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,007

Post#7 » by FNQ » Wed May 30, 2007 1:37 am

I'm sure the rookies get a nice little bonus check for being named that, so yes, I'd think so...

I don't think any international players should be allowed to get that award, especially if they played professionally in another country... but I also don't care that much. Would be nice though.
Icness
NFL Analyst
And1: 129

Post#8 » by Icness » Wed May 30, 2007 4:25 am

Basketball Jesus wrote:Or you could just call it "Rookie of the Year" since Major League Baseball already has a set of criteria that defines what a "rookie" is.

Doesn't that rule lay out how much Japanese experience DQ's a player coming from there? I can't recall the specifics but IIRC MLB addressed this a couple of years ago.

Return to The General MLB Board