Bonds vs Aaron

Moderator: TyCobb

craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 483

Bonds vs Aaron 

Post#1 » by craig01 » Sun Jun 10, 2007 1:56 pm

Bonds will soon hold the HR record barring injury.

The 1st question is "is Bonds recognized for it?"

The 2nd question "how many would Aaron have hit had he played through 2 expansions too close together, 10 hitters parks built, and diluted pitching staffs for nearly 15 years?

Records and statistics compiled over different eras had different paths in how they were competitively accumulated.

Nobody disputed Ruth's homeruns when he played during the "live ball era", nor Hack Wilson's 190+ rbi's.

IMO, Bond's HR title will be disputed for a generation because of the above reasons along with the "roid factor. Personally, to me, it will be the record but won't have the same meaning as when Aaron hit #715.

There is not much fanfare given to Bonds pursuit at the present time, but I'm sure that even baseball's upper management won't blow this opportunity to embrace the moment. Or will they?
Basketball is driven by three principles:

1) Movement 2) Application of fundamentals 3) Predictability
randomhero423
Head Coach
And1: 1

Post#2 » by randomhero423 » Sun Jun 10, 2007 4:39 pm

i don't know if it's just me. but i really just don't care about steroids. the 90's was the 'roids era, they didn't test for it or anything. so how can you blame the players? the blame should be soley on bud selig. 'roids now is bad since there is a much more stiff test policy.

to you're question. aaron would have probably hit around 785. you also have to remeber he played less games than bonds in seasons.

bonds better be recoginized...
My High School Basketball Articles:
www.nyhoops.com

My Sports Blog
myrandomsportsblog.blogspot.com
craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#3 » by craig01 » Sun Jun 10, 2007 4:55 pm

Not to mention that Aaron played in most of what were 10 years of pitching dominance through the 60's.

I don't care about the steroids either. Baseball did nothing to prevent it or stop it. I just look at this era similarly to that of the live ball era, when many batting statistics were inflated.

I stopped blaming Bonds and singling him out a while back. There were many dozens of players that did as much or more than Bonds did. McGuire, Sosa, and Bonds compiled great statistics, but their numbers aren't sacred to me...they are just numbers.

It's a tainted decade, just like the live ball decade was too.

bigboy1234
Assistant Coach
And1: 7

Post#4 » by bigboy1234 » Sun Jun 10, 2007 5:12 pm

For what it's worth.

Aaron's translated numbers equals 971 HRs

Bonds' translated numbers equals 928 HRs.

Does that mean Aaron is the better player? Hell no, because Bonds was/is a lot more than just a HR hitter. Aaron also has played in 384 more games than Bonds to this date.

Quite frankly I could careless about steriods because a good percentage of players used them, and they weren't even against baseball rules or testing for it, Selig's fault.
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,875

Post#5 » by Bleeding Green » Mon Jun 11, 2007 5:12 am

I don't have much to say except, why do people consistently claim that the overall talent in baseball today is more diluted than in previous years? This is so obviously not the case. The game gets harder every year with new talent pools always opening, with better strength and conditioning techniques, with better analysis. Everything about baseball is better than 30 years ago. And it will continue to get better for eternity.
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.
FaTaL
Veteran
And1: 11

Post#6 » by FaTaL » Mon Jun 11, 2007 6:11 am

i dont think people even recognized aaron as the hr king
Basketball Jesus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7

Post#7 » by Basketball Jesus » Mon Jun 11, 2007 12:50 pm

Bleeding Green wrote:And it will continue to get better for eternity.

That's highly debatable.
Manocad wrote:The universe is the age it is. We can all agree it's 13 billion years old, and nothing changes. We can all agree it's 6000 years old, and nothing changes. We can all disagree on how old it is, and nothing changes. Some people really need a hobby.
34Celtic
Analyst
And1: 0

Post#8 » by 34Celtic » Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:20 pm

randomhero423 wrote:i don't know if it's just me. but i really just don't care about steroids. the 90's was the 'roids era, they didn't test for it or anything. so how can you blame the players? the blame should be soley on bud selig. 'roids now is bad since there is a much more stiff test policy.

to you're question. aaron would have probably hit around 785. you also have to remeber he played less games than bonds in seasons.

bonds better be recoginized...

Well said. It should also be noted that San Francisco's new stadium (changed the name so much I dont know what to call it anymore) has had the fewest HR's hit in it since it was built. It's amazing to see that Bonds can hit home runs with ease through that wind blowing off the water.
sunshinekids99
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 228

Post#9 » by sunshinekids99 » Tue Jun 12, 2007 2:50 am

FaTaL wrote:i dont think people even recognized aaron as the hr king

Umm who? I've never heard anybody say he wasn't the guy. So I'm not sure where you information is coming from.
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,875

Post#10 » by Bleeding Green » Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:09 am

Basketball Jesus wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

That's highly debatable.

Well, whatever. It will continue to get better until all areas of the globe have been scouted properly and all that other crap.
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,312

Post#11 » by HMFFL » Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:16 pm

FaTaL wrote:i dont think people even recognized aaron as the hr king

What a slap in the face to Henry "Hammerin" Aaron. :roll:
craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Re: Bonds vs Aaron 

Post#12 » by craig01 » Tue Jun 12, 2007 6:52 pm

craig01 wrote:
There is not much fanfare given to Bonds pursuit at the present time, but I'm sure that even baseball's upper management won't blow this opportunity to embrace the moment. Or will they?

Dan Patrick said again today, that Selig and baseball are mum right now because they think an indictment may coming for Bonds.

Personally, I've had enough of who did what, and who said what.

Play ball...damnit.

arrpy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5

Post#13 » by arrpy » Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:22 pm

Hank Aaron will always be better...no matter home run record or not...
34Celtic
Analyst

Post#14 » by 34Celtic » Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:00 am

arrpy wrote:Hank Aaron will always be better...no matter home run record or not...

........NOT
HCYanks wrote:Thanks for reminding me Clay Buchholz is a couple of blocks away from me, Fox. Now I have to go hide my laptop.
BS007
Banned User

Post#15 » by BS007 » Tue Jun 19, 2007 1:54 pm

Pre-steriods, Bonds was a great all around player. I mean a 5 tool guy, he is the only guy with 500 Homers and 500 steals, he had one 8 gold gloves, he really was the defintion of an all-around player. Ever since he got on the juice, he's become big and slow, only a power hitter. He can no longer run or field because of all the stress on his knees from all the body mass he put on. Now, w/o Roids, Bonds would have been a 500 HR guy, maybe 550. He wouldn't have been the all time HR champ, but he could have been better than Hank Aaron. Bonds could have went down in comparsion to the best ever Willy Mays, instead he took steriods and everyone hates him and no one wants to see him break the all time record.

Return to The General MLB Board