Moderator: bwgood77

Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,228

Re: Dak: 4 years, $160m 

Post#121 » by Mr B » Wed Dec 27, 2023 7:55 pm

Micah Prescott wrote:
Mr B wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:Dak is definitely having a good year. But the Cowboys also might have the best roster they've had with Dak so far. You have to consider that when Dak along with guys like Parsons & Lamb, etc. get paid, that won't necessarily be the case. Because you'll have less money to work with. You can't keep everyone around in that scenario. It's just common sense.

Yeah, it would be great if they kept drafting game changers like Parsons. But that's kind of longshot. You need to be bad enough to pick that high in the first place.

I’m not one of these believers that a team can just “turn it on in the playoffs”. The Cowboys have 0 wins on the road against winning teams. You’re telling me they are all of a sudden going to become road warriors and win 3 road games in the playoffs against teams that are better than anyone they’ve beaten this year?

Its happened before in the NFL. We've only played 3 teams with winning records on the road.

This isn't the NBA where we get a 7 game series. In just one game anything can happen

And how did those 3 road games turn out?
Mr B
RealGM

Post#122 » by Mr B » Wed Dec 27, 2023 7:58 pm

Micah Prescott wrote:IMO the undefeated Moss Patriots were the strongest NFL team ever.

They lost in the SB because "Any Given Sunday"

If they had a 7 game series with Giants they win for sure.

So yes, I think if we go to the playoffs enough, eventually something good will happen. Law of averages

They lost because regardless of what people think about Eli he an extremely clutch QB that elevated his game in the playoffs. We have NEVER seen Dak elevate his game in the playoffs. We have never seen Dak be clutch in the playoffs. Huge difference between that Giants team and this Cowboys team.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#123 » by Mr B » Wed Dec 27, 2023 7:59 pm

Micah Prescott wrote:IMO
So yes, I think if we go to the playoffs enough, eventually something good will happen. Law of averages

Law of averages? I mean it’s only been 28 years, maybe sometime within the next 28 years this blind squirrel will find a nut.
Micah Prescott
Analyst
And1: 1,241

Post#124 » by Micah Prescott » Wed Dec 27, 2023 8:00 pm

Mr B wrote:
Micah Prescott wrote:
Mr B wrote:I’m not one of these believers that a team can just “turn it on in the playoffs”. The Cowboys have 0 wins on the road against winning teams. You’re telling me they are all of a sudden going to become road warriors and win 3 road games in the playoffs against teams that are better than anyone they’ve beaten this year?

Its happened before in the NFL. We've only played 3 teams with winning records on the road.

This isn't the NBA where we get a 7 game series. In just one game anything can happen

And how did those 3 road games turn out?

The only one that matters is SF. If we see the Bills and Phins again it won't be at their home.

SF....yes, We need something magical.

We need Brock to throw 5 INTs again. But hey, that is possible!

It's not possible though is we are 6-10 out of the playoffs searching for our QB
Micah Prescott
Analyst

Post#125 » by Micah Prescott » Wed Dec 27, 2023 8:02 pm

Mr B wrote:

Law of averages? I mean it’s only been 28 years, maybe sometime within the next 28 years this blind squirrel will find a nut.

Oh now you're saying the entire franchise is doomed.

But yes, averaged out every team would win a ring just once every 32 years.
El Turco
GOTB Fantasy Basketball Ultimate 2x Champion
And1: 20,592

Post#126 » by El Turco » Wed Dec 27, 2023 8:08 pm

Wait team around gets better even though money will get less? Pessimistic about finding quarterback 20s or later yet optimistic about finding players in 20s that will turn a weakened 5th seed into a champion?

Hoops people jump thru :)
TheLowlySquire wrote:Wow, Arda! Huge!

Howard Mass wrote:Arda is not a terrorist. Arda is a good person.
El Turco

Post#127 » by El Turco » Wed Dec 27, 2023 8:12 pm

Mr B wrote:

:D

Micah Prescott
Analyst

Post#128 » by Micah Prescott » Wed Dec 27, 2023 8:14 pm

Daks cap share may not even increase from his contract in the thread title.

Salary cap goes up, everyone's number gets bigger, but the percentages may remain the same.
Micah Prescott
Analyst

Post#129 » by Micah Prescott » Wed Dec 27, 2023 8:18 pm

Lamar Jackson just got the biggest contract in NFL history. How do the Ravens look El Turco?
El Turco

Post#130 » by El Turco » Wed Dec 27, 2023 8:24 pm

Lamar's cap hit this season is not even the biggest in his own team, that would be Ronnie Stanley with 23.6mil. You know this information is public, you can avoid the embarrassment.

And they look like a divisional round exit team just like every year.

Micah Prescott
Analyst

Post#131 » by Micah Prescott » Wed Dec 27, 2023 8:31 pm

El Turco wrote:Lamar's cap hit this season is not even the biggest in his own team, that would be Ronnie Stanley with 23.6mil. You know this information is public, you can avoid the embarrassment.

Daks would be the exact same. Heavily back loaded also to make room for CeeDee and Parsons
El Turco

Post#132 » by El Turco » Wed Dec 27, 2023 8:37 pm

Micah Prescott wrote:
El Turco wrote:Lamar's cap hit this season is not even the biggest in his own team, that would be Ronnie Stanley with 23.6mil. You know this information is public, you can avoid the embarrassment.

Daks would be the exact same. Heavily back loaded also to make room for CeeDee and Parsons

Ok so you keep the status quo of a 5th seed NFC team for a year or two, how do you improve your team out of 5th seed? I heard you also need linebackers and stuff

then what happens when we arrive to the back of the back loaded contract? Dak just throws to practice squad? :lol:

Micah Prescott
Analyst

Post#133 » by Micah Prescott » Wed Dec 27, 2023 8:42 pm

El Turco wrote:
Micah Prescott wrote:

Ok so you keep the status quo of a 5th seed NFC team for a year or two, how do you improve your team out of 5th seed? I heard you also need linebackers and stuff

then what happens when we arrive to the back of the back loaded contract? Dak just throws to practice squad? :lol:

He either signs a new contract and restructures, or we take the hit and cut him. By then the new norm for QBs will be $100m/year. Basically the same thing that's happening right now.
El Turco

Post#134 » by El Turco » Wed Dec 27, 2023 8:53 pm

Except right now you are paying rookie salaries to much of your best players and still dont have a way to improve your team immediately.

"Restructure" "take the hit" these all mean losing ability to improve your team and eventually on lose value off your team. Dallas is not a type of team that can afford to stay stagnant or lose blood if they want to move forward.

I hope you are not using this "I'll just pay it later" approach in your personal finance, leads to bankruptcy pretty much every time

Mr B
RealGM

Post#135 » by Mr B » Wed Dec 27, 2023 9:03 pm

Micah Prescott wrote:
Mr B wrote:

Ultimately we all know this franchise is doomed as long as Jerry is still in charge. The curse lives on.
Micah Prescott
Analyst

Post#136 » by Micah Prescott » Wed Dec 27, 2023 9:04 pm

El Turco wrote:Except right now you are paying rookie salaries to much of your best players and still dont have a way to improve your team immediately.

"Restructure" "take the hit" these all mean losing ability to improve your team and eventually on lose value off your team. Dallas is not a type of team that can afford to stay stagnant or lose blood if they want to move forward.

I hope you are not using this "I'll just pay it later" approach in your personal finance, leads to bankruptcy pretty much every time

My personal finances are A+ but for most Americans their biggest investment (house) is an "I'll pay it later" situation and most businesses start out of debt.

Personal finances are not comparable though because real life has no salary cap.
Micah Prescott
Analyst

Post#137 » by Micah Prescott » Wed Dec 27, 2023 9:08 pm

Mr B wrote:
Micah Prescott wrote:
Mr B wrote:

Ultimately we all know this franchise is doomed as long as Jerry is still in charge. The curse lives on.

Okay well under this line of thinking it doesn't matter who the QB is.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#138 » by Mr B » Wed Dec 27, 2023 9:25 pm

Micah Prescott wrote:
Mr B wrote:
Micah Prescott wrote:

Okay well under this line of thinking it doesn't matter who the QB is.

It really doesn’t matter. As long as Jerry is still running the show it doesn’t matter who the QB or coach are.
El Turco

Post#139 » by El Turco » Wed Dec 27, 2023 9:30 pm

Micah Prescott wrote:
El Turco wrote:Except right now you are paying rookie salaries to much of your best players and still dont have a way to improve your team immediately.

My personal finances are A+ but for most Americans their biggest investment (house) is an "I'll pay it later" situation and most businesses start out of debt.

Personal finances are not comparable though because real life has no salary cap.

House has more or less same monthly payments, it is not back loaded, in fact you want to pay any debt early rather than "back load" it to pay less interest.

Same thing in football, the more backload it the less flexibility you have. Deals generally become backloaded thru more guarantees, guarantees are the interest of football.

Micah Prescott
Analyst

Post#140 » by Micah Prescott » Wed Dec 27, 2023 9:33 pm

El Turco wrote:
Micah Prescott wrote:

House has more or less same monthly payments, it is not back loaded, in fact you want to pay any debt early rather than "back load" it to pay less interest.

Same thing in football, the more backload it the less flexibility you have. Deals generally become backloaded thru more guarantees, guarantees are the interest of football.

Lol, it's not comparable because there is no building interest in the NFL, and it's better to back load in the NFL because in the future you can assume the cap will be higher allowing for more room

Return to The General NFL Board