Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,358

Re: Super Bowl LVIII Thread 

Post#581 » by Mr B » Mon Feb 12, 2024 6:08 pm

azcatz11 wrote:
Mr B wrote:
El Turco wrote:
When you've had to watch Jason Garrett and Mike McCarthy coached teams for almost the last 15 years, you become a good judge of head coaches :)

It certainly helps in recognizing coaches that can’t get it done.

Do you legitimately think the only coach who wins the SB is the only good coach in the league? I’m hearing Shannahan get bashed but 30 other teams would trade their HC for him…

Not much of a reader are you?
wembambamya
Junior
And1: 114

Post#582 » by wembambamya » Mon Feb 12, 2024 6:09 pm

Mr B wrote:
wembambamya wrote:
El Turco wrote:
Dont you worry, he still has the hotel in Mayfair :lol:

lmao I dont think anyone plays long enough to get the hotel in Mayfair lol

I got Chiefs winning 20-17 in close one.

I guess Wemby forgot he jumped on the Chiefs bandwagon too. Lol!

It was a prediction lol, I am not claiming to be a Chiefs fan because I think 50 years ago my team's owner bumped uglies with a secretary from Kansas city or whatever yall back story was lmao

Or maybe we are all big family of Chiefs fans. Ironically I dont think there is an actual Chiefs fan in this website ahahaha
hermes
RealGM
And1: 24,924

Post#583 » by hermes » Mon Feb 12, 2024 6:11 pm

in our realgm group playoff bracket picking, no one picked the chiefs to win it all

only 11 people were in the group though
azcatz11
RealGM
And1: 29,079

Post#584 » by azcatz11 » Mon Feb 12, 2024 6:11 pm

Mr B wrote:
azcatz11 wrote:
Mr B wrote:It certainly helps in recognizing coaches that can’t get it done.

Do you legitimately think the only coach who wins the SB is the only good coach in the league? I’m hearing Shannahan get bashed but 30 other teams would trade their HC for him…

Do you think Kyle Shannahan is a good HC?
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics
And1: 14,833

Post#585 » by Cactus Jack » Mon Feb 12, 2024 6:14 pm

Read on Twitter

Looks like lime green to me.
Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over
QB_Eagles
Bench Warmer
And1: 409

Post#586 » by QB_Eagles » Mon Feb 12, 2024 6:17 pm

El Turco wrote:I am not looking for a participation trophy, because I am also a Chiefs fan now. I think 50 years ago my grandfather flew over Kansas City something something so I am emotionally attached to that city and team.

SK21209
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,121

Post#587 » by SK21209 » Mon Feb 12, 2024 6:47 pm

Kyle is a great head coach, the idea that he's the culprit for these losses in big games is asinine. He "went away from the run" in the 3rd quarter because the Chiefs were gambling to stop the run on early downs. Once we hit a few intermediate passes they backed off that approach and we were able to gain chunks in the run game again in the 4th quarter.

The actual problem for Kyle (and the Niners) is that they've run into two of the three greatest QBs of all time (I think Mahomes is probably a more talented QB than Montana, but I still have them in same tier for now) in these Super Bowls. Even if you're stacked at the skill positions, have a great scheme and a have a good defense, its still tough to beat these teams with transcendent QBs when you don't have one too. Pacheco fumbles in the red zone, no problem Mahomes can just be perfect for all of the 4th quarter and overtime and bail you out. If CMC fumbles on your (great) opening drive, or McCloud muffs a punt in the late 3rd quarter after a huge stop, its so hard to make up for those mistakes when you don't have the superhuman QB.
zman1
Pro Prospect
And1: 128

Post#588 » by zman1 » Mon Feb 12, 2024 7:06 pm

SK21209 wrote:Kyle is a great head coach, the idea that he's the culprit for these losses in big games is asinine. He "went away from the run" in the 3rd quarter because the Chiefs were gambling to stop the run on early downs. Once we hit a few intermediate passes they backed off that approach and we were able to gain chunks in the run game again in the 4th quarter.

The actual problem for Kyle (and the Niners) is that they've run into two of the three greatest QBs of all time (I think Mahomes is probably a more talented QB than Montana, but I still have them in same tier for now) in these Super Bowls. Even if you're stacked at the skill positions, have a great scheme and a have a good defense, its still tough to beat these teams with transcendent QBs when you don't have one too. Pacheco fumbles in the red zone, no problem Mahomes can just be perfect for all of the 4th quarter and overtime and bail you out. If CMC fumbles on your (great) opening drive, or McCloud muffs a punt in the late 3rd quarter after a huge stop, its so hard to make up for those mistakes when you don't have the superhuman QB.
One correction: McCloud didn't muff the punt, it hit off another Niners ankle and he was trying to grab the live ball. That is a very stupid rule for punts and should be changed.

Sent from my SM-X610 using Tapatalk
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 58,395

Post#589 » by bwgood77 » Mon Feb 12, 2024 7:33 pm

I haven't read some of the last pages since last night, but I don't think you can blame SF or coaches for much. The simple thing is, no matter what you do, in a big game, you need some luck to beat Mahomes.

That PAT was the worst thing. But Mahomes almost ALWAYS finds a way to win in the big games. They are impossible to stop. The Niners played a pretty solid game.

I may have deferred in OT, but I wasn't sure what the best strategy was. Bit at least is that circumstance Mahomes doesn't know exactly what he needs to do to win but if you let him go first and he gets a td, you gameplan your drive for a td, 4 down territory the whole way, etc.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#590 » by Mr B » Mon Feb 12, 2024 7:39 pm

azcatz11 wrote:
Mr B wrote:
azcatz11 wrote:

Again, go back and read what I posted. Your answer is there.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#591 » by Mr B » Mon Feb 12, 2024 7:42 pm

SK21209 wrote:Kyle is a great head coach, the idea that he's the culprit for these losses in big games is asinine. He "went away from the run" in the 3rd quarter because the Chiefs were gambling to stop the run on early downs. Once we hit a few intermediate passes they backed off that approach and we were able to gain chunks in the run game again in the 4th quarter.

Great HC’s win titles.

Maybe it’s the younger generation but you guys want to call everyone great even if they’ve never won anything. Being good does not automatically mean you’re great. You still have to earn that label of being great.
therealbig3
RealGM
And1: 15,529

Post#592 » by therealbig3 » Mon Feb 12, 2024 7:43 pm

Mr B wrote:
therealbig3 wrote:
Mr B wrote:The NFL is showing that you don’t have to draft a guy high in round 1 to find a good QB. You can build a great team and have a good system and just draft a guy that fits into that system and allow him to drive the bus. As long as he can be smart enough to not be the reason you lose then you have a chance. That’s what the Niners did with Purdy, the Eagles with Hurts, Dallas with Dak. Also obviously the Patriots did it. The problem is you also have to have a great HC which unfortunately the Niners, Eagles, and Cowboys do not have.

And nobody is going to acknowledge that he throws Dak’s name in again, into a conversation that doesn’t have anything to do with him?

Hurts and Purdy actually won multiple playoff games and got their teams to SBs, and actually had late game leads in said SBs and almost led their teams to wins. And actually came back from deficits late in the game in said SBs by leading their teams on impressive late game drives. They’re clearly good enough to win it, the ball just didn’t bounce their way.

I don’t know how anyone can still say that Dak is good enough to win it. I defended him earlier, but the way they got destroyed by GB, it pretty much eliminates Dak from any conversation that has to do with “guys that can win in the right situation”.

The thing with the concept of just finding the right guy who isn’t necessarily elite, but the rest of the team is great…that guy still needs to be able to step up and make plays in the big moments. Brady did that early in his career with the Patriots, Hurts has done it, Purdy has done it…when has Dak done it?

Winning multiple playoff games mean jack if you don’t win it all. The goal is to win the SB. No one gets participation banners. Last I checked Hurts and Purdy have the same number of rings that Dak has… 0.

Meh, I guess Trent Dilfer is better than all of these guys.

Hurts and Purdy had their teams in position to win a SB, and both of them lost on last second drives. That means they were good enough.

Please tell me how Dak proved he was ever good enough.
Mr B
RealGM

Super Bowl LVIII Thread 

Post#593 » by Mr B » Mon Feb 12, 2024 7:47 pm

therealbig3 wrote:
Mr B wrote:
therealbig3 wrote:
And nobody is going to acknowledge that he throws Dak’s name in again, into a conversation that doesn’t have anything to do with him?

Hurts and Purdy actually won multiple playoff games and got their teams to SBs, and actually had late game leads in said SBs and almost led their teams to wins. And actually came back from deficits late in the game in said SBs by leading their teams on impressive late game drives. They’re clearly good enough to win it, the ball just didn’t bounce their way.

I don’t know how anyone can still say that Dak is good enough to win it. I defended him earlier, but the way they got destroyed by GB, it pretty much eliminates Dak from any conversation that has to do with “guys that can win in the right situation”.

The thing with the concept of just finding the right guy who isn’t necessarily elite, but the rest of the team is great…that guy still needs to be able to step up and make plays in the big moments. Brady did that early in his career with the Patriots, Hurts has done it, Purdy has done it…when has Dak done it?

Winning multiple playoff games mean jack if you don’t win it all. The goal is to win the SB. No one gets participation banners. Last I checked Hurts and Purdy have the same number of rings that Dak has… 0.

Meh, I guess Trent Dilfer is better than all of these guys.

Hurts and Purdy had their teams in position to win a SB, and both of them lost on last second drives. That means they were good enough.

Please tell me how Dak proved he was ever good enough.

Would you rather have the guy that wins you a ring or the guy that hasn’t?

And you and I have different definitions of what’s good enough. I don’t accept participation trophies or banners. You either win the title or you’re in a long list of losers.
JigenDaisuke
Starter
And1: 105

Post#594 » by JigenDaisuke » Mon Feb 12, 2024 7:47 pm

49ers did exactly what they should have done.

4th and 4 you take the lead, not go for it and risk giving Mahomes the ball so he can win it. Unfortunately there was just a little too much time left so he was able to tie it.

Overtime, take the ball first. They needed the touchdown. But I don't fault them at all for just taking the field goal.

Chiefs defense just played great and they deserve the win. Mahomes came up big when he needed to. That's how it goes sometimes. That's why he has 3 rings.
azcatz11
RealGM

Post#595 » by azcatz11 » Mon Feb 12, 2024 7:50 pm

JigenDaisuke wrote:49ers did exactly what they should have done.

4th and 4 you take the lead, not go for it and risk giving Mahomes the ball so he can win it. Unfortunately there was just a little too much time left so he was able to tie it.

Overtime, take the ball first. They needed the touchdown. But I don't fault them at all for just taking the field goal.

Chiefs defense just played great and they deserve the win. Mahomes came up big when he needed to. That's how it goes sometimes. That's why he has 3 rings.

If you get those 4 yards you win the game though. They didn’t go for it because it would have looked idiotic and if he didn’t get the 4 yards the coaching staff looks like fools but that was the right call there. Unfortunately public perception had a hand in last nights game
SK21209
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,121

Post#596 » by SK21209 » Mon Feb 12, 2024 7:54 pm

Mr B wrote:

Great HC’s win titles.

Maybe it’s the younger generation but you guys want to call everyone great even if they’ve never won anything. Being good does not automatically mean you’re great. You still have to earn that label of being great.

:roll: okay man. If we're taking that view then sure, Belichick and Reid are the only great coaches in the game today.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#597 » by Mr B » Mon Feb 12, 2024 8:39 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=46&t=3KaI_3QT7XTTm5N8gt4yQg

El Turco
GOTB Fantasy Basketball Ultimate 2x Champion
And1: 20,724

Post#598 » by El Turco » Mon Feb 12, 2024 8:47 pm

@wrongopinionman so smooth, so apt :)
TheLowlySquire wrote:Wow, Arda! Huge!

Howard Mass wrote:Arda is not a terrorist. Arda is a good person.
wembambamya
Junior
And1: 114

Post#599 » by wembambamya » Mon Feb 12, 2024 8:53 pm

azcatz11 wrote:
Mr B wrote:
azcatz11 wrote:

no, you have to have Reid or Belichick to win in this league lmao. I wonder what happens if Andy Reid retires, do they just cancel the season ahahah
azcatz11
RealGM

Post#600 » by azcatz11 » Mon Feb 12, 2024 8:56 pm

wembambamya wrote:
azcatz11 wrote:
Mr B wrote:Not much of a reader are you?

no, you have to have Reid or Belichick to win in this league lmao. I wonder what happens if Andy Reid retires, do they just cancel the season ahahah

Andy Reid never won anything without Patrick Mahomes. It's incredible the short memories people have

Return to The General NFL Board