Moderator: bwgood77

Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,358

Re: Dak Prescott thread 

Post#781 » by Mr B » Mon Jan 15, 2024 8:14 pm

wco81 wrote:
Micah Prescott wrote:
Mr B wrote:Honestly the best way to move on from Dak would be to just designate him a post June 1st cut and split the cap hit into 2 seasons. Just bite the bullet and take the cap hit. Tank for 1 season and go into the ‘25 draft with a top 5 pick, get your QB (Manning?).

While you might be right, I highly doubt the front office would be willing to take a hit like that in an effort to get high draft placement.

Even if they get the next "generational" QB prospect, there are no guarantees.

Luck didn't win, did lift his team to the playoffs.

Trevor has led the team to the playoffs but they're not a contender yet and he's about to get paid.

Caleb is suppose to be the next MVP type of QB. We will see.

Even if they get the top pick and he plays like Stroud at least, that may still not be enough.

What do you do for next season with Parsons, Lamb and Pollard?

Pay them a ton of money for a tanking team?

Dak may not be that guy either but at least he's put up MVP numbers. Again, it's up to the owner to reset and blow it up.

I wonder where the whole fanbase is? They may be pissed at McCarthy and Dak and Quinn.

But any decisions made in this emotional state may not work out the best.

You definitely need luck when it comes to finding a QB. You also need great scouting, a good-great OL, and a running game.

As for Pollard, Lamb, and Parsons. Ideally they would look to trade them each for 1st round picks. Realistically though Lamb and Parsons will be resigned. They are cornerstone players that are still young and will be pivotal to grooming a young QB. Pollard has played his last game as a Cowboy. They are going to completely remake the RB room, Dowdle might be the only RB returning. So the Cowboys will never truly tank. If your scouts are good (and you listen to them) you can find a QB in the mid-late 1st or even the middle rounds.
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,358

Post#782 » by Mr B » Mon Jan 15, 2024 8:24 pm

wco81 wrote:I never once thought that 49ers should have moved on from Steve Young when he was unable to get the team a SB ring.

Then again the salaries weren't crazy like they are now and there wasn't a salary cap.

But I don't think it was even on the radar of 49ers fans at the time that the team should tank and try to start again with a young QB.

There were certainly a lot of fans who attacked the front office and Walsh and Seifert for getting rid of Montana too early but there was no talk about getting rid of Young.

He had a huge monkey on his back but finally when he got it off, it was one of the most dominant performances in SB history.

Totally different era. I do remember Young being talked about negatively though, about not being as good as Montana. That’s why it was such a big deal about him getting that monkey off his back. Young had been to multiple NFC Championship games though. Dak has barely won 2 playoff games (and not in the same season). He has a 2-5 career playoff record. There’s a big difference between Dak and prime Steve Young.
El Turco
GOTB Fantasy Basketball Ultimate 2x Champion
And1: 20,722

Post#783 » by El Turco » Mon Jan 15, 2024 8:43 pm

More than half of the Cowboys offensive line was just voted all pro IIRC. Maybe they are just getting by their reputation. You can probably find running backs with mid rounds or even with undrafted free agents.

You can build around Parsons, Lamb and good offensive line. Key is having cap space and picks to pounce on any opportunity that arises. I think Cowboys have a good base to work from, they just need the balls to move on from their decent but low ceiling quarterback who cant overcome his roster deficiencies in playoffs. Like Andy Reid moved on from Alex Smith, or Harbaugh moved on from Flacco or Kyle moved on from Jimmy G etc.

Doesnt mean they will win the Super Bowl, you need many things to go right for that, but those teams are in better shape to win it nonetheless.
TheLowlySquire wrote:Wow, Arda! Huge!

Howard Mass wrote:Arda is not a terrorist. Arda is a good person.
Micah Prescott
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,386

Post#784 » by Micah Prescott » Mon Jan 15, 2024 8:44 pm

I think Dak would be open to trade. He himself said he should be on the chopping block along with McCarthy.

He probably wants a change of scenery himself.

But even with that he's entering the last year of his contract. That's probably hard to trade. He would need a new contract from the team being traded to.
Micah Prescott
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,386

Post#785 » by Micah Prescott » Mon Jan 15, 2024 8:46 pm

Because of we could do something similar to Stafford-Goff trade that would be nice.

Just give two guys a new scene and system.
El Turco

Post#786 » by El Turco » Mon Jan 15, 2024 8:59 pm

wco81 wrote:I never once thought that 49ers should have moved on from Steve Young when he was unable to get the team a SB ring.

Then again the salaries weren't crazy like they are now and there wasn't a salary cap.

But I don't think it was even on the radar of 49ers fans at the time that the team should tank and try to start again with a young QB.

There were certainly a lot of fans who attacked the front office and Walsh and Seifert for getting rid of Montana too early but there was no talk about getting rid of Young.

He had a huge monkey on his back but finally when he got it off, it was one of the most dominant performances in SB history.

Steve Young won it his 3rd year as starter, of course you give your quarterback that much leash. If he had failed few more years with that team everyone would have been calling for his head.

Salary cap of course makes a big difference but regardless everyone gets few years to prove themselves as long as they show flashes and improvement during the season.

last stand
Sixth Man
And1: 327

Post#787 » by last stand » Mon Jan 15, 2024 8:59 pm

The cowboys don’t need a generational talent at QB. Who’s a generational talent? Mahomes? Maybe stroud?

That’s really it

Everyone else is just good to great and the question is does said QB get worse or better under pressure

Jalen hurts? Gets better under pressure
Burrow? Gets better under pressure
Mahomes? Better under pressure

Dak? Much worse under pressure
Cousins? Much worse under pressure

This is why regular season success is relatively meaningless. There’s 10-12 QBs who will win you 9-13 wins every season if there’s no catastrophic injuries

What’s different is what happens come playoff time. Do players play their same level, better, or worse

Dak plays worse. Unquestionably. His numbers are essentially garbage time numbers. He feasts on teams he has overwhelming roster advantages on, is 50/50 against teams close in roster in the regular season, and then he flatlines in the playoffs unless his roster has an overwhelming advantage a la last years bucs

The cowboys just need a QB to play at their level or better in the playoffs.
El Turco

Post#788 » by El Turco » Mon Jan 15, 2024 9:03 pm

Micah Prescott wrote:Because of we could do something similar to Stafford-Goff trade that would be nice.

Just give two guys a new scene and system.

Yeah that might work, but those are different to pull off, both quarterbacks wanted an amicable exit which is rare and of course no one thought Goff could be resurrected like this.

SurfAndTurf
Sophomore
And1: 21

Post#789 » by SurfAndTurf » Mon Jan 15, 2024 9:38 pm

last stand wrote:
TinmanZBoy wrote:When your defense allowed the packers and Jordan Love that type of game, even an error free Dak would not have mattered

Down 7-0 cowboys have a drive to tie, punt.

Cowboys defense stops Green Bay the packers punt

Dak throws an INT and now the packers are at the 10 and score a TD

It’s 14-0, cowboys punt again

Packers score on the defense make it 20-0

Dak throws a pick 6 now it’s 27-0 game over.

And if everyone forgets dak also threw a pick in the endzone that was a gimme and was dropped. Which ended up 27-7. However let’s be real, he threw a pick but we’ll say that’s a wash so 27-7.

I see 2 punts, a disastrous interception, another punt and then a pick 6

What world is it the defense. They didn’t play good but it’s pretty hard to succeed when your offense can’t score and is giving the packers 14 points

Dak lost them that game. Plain and simple.

I agree with some of that but you lost me at Dak lost the game for them . I mentioned before the game if Dallas couldn’t slow Jones down they were in for a wild ride because a turnover or drive killing penalty will most likely mean your playing from behind and that’s what happened . The offense needed a perfect game Sunday and they didn’t get it . Deduct 14 points from the 2 picks and they still gave up 34 points that’s crazy . There were guys literally wide open and when they weren’t Love put the ball on the money . All the zone coverage out of the blue and running on first down out of the blue literally made me throw up in my mouth . Fire everyone, Hire the crazy dude from Michigan who will bring toughness to this team and let Dak play his contract out before extending. Eat the 50 million next year and move on .
last stand
Sixth Man

Post#790 » by last stand » Mon Jan 15, 2024 9:41 pm

Game flow is important

The defense played its role in the loss absolutely. But there’s no question dak lost the game

The play by play is a script of how dak lost the game. From a gameflow perspective he’s by far the #1 culprit

It’s not just 14 points. It’s when the 14 points happened. It’s how it happened. It’s what it likely did to the morale of the team

Throwing what was essentially 2 pick 6s is soul crushing

Let me put it this way. If the same thing happened and Dallas was up 27-7 instead of down 7-27 and he threw those 2 picks in the heat of that guess what? It’s now 27-21

14 points is 30% of the opponents score. And I’ll do you one better. 14 points in the first half was more than 50% of the packers total offensive output in the first half. So essentially dak accounted for half their points.
SurfAndTurf
Sophomore

Post#791 » by SurfAndTurf » Mon Jan 15, 2024 9:44 pm

To me when you get a performance like this in a playoff game means the HC was unable to prepare the team and prepare the offensive game plan . I’m not a big fan of that . There’s a reason MM has 1 SB after a decade with 1 of the best QB s to ever play the game . That reason is Aaron Rodgers . He won despite of MM .
last stand
Sixth Man

Post#792 » by last stand » Mon Jan 15, 2024 9:46 pm

SurfAndTurf wrote:To me when you get a performance like this in a playoff game means the HC was unable to prepare the team and prepare the offensive game plan . I’m not a big fan of that . There’s a reason MM has 1 SB after a decade with 1 of the best QB s to ever play the game . That reason is Aaron Rodgers . He won despite of MM .

Dak had a 2-5 playoff record. Hes tied with Alex smith for playoff record

Alex smith played for Jim harbaugh and Andy Reid

Sometimes it’s the QB.
SurfAndTurf
Sophomore

Post#793 » by SurfAndTurf » Mon Jan 15, 2024 9:47 pm

last stand wrote:Game flow is important

The defense played its role in the loss absolutely. But there’s no question dak lost the game

The play by play is a script of how dak lost the game. From a gameflow perspective he’s by far the #1 culprit

But that’s not how the game flow is supposed to go for a home #2 seed . There should be some room for error but as I mentioned pre game when you’re getting gashed on the ground there is no room for error and if you want to beat Dallas you limit their possessions . GB did that very well .
azcatz11
RealGM
And1: 29,074

Post#794 » by azcatz11 » Mon Jan 15, 2024 9:48 pm

I floated this in the other thread but a Dak for Tua trade makes sense for both teams
last stand
Sixth Man

Post#795 » by last stand » Mon Jan 15, 2024 9:52 pm

SurfAndTurf wrote:

But that’s not how the game flow is supposed to go for a home #2 seed . There should be some room for error but as I mentioned pre game when you’re getting gashed on the ground there is no room for error and if you want to beat Dallas you limit their possessions . GB did that very well .

No it’s not and that’s on dak

Again the defense stopped Green Bay. It’s right there. I’ll say it again

Down 7-0

The offense went down and punted

The cowboys defense forced a punt from Green Bay after poor offense

Dak throws what is essentially a pick 6.

Now it’s 14-0 and it’s a completely different game. Then down 20 and driving he throws a pick 6 to essentially put them out of the game

It’s unrealistic to blame the defense. It’s not like dak lost a shootout

Dak put them in an insurmountable hole. Not only that he he willingly handed the packers confidence

Your right. A #2 seed should be able to tie that game up at 7. They had 2 chances to do so. 1 of those chances they gave the other team 7 more points
last stand
Sixth Man

Post#796 » by last stand » Mon Jan 15, 2024 9:52 pm

azcatz11 wrote:I floated this in the other thread but a Dak for Tua trade makes sense for both teams

I want nothing more
azcatz11
RealGM
And1: 29,074

Post#797 » by azcatz11 » Mon Jan 15, 2024 9:57 pm

last stand wrote:
azcatz11 wrote:I floated this in the other thread but a Dak for Tua trade makes sense for both teams

I want nothing more

We are not trading Hurts for Dak my man
El Turco

Post#798 » by El Turco » Mon Jan 15, 2024 9:59 pm

last stand wrote:
SurfAndTurf wrote:

Down 7-0

Now it’s 14-0 and it’s a completely different game. Then down 20 and driving he throws a pick 6 to essentially put them out of the game

Dak put them in an insurmountable hole. Not only that he he willingly handed the packers confidence

Your right. A #2 seed should be able to tie that game up at 7. They had 2 chances to do so. 1 of those chances they gave the other team 7 more points

Cowboys defenders were just sauntering around lackadaisically by the time we got to mid second quarter. It was very easy to see, they just didnt want to be there.

"Cowboys allowed 48 points they wouldnt have won even with a great quarterback" is such a lazy analysis, I hope Cowboys management shares this sentiment and they get rid of defensive personnel instead of fixing the offense.

last stand
Sixth Man

Post#799 » by last stand » Mon Jan 15, 2024 10:00 pm

azcatz11 wrote:
last stand wrote:

I want nothing more

We are not trading Hurts for Dak my man

I wouldn’t trade hurts for anyone that would be offered. People would be like you wouldn’t trade hurts for “love, burrow, stroud, mahomes”

I’m like those guys wouldn’t be offered. Hurts is the eagles QB. I trust him for at least another year or 2. He’s taken them to a Super Bowl already
last stand
Sixth Man

Post#800 » by last stand » Mon Jan 15, 2024 10:04 pm

El Turco wrote:
last stand wrote:
SurfAndTurf wrote:

Down 7-0

Cowboys defenders were just sauntering around lackadaisically by the time we got to mid second quarter. It was very easy to see, they just didnt want to be there.

"Cowboys allowed 48 points they wouldnt have won even with a great quarterback" is such a lazy analysis, I hope Cowboys management shares this sentiment and they get rid of defensive personnel instead of fixing the offense.

Tbh looking back I kept saying I wonder if Jerry jones said something to wound them up

Thinking now it was more players saw dak in the locker room pregame and were like uh oh this guy is not ready. And that’s why they came out so nervous.

I remember 2017 being so sure the eagles would lose to the patriots, and then they showed a video of nick foles on the sideline and he looked like he was standing in line at a cafe and I immediately knew the eagles would put up a fight and had a shot

Something tells me dak looked like he was standing in front of a judge awaiting his sentence

Return to The General NFL Board