Coach of the Year Candidates

Moderator: bwgood77

Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,974

Coach of the Year Candidates 

Post#1 » by Otis Driftwood » Thu Nov 10, 2016 1:34 pm

As the "Race to get fired" thread has died down a little... thought it would worthwhile to look at the other side of the coin. Who is doing the best job leading their team up to this point?

My picks...

1 - Jason Garrett. Call me a homer. I don't care. He has a rookie QB, a rookie RB, a defense that has over-achieved in the eyes of many, but most importantly he has the room and he has this team locked into the "one game at a time" mentality that is the mantra of his mentor... Nick Saban. Also has them with the best record in the NFC.

2 - Jack Del Rio. The Raiders are back and he's a huge reason why. The defense is still a problem and the penalties are going to cost them at some point but they are the second best team in the AFC for a reason. Their offense is good enough to get them deep into the playoffs.

3 - Andy Reid. Year after year... the dude takes a little here and a little there and cobbles together a team that is competitive every week. Very underrated defense is second toughest in the AFC to score on so far. That December 8 matchup in KC with the Raiders should be a good one.

4 - Bill Belichick. Has to be recognized if for no other reason the Patriots went 3-1 when Brady was out. Everyone should realize that they are watching a coaching legend right before their eyes. GOAT... and I've seen a few.
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it."
Mich3006
Head Coach
And1: 3,682

Re: Coach of the Year Candidates 

Post#2 » by Mich3006 » Thu Nov 10, 2016 2:19 pm

You mentioned 4/5 because Dan Quinn could be in the race as well
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#3 » by Otis Driftwood » Thu Nov 10, 2016 2:30 pm

Ayatollah wrote:You mentioned 4/5 because Dan Quinn could be in the race as well

Absolutely. And as the season progresses, even more so if Atlanta continues their quality play.
TheOnlyQuayH
Freshman
And1: 32

Post#4 » by TheOnlyQuayH » Thu Nov 10, 2016 3:00 pm

I would have Del Rio at #1
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#5 » by Otis Driftwood » Thu Nov 10, 2016 3:18 pm

TheOnlyQuayH wrote:I would have Del Rio at #1

Personally - can't do it... at least not right now. They have way too many penalties as a team. The head coach owns that.
Mamba Mentality
RealGM
And1: 19,439

Post#6 » by Mamba Mentality » Thu Nov 10, 2016 7:32 pm

Otis Driftwood wrote:

Personally - can't do it... at least not right now. They have way too many penalties as a team. The head coach owns that.

Since when were penalties a measure for coach of the year? I think it's even more impressive that they lead the league in penalties, yet they're winning arguably the toughest division in the NFL.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM
And1: 3,230

Post#7 » by bluejerseyjinx » Thu Nov 10, 2016 7:53 pm

Otis Driftwood wrote:

Correct. That is of lack of disipline no matter how you cut it. If the Raiders don't correct their penalty issues and improve a defense that is in the bottom of defenses so far this year, well, I think that will be their achillies heel.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#8 » by bluejerseyjinx » Thu Nov 10, 2016 7:55 pm

The Regime wrote:
Otis Driftwood wrote:

Since when were penalties a measure for coach of the year? I think it's even more impressive that they lead the league in penalties, yet they're winning arguably the toughest division in the NFL.

continue getting 15 to 20 penalty a game and we will see how many games you win down the stretch when it REALLY matters.
GoRapstheoriginal
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,742

Post#9 » by GoRapstheoriginal » Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:11 pm

Let's wait & see if we(the Raiders) can win against Houston off of the bye week. I mean, imo it's a must win game.

Winning after the bye week is hugely on the coaching staff, a *little* bit on the players for executing the game plan/strategy etc.
Mamba Mentality
RealGM

Post#10 » by Mamba Mentality » Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:12 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:
The Regime wrote:
Otis Driftwood wrote:

continue getting 15 to 20 penalty a game and we will see how many games you win down the stretch when it REALLY matters.

By no means can they keep that up....With that being said the Raiders are 7-2 in a division that will probably feature three playoff teams and a fourth team that is pretty damn good. I think for Del Rio to win COTY it's contigent on the Raiders winning the division.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#11 » by bluejerseyjinx » Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:15 pm

Well I still need to see more from the Raiders. Outside of Kansas City and Denver, you really haven't played any one yet, imho.
Mamba Mentality
RealGM

Post#12 » by Mamba Mentality » Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:22 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:Well I still need to see more from the Raiders. Outside of Kansas City and Denver, you really haven't played any one yet, imho.

Going into this season Raiders were ranked 16th in strength of schedule, and the Cowboys were tied for 27th...just saying.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#13 » by bluejerseyjinx » Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:30 pm

Those strengths of schedules going into the season were based on last years rankings. Its a different year and season and both divisions are stronger than anyone expected. NFL is a week to week season all season. Every 3 weeks things look different. Look at he Egals for instance. Started 3-0, and now look at them. And who would have imagined Carolina **** the bed this year and most of the sports pundits thinking the Steelers would be in the AFC Championship game with that defense.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#14 » by Otis Driftwood » Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:31 pm

GoRapstheoriginal wrote:Let's wait & see if we(the Raiders) can win against Houston off of the bye week. I mean, imo it's a must win game.

Winning after the bye week is hugely on the coaching staff, a *little* bit on the players for executing the game plan/strategy etc.

I completely agree. Scariest part of the bye week is how the team responds.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#15 » by Otis Driftwood » Thu Nov 10, 2016 9:54 pm

The Regime wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:Well I still need to see more from the Raiders. Outside of Kansas City and Denver, you really haven't played any one yet, imho.

Going into this season Raiders were ranked 16th in strength of schedule, and the Cowboys were tied for 27th...just saying.

That is a fair argument and the records so far this season bear it out.

Current record of teams the Raiders have played so far is a combined .513. Cowboys is .381. If you extrapolate that out the remainder of the schedule, The Raiders strength of schedule at .522 and the Cowboys .459.

But, the Cowboys actually have a tougher remaining SOS (.535 winning percentage for teams still left to play) than the Raiders do (.533). And both divisions are head and shoulders above the others. AFC West is at .637 for the year - NFC East is .651.

Numbers are fun.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,333

Post#16 » by bwgood77 » Fri Nov 11, 2016 2:07 am

I didn't see this thread until now but earlier today was thinking Del Rio, if he keeps it up should be coach of the year. It's just instilling the confidence and guts in his team...they won two games by going for it on 4th. Sure those could be bad moves, but he has this team believing. The Andy Reid mention his a good one. Every year, he takes a team I am not sure will be that great, and they just keep pulling out wins, by taking care of games each week.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#17 » by bluejerseyjinx » Fri Nov 11, 2016 3:10 pm

Way too early to be handing out coach of the year. Too much still to be resolved. Too much can change and happen in even just 3 weeks. The names mentioned above are excellent choices, but as we have all learned in the NFL, what not for long means (please Stephen, keep Jerry in his cage for 10 more weeks and lose the key), lol. There are some things bubbling right now that haven't surfaced just as of yet. And when they do there will be more names to add. I see one developing possibly in New Orleans or in Detroit. And why isn't coaches like Pete Carroll not in Mix? Looks like he is holding his team together with all their problems. What if Arians and the Cardinals get on a roll and come back and win the NFC West? I'm just saying in 3 weeks this list may be different.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#18 » by Otis Driftwood » Fri Nov 11, 2016 5:42 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:Way too early to be handing out coach of the year. Too much still to be resolved. Too much can change and happen in even just 3 weeks. The names mentioned above are excellent choices, but as we have all learned in the NFL, what not for long means (please Stephen, keep Jerry in his cage for 10 more weeks and lose the key), lol. There are some things bubbling right now that haven't surfaced just as of yet. And when they do there will be more names to add. I see one developing possibly in New Orleans or in Detroit. And why isn't coaches like Pete Carroll not in Mix? Looks like he is holding his team together with all their problems. What if Arians and the Cardinals get on a roll and come back and win the NFC West? I'm just saying in 3 weeks this list may be different.

Which is why... my statement was;

"Who is doing the best job leading their team up to this point? "

Still half a season left.
RavenMad31
Senior
And1: 252

Post#19 » by RavenMad31 » Sat Nov 12, 2016 12:30 am

I have to go with Jason Garrett or Bill Belichick. The reasons have already been mentioned earlier and frankly, you could just call the damn thing the Bill Belichick Coach of the Year trophy at this point. He could arguably win it every year.
I agree with the penalty problem for Del Rio and frankly, for a guy whose specialty is defense, I would almost say that side of the ball is overachieving considering they aren't lacking for talent.
My participation trophies go to Jim Caldwell, but this is contingent on the Lions improving and continuing to be competitive. The other goes to Hue Jackson. He has a high school team showing up and competing every week and the offensive play calling actually looks pretty good to me if you can make the leap of imagination required to see what it could do with actual NFL players.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#20 » by bluejerseyjinx » Sat Nov 12, 2016 7:13 pm

If its up to this point, considering everything and I hate to admit it, but I might have to go with Andy Reid. No Charles and Houston, Poe, Smith and Ware have all been out as well. Berry didn't play early in the year for a few games. they play in the very tough AFC west and had a brutal schedule to start the season outside of the Jets. Kansas City continues to play under the radar.

Return to The General NFL Board