Coach of the Year Candidates

bluejerseyjinx
RealGM
And1: 3,284

Re: Coach of the Year Candidates 

Post#21 » by bluejerseyjinx » Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:59 am

Otis Driftwood wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:Way too early to be handing out coach of the year. Too much still to be resolved. Too much can change and happen in even just 3 weeks. The names mentioned above are excellent choices, but as we have all learned in the NFL, what not for long means (please Stephen, keep Jerry in his cage for 10 more weeks and lose the key), lol. There are some things bubbling right now that haven't surfaced just as of yet. And when they do there will be more names to add. I see one developing possibly in New Orleans or in Detroit. And why isn't coaches like Pete Carroll not in Mix? Looks like he is holding his team together with all their problems. What if Arians and the Cardinals get on a roll and come back and win the NFC West? I'm just saying in 3 weeks this list may be different.

Which is why... my statement was;

"Who is doing the best job leading their team up to this point? "

Still half a season left.

Is it possible for our defensive coordinator to at least get honorable mention? Marannelli has been outstanding, wow!!!
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,974

Post#22 » by Otis Driftwood » Mon Nov 14, 2016 2:05 am

bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Otis Driftwood wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:Way too early to be handing out coach of the year. Too much still to be resolved. Too much can change and happen in even just 3 weeks. The names mentioned above are excellent choices, but as we have all learned in the NFL, what not for long means (please Stephen, keep Jerry in his cage for 10 more weeks and lose the key), lol. There are some things bubbling right now that haven't surfaced just as of yet. And when they do there will be more names to add. I see one developing possibly in New Orleans or in Detroit. And why isn't coaches like Pete Carroll not in Mix? Looks like he is holding his team together with all their problems. What if Arians and the Cardinals get on a roll and come back and win the NFC West? I'm just saying in 3 weeks this list may be different.

Which is why... my statement was;

"Who is doing the best job leading their team up to this point? "

Still half a season left.

Is it possible for our defensive coordinator to at least get honorable mention? Marannelli has been outstanding, wow!!!

I think there is an award for assistant coach of the year. He's a shoo-in.
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it."
OnceUponADime
Senior
And1: 399

Post#23 » by OnceUponADime » Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:18 am

Jack Del Rio or Dan Quinn.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#24 » by bluejerseyjinx » Fri Nov 18, 2016 2:54 pm

Pete Carroll, hand down !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics
And1: 14,441

Post#25 » by Cactus Jack » Fri Nov 18, 2016 7:36 pm

Del Rio will win it.
Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#26 » by Otis Driftwood » Thu Dec 1, 2016 1:24 pm

Adam Gase anyone?
Mich3006
Head Coach
And1: 3,682

Post#27 » by Mich3006 » Thu Dec 1, 2016 2:04 pm

Otis Driftwood wrote:Adam Gase anyone?

He´s in the mix (as well as McAdoo btw) but the award goes to either del Rio or Garrett, depends on the MVP (Carr or Prescott/Elliott) IMO
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#28 » by Otis Driftwood » Thu Dec 1, 2016 2:27 pm

Ayatollah wrote:
Otis Driftwood wrote:Adam Gase anyone?

He´s in the mix (as well as McAdoo btw) but the award goes to either del Rio or Garrett, depends on the MVP (Carr or Prescott/Elliott) IMO

You would think. But if the Dolphins keep winning he has to be a serious part of the discussion. That is absolutely not a team I had any consideration for at the beginning of the year and definitely not after September.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#29 » by bluejerseyjinx » Sun Dec 4, 2016 5:46 pm

Starting to get the feeling if the Cowboys continue to roll, Garrett will get thrown into the mix with what he has put together with two rookies at key skilled positions.
bleu
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,146

Post#30 » by bleu » Sun Dec 4, 2016 8:44 pm

To me, it's a three-man race and nobody else is even close.

Belichick, Del Rio, and Garrett. Right now I would lean towards Del Rio.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#31 » by bluejerseyjinx » Sun Dec 4, 2016 8:56 pm

Yea, Del Rio is doing a hell of a job. Do you guys remember who Del Rio used to play for? lol.
jackwindham
Sixth Man
And1: 732

Post#32 » by jackwindham » Mon Dec 5, 2016 3:02 am

Ironically enough, Belichick might be hurt by the high standards that he set for the Patriots. People expect New England to be good no matter what.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#33 » by Otis Driftwood » Mon Dec 5, 2016 3:55 am

jackwindham wrote:Ironically enough, Belichick might be hurt by the high standards that he set for the Patriots. People expect New England to be good no matter what.

Yep. Successful coaches with a history of success almost never get COY recognition.

It's almost a two man race between Del Rio and Garrett at this point. And both are equally deserving.
RavenMad31
Senior
And1: 252

Post#34 » by RavenMad31 » Wed Dec 7, 2016 8:57 pm

Otis Driftwood wrote:
jackwindham wrote:Ironically enough, Belichick might be hurt by the high standards that he set for the Patriots. People expect New England to be good no matter what.

Yep. Successful coaches with a history of success almost never get COY recognition.

It's almost a two man race between Del Rio and Garrett at this point. And both are equally deserving.

We still have a quarter of a season to go, but Jim Caldwell has to start getting some recognition for his work in Detroit. He's helping Matt Stafford to do what Brett Favre did after Sterling Sharpe retired early which is to become a better QB after losing a super-talented receiver. I think Gase has done a hell of a job getting things going in the right direction in Miami. It won't happen in a billion years, but considering the fact that Cleveland plays hard, reasonably smart football every week without getting totally blown out, Hue Jackson deserves something.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#35 » by Otis Driftwood » Wed Dec 7, 2016 9:25 pm

RavenMad31 wrote:
Otis Driftwood wrote:

We still have a quarter of a season to go, but Jim Caldwell has to start getting some recognition for his work in Detroit. He's helping Matt Stafford to do what Brett Favre did after Sterling Sharpe retired early which is to become a better QB after losing a super-talented receiver. I think Gase has done a hell of a job getting things going in the right direction in Miami. It won't happen in a billion years, but considering the fact that Cleveland plays hard, reasonably smart football every week without getting totally blown out, Hue Jackson deserves something.

You're absolutely right about Caldwell and Gase. And I suspect they will both get a few votes. But I remember having more than a few folks laugh at my "Beware the Raiders" comment back in August. And this 11-1 thing down here... anyone saying they predicted that after Romo went down is a bald faced liar.

And - I root for Hue. He was dealt a bad hand in Oakland and he's digging out of a massive mess in Cleveland. Once again - you are correct that those guys play hard for him unlike some members of a team in the NFC East who have a whole bunch of dog in them. I'd really like to see Hue get a fair shot with real talent.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,007

Post#36 » by FNQ » Wed Dec 7, 2016 9:44 pm

I'm biased. Let's get that out of the way.

#1 Jason Garrett
#1B Jack Del Rio

Garrett's team is better right now, IMO. And I havent watched every Cowboy's game. But I can definitely say that Jack Del Rio and his gambling mentality has really helped the Raiders and won at least 2-3 games that we might not have because of it. So I definitely think the top spot goes to one of these 2 guys, and I dont think there is a wrong call. Garrett, to his credit, has managed his roster perfectly, limiting defensive exposure by controlling the clock, and benching a big name QB for the upstart rookie. So he's not solely the product of a good roster, he's done his job extremely well

#3 Bill Belicheck

Remember when Brady was suspended and Jimmy G was hurt? They were 3-1 in that time. On a team with a HOF QB, to go from that to your 3rd stringer and still be 3-1 is amazing. And the thing is, if this were a new coach, he'd be right up there with Jack and Jason, but we kinda expect this from Belicheck now. It would take ANOTHER 16-0 season for most fans to be surprised. But still extremely impressive

#4 Andy Reid
KC lost their best defensive playmaker for most of the season and is one of 2 teams to beat the Raiders this year. Not to mention the disappearance of Jeremy Maclin and the injury to Charles, how the hell are the Chiefs 9-3? Reid continues to be a steady hand on an above average team.

#5 Dan Quinn
By week 3 everyone was waiting for the wheels to fall off in Atlanta, per usual. Week 14 is here and we're still waiting. The defensive coach is leading one of the best offenses in football and their defense is just good enough to keep them hanging with the best in the NFL. They really do need to blitz more though.

#6 Jim Caldwell - are the Lions finally legit?
#7 Pete Carroll - have to respect the record, played pretty well despite a gimpy Russell Wilson
#8 Ben McAdoo - Eli has been bad this year, how are they 8-4?
#9 Adam Gase - if Eli's been bad, Tannehill's been a veritable sh*tstorm of a QB. 7-5, emerging defense, and high quality RB
#10 Dirk Koetter - TB's record continues to shock me week after week. Winston is progressing, but the defense is actually solid too
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,007

Post#37 » by FNQ » Wed Dec 7, 2016 9:45 pm

Otis Driftwood wrote:
RavenMad31 wrote:
Otis Driftwood wrote:

You're absolutely right about Caldwell and Gase. And I suspect they will both get a few votes. But I remember having more than a few folks laugh at my "Beware the Raiders" comment back in August. And this 11-1 thing down here... anyone saying they predicted that after Romo went down is a bald faced liar.

And - I root for Hue. He was dealt a bad hand in Oakland and he's digging out of a massive mess in Cleveland. Once again - you are correct that those guys play hard for him unlike some members of a team in the NFC East who have a whole bunch of dog in them. I'd really like to see Hue get a fair shot with real talent.

+1, especially for Hue. He's a hell of an offensive mind.

But for the love of god keep him away from the GM role.
Cherokee
Ballboy
And1: 8

Post#38 » by Cherokee » Wed Dec 7, 2016 11:09 pm

I think it's gotta be Jack Del Rio for the job he's done with the Raiders.
Kyle_Connor
Freshman
And1: 11

Post#39 » by Kyle_Connor » Thu Dec 8, 2016 6:56 am

Could be Jason Garrett.
RavenMad31
Senior
And1: 252

Post#40 » by RavenMad31 » Thu Dec 8, 2016 3:45 pm

Otis Driftwood wrote:
RavenMad31 wrote:
Otis Driftwood wrote:

I picked the Cowboys to go worst to first this season, then as my buddy laughed at me when Romo went down, foolish pride had me sticking by that pick though deep down I didn't really believe it. I maybe have picked the Raiders to win the West, though that wasn't an unprecedented sexy bold prediction going into the season.
FNQ wrote:I'm biased. Let's get that out of the way.

#1 Jason Garrett
#1B Jack Del Rio

Garrett's team is better right now, IMO. And I havent watched every Cowboy's game. But I can definitely say that Jack Del Rio and his gambling mentality has really helped the Raiders and won at least 2-3 games that we might not have because of it. So I definitely think the top spot goes to one of these 2 guys, and I dont think there is a wrong call. Garrett, to his credit, has managed his roster perfectly, limiting defensive exposure by controlling the clock, and benching a big name QB for the upstart rookie. So he's not solely the product of a good roster, he's done his job extremely well

#3 Bill Belicheck

Remember when Brady was suspended and Jimmy G was hurt? They were 3-1 in that time. On a team with a HOF QB, to go from that to your 3rd stringer and still be 3-1 is amazing. And the thing is, if this were a new coach, he'd be right up there with Jack and Jason, but we kinda expect this from Belicheck now. It would take ANOTHER 16-0 season for most fans to be surprised. But still extremely impressive

#4 Andy Reid
KC lost their best defensive playmaker for most of the season and is one of 2 teams to beat the Raiders this year. Not to mention the disappearance of Jeremy Maclin and the injury to Charles, how the hell are the Chiefs 9-3? Reid continues to be a steady hand on an above average team.

#5 Dan Quinn
By week 3 everyone was waiting for the wheels to fall off in Atlanta, per usual. Week 14 is here and we're still waiting. The defensive coach is leading one of the best offenses in football and their defense is just good enough to keep them hanging with the best in the NFL. They really do need to blitz more though.

#6 Jim Caldwell - are the Lions finally legit?
#7 Pete Carroll - have to respect the record, played pretty well despite a gimpy Russell Wilson
#8 Ben McAdoo - Eli has been bad this year, how are they 8-4?
#9 Adam Gase - if Eli's been bad, Tannehill's been a veritable sh*tstorm of a QB. 7-5, emerging defense, and high quality RB
#10 Dirk Koetter - TB's record continues to shock me week after week. Winston is progressing, but the defense is actually solid too

Dirk Koetter. That could be a deep sleeper pick right there and a deserving one.

Return to The General NFL Board