Where will Romo Go after this year?

Moderator: bwgood77

Mr B
RealGM
And1: 3,993

Re: Where will Romo Go after this year? 

Post#21 » by Mr B » Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:35 pm

I still do not see Houston being an option but definitely the other three teams you mentioned.
CDior510
Junior
And1: 105

Post#22 » by CDior510 » Mon Dec 5, 2016 7:57 pm

San Francisco isn't a good fit it seems to be a rebuild as well, I know it doesn't matter, but they're losing Kaepernick. Blaine Gabbert threw his way out of there. Jets have solid defense and some pieces. Houston is really backing Osweiler unless he completely tanks the rest of this year. Miami is a wash I think they just don't have that great of offense, even though Tannehill has been a huge problem.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,974

Post#23 » by Otis Driftwood » Mon Dec 5, 2016 8:35 pm

CDior510 wrote:San Francisco isn't a good fit it seems to be a rebuild as well, I know it doesn't matter, but they're losing Kaepernick. Blaine Gabbert threw his way out of there. Jets have solid defense and some pieces. Houston is really backing Osweiler unless he completely tanks the rest of this year. Miami is a wash I think they just don't have that great of offense, even though Tannehill has been a huge problem.

As long as Chip is in San Francisco, I don't see them as much of a fit for anyone... especially Romo. QB's get killed in his scheme.
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it."
CDior510
Junior
And1: 105

Post#24 » by CDior510 » Mon Dec 5, 2016 8:55 pm

Otis Driftwood wrote:
CDior510 wrote:San Francisco isn't a good fit it seems to be a rebuild as well, I know it doesn't matter, but they're losing Kaepernick. Blaine Gabbert threw his way out of there. Jets have solid defense and some pieces. Houston is really backing Osweiler unless he completely tanks the rest of this year. Miami is a wash I think they just don't have that great of offense, even though Tannehill has been a huge problem.

As long as Chip is in San Francisco, I don't see them as much of a fit for anyone... especially Romo. QB's get killed in his scheme.

Not to mention, their line has been the problem all year. Tony is injury prone and his game doesn't really fair well in a run heavy offense, he needs a decent at his age really a great line, and decent receivers, which Dallas has I think he stays and fights it out with Dak. Although Dak is the leader unquestionably now if he flops in the playoffs, or gets hurt, Tony knows the team and management well enough to swing things his way.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#25 » by Otis Driftwood » Mon Dec 5, 2016 9:23 pm

CDior510 wrote:
Otis Driftwood wrote:

Not to mention, their line has been the problem all year. Tony is injury prone and his game doesn't really fair well in a run heavy offense, he needs a decent at his age really a great line, and decent receivers, which Dallas has I think he stays and fights it out with Dak. Although Dak is the leader unquestionably now if he flops in the playoffs, or gets hurt, Tony knows the team and management well enough to swing things his way.

I'm one of those Cowboys fans who will not dismiss the possibility that he stays here with a redone contract. I'm not convinced that happens but I'd be happy as hell if it did. Romo could do a lot worse in this world than becoming the modern day Don Strock.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#26 » by Mr B » Tue Dec 6, 2016 4:22 am

CDior510 wrote:
Otis Driftwood wrote:

The team wouldn't let them fight it out in camp next year. They've made their decision and it's Dak. It would take a massive fall off for them to move on from Dak.

Personally I still fell that KC is the best fit followed by Denver. The Jets got some decisions to make too. Hackenburg and Petty are nowhere near being ready to start for an tire season. Petty looks like garbage right now. Do they decide to try to go for again with a vet QB in Romo or go for a total rebuild and hope that Petty/Hackenburg can survive the trial by fire? Romo would allow them to groom the two guys guys for at least 1 more season if not two.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#27 » by Otis Driftwood » Tue Dec 6, 2016 2:57 pm

Mr B wrote:
CDior510 wrote:
Otis Driftwood wrote:

The team wouldn't let them fight it out in camp next year. They've made their decision and it's Dak. It would take a massive fall off for them to move on from Dak.

Personally I still fell that KC is the best fit followed by Denver. The Jets got some decisions to make too. Hackenburg and Petty are nowhere near being ready to start for an tire season. Petty looks like garbage right now. Do they decide to try to go for again with a vet QB in Romo or go for a total rebuild and hope that Petty/Hackenburg can survive the trial by fire? Romo would allow them to groom the two guys guys for at least 1 more season if not two.

You're right. There is no "fight" remaining for the starting role here. Dak is the QB.

Now... next year... for the foreseeable future.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM
And1: 3,230

Post#28 » by bluejerseyjinx » Tue Dec 6, 2016 11:01 pm

Mr B wrote:
CDior510 wrote:
Otis Driftwood wrote:

I still think Kansas City and Houston make the most sense for a lot of reasons.
RavenMad31
Senior
And1: 252

Post#29 » by RavenMad31 » Wed Dec 7, 2016 12:25 am

I think since Romo will likely have some say in the matter, Denver is the front runner provided they are interested. (they should be) KC seems to be happy enough with Alex Smith. Houston is QB dumb and would have to admit that they just flushed a huge chunk of cash on a bum. While that's not unprecedented, I'd frankly rather play for Kubiak than Bill O'Brien.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#30 » by Otis Driftwood » Wed Dec 7, 2016 12:47 am

RavenMad31 wrote:I think since Romo will likely have some say in the matter, Denver is the front runner provided they are interested. (they should be) KC seems to be happy enough with Alex Smith. Houston is QB dumb and would have to admit that they just flushed a huge chunk of cash on a bum. While that's not unprecedented, I'd frankly rather play for Kubiak than Bill O'Brien.

I can't see Houston eating that investment unless they are completely certain Brock Lobster isn't the answer (which most of us are certain about but what do we know...) The other part of the equation is what Dallas gets in return. I'm sure they will try to get Romo where he wants to go but there is that little matter of $19M in dead money they will accumulate when he's traded. Make no mistake - Jerry will want maximum value in whatever he gets in return. Whoever gets him will get him at a relative bargain with his base salary. And if they are completely certain he's healthy, a team like the Broncos or maybe the Chiefs would see that contract as an asset.

Like I said somewhere else on the forum... if two seasons of Bradford are worth a 1 and a 4, then 2-3 seasons of a healthy Romo are worth at least that or more. Like a 1 and maybe a 2 or 3 that becomes a conditional 1.

And - like I have maintained all along... if Jerry doesn't get the value he wants, don't be surprised if he does nothing. Romo wouldn't like it and I'm sure his supporters would hate it. But one thing about Jerry that people tend to overlook. He'll keep a guy on the team and get his money's worth.

Hell - Brandon Carr has been stealing money for a few years.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#31 » by Mr B » Wed Dec 7, 2016 4:30 am

I would be surprised if they kept Romo. I don't think they want to go into training camp with both Romo and Dak. You don't want to put Dak through another QB controversy. I think if they can't get a deal done that they like they may just designate him a June 1st cut and split his cap hit over two years.

What would his cap hit look like if he were traded before the trade deadline? Would it be the same as cutting him post June 1st?
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#32 » by Otis Driftwood » Wed Dec 7, 2016 1:55 pm

Mr B wrote:I would be surprised if they kept Romo. I don't think they want to go into training camp with both Romo and Dak. You don't want to put Dak through another QB controversy. I think if they can't get a deal done that they like they may just designate him a June 1st cut and split his cap hit over two years.

What would his cap hit look like if he were traded before the trade deadline? Would it be the same as cutting him post June 1st?

League Year begins next March 9th. But June 1 is still the magic date for contracts. If he were traded prior to 6/1, we would eat the entire $19M in 2017 unless there is some form of renegotiation.

If they are going to pull off a deal before 6/1, I would prefer eating the money in 2017. Go young on defense (BJJ will like that) and get your ducks lined up for 2018 when Romo and Witten both come off the books. That's when (if they choose) they can go sign that stud DT or DE.

One last thing... and I believe this to my core having watched the last 27 years of Jerry. If they don't find a deal they like (and by they - I mean Jerry), I don't believe they will cut Romo. Not in 2017 anyway. That is simply not in Jerry's M.O. I know that doesn't make any sense to you or BJJ or most anyone on this forum. It's not what I would do either. But it's Jerry. Look at his history. Because it's all there. As far as putting Dak through a QB controversy - that ship sailed back in October. There is no controversy. He's the starting QB now. As far as Romo... just remember.

Jerry can sell ice water to an Eskimo.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#33 » by bluejerseyjinx » Wed Dec 7, 2016 3:02 pm

Otis Driftwood wrote:
Mr B wrote:I would be surprised if they kept Romo. I don't think they want to go into training camp with both Romo and Dak. You don't want to put Dak through another QB controversy. I think if they can't get a deal done that they like they may just designate him a June 1st cut and split his cap hit over two years.

League Year begins next March 9th. But June 1 is still the magic date for contracts. If he were traded prior to 6/1, we would eat the entire $19M in 2017 unless there is some form of renegotiation.

If they are going to pull off a deal before 6/1, I would prefer eating the money in 2017. Go young on defense (BJJ will like that) and get your ducks lined up for 2018 when Romo and Witten both come off the books. That's when (if they choose) they can go sign that stud DT or DE.

One last thing... and I believe this to my core having watched the last 27 years of Jerry. If they don't find a deal they like (and by they - I mean Jerry), I don't believe they will cut Romo. Not in 2017 anyway. That is simply not in Jerry's M.O. I know that doesn't make any sense to you or BJJ or most anyone on this forum. It's not what I would do either. But it's Jerry. Look at his history. Because it's all there. As far as putting Dak through a QB controversy - that ship sailed back in October. There is no controversy. He's the starting QB now. As far as Romo... just remember.

Like you said a while back and what we have discussed many times before the last two years, never under estimate Jerry. Since 2002, I've stopped trying to figure the guy out. I just hope we get it right this time. This year was unexpected, but with another great draft next year on defense, we are sitting pretty and should get a crack at 4 or 5 super bowls.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#34 » by Otis Driftwood » Wed Dec 7, 2016 3:09 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Otis Driftwood wrote:

Like you said a while back and what we have discussed many times before the last two years, never under estimate Jerry. Since 2002, I've stopped trying to figure the guy out. I just hope we get it right this time. This year was unexpected, but with another great draft next year on defense, we are sitting pretty and should get a crack at 4 or 5 super bowls.

Years ago, Jerry said "Never let your money get mad". That might be his philosophy in a nut shell.
Stoked
Senior
And1: 358

Post#35 » by Stoked » Wed Dec 7, 2016 5:28 pm

Been hearing a lot of "Romo to the Broncos" chatter.

As a Broncos fan I say no thanks. Romo is very injury prone and Denver does not have a good O Line to protect him. I'd rather invest that money in the O Line itself.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#36 » by Mr B » Wed Dec 7, 2016 7:55 pm

Stoked wrote:Been hearing a lot of "Romo to the Broncos" chatter.

As a Broncos fan I say no thanks. Romo is very injury prone and Denver does not have a good O Line to protect him. I'd rather invest that money in the O Line itself.

It's really going to come down to what Elway wants. Would he feel better about his team with a vet like Romo or with a young guy in Simien. Lynch has shown that he's not quite ready and another year of learning behind Romo might be worth the trade.

In my opinion I think this yea is basically a try out for Simien. If he plays consistently well I don't think they will be looking to trade for Romo. If Simien fails in the playoffs I think there is a great chance they make a play for Romo. Denver has a great defense but it's on the old side. They're built to win now. They may not be able to wait for Simien or Lynch to develop. By the time they're ready the defense won't be nearly as good as they are right now. No way Elway is willing to waist this defense. I do agree though that their OL is very suspect at best.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#37 » by bluejerseyjinx » Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:51 am

Talked to a friend of mine in New York and another one In Boston. Got to talking about where Romo would go after this year. I mentioned what most of us were thinking here at Realgm. But they got me thinking about another team. The Jaguars. After thinking about it, It does make sense. Bortles sucks and is showing no progression. They have great weapons in Hurns, Robinson and Thomas with a young upcoming defense. they also drafted 2 O-lineman last year and have the money to pay Romo and give Bortles the boot. Just a thought, but I kinda like it.
Jaguars announced they are not committed to Starting Bortles next year. Maybe, just maybe, humm. I still say the Jaguars might be a sleeper or dark horse team Romo could go to that makes sense.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#38 » by Mr B » Mon Dec 12, 2016 2:51 pm

I don't see Romo wanting to go to the Jags. Because he's going to have to rework his contract to make any deal work he's going to have a lot of say in where he's traded to. The Jags are not a contending team with or without Romo. Because of that I don't see him being willing to be traded to the Jags.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#39 » by Otis Driftwood » Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:11 pm

Mr B wrote:I don't see Romo wanting to go to the Jags. Because he's going to have to rework his contract to make any deal work he's going to have a lot of say in where he's traded to. The Jags are not a contending team with or without Romo. Because of that I don't see him being willing to be traded to the Jags.

Add to that the unsettled coaching situation and I see it even less.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#40 » by bluejerseyjinx » Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:11 pm

Mr B wrote:I don't see Romo wanting to go to the Jags. Because he's going to have to rework his contract to make any deal work he's going to have a lot of say in where he's traded to. The Jags are not a contending team with or without Romo. Because of that I don't see him being willing to be traded to the Jags.

I just threw it out as food for thought. Sometimes non cowboy fans come from a different angle and bring a different perspective to make you think about.

Return to The General NFL Board