Chargers set to officially announce move to L.A.

Moderator: bwgood77

bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,477

Re: Chargers set to officially announce move to L.A. 

Post#61 » by bwgood77 » Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:43 am

bleu wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Absolutely ridiculous. Stupid. Crazy. Why on earth would anyone do that? Even if you plan to stick with and cheer for the Rams, I just don't understand this.

Me neither but dockingsched has explained the thinking. It will boil down to how good they are. If they are good, there will be fans, and the small stadium will actually help I think. Up close access to players, likely sold out, and people that can't get tickets.

They just have to be better than the Rams and draft a QB soon to replace Rivers at some point, though he is far younger than Brady and younger than a bunch of others, so they could wait a bit on that.

It's like the Clippers. Once they became good, they became popular. They were probably unpopular moving there as well.

I think they will be much better than the Rams next year, and will have a sold out venue every game as opposed to the Rams. There will be times when there are more fans for the opposing team, but that should change within time. Many transplants from the east and midwest though to places like LA, SD and PHX, so they have their own teams, and if they come to town, they will all go.
Ballerhogger
RealGM
And1: 16,798

Post#62 » by Ballerhogger » Sun Jan 15, 2017 5:24 pm

bleu wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Absolutely ridiculous. Stupid. Crazy. Why on earth would anyone do that? Even if you plan to stick with and cheer for the Rams, I just don't understand this.

LA is still LA it takes winning to win the over the crowd. That's why lakers history of winning makes it Laker town forever.
Ballerhogger
RealGM

Post#63 » by Ballerhogger » Sun Jan 15, 2017 5:26 pm

Unlike the clippers and Laker tandem BOTH teams have a shot of being the football team of LA. They have 2 years to plant their seeds.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM
And1: 3,294

Post#64 » by bluejerseyjinx » Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:56 pm

Nice job San Diego. Got a stadium for your baseball team but not your football team. You got what you deserved and the NFL will never be the same without them. For me anyway. And as Much as I hate the Raiders, it will be as sad watching them move to Las Vegas. Just can't understand with the NFL making over billion per year they can't come up with a better solution. this is as upsetting to me as my team losing yesterday.
Ballerhogger
RealGM

Post#65 » by Ballerhogger » Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:23 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:Nice job San Diego. Got a stadium for your baseball team but not your football team. You got what you deserved and the NFL will never be the same without them. For me anyway. And as Much as I hate the Raiders, it will be as sad watching them move to Las Vegas. Just can't understand with the NFL making over billion per year they can't come up with a better solution. this is as upsetting to me as my team losing yesterday.

Yea I guess SD baseball love is underrated?? They haven't been any good for a while now..
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,974

Post#66 » by Otis Driftwood » Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:38 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
bleu wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Me neither but dockingsched has explained the thinking. It will boil down to how good they are. If they are good, there will be fans, and the small stadium will actually help I think. Up close access to players, likely sold out, and people that can't get tickets.

They just have to be better than the Rams and draft a QB soon to replace Rivers at some point, though he is far younger than Brady and younger than a bunch of others, so they could wait a bit on that.

It's like the Clippers. Once they became good, they became popular. They were probably unpopular moving there as well.

I think they will be much better than the Rams next year, and will have a sold out venue every game as opposed to the Rams. There will be times when there are more fans for the opposing team, but that should change within time. Many transplants from the east and midwest though to places like LA, SD and PHX, so they have their own teams, and if they come to town, they will all go.

It only took 25 years for the Clippers to get good. The Chargers can easily better that. Maybe.
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it."
Ballerhogger
RealGM

Post#67 » by Ballerhogger » Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:41 pm

Otis Driftwood wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
bleu wrote:

It only took 25 years for the Clippers to get good. The Chargers can easily better that. Maybe.

They will need be decent by the time stadium is finished. They don't have clippers luxury of going to venue who has a winning team on it historical. They will be boo and boo , if they suck badly. They go 8-8 it would be acceptable first year in the stadium.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,974

Post#68 » by Otis Driftwood » Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:49 pm

Ballerhogger wrote:
Otis Driftwood wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

They will need be decent by the time stadium is finished. They don't have clippers luxury of going to venue who has a winning team on it historical. They will be boo and boo , if they suck badly. They go 8-8 it would be acceptable first year in the stadium.

LA fans won't boo. They just won't go. To the games.

I'm curious how the new stadium will play out in all this. Having a barn that isn't the size of the Colliseum or the Rose Bowl should make a significant difference in terms of attendance on a short term basis. And it'll draw fans from other teams like the Death Star does here. But (also - like here) if the teams aren't good the stadium will be full of opposing fans. It took this season, Dak and Zeke to change that dynamic here.
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it."
Ballerhogger
RealGM

Post#69 » by Ballerhogger » Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:00 pm

Otis Driftwood wrote:
Ballerhogger wrote:
Otis Driftwood wrote:

LA fans won't boo. They just won't go. To the games.

I'm curious how the new stadium will play out in all this. Having a barn that isn't the size of the Colliseum or the Rose Bowl should make a significant difference in terms of attendance on a short term basis. And it'll draw fans from other teams like the Death Star does here. But (also - like here) if the teams aren't good the stadium will be full of opposing fans. It took this season, Dak and Zeke to change that dynamic here.

I still think playing at Dallas isn't bad place to go play. Sure it loud but it's nice and warm or cool inside pending on the weather. I'd want play their instead of Green Bay 10/10 times.

There will be full house to start the year off and when they suck then . It will be boos for a while then they will try trade their season tickets etc.
Ballerhogger
RealGM

Post#70 » by Ballerhogger » Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:02 pm

On side note I'm so glad I didn't make rams season tickets holder list.
BullseyeBond
Ballboy
And1: 5

Post#71 » by BullseyeBond » Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:30 pm

In my opinion the Chargers should opted to play in one the following venues:

1. Rose Bowl
2. Los Angeles Angeles baseball stadium
3. Los Angeles Dodgers baseball stadium

I do believe, the Rose Bowl was a the obvious choice.

Return to The General NFL Board