Bears 1985 defense

Moderator: bwgood77

Celtsfan1980
Assistant Coach
And1: 192

Bears 1985 defense 

Post#1 » by Celtsfan1980 » Wed Feb 1, 2017 4:45 pm

They played against two great quarterbacks:did very well on the road against Joe Montana, and not outstanding against Marino, who played far from his best game. Watching the Bears-Dolphins game on You Tube, they struggled against the short passes(more common today). Going against a good Dolphins offensive line they weren't able to pressure Marino constantly and looked rather mediocre. The word overrated comes to mind. Going up against the superior quarterbacks of today, how would they do?
Ballerhogger
RealGM
And1: 16,798

Re: Bears 1985 defense 

Post#2 » by Ballerhogger » Wed Feb 1, 2017 9:20 pm

Celtsfan1980 wrote:They played against two great quarterbacks:did very well on the road against Joe Montana, and not outstanding against Marino, who played far from his best game. Watching the Bears-Dolphins game on You Tube, they struggled against the short passes(more common today). Going against a good Dolphins offensive line they weren't able to pressure Marino constantly and looked rather mediocre. The word overrated comes to mind. Going up against the superior quarterbacks of today, how would they do?

The game has changed so much since 85. The 5 wide outs no backs is somthing bears never had to face. You can't hit as hard like 85. A lot new rules involving the QB. With proper 21st century training they certainly have the talent to be great.
RavenMad31
Senior
And1: 252

Post#3 » by RavenMad31 » Thu Feb 2, 2017 2:55 pm

Even under the old rules, I think the quick releases and spread formations would give them fits. If I recall, the 46 loaded nine or ten guys in the box. Overrated might be harsh since individually there was a lot of talent on that team, but outdated is probably fair.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM
And1: 3,276

Post#4 » by bluejerseyjinx » Thu Feb 2, 2017 6:01 pm

Outdated defense and scheme, yes. No way over rated however. best one year defense i have ever seen. Completely dominate from start of the season till the very end. I remember when they came into Big-D and embarrassed the living dog snot out of us. I think that was only one of 2 Cowboy games I didn't completely watch. It was so bad I had to leave the room and pull a Jwise and get wasted. I was young and stupid back then.
CDior510
Junior
And1: 105

Post#5 » by CDior510 » Thu Feb 2, 2017 11:34 pm

There defense was revolutionary at the time. Guys were not passing as prolifically as they do now, but the Montana's, Marino's and Elway's. All teams they had problems with in years going forward. They were more underrated then over their personnel made the 46 defense great not the other way around. Walter The Fridge Perry, Mike Singletary, I mean these are all A1 level defensive stalwarts.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,974

Post#6 » by Otis Driftwood » Fri Feb 3, 2017 2:44 pm

I still say the 76 Steelers defense was the best one year Defense I've ever witnessed and I saw the 85 Bears dismantle the Cowboys live that year.
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it."
RavenMad31
Senior

Post#7 » by RavenMad31 » Sat Feb 4, 2017 12:18 am

Otis Driftwood wrote:I still say the 76 Steelers defense was the best one year Defense I've ever witnessed and I saw the 85 Bears dismantle the Cowboys live that year.

While the 1976 Steelers had a slim .4 PPG advantage on my 2000 Ravens during the regular season in a far less offense-friendly era, the Ravens gave up fewer points in four post season games (23), including a Super Bowl win, than the Steelers did in their playoff loss to the Raiders (24). I'll take that plus the ring over what the '76 Steelers did if you're looking for single season greatness. I also can't just sit and let someone talk up the Steelers without defending my own franchise's honor.
jackwindham
Sixth Man
And1: 732

Post#8 » by jackwindham » Sat Feb 4, 2017 8:14 am

Why are we assuming that the Bears would not have adapted their defense to the changing offenses? They're not going to keep loading the box if their opponents come out in spread formations.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,974

Post#9 » by Otis Driftwood » Sat Feb 4, 2017 3:13 pm

RavenMad31 wrote:
Otis Driftwood wrote:I still say the 76 Steelers defense was the best one year Defense I've ever witnessed and I saw the 85 Bears dismantle the Cowboys live that year.

While the 1976 Steelers had a slim .4 PPG advantage on my 2000 Ravens during the regular season in a far less offense-friendly era, the Ravens gave up fewer points in four post season games (23), including a Super Bowl win, than the Steelers did in their playoff loss to the Raiders (24). I'll take that plus the ring over what the '76 Steelers did if you're looking for single season greatness. I also can't just sit and let someone talk up the Steelers without defending my own franchise's honor.

Not diminishing what your lads did in 2000. Because that can't happen. They were phenomenal and I would actually give them the nod over the Bears in '85 (that should start some s*** but they were that damn good). But that stretch the Steel Curtain went on after Bradshaw got planted head first by Turkey Joe Jones is still in my mind the greatest defensive performance I've ever seen. And yeah - they finally ran out of offense against the Raiders (which made me happy as hell as a sidebar Raiders fan) but 28 points allowed and 5 shutouts in 9 games - no one has touched that.
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it."
RavenMad31
Senior

Post#10 » by RavenMad31 » Sat Feb 4, 2017 4:58 pm

Otis Driftwood wrote:
RavenMad31 wrote:

Not diminishing what your lads did in 2000. Because that can't happen. They were phenomenal and I would actually give them the nod over the Bears in '85 (that should start some s*** but they were that damn good). But that stretch the Steel Curtain went on after Bradshaw got planted head first by Turkey Joe Jones is still in my mind the greatest defensive performance I've ever seen. And yeah - they finally ran out of offense against the Raiders (which made me happy as hell as a sidebar Raiders fan) but 28 points allowed and 5 shutouts in 9 games - no one has touched that.

Now this starts to get into dangerous territory of splitting hairs and splitting split hairs, but that 1976 team played five teams above .500 to begin the season and were 1-4. Those last nine games were all against sub-.500 teams. Granted, the Ravens didn't manage to shut out any offensive powerhouses in 2000, but the shutout vs. Pittsburgh was at least earned against a 9-7 football team. The Broncos and Raiders were the second and third ranked offenses respectively in 2000 and the Ravens gave up 6 combined points in those two playoff games. If not for a kick return for a TD, they'd have pitched the first ever Super Bowl shutout (which is where I have to make a concession to the '74 Steelers as only tying for best Super Bowl defensive performance).
Celtsfan1980
Assistant Coach
And1: 192

Post#11 » by Celtsfan1980 » Sat Feb 4, 2017 9:10 pm

To carry Terry Bradshaw to a dynasty is the greatest achievement any defense has had. For teams that won it one year I clearly would take Baltimore, but give me a defense that wins many Championships over those that win one.

Return to The General NFL Board