Patriots now the 2nd greatest franchise in history?

Moderator: bwgood77

therealbig3
RealGM
And1: 15,095

Re: Patriots now the 2nd greatest franchise in history? 

Post#21 » by therealbig3 » Wed Feb 8, 2017 4:19 am

bluejerseyjinx wrote:I come in here to get away from what I have to hear all day long, and its the same damn thing. Time to start talking about free agency or the draft, or take a vacation till the draft. Refuse to chat about the Patsie's. Over it and done with it. Ready to go back talking about the other 31 teams, except the Egals and Redskins of course.

Lol, you don't have to click on the thread, read through it, and then reply to it complaining about said thread existing.

The title of the thread is pretty clear with regards to what's being discussed, so if you don't like the topic, nobody's making you open it. Just don't click on it lmao.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics
And1: 14,438

Post#22 » by Cactus Jack » Wed Feb 8, 2017 4:23 am

bluejerseyjinx wrote:I come in here to get away from what I have to hear all day long, and its the same damn thing. Time to start talking about free agency or the draft, or take a vacation till the draft. Refuse to chat about the Patsie's. Over it and done with it. Ready to go back talking about the other 31 teams, except the Egals and Redskins of course.

Even your beloved Seahawks?? :P
Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics
And1: 14,438

Post#23 » by Cactus Jack » Wed Feb 8, 2017 4:28 am

therealbig3 wrote:

Lol, you don't have to click on the thread, read through it, and then reply to it complaining about said thread existing.

Just don't click on it lmao.

He's a closet Pats fan. :wink:
Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,974

Post#24 » by Otis Driftwood » Wed Feb 8, 2017 3:12 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:
therealbig3 wrote:Come on bro, no need to react like that. Explain how I'm being unreasonable? Up until 1933, the champion was based on RS record. I don't see how that's valid to include anything pre-1933 at all when discussing franchise championships. Best RS record doesn't prove a thing and doesn't warrant a team to be considered a "champion".

Back then it did. pretty simple. Plus, that's not uncommon in other sports. Soccer in many leagues across Europe use this very philosophy. America really is the only country that says you must have a playoff system to define a champion. College football until just recently??

therealbig3 wrote:And until the SB era (1966-present), you had two separate leagues that had their own playoffs and their own championships. Again, don't see how that's valid to include...that's like adding conference championships to a team's total championships. The SB era is when there was finally an ultimate championship game that was played by the winners of their respective league (now known as the AFC and NFC). That's really the only time it becomes valid to count championships, because there actually was a common one that everyone played for.

This is true. But, you can't just ignore those prior years. You asked about the history of the NFL. I'm identifying all of it. Not some self-imposed era. You could of phrased it a different way (SB era only). But, it wasn't emphasized.

Yep. History is all encompassing. And the Packers own it.

As far as the SB era, it's fair for now to call the the best. Until the Cowboys win three or four more.

8-) 8-) 8-)
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it."
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM
And1: 3,282

Post#25 » by bluejerseyjinx » Wed Feb 8, 2017 4:08 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:

Even your beloved Seahawks?? :P

Yes, even the Sea Hawks. Its sickening living in New England sometimes. :curse: :rolleyes: :sour: :
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#26 » by bluejerseyjinx » Wed Feb 8, 2017 4:23 pm

therealbig3 wrote:

The title of the thread is pretty clear with regards to what's being discussed, so if you don't like the topic, nobody's making you open it. Just don't click on it lmao.

Excuse me for my mistake. I forgot that the folks from the Commonwealth Of Massachusetts have one arm longer than the other so they can pat themselves on the back and tell everyone how great they are. :nod:
Ballerhogger
RealGM
And1: 16,798

Post#27 » by Ballerhogger » Wed Feb 8, 2017 5:22 pm

Otis Driftwood wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:
therealbig3 wrote:Come on bro, no need to react like that. Explain how I'm being unreasonable? Up until 1933, the champion was based on RS record. I don't see how that's valid to include anything pre-1933 at all when discussing franchise championships. Best RS record doesn't prove a thing and doesn't warrant a team to be considered a "champion".

Back then it did. pretty simple. Plus, that's not uncommon in other sports. Soccer in many leagues across Europe use this very philosophy. America really is the only country that says you must have a playoff system to define a champion. College football until just recently??

therealbig3 wrote:And until the SB era (1966-present), you had two separate leagues that had their own playoffs and their own championships. Again, don't see how that's valid to include...that's like adding conference championships to a team's total championships. The SB era is when there was finally an ultimate championship game that was played by the winners of their respective league (now known as the AFC and NFC). That's really the only time it becomes valid to count championships, because there actually was a common one that everyone played for.

This is true. But, you can't just ignore those prior years. You asked about the history of the NFL. I'm identifying all of it. Not some self-imposed era. You could of phrased it a different way (SB era only). But, it wasn't emphasized.

As far as the SB era, it's fair for now to call the the best. Until the Cowboys win three or four more.

8-) 8-) 8-)

Win a playoff game first! Yea yea I know my team hasn't been close since 2010 .. Yea yea.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,974

Post#28 » by Otis Driftwood » Wed Feb 8, 2017 6:07 pm

Ballerhogger wrote:
Otis Driftwood wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:Back then it did. pretty simple. Plus, that's not uncommon in other sports. Soccer in many leagues across Europe use this very philosophy. America really is the only country that says you must have a playoff system to define a champion. College football until just recently??

8-) 8-) 8-)

Win a playoff game first! Yea yea I know my team hasn't been close since 2010 .. Yea yea.

My patience is soon to be rewarded. As soon as we get a pass rush.
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it."
dr3am
RealGM
And1: 10,485

Post#29 » by dr3am » Wed Feb 8, 2017 6:12 pm

I would agree their the 2nd best now. My list...

1. Steelers
2. Patriots
3. 49ers
4. Cowboys
5. Packers

Sent from my HTC One M9 using RealGM mobile app
LAKESHOW
RealGM
And1: 4,190

Post#30 » by LAKESHOW » Wed Feb 8, 2017 7:45 pm

I give em props. But why did they fire the 2 ball boys? A franchise that fires employees to cover up a lie. Is not a "great" franchise
Home of the 17 Time World Champions
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,462

Post#31 » by bwgood77 » Wed Feb 8, 2017 8:20 pm

They've had a nice stretch, with some good fortune. Of course some of that good fortune was likely because of spygate and all that, but despite that, they have had a solid qb, coach and overall team for over 15 years. Not bad.

I don't know of any of the other storied franchises like the Cowboys, Steeler, Packers, 49ers, etc, having embarrassing beatdowns in Super Bowls like that 46-10.

They might be top 5, and for newer fans, probably rank a little higher.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#32 » by bluejerseyjinx » Thu Feb 9, 2017 4:26 pm

Most Patriot fans only want to talk about the NFL 2001 to present. They hate to talk about their first 43 years and the success any teams had before then. Quite sad to not give credit to the many great and outstanding teams that have cemented their histories decades prior.
therealbig3
RealGM

Post#33 » by therealbig3 » Thu Feb 9, 2017 10:35 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:Most Patriot fans only want to talk about the NFL 2001 to present. They hate to talk about their first 43 years and the success any teams had before then. Quite sad to not give credit to the many great and outstanding teams that have cemented their histories decades prior.

Um, if we were just talking 2001 to present, then they're EASILY the GOAT...which nobody would argue.

If we look at the SB era, I think the only team with an argument over them is the Steelers, because they have more championships.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#34 » by bluejerseyjinx » Thu Feb 9, 2017 11:30 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:
therealbig3 wrote:

Excuse me for my mistake. I forgot that the folks from the Commonwealth Of Massachusetts have one arm longer than the other so they can pat themselves on the back and tell everyone how great they are. :nod:

And just like the energizer bunny, it goes on and on and on.
therealbig3
RealGM

Post#35 » by therealbig3 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:07 am

The point is, who's just trying to limit this to 2001? Let's talk the entire SB era.

Only one team has had more success in that time: the Steelers.
Ballerhogger
RealGM
And1: 16,798

Post#36 » by Ballerhogger » Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:31 pm

The super bowl classics is on NFL network so far back to back Patriot games. Lol

Return to The General NFL Board