bluejerseyjinx
RealGM
And1: 3,284

Re: Current quarterbacks 

Post#21 » by bluejerseyjinx » Tue Sep 5, 2017 4:13 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:Interesting Read on QB's & predicting success

Read on Twitter

QB's drafted since '99
(MAVPY stands for Modified Approximate Value Per Year.)

If you aren’t familiar with MAVPY, in very general terms, a MAVPY of around 4 is NFL starter level, while a MAVPY of 8 is around Pro Bowl level. Keep in mind that MAVPY is an average of a player’s outputs over his career.

A little shocked at who's at the top of the list. :wink: :D

A little shocked. The rest of us are in cardiac arrest.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics
And1: 14,438

Post#22 » by Cactus Jack » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:39 pm

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-nfl-qb-rankings-by-pff-grade-after-week-7

According to PFF, these are the grades for QB's through the first 7 weeks.

1. Tom Brady (92.1)

2. Drew Brees (87.0)

3. Russell Wilson (86.9) :o 8-)

4. Alex Smith (86.3)

5. Carson Wentz (85.6)

6. Aaron Rodgers (84.9)

7. Tyrod Taylor (84.4)

8. Marcus Mariota (83.0)

9. Jameis Winston (82.6)

10. Matt Ryan (81.1)

11. Andy Dalton (80.9)

12. Dak Prescott (80.6)

13. Kirk Cousins (79.4)

14. Ben Roethlisberger (79.1)

15. Derek Carr (79.0)

16. Josh McCown (76.4)

17. Eli Manning (76.3)

18. Blake Bortles (75.8)

19. Carson Palmer (75.7)

20. Philip Rivers (75.0)

21. Case Keenum (74.8)

22. Jared Goff (73.1)

23. Cam Newton (72.6)

24. Mitchell Trubisky (72.0)

25. Matt Stafford (71.8)

26. Mike Glennon (71.7)

27. Brian Hoyer (71.0)

28. Jacoby Brissett (69.7)

29. DeShaun Watson (69.2) :o

30. Jay Cutler (68.8)

31. Joe Flacco (68.0)

32. Trevor Siemian (66.1)

33. Kevin Hogan (49.4)

34. Deshone Kizer (44.0)

Some real surprises. Seeing Watson graded out towards the bottom is a little puzzling. :dontknow:

I guess even I underrate Wilson to a large degree. :oops:
Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over
laika
Analyst
And1: 1,996

Post#23 » by laika » Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:12 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-nfl-qb-rankings-by-pff-grade-after-week-7

According to PFF, these are the grades for QB's through the first 7 weeks.

1. Tom Brady (92.1)

2. Drew Brees (87.0)

3. Russell Wilson (86.9) :o 8-)

29. DeShaun Watson (69.2) :o

30. Jay Cutler (68.8)

31. Joe Flacco (68.0)

32. Trevor Siemian (66.1)

33. Kevin Hogan (49.4)

34. Deshone Kizer (44.0)

Some real surprises. Seeing Watson graded out towards the bottom is a little puzzling. :dontknow:

I guess even I underrate Wilson to a large degree. :oops:

Wilson's rating is fine since playing without an offensive line is pretty tough. It's hard to even imagine how Watson is rated that low though.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#24 » by Cactus Jack » Wed Nov 1, 2017 9:26 pm

FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,007

Post#25 » by FNQ » Wed Nov 1, 2017 9:38 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:Image

The GOAT, a short game manager, a tall game manager, and the GOAT under 6'

Seriously though, how great has Alex Smith been? Only took a decade of development but man, he looks the part of a top end QB these days. With Rodgers hurt.. I think this is how I rank QBs performance this year as well. Watson deserves to be a part of this group as well, but he has only started 6 games.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#26 » by FNQ » Wed Nov 1, 2017 9:41 pm

More baffling to me than Watson's rank is Tyrod Taylor and Andy Dalton.
I get that Watson has benefit from one of the best possession WR in the league and one of the most explosive, big play guys in the league. But I cant imagine a scenario where anyone says that Tyrod and Dalton have been better individual players than Watson has.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#27 » by Cactus Jack » Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:08 am

Read on Twitter
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#28 » by bluejerseyjinx » Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:11 am

Cactus Jack wrote:
Read on Twitter

Must come from Seattle homers in a Seattle publication, :wink:
hermes
RealGM
And1: 24,568

Post#29 » by hermes » Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:34 pm

sam bradford, if he gets back healthy, will likely be available - don't see the vikes bringing him back
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,974

Post#30 » by Otis Driftwood » Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:25 pm

All these numbers and stats are nice and help sort things out somewhat. But at some point, the eye test has to be factored in. There is absolutely no way in hell I would ever rank Andy Dalton or Jameis Winston above Dak Prescott as PFF does... even through Week 7 of this season. That's ludicrous.
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it."
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#31 » by bluejerseyjinx » Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:39 pm

Otis Driftwood wrote:All these numbers and stats are nice and help sort things out somewhat. But at some point, the eye test has to be factored in. There is absolutely no way in hell I would ever rank Andy Dalton or Jameis Winston above Dak Prescott as PFF does... even through Week 7 of this season. That's ludicrous.

So much for Dak having a sophmore slump like so many in here predicted.
bmurph128
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,625

Post#32 » by bmurph128 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:46 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Otis Driftwood wrote:All these numbers and stats are nice and help sort things out somewhat. But at some point, the eye test has to be factored in. There is absolutely no way in hell I would ever rank Andy Dalton or Jameis Winston above Dak Prescott as PFF does... even through Week 7 of this season. That's ludicrous.

So much for Dak having a sophmore slump like so many in here predicted.

Yea I was wrong about Dak.

After watching him this year he's at the top of the 2nd tier of QBs IMO - ahead of the likes of Roethlisberger and Russell Wilson
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#33 » by Cactus Jack » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:00 pm

bmurph128 wrote:Yea I was wrong about Dak.

After watching him this year he's at the top of the 2nd tier of QBs IMO - ahead of the likes of...Russell Wilson

Man you really hate him. :lol:
bmurph128
Lead Assistant

Post#34 » by bmurph128 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:11 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:

After watching him this year he's at the top of the 2nd tier of QBs IMO - ahead of the likes of...Russell Wilson

Obviously that's not untrue. But Dak's stats this year allow for that statement to be backed by some actual evidence too.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#35 » by Cactus Jack » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:50 pm

bmurph128 wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:

Obviously that's not untrue. But Dak's stats this year allow for that statement to be backed by some actual evidence too.

Idk man. Considering Russ doesnt have a line or running game. He pretty much has to carry the offense each week. Literally.
bmurph128
Lead Assistant

Post#36 » by bmurph128 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:01 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:
bmurph128 wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:Man you really hate him. :lol:

Idk man. Considering Russ doesnt have a line or running game. He pretty much has to carry the offense each week. Literally.

Defense.

Most of what Wilson is known for, and even this year, is his 4th quarter play. If you take Seattle's defense away and replace them with a league average defense, Seattle is getting blown out most games because the offense is bad for the first 2-3 quarters of most games.

Wilson is a really good player - and as much as I hate to admit it, there's not many QBs I'd rather have in the 4th quarter - but that's only one quarter.

I'm guessing you think Baldwin is better than Dez, and IMO Graham is definitely a nice weapon. The OL isn't great, but Wilson's also never been a great pocket passing QB...every game I watch he starts to bail from the pocket even if he's not under pressure.

Just my opinion, but a great defense is the best friend of a great QB. If I had to choose between Seattle's defense or Dallas' offense (aside from Dak), both at full strength, I'm taking Seattle's defense every time.

So yes, Wilson does have to carry the offense each week - but other great QBs in NFL history have had to carry their entire teams because the defense was so bad. Dak has no control over the defense and it's the main reason Dallas won't win anything this year.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#37 » by Cactus Jack » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:32 pm

bmurph128 wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:
bmurph128 wrote:

Defense.

Most of what Wilson is known for, and even this year, is his 4th quarter play. If you take Seattle's defense away and replace them with a league average defense, Seattle is getting blown out most games because the offense is bad for the first 2-3 quarters of most games.

Wilson is a really good player - and as much as I hate to admit it, there's not many QBs I'd rather have in the 4th quarter - but that's only one quarter.

I'm guessing you think Baldwin is better than Dez, and IMO Graham is definitely a nice weapon. The OL isn't great, but Wilson's also never been a great pocket passing QB...every game I watch he starts to bail from the pocket even if he's not under pressure.

Just my opinion, but a great defense is the best friend of a great QB. If I had to choose between Seattle's defense or Dallas' offense (aside from Dak), both at full strength, I'm taking Seattle's defense every time.

So yes, Wilson does have to carry the offense each week - but other great QBs in NFL history have had to carry their entire teams because the defense was so bad. Dak has no control over the defense and it's the main reason Dallas won't win anything this year.

I actually think both are very comparable QB's. If you look at Russ' first couple of years & Dak's, both have had elite RB's to rely on (Marshawn & Zeke). Obviously, Dak has had the great offensive line. While Russ has had a great defense. The advantage that Russ has over Dak, is that he's able to escape just about any bad situation. Both are accurate & mobile. But, Russ also has a stronger arm & is able to survive without a good line because of his Houdini act.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#38 » by FNQ » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:33 pm

Dak has had the benefit of playing behind one of the best OL in football - except for when Tyron Smith sits - and Russell has had to play through some of the worst in football.. so while Dak has had time to comfortably scan, Russ is running for his life and making things happen. I think if you swapped them right now, the Cowboys are better and the Seahawks are much, much worse.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#39 » by Cactus Jack » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:37 pm

FNQ wrote:Dak has had the benefit of playing behind one of the best OL in football - except for when Tyron Smith sits - and Russell has had to play through some of the worst in football.. so while Dak has had time to comfortably scan, Russ is running for his life and making things happen. I think if you swapped them right now, the Cowboys are better and the Seahawks are much, much worse.

Yeah, Dak behind our line would be injured & watching from the sidelines. :lol:
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#40 » by Cactus Jack » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:56 am

Read on Twitter

Return to The General NFL Board