Former Pat's Tight End Hernandez Commits Suicide

Moderator: bwgood77

righterwriter
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,536

Re: OT: Former Pat's Tight End Hernandez Commits Suicide 

Post#21 » by righterwriter » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:33 pm

He didn't willfully throw it all away. He was a mentally ill large man that could play football at a high level. Someone that is a sociopathic violent criminal usually isn't doing destructive things by choice but by compulsion. Just like a normal person doesn't make the choice to not kill that person for looking at them funny, Hernandez didn't really have the choice NOT to attack someone as that was the way he was wired.

It's absolutely not an excuse, as these people need to either be institutionalized and hopefully rehabilitated from a young age or simply put out the back and shot when all else fails so that innocent people don't have to suffer, but it should bear some greater understanding about psychological afflictions.
Illmatic12
RealGM
And1: 8,459

Post#22 » by Illmatic12 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:33 pm

What a shame..
ALL HAIL
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,213

Post#23 » by ALL HAIL » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:34 pm

lambchop wrote:
ALL HAIL wrote:If there are people on this earth who love you, suicide is the ultimate act of selfishness.

I'm not surprised by this at all, because Hernandez seemed to only always think of himself anyway.

He was a punk bitch for taking innocent peoples' lives, and, now, IMO, he's outdone himself, too weak to bear the mental weight of his wife and daughter struggling on the outside, too weak to look at himself in the mirror and see a man who needs repentance.

"Thug" culture is a disease. The idolatry of ignorance isn't, and has never been, "fly".

Imo it's usually a rational decision based on the fact that you feel that your life is no longer worth living. However, more often that not it is a result of the fear of a certain feeling or situation that might not even have occurred yet. And your mind "tricks" you into believing that dying would be better than having to go through the emotional pain you can already see coming.

If people love you, it's selfish. Period.

Why hurt those who love you? Death and mourning is hard.
jonjames
Veteran
And1: 1,757

Post#24 » by jonjames » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:40 pm

9Rodman1 wrote:I know he was a scumbag and all but man, I can never be positive about someones death knowing that their soul is in torment forever.
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#25 » by The_Hater » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:43 pm

RaptorsLife wrote:Really don't make no sense. Have everything in life but throwing it away

When you're a really bad person, money and fame isn't always going to turn you into a good person.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,905

Post#26 » by BlazersBroncos » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:46 pm

He didn't willfully throw it all away. He was a mentally ill large man that could play football at a high level. Someone that is a sociopathic violent criminal usually isn't doing destructive things by choice but by compulsion. Just like a normal person doesn't make the choice to not kill that person for looking at them funny, Hernandez didn't really have the choice NOT to attack someone as that was the way he was wired.

The circumstances behind the Lloyd case show clear premeditation and a violent actor who was fully mentally cognizant. He assassinated Lloyd because Lloyd knew about the double homicide and other various actions that Hernandez was getting into. He was a clear minded sociopath. I think there is a better argument for compulsion and 'in the heat of the moment' type excuse for what OJ did than what Aaron did. And lets not forget that he never admitted guilt in the court of law.

The world is filled with sociopaths but not all act out in violent ways. That's on the person, that's on the ego. Hernandez was the wort kind of person and better yet, a coward that took the easy way out rather than deal with the realities of his crimes and maybe even come to terms with himself and better himself in prison.
bryanwithawhy
Pro Prospect
And1: 581

Post#27 » by bryanwithawhy » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:48 pm

righterwriter wrote:He didn't willfully throw it all away. He was a mentally ill large man that could play football at a high level. Someone that is a sociopathic violent criminal usually isn't doing destructive things by choice but by compulsion. Just like a normal person doesn't make the choice to not kill that person for looking at them funny, Hernandez didn't really have the choice NOT to attack someone as that was the way he was wired.

It's absolutely not an excuse, as these people need to either be institutionalized and hopefully rehabilitated from a young age or simply put out the back and shot when all else fails so that innocent people don't have to suffer, but it should bear some greater understanding about psychological afflictions.

Never in my wildest dreams did I imagine REALGM to have the most nuanced, fair, and accurate take on Aarron Hernandez. You are 100% right and people need to do some reading on the illusion of free will. If you consistently make good choices you should be thanking the genetic/environmental lottery.

Think of this thought experiment -- taken from Sam Harris:

Who is the first retired NBA player that comes to your mind?

Did you say John Stockton? Probably not. But, you know who John Stockton is. Did you make the choice to say the player you first thought of? Or did it just automatically come to your attention?
Jeff Bezos says that if Amazon has a good quarter it’s because of work they did 3, 4, 5 years ago—not
because they did a good job that quarter.
bryanwithawhy
Pro Prospect

Post#28 » by bryanwithawhy » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:53 pm

BlazersBroncos wrote:

The circumstances behind the Lloyd case show clear premeditation and a violent actor who was fully mentally cognizant. He assassinated Lloyd because Lloyd knew about the double homicide and other various actions that Hernandez was getting into. He was a clear minded sociopath. I think there is a better argument for compulsion and 'in the heat of the moment' type excuse for what OJ did than what Aaron did. And lets not forget that he never admitted guilt in the court of law.

A decision being premeditated doesn't not mean he had control over that decision. Seriously, do some reading on the illusion of free will. It will make you appreciate what you have and have more sympathy to those who aren't as fortunate.
Jeff Bezos says that if Amazon has a good quarter it’s because of work they did 3, 4, 5 years ago—not
baldur
RealGM
And1: 12,369

Post#29 » by baldur » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:57 pm

"life serve without the possibility of parole"

he did the best for himself.
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,886

Post#30 » by MotownMadness » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:06 pm

People trying to make excuses for this POS. He wanted to be a gang banger thug type and had no remorse for other people. I think a lot of his hate started when he lost his dad but regardless he's just wired to be violent as hell and I don't feel sorry for him at all. Even his wife helped him try and destroy the gun. Only one I feel bad for his little girl.
ItsThatEasy
Analyst
And1: 5,031

Post#31 » by ItsThatEasy » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:06 pm

The idea that his suicide was "the best thing to do" is sickening.

He has a daughter.

Even while serving a life sentence he could've been there emotionally for his daughter and used his own issues as an example of what NOT to do for her. Growing up fatherless is not ideal. There's plenty of people in prison who turned their life around and remain in contact with their children daily, able to guide them from afar.

It's selfish, plain and simple.
Blazerbob
Freshman
And1: 14

Re: Aaron Hernandez Found Dead Apparent Suicide 

Post#32 » by Blazerbob » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:11 pm

Good riddance.
Scalabrine
RealGM
And1: 7,337

Post#33 » by Scalabrine » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:12 pm

ALL HAIL wrote:
lambchop wrote:
ALL HAIL wrote:If there are people on this earth who love you, suicide is the ultimate act of selfishness.

I'm not surprised by this at all, because Hernandez seemed to only always think of himself anyway.

He was a punk bitch for taking innocent peoples' lives, and, now, IMO, he's outdone himself, too weak to bear the mental weight of his wife and daughter struggling on the outside, too weak to look at himself in the mirror and see a man who needs repentance.

"Thug" culture is a disease. The idolatry of ignorance isn't, and has never been, "fly".

Imo it's usually a rational decision based on the fact that you feel that your life is no longer worth living. However, more often that not it is a result of the fear of a certain feeling or situation that might not even have occurred yet. And your mind "tricks" you into believing that dying would be better than having to go through the emotional pain you can already see coming.

Well by that logic, killing people (thus doing life behind bars) is selfish too.
Go Knicks!
bryanwithawhy
Pro Prospect

Post#34 » by bryanwithawhy » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:13 pm

MotownMadness wrote:People trying to make excuses for this POS. He wanted to be a gang banger thug type and had no remorse for other people. I think a lot of his hate started when he lost his dad but regardless he's just wired to be violent as hell and I don't feel sorry for him at all. Even his wife helped him try and destroy the gun. Only one I feel bad for his little girl.

So you admit he was wired to be violet as hell. (Something he doesn't have control over.) Yet, you have no compassion for him. Sounds like you are not wired to be intellectually honest about the issue. I feel sympathy for you.

The following is true:

1. Aaron Hernandez is a bad person.
2. Aarron Hernandez didn't choose* to do what he did. (*Free will is an illusion)
3. I feel sympathy for Aaron Hernandez.

Your decision making is comprised of two things -- both the person has nothing to do with. The first is your genetic makeup. The second is who your parents, siblings and friends are. You are shaped by environmental factors and genetics that you have no control over.
ALL HAIL
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,213

Post#35 » by ALL HAIL » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:18 pm

Scalabrine wrote:
ALL HAIL wrote:
lambchop wrote:

Well by that logic, killing people (thus doing life behind bars) is selfish too.

I am completely anti-jail, but going to jail, even forever, is not suicide.
Laimbeer
RealGM
And1: 14,077

Post#36 » by Laimbeer » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:18 pm

ItsThatEasy wrote:I idea that his suicide was "the best thing to do" is sickening.

He has a daughter.

Even while serving a life sentence he could've been there emotionally for his daughter and used his own issues as an example of what NOT to do for her. Growing up fatherless is not ideal. There's plenty of people in prison who turned their life around and remain in contact with their children daily, able to guide them from afar.

From prison? He'd have been a burden to her, not an asset.
The Moose
General Manager
And1: 5,119

Post#37 » by The Moose » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:22 pm

ALL HAIL wrote:
lambchop wrote:

And you wouldn't consider it selfish to ask someone to keep living when their own existence is crushingly painful, just for your sake?
ItsThatEasy
Analyst
And1: 5,031

Post#38 » by ItsThatEasy » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:24 pm

Laimbeer wrote:
ItsThatEasy wrote:I idea that his suicide was "the best thing to do" is sickening.

He has a daughter.

You have no idea whether or not he would've used his time away to encourage his daughter to be the best she could be. Your parent is still your parent and they can love you despite their own flaws.
mtron929
Head Coach
And1: 5,269

Post#39 » by mtron929 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:25 pm

Turner4MVP wrote:
righterwriter wrote:He didn't willfully throw it all away. He was a mentally ill large man that could play football at a high level. Someone that is a sociopathic violent criminal usually isn't doing destructive things by choice but by compulsion. Just like a normal person doesn't make the choice to not kill that person for looking at them funny, Hernandez didn't really have the choice NOT to attack someone as that was the way he was wired.

Never in my wildest dreams did I imagine REALGM to have the most nuanced, fair, and accurate take on Aarron Hernandez. You are 100% right and people need to do some reading on the illusion of free will. If you consistently make good choices you should be thanking the genetic/environmental lottery.

Think of this thought experiment -- taken from Sam Harris:

Who is the first retired NBA player that comes to your mind?

Did you say John Stockton? Probably not. But, you know who John Stockton is. Did you make the choice to say the player you first thought of? Or did it just automatically come to your attention?

Kind of agree. Pretty much every "process" is some combination of determinism and/or randomness. Free will does not come in anywhere. Life is akin to playing out a movie of your existence without you (or anyone) knowing the ending/future.
ProfessorJM
Starter
And1: 1,176

Post#40 » by ProfessorJM » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:26 pm

Laimbeer wrote:

He has a daughter.

I understand your perspective but who knows if Hernandez could have changed in prison and somehow been a positive influence going forward? Yeah, the realist in me says probably not but I am sure this happens with other criminals dealing with their children.

Return to The General NFL Board