Jed York needs history lessons

Moderator: bwgood77

bsjaffe6
Freshman
And1: 17

Jed York needs history lessons 

Post#1 » by bsjaffe6 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:14 pm

Jed York said the only way you win a Super Bowl is with a susperstar qb well thats false
the Redskins won 3 without one
the Ravens won 1 without one
the Steelers 5th win was without one really you could argue that all 6 where one without one
The giants won one without one
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics
And1: 14,449

Re: Jed York needs history lessons 

Post#2 » by Cactus Jack » Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:40 pm

By far my favorite owner! :D

Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over
RavenMad31
Senior
And1: 252

Post#3 » by RavenMad31 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:25 am

bsjaffe6 wrote:Jed York said the only way you win a Super Bowl is with a susperstar qb well thats false
the Redskins won 3 without one
the Ravens won 1 without one
the Steelers 5th win was without one really you could argue that all 6 where one without one
The giants won one without one

He's about 98 percent correct. When we were kids, it was true, that a great running game and defense was enough and that has held true until maybe the last fifteen years. I'd say this became more true around the time the Patriots beat the Colts by getting physical with their WRs and the Colts whined about it later. I believe that was when the NFL started with the "point of emphasis" stuff on pass interference. Since then, it is becoming increasingly difficult to succeed without a top notch QB. Look at the Texans. Hell, the Bengals have had serious contender level talent for a few years with an average QB and haven't won a playoff game, much less sniffed a SB. Heck, even the teams you mentioned from back then had a historically good defense and/or a historically good head coach to cover for their inadequacy at QB.
Let it be said that none of this is meant to imply that Jed York is not an idiot.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,974

Post#4 » by Otis Driftwood » Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:41 pm

This is a quarterback-driven league. Has been for awhile now. If the one you have is average or worse, you aren't going to win. As our buddies rooting for the Texans will attest - if your QB is incapable of making plays it doesn't matter how great your Defense is. You will require an inordinate amount of luck for sustained success.

If your QB isn't a superstar, he had damn sure better be close to being one. See Eli Manning.
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it."
bsjaffe6
Freshman
And1: 17

Post#5 » by bsjaffe6 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:12 pm

well lets take Joe Flacco he aint a superstar, he's above average but that's it he won his super bowl by being hot for the month of the play-offs Manning is another one above average yes he won with great individual players and a fabulous defense. if the Cowboys win one with Dak they will win it because of the other players not him
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#6 » by Otis Driftwood » Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:16 pm

Thanks for making my argument.

#AboveAverage
Celtsfan1980
Assistant Coach
And1: 192

Post#7 » by Celtsfan1980 » Mon May 1, 2017 12:24 am

During his first two Super Bowls I wouldn't consider Brady a superstar yet.
Manning was a superstar but his team clearly carried him to his last Super Bowl.
Raiders, Ravens, and Bucs come to mind. I wouldn't consider Phil Simms a superstar either.
I could argue Eli, Roethlisberger, Flacco, Wilson, and the very overrated Terry Bradshaw are borderline superstars.
On the other hand teams without a superstar quarterback usually don't win many Super Bowls.
RaoulDuke79
RealGM
And1: 4,165

Post#8 » by RaoulDuke79 » Mon May 1, 2017 12:31 am

Celtsfan1980 wrote:During his first two Super Bowls I wouldn't consider Brady a superstar yet.
Manning was a superstar but his team clearly carried him to his last Super Bowl.
Raiders, Ravens, and Bucs come to mind. I wouldn't consider Phil Simms a superstar either.
I could argue Eli, Roethlisberger, Flacco, Wilson, and the very overrated Terry Bradshaw are borderline superstars.
On the other hand teams without a superstar quarterback usually don't win many Super Bowls.

His defense won him his first Superbowl/MVP as well. IMO.
We watched the tragedy unfold. We did as we were told, we bought and sold. It was the greatest show on Earth...but then it was over.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#9 » by Otis Driftwood » Mon May 1, 2017 12:49 am

Celtsfan1980 wrote:During his first two Super Bowls I wouldn't consider Brady a superstar yet...

Neither was Montana when he won his first. Hindsight has to be part of the equation here.

Return to The General NFL Board