Rate your team's NFL draft

Moderator: bwgood77

bleu
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,146

Rate your team's NFL draft 

Post#1 » by bleu » Mon May 1, 2017 4:45 am

Tons of interesting moves and storylines from this year's draft, I'm still trying to decide how I feel about a lot of it. I'm curious how fans of the teams feel about the moves they made though. Give your NFL team's draft a grade and explain why.

Panthers - B+

I was definitely a bit bummed about the fact that we took a RB with our first round pick. I was really really hoping we wouldn't. But I do love McCaffery and I'm starting to come around on it, and I do think he helps the offense big time. I also wish we could have grabbed an OT with our early second round pick, but there wasn't a ton available there. I REALLY like the Curtis Samuel pick though. Moton is a great pickup who can play either guard or tackle, so that helps the o-line, I expect him to start right away. Then we addressed DE, CB, FB, and K needs.

Honestly, taking a RB in the top 10 aside, I'm in love with what the Panthers were able to do. Addressed literally every major need, and got some high value, high talent guys to do it. Hence, a solid B+
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics
And1: 14,399

Re: Rate your team's NFL draft 

Post#2 » by Cactus Jack » Mon May 1, 2017 5:39 am

B+

2nd Round
Malik McDowell (DT, Michigan State), Really love this pick. Pete compared him to Calais Campbell a lot. Could have easily been taken in the 1st round. But, team traded back & picked up 4 extra picks.

Ethan Pocic (OL, LSU), fits biggest need. Likely to be a guard but also played C in college. Happy with the pick.

3rd round
Shaq Griffin (CB, UCF), Could start at some point this year opposite Sherm. A Ball-hawk.

Delano Hill (S, Michigan), projected to be a SS. Provides depth behind Kam Chancellor.

Nazair Jones (DT, North Carolina), Big interior tackle. Again, love taking another lineman. Emphasis on getting back to a more physical team.

Amara Darboh (WR, Michigan), Bigger possession reciever.

4th Round
Tedric Thompson (S, Colorado), Another ball-hawk free safety. Needed depth.

6th & 7th Rounders are usually hit or miss practice squad types. So, I don't put much stock into those picks.
Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,970

Post#3 » by Otis Driftwood » Mon May 1, 2017 10:05 pm

I hate grading drafts... at least for a couple of years. But - based on needs and how they filled them, I give the Cowboys an A. They may have reached for Charlton but they almost had to at that point as all of the acknowledged top flight "edge rushers" were being taken. What pushes them to an "A" are the DB's they took. All have credentials... all have strong points as well as versatility, none appeared to be a reach at where they were drafted and all fill needs. What solidifies the "A" for me is taking Switzer. The kicking game just took on a different feel.

It's all speculation. We shall see.
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it."
bleu
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#4 » by bleu » Tue May 2, 2017 6:24 am

Otis Driftwood wrote:I hate grading drafts... at least for a couple of years. But - based on needs and how they filled them, I give the Cowboys an A. They may have reached for Charlton but they almost had to at that point as all of the acknowledged top flight "edge rushers" were being taken. What pushes them to an "A" are the DB's they took. All have credentials... all have strong points as well as versatility, none appeared to be a reach at where they were drafted and all fill needs. What solidifies the "A" for me is taking Switzer. The kicking game just took on a different feel.

I see what you're saying, and that's entirely fair. There have been times in the past where I was down on a Panthers draft class that turned out great, or vice versa. It's certainly too early to tell anything before we've even seen these guys suit up in the NFL, but I guess I'm just looking for initial knee-jerk reactions from the draft. Obviously the draft grades will most likely look much different 5 years from now, but I'm curious how fans feel about their own teams drafts.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#5 » by Cactus Jack » Tue May 2, 2017 6:34 am

bleu wrote:
Otis Driftwood wrote:I hate grading drafts... at least for a couple of years. But - based on needs and how they filled them, I give the Cowboys an A. They may have reached for Charlton but they almost had to at that point as all of the acknowledged top flight "edge rushers" were being taken. What pushes them to an "A" are the DB's they took. All have credentials... all have strong points as well as versatility, none appeared to be a reach at where they were drafted and all fill needs. What solidifies the "A" for me is taking Switzer. The kicking game just took on a different feel.

I see what you're saying, and that's entirely fair. There have been times in the past where I was down on a Panthers draft class that turned out great, or vice versa. It's certainly too early to tell anything before we've even seen these guys suit up in the NFL, but I guess I'm just looking for initial knee-jerk reactions from the draft. Obviously the draft grades will most likely look much different 5 years from now, but I'm curious how fans feel about their own teams drafts.

The draft we took Wilson, Wagner & Irvin, was given awful grades. I think Mel Kiper graded it out as a D/F lol.

:lol: Looking back, this **** is comedy gold!
bleu
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#6 » by bleu » Tue May 2, 2017 6:35 am

Cactus Jack wrote:
bleu wrote:

The draft we took Wilson, Wagner & Irvin, was given awful grades. I think Mel Kiper graded it out as a D/F lol.

:lol:

Don't forget my homeboy Robert Turbin! :wink:
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#7 » by Otis Driftwood » Tue May 2, 2017 12:15 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:
bleu wrote:

I remember all the "experts" dismissing Wilson as an afterthought. And that was more than they gave Wagner.

And - now Peter Schrager is now on the second table at NFLN. LOL!
bleu
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#8 » by bleu » Tue May 2, 2017 5:03 pm

Otis Driftwood wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:
bleu wrote:

I remember all the "experts" dismissing Wilson as an afterthought. And that was more than they gave Wagner.

Bobby Wagner was the most dominant college athlete I've ever witnessed. Of course, he was playing in the WAC, so any freak athlete can certainly dominate there. But Bobby was just special. His senior year he had 147 tackles and you could watch entire offenses shift directions to avoid entering his half of the field. Yet he would still get over and cause havoc.

Note to NFL "analysts": Just because you've never heard of a guy, doesn't mean he won't do well
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#9 » by Cactus Jack » Tue May 2, 2017 6:20 pm

Otis Driftwood wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:
bleu wrote:

How does that guy even have a job? lol
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#10 » by Otis Driftwood » Tue May 2, 2017 6:35 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:
Otis Driftwood wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:The draft we took Wilson, Wagner & Irvin, was given awful grades. I think Mel Kiper graded it out as a D/F lol.

Good question. I'd ask the same about Ian Rapaport and Adam Schefter. But that's just me.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#11 » by Cactus Jack » Tue May 2, 2017 6:51 pm

Otis Driftwood wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:
Otis Driftwood wrote:

Good question. I'd ask the same about Ian Rapaport and Adam Schefter. But that's just me.

Right, but at least Schefter & Rapaport are actually known as decent reporters. They break news. Schrager is just a personality. In the mold of a Skip Bayless. Just another loudmouth who gives his opinion on matters. ESPN just laid off a bunch of people. Yet, Stephen A. Smith & Max Kellerman get to keep their jobs because they get decent ratings for both being obnoxious personalities on TV. Crazy world we live in. :crazy:
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#12 » by Otis Driftwood » Tue May 2, 2017 9:37 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:
Otis Driftwood wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:How does that guy even have a job? lol

Right, but at least Schefter & Rapaport are actually known as decent reporters. They break news. ...

I know them more are plagerists who use hard working stiffs reports without giving credit where due... or guys who will throw s at the wall to see what sticks. Rapaport is still waiting for someone to produce that video of Dez in the Walmart parking lot. And while everyone else was reporting that Favre was definitely retired based on their conversations with Bus Cook, Schefter insisted he was on a plane heading to Minnesota for training camp.

Neither of them have any credibility with me.
RavenMad31
Senior
And1: 252

Post#13 » by RavenMad31 » Tue May 2, 2017 11:39 pm

B/B+ The Ravens drafted Marlon Humphrey, a CB in the first round. I assume he got injured the second his Ravens jersey touched his skin. If not, we need a corner that's worth a crap. I'm glad we didn't waste high picks on a WR. Joe Flacco is a good QB and he can make decent receivers look better. I don't care if we never have a superstar wideout. Bowser, Wormley and Williams from the early/mid rounds can all get pressure on the QB which is important when playing the Steelers. That Nico Siragusa has the look of a later round steal if he can find his way into some playing time.
Tussin33
Sophomore
And1: 38

Post#14 » by Tussin33 » Fri May 5, 2017 9:32 am

A+ We get the receiver we have been begging for since V-Jax left. I think Mike Williams can potentially become the best receiver in Chargers history. We followed our 1st round pick with back to back Guards. We got Forrest Lamp, a 1st round talent, in round 2. Then, we got Dan Feeney, a 2nd round talent, in round 3. We have needed help on the O-line probably just as long as we have needed that #1 receiver. We finally filled our needs on the offensive side of the ball. They followed that up with hard hitting Safety, Rayshawn Jenkins. He is reunited with his hard hitting brother Denzel Perryman. They played together for 2 years at Miami U and are good friends. They get another steal, this time in the 5th round. We got a 3rd round talent in Desmond King. He can play corner or safety but it looks like we somehow got our safeties of the future in rounds 4 and 5. Rounds 6 and 7 are whatever but we did take a Tackle in round 6. They didn't draft any of the guys I wanted when they were on the clock, but I've never been more satisfied leaving a draft in my entire Chargers fanhood.
LAKESHOW
RealGM
And1: 4,177

Post#15 » by LAKESHOW » Fri May 5, 2017 4:48 pm

I remember Irvin when he was playing JC ball. He was a bad dude back then as he is now.
Home of the 17 Time World Champions
hermes
RealGM
And1: 24,545

Post#16 » by hermes » Sat May 6, 2017 2:09 pm

the vikings came out pretty good for not having a first rounder. cook and elflein seem to be quality guys that can come in and contribute right away (especially cook). johnson fells a need on some defensive tackle depth and hopefully will be in on the rotation early

got some depth at some other spots (tight end, wr, guard, linebacker), including some potential kick returners

about the only things they didn't get done was getting another safety (one day they'll find a solid guy to pair with harrison smith - i hope), and the big one was not getting more offensive tackle help to put everyone at ease that tj clemmings isn't the top backup
bsjaffe6
Freshman
And1: 17

Post#17 » by bsjaffe6 » Fri May 19, 2017 7:16 pm

i Remember that Seattle draft and i laughed at the grades i was thinking B/B+ depending on Wilson's ability to lead the team

The Skins draft this year is C+ because several players have injury concerns and several players are not fits for the scheme run
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM
And1: 3,218

Post#18 » by bluejerseyjinx » Thu May 25, 2017 9:16 pm

A++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
bleu
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#19 » by bleu » Sun May 28, 2017 5:02 am

bluejerseyjinx wrote:A++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

BJJ, I envy your optimism. Why do you feel so good about the Cowboys draft? I like Taco, but it seems pretty average at first glance to me
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#20 » by Cactus Jack » Sun May 28, 2017 6:25 am

bleu wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:A++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

BJJ, I envy your optimism. Why do you feel so good about the Cowboys draft? I like Taco, but it seems pretty average at first glance to me

Bleu, when isn't he optimistic? :lol:

Return to The General NFL Board