Predict the playoffs 2017

Moderators: bwgood77, Icness

User avatar
bleu
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 6,325
And1: 1,085
Joined: Apr 24, 2007
       

Predict the playoffs 2017 

Post#1 » by bleu » Sun Jul 9, 2017 8:07 pm

I loved this thread last year, and it was fun to go back throughout the season and see how everyone's predictions played out. Curious to see what you are all thinking at this point in the offseason.


Here are my picks:

AFC North: Steelers
AFC East: Patriots
AFC South: Titans
AFC West: Chiefs
AFC Wildcard 1: Dolphins
AFC Wildcard 2: Raiders

NFC North: Packers
NFC East: Redskins
NFC South: Panthers
NFC West: Seahawks
NFC Wildcard 1: Cowboys
NFC Wildcard 2: Falcons
:football: COLLEGE FOOTBALL IS BACK!!! :football:
Join me on the NCAA Football board for college football week 3 discussion
viewtopic.php?f=142&t=1615253
User avatar
Cactus Jack
General Manager
Posts: 9,741
And1: 4,538
Joined: Feb 25, 2015
Location: Seattle
   

Re: Predict the playoffs 2017 

Post#2 » by Cactus Jack » Sun Jul 9, 2017 8:31 pm

bleu wrote:I loved this thread last year, and it was fun to go back throughout the season and see how everyone's predictions played out. Curious to see what you are all thinking at this point in the offseason.


Here are my picks:

AFC North: Steelers
AFC East: Patriots
AFC South: Titans
AFC West: Chiefs
AFC Wildcard 1: Dolphins
AFC Wildcard 2: Raiders

NFC North: Packers
NFC East: Redskins
NFC South: Panthers
NFC West: Seahawks
NFC Wildcard 1: Cowboys
NFC Wildcard 2: Falcons

Love the color scheme. 8-)
Quazza wrote:ALL FUTURE ERECTIONS WILL BE NAMED KEVIN FOR BEING SUCH A STAND UP GUY
User avatar
Cactus Jack
General Manager
Posts: 9,741
And1: 4,538
Joined: Feb 25, 2015
Location: Seattle
   

Re: Predict the playoffs 2017 

Post#3 » by Cactus Jack » Sun Jul 9, 2017 8:48 pm

AFC North: Steelers
AFC East: Patriots
AFC South: Titans
AFC West: Raiders
AFC Wildcard 1: Chiefs
AFC Wildcard 2: Broncos

NFC North: Lions
NFC East: Cowboys
NFC South: Falcons
NFC West: Seahawks
NFC Wildcard 1: Packers
NFC Wildcard 2:Bucs
Quazza wrote:ALL FUTURE ERECTIONS WILL BE NAMED KEVIN FOR BEING SUCH A STAND UP GUY
RavenMad31
Senior
Posts: 616
And1: 223
Joined: May 05, 2015
     

Re: Predict the playoffs 2017 

Post#4 » by RavenMad31 » Sun Jul 9, 2017 8:55 pm

AFC:
East: Patriots
North: Steelers
South: Titans
West: Chargers
WC: Chiefs
WC: Raiders

NFC:
East: Giants
North: Packers
South: Buccaneers
West: Seahawks
WC: Panthers
WC: Cowboys (or Eagles)

I had to go out on a limb somewhere and since in another thread, I mentioned the Chargers as a candidate to be a worst to first team in 2017, I chose them. Philly, Jacksonville and Carolina were other considerations for that.
RavenMad31
Senior
Posts: 616
And1: 223
Joined: May 05, 2015
     

Re: Predict the playoffs 2017 

Post#5 » by RavenMad31 » Sun Jul 9, 2017 8:57 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:AFC North: Steelers
AFC East: Patriots
AFC South: Texans
AFC West: Raiders
AFC Wildcard 1: Chiefs
AFC Wildcard 2: Ravens

NFC North: Lions
NFC East: Giants
NFC South: Panthers
NFC West: Seahawks
NFC Wildcard 1: Packers
NFC Wildcard 2: Cowboys


That Lions pick is a bold one.
User avatar
Cactus Jack
General Manager
Posts: 9,741
And1: 4,538
Joined: Feb 25, 2015
Location: Seattle
   

Re: Predict the playoffs 2017 

Post#6 » by Cactus Jack » Sun Jul 9, 2017 9:05 pm

RavenMad31 wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:AFC North: Steelers
AFC East: Patriots
AFC South: Texans
AFC West: Raiders
AFC Wildcard 1: Chiefs
AFC Wildcard 2: Ravens

NFC North: Lions
NFC East: Giants
NFC South: Panthers
NFC West: Seahawks
NFC Wildcard 1: Packers
NFC Wildcard 2: Cowboys


That Lions pick is a bold one.

Is it? They made the playoffs last year. Finished just a game behind Green Bay. Stafford is great. Plus, that division is usually up for grabs every year. Minnesota won it the year before. I think it's completely realistic to think Detroit can take that division. Green Bay will still make the playoffs. It's pretty much a given with Rodgers.
Quazza wrote:ALL FUTURE ERECTIONS WILL BE NAMED KEVIN FOR BEING SUCH A STAND UP GUY
RavenMad31
Senior
Posts: 616
And1: 223
Joined: May 05, 2015
     

Re: Predict the playoffs 2017 

Post#7 » by RavenMad31 » Sun Jul 9, 2017 9:18 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:
RavenMad31 wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:AFC North: Steelers
AFC East: Patriots
AFC South: Texans
AFC West: Raiders
AFC Wildcard 1: Chiefs
AFC Wildcard 2: Ravens

NFC North: Lions
NFC East: Giants
NFC South: Panthers
NFC West: Seahawks
NFC Wildcard 1: Packers
NFC Wildcard 2: Cowboys


That Lions pick is a bold one.

Is it? They made the playoffs last year. Finished just a game behind Green Bay. Stafford is great. Plus, that division is usually up for grabs every year. Minnesota won it the year before. I think it's completely realistic to think Detroit can take that division. Green Bay will still make the playoffs. It's pretty much a given with Rodgers.


Perhaps not. I guess it has more to do with one's initial reaction when you say "Detroit Lions" combined with the fact that this is the time of year where Green Bay is inked into the #1 slot in the North and considered a serious contender for the Super Bowl.
bluejerseyjinx
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,820
And1: 700
Joined: Oct 18, 2014
     

Re: Predict the playoffs 2017 

Post#8 » by bluejerseyjinx » Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:01 pm

Too much homerism and America's team hate in here. Can't do it but its truley laughable seeing all these wonderful, unbiased predictions, lmao.
User avatar
High 5
RealGM
Posts: 14,429
And1: 849
Joined: Apr 21, 2006

Re: Predict the playoffs 2017 

Post#9 » by High 5 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:17 pm

I see people are still sleeping on the Falcons. The team was one quarter away from one of the most dominant SB runs ever and they should be even better this season. But they won't even be a wild card? Interesting. Anything's possible with injuries of course, but there is not a more talented team.
User avatar
Cactus Jack
General Manager
Posts: 9,741
And1: 4,538
Joined: Feb 25, 2015
Location: Seattle
   

Re: Predict the playoffs 2017 

Post#10 » by Cactus Jack » Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:56 pm

High 5 wrote:I see people are still sleeping on the Falcons. The team was one quarter away from one of the most dominant SB runs ever and they should be even better this season. But they won't even be a wild card? Interesting. Anything's possible with injuries of course, but there is not a more talented team.

I just don't see how they recover. History shows that the losing team's don't make it back the following year. Add in the way in which they lost. Sorry to pile on. But, I see them struggling at least early on.

That division also looks good on paper. I expect Carolina to bounce back. Tampa is a team on the rise.
Quazza wrote:ALL FUTURE ERECTIONS WILL BE NAMED KEVIN FOR BEING SUCH A STAND UP GUY
User avatar
High 5
RealGM
Posts: 14,429
And1: 849
Joined: Apr 21, 2006

Re: Predict the playoffs 2017 

Post#11 » by High 5 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:14 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:I just don't see how they recover. History shows that the losing team's don't make it back the following year. Add in the way in which they lost. Sorry to pile on. But, I see them struggling at least early on.

That division also looks good on paper. I expect Carolina to bounce back. Tampa is a team on the rise.


I'm not even talking about making it back to the SB, though I believe they have as good a chance as anyone. I'm talking about people leaving them out of the playoffs entirely. Anyway, the Bills lost 4 SBs in a row. More recently, the Broncos got absolutely humiliated in the SB and followed it up with two 12-4 seasons and a SB of their own. There's no rule that says a SB loser has to fall apart like the Panthers. And if anything, the way we lost makes me that much more confident.

Tampa will be tough with their big weapons on offense. I'm not too worried about Carolina.
User avatar
bleu
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 6,325
And1: 1,085
Joined: Apr 24, 2007
       

Re: Predict the playoffs 2017 

Post#12 » by bleu » Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:12 pm

High 5 wrote:I see people are still sleeping on the Falcons. The team was one quarter away from one of the most dominant SB runs ever and they should be even better this season. But they won't even be a wild card? Interesting. Anything's possible with injuries of course, but there is not a more talented team.


Trust me, I 100% know where you're coming from on this. I went through this all last year, defending Carolina to the death and swearing there's no way they miss the playoffs. But the fact of the matter is it's very, very difficult to win and win consistently in the NFL. I wouldn't be surprised one bit if they went on another year and won 14 games. But I also wouldn't be surprised if they won 8.
:football: COLLEGE FOOTBALL IS BACK!!! :football:
Join me on the NCAA Football board for college football week 3 discussion
viewtopic.php?f=142&t=1615253
War Machine
Ballboy
Posts: 10
And1: 8
Joined: Jul 09, 2017

Re: Predict the playoffs 2017 

Post#13 » by War Machine » Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:14 am

The Dallas Cowboys will be worse this season, and that is a bummer. Picking the Giants to win the NFC East. Blah.
User avatar
High 5
RealGM
Posts: 14,429
And1: 849
Joined: Apr 21, 2006

Re: Predict the playoffs 2017 

Post#14 » by High 5 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:44 am

bleu wrote:
High 5 wrote:I see people are still sleeping on the Falcons. The team was one quarter away from one of the most dominant SB runs ever and they should be even better this season. But they won't even be a wild card? Interesting. Anything's possible with injuries of course, but there is not a more talented team.


Trust me, I 100% know where you're coming from on this. I went through this all last year, defending Carolina to the death and swearing there's no way they miss the playoffs. But the fact of the matter is it's very, very difficult to win and win consistently in the NFL. I wouldn't be surprised one bit if they went on another year and won 14 games. But I also wouldn't be surprised if they won 8.


Two very different situations IMO, but we'll see.
User avatar
bleu
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 6,325
And1: 1,085
Joined: Apr 24, 2007
       

Re: Predict the playoffs 2017 

Post#15 » by bleu » Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:33 am

High 5 wrote:
bleu wrote:
High 5 wrote:I see people are still sleeping on the Falcons. The team was one quarter away from one of the most dominant SB runs ever and they should be even better this season. But they won't even be a wild card? Interesting. Anything's possible with injuries of course, but there is not a more talented team.


Trust me, I 100% know where you're coming from on this. I went through this all last year, defending Carolina to the death and swearing there's no way they miss the playoffs. But the fact of the matter is it's very, very difficult to win and win consistently in the NFL. I wouldn't be surprised one bit if they went on another year and won 14 games. But I also wouldn't be surprised if they won 8.


Two very different situations IMO, but we'll see.


Lots of differences, but LOTS of similarities.

Both are NFC South teams
Both meteorically rose from ~.500 to NFL powerhouses
Neither have a super bowl victory
Both had good qb's who had uncharacteristically good, MVP seasons
Both far exceeded all expectations
Both lost when they absolutely should have won (Panthers being 15-1, and Falcons being up 28-3)


Again, I get your argument, and you could be absolutely right. They could go 14-2 on their way to a Super Bowl victory and I wouldn't be one bit surprised. But I can also see, and I personally feel like it is a bit more likely, that they have a hangover-type season where they win 8 or 9 games and miss the playoffs.
:football: COLLEGE FOOTBALL IS BACK!!! :football:
Join me on the NCAA Football board for college football week 3 discussion
viewtopic.php?f=142&t=1615253
bluejerseyjinx
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,820
And1: 700
Joined: Oct 18, 2014
     

Re: Predict the playoffs 2017 

Post#16 » by bluejerseyjinx » Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:14 pm

AFC North - Pittsburgh
AFC East - New England
AFC South - Tennessee
AFC West - Kansas City
AFC WC - Oakland
AFC WC - Miami

NFC East - Dallas
NFC North - Green Bay
NFC South - New Orleans
NFC West - Arizona
NFC WC - Tampa Bay
NFC WC - Detroit
User avatar
Cactus Jack
General Manager
Posts: 9,741
And1: 4,538
Joined: Feb 25, 2015
Location: Seattle
   

Re: Predict the playoffs 2017 

Post#17 » by Cactus Jack » Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:25 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:AFC North - Pittsburgh
AFC East - Miami
AFC South - Tennessee
AFC West - Kansas City
AFC WC - Denver
AFC WC - New England

NFC East - Dallas
NFC North - Green Bay
NFC South - New Orleans
NFC West - Arizona
NFC WC - Atlanta
NFC WC - Detriot

You just lost all credibility! Ernie? :laugh:
Quazza wrote:ALL FUTURE ERECTIONS WILL BE NAMED KEVIN FOR BEING SUCH A STAND UP GUY
User avatar
bmurph128
Analyst
Posts: 3,603
And1: 2,127
Joined: May 28, 2015
     

Re: Predict the playoffs 2017 

Post#18 » by bmurph128 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:54 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:AFC North: Steelers
AFC East: Patriots
AFC South: Texans
AFC West: Raiders
AFC Wildcard 1: Chiefs
AFC Wildcard 2: Ravens

NFC North: Lions
NFC East: Giants
NFC South: Panthers
NFC West: Seahawks
NFC Wildcard 1: Packers
NFC Wildcard 2: Cowboys



Only two changes from last year? There's always more turnover than that..
User avatar
Cactus Jack
General Manager
Posts: 9,741
And1: 4,538
Joined: Feb 25, 2015
Location: Seattle
   

Re: Predict the playoffs 2017 

Post#19 » by Cactus Jack » Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:56 pm

bmurph128 wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:AFC North: Steelers
AFC East: Patriots
AFC South: Texans
AFC West: Raiders
AFC Wildcard 1: Chiefs
AFC Wildcard 2: Ravens

NFC North: Lions
NFC East: Giants
NFC South: Panthers
NFC West: Seahawks
NFC Wildcard 1: Packers
NFC Wildcard 2: Cowboys



Only two changes from last year? There's always more turnover than that..

I know. I would have given the nod to the Rams, but you know how that goes...
Quazza wrote:ALL FUTURE ERECTIONS WILL BE NAMED KEVIN FOR BEING SUCH A STAND UP GUY
User avatar
bmurph128
Analyst
Posts: 3,603
And1: 2,127
Joined: May 28, 2015
     

Re: Predict the playoffs 2017 

Post#20 » by bmurph128 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:00 pm

NFC East - Giants
NFC South - Panthers
NFC North - Packers
NFC West - Seahawks
Wildcard 1 - Bucs
Wildcard 2 - Vikings

AFC East - Patriots
AFC South - Colts
AFC North - Steelers
AFC West - Chiefs
Wildcard 1 - Ravens
Wildcard 2 - Titans

Return to The General NFL Board