Will CTE eventually Kill the whole sport of football?

Moderator: bwgood77

1993Playoffs
Analyst
And1: 3,540

Will CTE eventually Kill the whole sport of football? 

Post#1 » by 1993Playoffs » Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:50 pm

We have scientific proof the football is a dangerous sport and it causes damage to the brain. I also see many parents not letting their kids play Do you think football will eventually be gone in the future?
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,481

Re: Will CTE eventually Kill the whole sport of football? 

Post#2 » by bwgood77 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:35 pm

fileman3 wrote:We have scientific proof the football is a dangerous sport and it causes damage to the brain. I also see many parents not letting their kids play Do you think football will eventually be gone in the future?

No. Sure, fewer people will play, but there will always be enough people who want to play and a ton who want to watch. I don't think they will lack for players.

UFC, MMA, etc is not good for the brain either but those things only seem to grow in popularity. Plus I think with this knowledge, the equipment and probably the rules will constantly evolve to be more safe.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,975

Post#3 » by Otis Driftwood » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:17 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
fileman3 wrote:We have scientific proof the football is a dangerous sport and it causes damage to the brain. I also see many parents not letting their kids play Do you think football will eventually be gone in the future?

No. Sure, fewer people will play, but there will always be enough people who want to play and a ton who want to watch. I don't think they will lack for players.

UFC, MMA, etc is not good for the brain either but those things only seem to grow in popularity. Plus I think with this knowledge, the equipment and probably the rules will constantly evolve to be more safe.

And - coaching continues to evolve around playing smarter and safer. If we were full of old school "rub some dirt on it" guys who didn't care, then I would be concerned. Just spent over 11 years watching my grandson play. I can tell you - the coaching at the HS level has improved significantly with regard to proper technique.

Concussions are never going away entirely. It's a contact sport. They aren't going away in hockey either. But as long as they continue to "clean up" the dirty stuff and poor technique, I think football (and hockey as well ) will be OK.
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it."
bleu
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,146

Post#4 » by bleu » Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:12 am

Something which I would like to see done is a study on how lifestyle factors into the CTE problem. I do believe that there is certainly a link between football and CTE, but it should be noted that many football players are also guys who drink, do drugs, and live a very high-intensity lifestyle. Maybe I'm way off here, but I sincerely believe that it has to be a contributor.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#5 » by Otis Driftwood » Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:49 pm

NFL to End Partnership with National Institutes of Health on Concussion Study
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2724307-nfl-to-end-partnership-with-national-institute-of-health-on-concussion-study?utm_source=cnn.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=editorial

The National Institutes of Health will reportedly let its partnership with the NFL expire in August after the NFL previously pledged $30 million to help research the connection between brain disease and football.

According to ESPN's Mark Fainaru-Wada and Steve Fainaru, the NIH decided not to renew its agreement with the NFL "following a bitter dispute in 2015 in which the NFL backed out of a major study that had been awarded to a researcher who had been critical of the league."

"The NFL's agreement with [the funding arm of the NIH] ends August 31, 2017, and there are no current research plans for the funds remaining from the original $30 million NFL commitment," the NIH said in a statement, per ESPN.

On Tuesday, the medical journal JAMA (via CNN's Daniella Emanuel) published the results of a study that showed chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE) had been found in the brains of 110 of 111 deceased former NFL players.

110 of 111.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics
And1: 14,456

Post#6 » by Cactus Jack » Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:54 pm

Otis Driftwood wrote:NFL to End Partnership with National Institutes of Health on Concussion Study
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2724307-nfl-to-end-partnership-with-national-institute-of-health-on-concussion-study?utm_source=cnn.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=editorial

The National Institutes of Health will reportedly let its partnership with the NFL expire in August after the NFL previously pledged $30 million to help research the connection between brain disease and football.

According to ESPN's Mark Fainaru-Wada and Steve Fainaru, the NIH decided not to renew its agreement with the NFL "following a bitter dispute in 2015 in which the NFL backed out of a major study that had been awarded to a researcher who had been critical of the league."

"The NFL's agreement with [the funding arm of the NIH] ends August 31, 2017, and there are no current research plans for the funds remaining from the original $30 million NFL commitment," the NIH said in a statement, per ESPN.

On Tuesday, the medical journal JAMA (via CNN's Daniella Emanuel) published the results of a study that showed chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE) had been found in the brains of 110 of 111 deceased former NFL players.

110 of 111.

I'm glad I never played organized football. :wink:
Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#7 » by Otis Driftwood » Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:56 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:
Otis Driftwood wrote:NFL to End Partnership with National Institutes of Health on Concussion Study

110 of 111.

Me either. I just ran into telephone poles playing street football. And I'm in my 60's and not drooling. Yet. :upset:
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics
And1: 14,456

Post#8 » by Cactus Jack » Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:01 pm

Otis Driftwood wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:

Me either. I just ran into telephone poles playing street football. And I'm in my 60's and not drooling. Yet. :upset:

I was 5'10" 150 lbs. In high school. I wouldn't be here today, had I played. Lol
Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over
bmurph128
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,625

Post#9 » by bmurph128 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:16 pm

You don't hear about concussions in NCAA nearly as often as the NFL.

I think the way they play will continue to change, possibly with the NFL having to institute even more rules to help player safety.

I also think the helmet will evolve...it's kind of crazy to me that the day and age we live in, we can't come up with some way of limiting the impact on the brain.
El Turco
GOTB Fantasy Basketball Ultimate 2x Champion
And1: 20,560

Post#10 » by El Turco » Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:01 pm

yes, at least this version of football, game is going to have to change a lot and become far less violent in 20 years. mma/boxing is not as big a problem, mommy and daddy in middle class suburbia rarely have to worry about their kids becoming fighters. also i think cte is relatively rare in those sports iirc.
TheLowlySquire wrote:Wow, Arda! Huge!

Howard Mass wrote:Arda is not a terrorist. Arda is a good person.
papidulo
Rookie
And1: 651

Post#11 » by papidulo » Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:35 pm

As long as they pay millions and being a pro athlete is a status symbol, there will always be boatloads of ppl willing to play football.

I think that equipment technology will change alot though, and you may see players opting to play alot shorter careers, and alot of rule changes to take out big impact plays.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM
And1: 3,304

Post#12 » by bluejerseyjinx » Sun Jul 30, 2017 3:12 pm

Otis Driftwood wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:

that's because you were looking at women and not focusing, well, never mind, :rofl: I'm younger than you and I drool, :lol:
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#13 » by Otis Driftwood » Sun Jul 30, 2017 3:34 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Otis Driftwood wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:I'm glad I never played organized football. :wink:

that's because you were looking at women and not focusing, well, never mind, :rofl: I'm younger than you and I drool, :lol:

Actually, I was focused on making the catch, sir. It was only after I made and secured the catch that I turned at full speed and ran smack into the pole.

Good thing I was a slow, skinny white boy. Only damage was to my ego. But I held on to the ball.

I was a badass.

Return to The General NFL Board