Moderator: bwgood77

Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,974

Cowboys' Ezekiel Elliott suspended six games by NFL 

Post#1 » by Otis Driftwood » Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:35 pm

Welp...

Cowboys' Ezekiel Elliott suspended six games by NFL
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000828558/article/ezekiel-elliott-suspended-six-games-by-nfl

The NFL suspended Dallas Cowboys running back Ezekiel Elliott six games Friday for violating the league's personal-conduct policy, a source informed of the situation told NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport.

The ruling comes after the NFL's year-long investigation into multiple incidents involving Elliott, including domestic violence accusations made against him by a woman who identified herself as his former girlfriend to authorities.

Elliott, 22, has denied the allegations and has the right to appeal the NFL's decision. He has three days to appeal. If the six-game suspension stands, Elliott would be eligible to make his season debut Oct. 29 against the Washington Redskins.

ESPN first reported the development.

The woman told police Elliott assaulted her on five separate occasions over the course of a week in July 2016, according to the Columbus (Ohio) City Attorney's Office. He was never arrested and prosecutors declined to charge Elliott, citing conflicting and inconsistent information.

Under the terms of the NFL's personal conduct policy, players found by the league to have committed domestic violence are subject to "a baseline suspension without pay of six games" regardless of whether "the conduct does not result in a criminal conviction."

The policy states: "In cases where a player is not charged with a crime, or is charged but not convicted, he may still be found to have violated the policy if the credible evidence establishes that he engaged in conduct prohibited by this Personal Conduct Policy."

Robert S. Tobias, principal assistant city attorney in Columbus, stated in an email to NFL Network's Tom Pelissero last year he believed "there were a series of interactions between Mr. Elliott and [his accuser] where violence occurred."

"... Given the totality of the circumstances, I could not firmly conclude exactly what happened," Tobias wrote in October. "Saying something happened versus having sufficient evidence to criminally charge someone are two completely different things."

The NFL launched its investigation soon after Elliott's ex-girlfriend filed a police report last summer. League investigators first interviewed Elliott in October and met with him again last month. Elliott and the NFL Players Association turned over phone records and documents related to the case to the league in May.

It wasn't the only incident the NFL looked into involving Elliott. The same woman called police on Elliott in Feb. 2016 in Florida, where the former Ohio State star was training prior to the NFL Scouting Combine, sources with knowledge of the situation told Pelissero. She told police she suffered shoulder pain when Elliott pushed her up against a wall. Elliott wasn't arrested or charged.

In March of this year, Elliott was seen in videos and photos pulling down a woman's shirt and exposing her breast on the roof of a Dallas bar during a St. Patrick's Day parade. Last month, Elliott was involved in an incident at another Dallas bar that initially sparked an assault investigation before police suspended their probe. That incident, however, was not part of the NFL's completed probe, a source with knowledge of the investigation told Rapoport and Pelissero.

Elliott is in his second season with the Cowboys after rushing for 1,631 yards and 15 touchdowns en route to earning first-team All-Pro honors in 2016.
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it."
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Re: Cowboys' Ezekiel Elliott suspended six games by NFL 

Post#2 » by Otis Driftwood » Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:46 pm

Clearly, the Columbus Police Department and the District Attorney's office are incompetent as hell.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics
And1: 14,441

Post#3 » by Cactus Jack » Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:59 pm

And it begins... :winkgrin:
Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over
LBJKB24MJ23
RealGM
And1: 21,171

Post#4 » by LBJKB24MJ23 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:01 pm

What a piece of ****

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
raf1995 wrote:I just don’t think he has that kind of potential. I think we will regret not trading him for a haul in a few years when he’s a mid-tier starter with nice playmaking and defense and a shaky jumper.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#5 » by Otis Driftwood » Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:09 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:And it begins... :winkgrin:

Put yourself in situations where the long arm of Goodell can slap you...

Gonna get slapped. No logic for how hard. Just slapped.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,467

Post#6 » by bwgood77 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:12 pm

There will probably be as many stories about how this impacts fantasy football rankings than the actual story itself.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#7 » by Otis Driftwood » Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:15 pm

bwgood77 wrote:There will probably be as many stories about how this impacts fantasy football rankings than the actual story itself.

Yep. On sites where that is a factor (like my home page), it's already started.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#8 » by Otis Driftwood » Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:23 pm

So... sidebar question.

Does Jerry qualify for the Goodell Memorial "You have too many players suspended so I'm going to fine the s*** out of you" Supplemental Award?
Mich3006
Head Coach
And1: 3,682

Post#9 » by Mich3006 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:24 pm

From the Giants point of view :nod:

Otherwise I find it too much because the police don't have much evidence as it seems...

Otis Driftwood wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:There will probably be as many stories about how this impacts fantasy football rankings than the actual story itself.

Sammy Watkins' impact increased today though...
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#10 » by Otis Driftwood » Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:29 pm

Ayatollah wrote:From the Giants point of view :nod:

Otherwise I find it too much because the police don't have much evidence as it seems...

Otis Driftwood wrote:

Sammy Watkins' impact increased today though...

Sammy Watkins.

Winning.
bmurph128
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,625

Post#11 » by bmurph128 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:11 pm

Otis Driftwood wrote:Clearly, the Columbus Police Department and the District Attorney's office are incompetent as hell.

It's unfortunate, but star athletes always seem to get a big of leeway, regardless of where they play.

Although TBH, I don't even remember hearing about this and I live in Columbus. In that article they say that they didn't have sufficient evidence to charge him, but stated that something clearly happened. Seems logical to me. And the NFL has made it clear that even if they're not charged they can be suspended. Zeke has no one to blame but himself here.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#12 » by Otis Driftwood » Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:24 pm

bmurph128 wrote:
Otis Driftwood wrote:Clearly, the Columbus Police Department and the District Attorney's office are incompetent as hell.

It's unfortunate, but star athletes always seem to get a big of leeway, regardless of where they play.

Although TBH, I don't even remember hearing about this and I live in Columbus. In that article they say that they didn't have sufficient evidence to charge him, but stated that something clearly happened. Seems logical to me. And the NFL has made it clear that even if they're not charged they can be suspended. Zeke has no one to blame but himself here.

Just finished listening to the local Cowboys beat writer (David Moore - one of the best in the business). The NFL was able to validate via metadata dates the pictures of the woman injuries were taken which concurred with her testimony. That along with the St. Patrick's Day incident along with the bar incident last month...

You will get no argument from me that Zeke has no one to blame but the guy in the mirror he sees every morning. He's placed himself in situations where he is compromised. But - the Columbus Prosecutors and Police have some explaining to do also.
bmurph128
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,625

Post#13 » by bmurph128 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:07 pm

Otis Driftwood wrote:
bmurph128 wrote:

Just finished listening to the local Cowboys beat writer (David Moore - one of the best in the business). The NFL was able to validate via metadata dates the pictures of the woman injuries were taken which concurred with her testimony. That along with the St. Patrick's Day incident along with the bar incident last month...

You will get no argument from me that Zeke has no one to blame but the guy in the mirror he sees every morning. He's placed himself in situations where he is compromised. But - the Columbus Prosecutors and Police have some explaining to do also.

Yea, the only thing I can think is that they really may not have had enough evidence to prosecute - because them telling the NFL that, you have to know that will eventually be public.

The entire justice system needs overhauled when you realize that things like this happen. And you're right - they better have a good explanation.
CDior510
Junior
And1: 105

Post#14 » by CDior510 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:17 pm

As a Giants fan "Na Na Na Na Na NA"
As a football fan I really wanted to see how him and Dak attacked the sophomore slump curse, but I guess it's just 7 games he'll have more opportunities, but if true I don't know what to say about his character. Well looks like the 2nd stringer better back up or Dak is really going to have to get deep into the playbook and throw more.
bleu
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,146

Post#15 » by bleu » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:30 pm

LMAO, my buddy put down $100 on Zeke to lead the league in rushing yards this season. Guess that's not happening!
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#16 » by Cactus Jack » Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:08 am

I'm worried about JerseyJinx. He's been MIA since the news broke. :dontknow:
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#17 » by Otis Driftwood » Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:18 am

bleu wrote:LMAO, my buddy put down $100 on Zeke to lead the league in rushing yards this season. Guess that's not happening!

He's probably not the only one rubbing the pain in his groin today...

That's one serious kick.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#18 » by Otis Driftwood » Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:19 am

Cactus Jack wrote:I'm worried about JerseyJinx. He's been MIA since the news broke. :dontknow:

McFadden and Morris will hold the fort down. Now if Tyron Smith's back is more serious than reported... that's different.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#19 » by Cactus Jack » Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:21 am

Otis Driftwood wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:I'm worried about JerseyJinx. He's been MIA since the news broke. :dontknow:

McFadden and Morris will hold the fort down. Now if Tyron Smith's back is more serious than reported... that's different.

Yeah, that line is too good. Dak will likely have to pick up more of the slack tho.

It certainly changes things up in fantasy.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,467

Post#20 » by bwgood77 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:32 am

CDior510 wrote:As a Giants fan "Na Na Na Na Na NA"
As a football fan I really wanted to see how him and Dak attacked the sophomore slump curse, but I guess it's just 7 games he'll have more opportunities, but if true I don't know what to say about his character. Well looks like the 2nd stringer better back up or Dak is really going to have to get deep into the playbook and throw more.

With that line they should be fine with Darren McFadden

Return to The General NFL Board