Moderator: bwgood77

Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,975

Re: Cowboys' Ezekiel Elliott suspended six games by NFL 

Post#201 » by Otis Driftwood » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:14 am

FNQ wrote:
Read on Twitter

Im at the point where I dont even care if Zeke gets suspended for 6 games as long as someone holds the NFL accountable for the way they do things.

Wallach is the guy I follow also. The reporters down here view him as the go-to on this case. It sounds like based on everything I read and hear in the last 3 hours it’s going to be NY. And - it will be quick and all expectations are there will be a decision next week.
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it."
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,039

Post#202 » by Mr B » Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:58 am

For those interested.

Read on Twitter
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#203 » by Otis Driftwood » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:57 pm

So... it continues.

Read on Twitter
Mr B
RealGM

Post#204 » by Mr B » Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:05 am

Otis Driftwood wrote:So... it continues.

Read on Twitter

The update I got said the judge was on vacation so this may only stand for a week or two. Lol
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#205 » by Otis Driftwood » Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:23 am

Mr B wrote:
Otis Driftwood wrote:So... it continues.

Read on Twitter

The update I got said the judge was on vacation so this may only stand for a week or two. Lol

That’s what Kate posted on Twitter. I laughed.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics
And1: 14,453

Post#206 » by Cactus Jack » Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:59 am

What a joke.
Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over
Mr B
RealGM

Post#207 » by Mr B » Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:51 am

Cactus Jack wrote:What a joke.

So it looks like the tank isn’t on quite yet. Once the judge comes back from vacation in 14 Days we get to do this again.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,007

Post#208 » by FNQ » Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:22 pm

Good. Sometimes even the judicial system finds a nut
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#209 » by Otis Driftwood » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:16 pm

Sources: Ezekiel Elliott's team, NFL have discussed the possibility of a settlement
https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/dallas-cowboys/cowboys/2017/10/18/sources-ezekiel-elliotts-team-nfl-discussed-possibility-settlement

NEW YORK -- Ezekiel Elliott wants to fight for his name.

The NFL wants to ensure the commissioner's disciplinary powers remain strong.

Middle ground has been impossible to find during this protracted saga. But for the first time since both sides dug in for the long haul, a brief window has opened for the principals to seriously explore a compromise.

Sources said the two sides have discussed the possibility of a settlement. This should come as no surprise. There has been dialogue behind the scenes, one source asserts, after each court ruling along the way.

The level of sincerity present in those previous discussions is open to debate.

The NFL was in no mood to deal after arbiter Harold Henderson upheld the commissioner's six-game suspension. Elliott's side wasn't inclined to back down after they won a temporary restraining order and preliminary injunction from a court in Sherman.

The league regained its edge with last week's ruling in the 5th Circuit Court of Appeals.

Negotiations are about leverage. The side with the upper hand, especially in a battle as acrimonious as this one, often tends to overplay that hand, making a settlement unlikely.

Why is now different?

Well, Judge Paul Crotty in the Southern District of New York only granted Elliott a temporary restraining order. The two sides must turn to Judge Katherine Failla before the month is done to determine the status of the preliminary injunction.

That decision determines whether Elliott will begin serving his suspension during the season or if this legal wrangling is pushed into the offseason before it results in clarity.

It can be argued both sides have inflicted enough harm on the other at this stage to be amenable to a settlement. Elliott can claim a reduced suspension is an admission that the NFL overreached, not an admission of guilt on his part. The NFL can acknowledge it made procedural mistakes in the investigation and process and avoid a potential negative ruling that would undermine future discipline.

Now, the big question: what is that number for both sides? Two games? Three?

If the two sides enter serious negotiations now, Judge Failla won't have to hear this case when she returns from vacation.

David Moore - Dallas Morning News
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM
And1: 3,294

Post#210 » by bluejerseyjinx » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:57 pm

It would be nice to put this thing to rest one way or another. We could use less distractions in Big D these days.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#211 » by FNQ » Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:24 pm

Otis Driftwood wrote:Sources: Ezekiel Elliott's team, NFL have discussed the possibility of a settlement
https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/dallas-cowboys/cowboys/2017/10/18/sources-ezekiel-elliotts-team-nfl-discussed-possibility-settlement

NEW YORK -- Ezekiel Elliott wants to fight for his name.

The NFL wants to ensure the commissioner's disciplinary powers remain strong.

Middle ground has been impossible to find during this protracted saga. But for the first time since both sides dug in for the long haul, a brief window has opened for the principals to seriously explore a compromise.

Sources said the two sides have discussed the possibility of a settlement. This should come as no surprise. There has been dialogue behind the scenes, one source asserts, after each court ruling along the way.

The level of sincerity present in those previous discussions is open to debate.

The NFL was in no mood to deal after arbiter Harold Henderson upheld the commissioner's six-game suspension. Elliott's side wasn't inclined to back down after they won a temporary restraining order and preliminary injunction from a court in Sherman.

The league regained its edge with last week's ruling in the 5th Circuit Court of Appeals.

Negotiations are about leverage. The side with the upper hand, especially in a battle as acrimonious as this one, often tends to overplay that hand, making a settlement unlikely.

Why is now different?

Well, Judge Paul Crotty in the Southern District of New York only granted Elliott a temporary restraining order. The two sides must turn to Judge Katherine Failla before the month is done to determine the status of the preliminary injunction.

That decision determines whether Elliott will begin serving his suspension during the season or if this legal wrangling is pushed into the offseason before it results in clarity.

It can be argued both sides have inflicted enough harm on the other at this stage to be amenable to a settlement. Elliott can claim a reduced suspension is an admission that the NFL overreached, not an admission of guilt on his part. The NFL can acknowledge it made procedural mistakes in the investigation and process and avoid a potential negative ruling that would undermine future discipline.

Now, the big question: what is that number for both sides? Two games? Three?

If the two sides enter serious negotiations now, Judge Failla won't have to hear this case when she returns from vacation.

David Moore - Dallas Morning News

2 games in 2018 :bowdown:

Seriously I'm glad Zeke is putting up this kinda fight, without it we wouldnt know how little the NFL learned from Deflategate
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#212 » by FNQ » Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:00 pm

NFL now taking the stance that they aren't trying to come to an agreement.

I'd feel much better about the situation if the NFL came out and said that if a NFL player is accused of something without evidence, they'll punish them anyways, because of how poorly they handled DV in the past. Just be honest!
Mr B
RealGM

Post#213 » by Mr B » Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:58 am

FNQ wrote:NFL now taking the stance that they aren't trying to come to an agreement.

I'd feel much better about the situation if the NFL came out and said that if a NFL player is accused of something without evidence, they'll punish them anyways, because of how poorly they handled DV in the past. Just be honest!

Didn’t Zeke say in an interview a couple days ago that he would not seek a deal. He was saying that the money is not nearly as important as clearing his name is. He said that because of his mom and his sisters he needs everyone to know he did not do this. If that’s true I would hope that he wouldn’t take a deal.

From a fan’s perspective though I prefer it if the NFL changed the reason for the suspension to just overall behavior and gave him a 2 game suspension starting immediately.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#214 » by FNQ » Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:29 pm

Well, that about does it.

The NFL suspends a guy who was accused of domestic violence with a TON of uncertainty around it. Kessler feebly argued that it was an NFL conspiracy instead of just going straightforward with NFL incompetence / public relations. Just a cluster-eff all around.

Throwing away the fantasy and football parts for a minute, Zeke is not a guy who you can say is a morally upstanding guy. But based on everything out there, he's also not a guy who you can say is someone who physically abused women. But that stigma will hang around his neck for as long as he's relevant, because the NFL didn't punish legitimate domestic violence (Ray Rice, Josh Brown) nearly well enough. I feel terrible for the guy, as a human being, for having that hung around him now.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#215 » by Otis Driftwood » Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:32 pm

FNQ wrote:Well, that about does it.

The NFL suspends a guy who was accused of domestic violence with a TON of uncertainty around it. Kessler feebly argued that it was an NFL conspiracy instead of just going straightforward with NFL incompetence / public relations. Just a cluster-eff all around.

Throwing away the fantasy and football parts for a minute, Zeke is not a guy who you can say is a morally upstanding guy. But based on everything out there, he's also not a guy who you can say is someone who physically abused women. But that stigma will hang around his neck for as long as he's relevant, because the NFL didn't punish legitimate domestic violence (Ray Rice, Josh Brown) nearly well enough. I feel terrible for the guy, as a human being, for having that hung around him now.

Meanwhile, clear Helmet-to-Helmet hits warrant a one game suspension and habitual pot smokers are banned for life.

Today's NFL.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#216 » by Mr B » Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:22 pm

FNQ wrote:Well, that about does it.

Also keep in mind that if Zeke has one more incident the league could dole out a lifetime ban for Zeke.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#217 » by FNQ » Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:10 pm

PFT Article (not linking correctly): Judge who rules against Elliott's husband works for the firm that crafted the NFL's CBA.

:nonono:

So many coincidences
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#218 » by FNQ » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:51 pm

Zeke and his team have filed an emergency injunction, and I've been reading bits and pieces through Josina Anderson (great twitter follow, btw).

All of these blurbs are explaining why the judge decided against Elliott, and if you have the time/motivation, read it and be shocked. So far the worst parts:

- judge determined that for the first time in US courts history that a pro athlete being suspended would not cause irreparable harm to their career
- judge determined that arbitrator Henderson didnt interview the accuser because it would be emotionally taxing for her (Henderson said it wasnt necessary for Zeke's defense); which is basically the judge arguing points FOR the NFL - which is really, really strange
- judge re-interpreted the CBA and Henderson's statements her own way

This is the equivalent of having a referee on your side. The judge essentially re-structured the NFL's argument for them, so she could agree with them. Daniel Wallach still believes she will deny the motion ( I mean, think that logic will change her mind after she already heard the case? ), but keep in mind the 4 major points to retain an injunction:

1) Irreparable harm done to the accused
2) Whether or not there is a strong possibility of the accused winning the appeal
3) Whether or not the injunction will substantially injure the other parties in the proceedings
4) Where the public interest lies.

This judge determined that all 4 points were AGAINST Zeke. Which is unfathomable, frankly.

1) 6 games plus a reputation stain for an NFL player - equivalent to a 30 game (NBA) or 60 game (MLB) suspension
2) this is tough for us to judge, because of the legalese
3) no idea how this could potentially hurt the NFL or the accuser, who stands to gain nothing regardless
4) I would say this is the only legitimate point against Zeke - the use of tax dollars to find justice

But here's the rub: if 2 of the 4 boxes are checked off, 90%+ of these cases do result in an injunction.

tl;dr - this is crazily baffling.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#219 » by FNQ » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:50 pm

Newest motion denied by the same judge, so off they go to the 2nd Circuit for Zeke's final appeal. Dont think this changes anything - very unlikely that a judge changes their ruling - but hopefully her written rejection will include a change of heart regarding irreparable harm, because if that becomes a precedent, owners across all sports will have a drastic amount of power regarding suspensions.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#220 » by Mr B » Wed Nov 1, 2017 2:23 am

FNQ wrote:Newest motion denied by the same judge, so off they go to the 2nd Circuit for Zeke's final appeal. Dont think this changes anything - very unlikely that a judge changes their ruling - but hopefully her written rejection will include a change of heart regarding irreparable harm, because if that becomes a precedent, owners across all sports will have a drastic amount of power regarding suspensions.

I think we all knew that he would end up having to serve the suspension at some point. Sucks that he’s getting railroaded like this. On the bright side, I prefer that he serves the suspension this year instead of next year. Get it out of the way and remove the distraction of the suspension away from the team.

Getting it out of the way now allows them to start fresh next season. The rookie secondary will have a full year under their belt and the Cowboys can load up again on defense in the draft. Zeke won’t have to worry about suspension and the team can finally stop being questioned about it.

Return to The General NFL Board