bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,462

Has Ezekiel Elliott peaked? 

Post#1 » by bwgood77 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:08 pm

From Bill Barnwell..

Ezekiel Elliott, RB, Dallas Cowboys

Elliott struggled in the first two weeks of the 2016 season before running roughshod over opposing defenses. From Dallas' third game on through its 15th, Elliott averaged 115.2 rushing yards per game before sitting out their meaningless Week 17 encounter. The Ohio State star followed it up with 125 yards in Dallas' postseason loss to the Packers.

It's hard to think of the last rookie running back who was as effective as Zeke, but let's present him anonymously in table form:

PLAYER RUSH YDS YPC TD
Ezekiel Elliott 322 1,631 5.1 15
Player B 335 1,613 4.8 13

Pretty similar, no? Player B is Alfred Morris, currently Dallas' third-string back. Morris racked up huge numbers as a rookie in Washington, but his rushing yardage total has dropped in each of the four ensuing seasons, bottoming out with 243 yards behind Elliott last season.

Maybe it's not fair to compare Elliott to Morris, who looked like a star during that one year Washington turned Robert Griffin III and the zone-read offense into the league's most terrifying offensive attack. Elliott's a top-five pick and Morris was a sixth-round afterthought. You would argue that Morris was in the best possible situation for a running back to succeed, but wouldn't that also be the case for Elliott in 2016?

The Cowboys had the best offensive line in the NFC, with three Pro Bowlers in the prime of their careers combining to miss a total of just two meaningful games. The other two starters were veterans with years of experience in Dallas, both of whom (Doug Free and Ronald Leary) are now gone. It's hard to imagine the Cowboys fielding an offensive line better than the one that was in front of Elliott last year, given that even great offensive lines have a shelf life of a few seasons at most.

Elliott was also playing in an offense that was basically designed to feed him carries. The Cowboys got a stunning level of play from rookie quarterback Dak Prescott, but as Prescott matures, it would hardly be a surprise to see Dallas ask him to throw more than the 456 passes he threw last year. The Cowboys were also without star receiver Dez Bryant for a chunk of last season, and Bryant would have demanded the ball on a more frequent basis had he been in the lineup.

The Cowboys also won 13 games, which meant that they were running the clock out in the fourth quarter in lieu of throwing the ball, which they'll have to do more if they're trailing. Elliott ended up with 322 carries last year, which is a huge outlier in the modern NFL. Elliott was the only back in football to top the 300-carry mark, although Le'Veon Bell averaged more attempts per game (21.8) than Elliott (21.5).

Put it this way: There have been 36 backs since the merger to produce a single season with 1,600 rushing yards or more. Just 12 of those backs have repeated the feat. It's tempting to separate those into two groups, with one-offs like Morris in one and perennial superstars like LaDainian Tomlinson in the other, but there are plenty of true franchise backs who weren't able to get to those lofty heights again. Top-five picks like Edgerrin James, George Rogers, Jamal Lewis, and even Tony Dorsett got more than 1,600 yards once -- and never again.

It's a real feat to be as good as Elliott was in 2016, combining both his natural talent and an optimal set of surroundings. Elliott surely won't be able to top his 1,631 yards again in 2017, given that it appears likely he'll be suspended for as many as six games, but the odds are also against him getting past that mark again as a pro.

For rest or article and discussion of other players, click here:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/20325873/nfl-tom-brady-ezekiel-elliott-julio-jones-other-stars-already-peaked
RavenMad31
Senior
And1: 252

Re: Has Ezekiel Elliott peaked? 

Post#2 » by RavenMad31 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:31 pm

It's really tough to think that, but I don't get the impression this guy grasps the gravity of his situation. I recently heard that his own dad said that he wasn't ready for the NFL lifestyle when he got drafted. The way he handles his suspension will be very telling. He might want to get a talking to from a guy like Ray Rice. If anyone can impress upon him how disposable the RB position is and how to get yourself to a point where you aren't (hopefully) punching women, it's Rice.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#3 » by bwgood77 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:52 am

RavenMad31 wrote:It's really tough to think that, but I don't get the impression this guy grasps the gravity of his situation. I recently heard that his own dad said that he wasn't ready for the NFL lifestyle when he got drafted. The way he handles his suspension will be very telling. He might want to get a talking to from a guy like Ray Rice. If anyone can impress upon him how disposable the RB position is and how to get yourself to a point where you aren't (hopefully) punching women, it's Rice.

The article I posted wasn't really about that, and the title or link to click to it on espn was "Has Ezekiel Elliott peaked?" and just went on to talk about how great the line was, how he averaged WAY more carries than a typical back, and usually backs didn't keep that pace up and even went down the next year (though that is obvious with the suspension) but also that it was pretty rare when a back ran for over 1,600 yards, he ever did it again.

Of course, as you mention, off the field issues could very well play a part in things too, obviously this year.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,974

Post#4 » by Otis Driftwood » Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:00 pm

Peaked?

No.
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it."
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM
And1: 3,282

Post#5 » by bluejerseyjinx » Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:16 pm

Peaked. What, lmao. So he has burnt himself out after his rookie season. O.K., Sometimes I forget how much hate America's Team has in this room. My bad, forgot.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#6 » by Otis Driftwood » Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:37 pm

bwgood77 wrote:From Bill Barnwell..

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/20325873/nfl-tom-brady-ezekiel-elliott-julio-jones-other-stars-already-peaked

So... espen fired Ed Werder? And this cat still has a job there?

Their standards have plummeted haven't they...
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#7 » by bluejerseyjinx » Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:15 pm

Otis Driftwood wrote:

I hardly ever watch ESPN anymore. Way too much east coast bias and homerism for my liking. And your right, they have gone downhill. I did like Ed Werder though. Stopped watching for the most part when they replaced Bayless with Kellerman. Thought it would get better, but I was wrong. Why would any fan of America's team want the football gospel word from a Giant fan and a jerk that used to work in Philly. And when they are not talking football, its all basketball and boxing. Not my cup of tea.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#8 » by bwgood77 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:07 pm

Otis Driftwood wrote:

A lot of people like Barnwell, but I'm not a big fan. He is purely a trends guy...or looks at history, but not from analyzing players, teams, etc, but more so that team beat projections by this much, or were +10 in the turnover ratio or were 8-1 in games decided by 3 or less, and these types of advantages (which he will call luck) will regress to the mean, so he projects which teams will come back down to earth, regress, etc, but I think it's flawed.

He used to write these gambling articles, and he would looked at odds and probabilities, and take which bets he saw the biggest discrepancies.

So this guy, in I think the Ravens/Niners super bowl, in his article, said the real odds of a safety are like 50/1, but the odds the books are giving is 20/1, so he put like $100 on their NOT being a safety. There was to end the game....so he lost like $2,000.

So the following year, in a Pats super bowl, he does it again, thinking "surely there won't be another one", and sure enough, not only was their another one, but it was on like the first play of the game. Ruined his game.

The following year on twitter I told him he should bet on there not being a safety again. He blocked me.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#9 » by Otis Driftwood » Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:14 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
The following year on twitter I told him he should bet on there not being a safety again. He blocked me.

He seems angry. Miserable even.

:rock:
RavenMad31
Senior
And1: 252

Post#10 » by RavenMad31 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:25 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
RavenMad31 wrote:It's really tough to think that, but I don't get the impression this guy grasps the gravity of his situation. I recently heard that his own dad said that he wasn't ready for the NFL lifestyle when he got drafted. The way he handles his suspension will be very telling. He might want to get a talking to from a guy like Ray Rice. If anyone can impress upon him how disposable the RB position is and how to get yourself to a point where you aren't (hopefully) punching women, it's Rice.

The article I posted wasn't really about that, and the title or link to click to it on espn was "Has Ezekiel Elliott peaked?" and just went on to talk about how great the line was, how he averaged WAY more carries than a typical back, and usually backs didn't keep that pace up and even went down the next year (though that is obvious with the suspension) but also that it was pretty rare when a back ran for over 1,600 yards, he ever did it again.

Of course, as you mention, off the field issues could very well play a part in things too, obviously this year.

I guess that was my long-winded way of saying that we have probably seen the best season of his career.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics
And1: 14,438

Post#11 » by Cactus Jack » Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:34 am

bluejerseyjinx wrote:I hardly ever watch ESPN anymore. Way too much Patriots/Brady bias and (NE) homerism for my liking.

FIFY :wink:

bluejerseyjinx wrote: Stopped watching for the most part when they replaced Bayless with Kellerman. Thought it would get better, but I was wrong. Why would any fan of America's team want the football gospel word from a Giant fan and a jerk that used to work in Philly.

Your right, it's gotten way better! :lol:

The only ESPN program I'll watch on a regular basis is their ESPNFC segment. Or a live game of some kind. Everything else they put out is complete garbage. I don't even watch SportsCenter anymore.
Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over
Ballerhogger
RealGM
And1: 16,798

Post#12 » by Ballerhogger » Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:19 am

As long he stays in shape for 6 games he should be good and they keep a o line.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#13 » by bluejerseyjinx » Tue Sep 5, 2017 3:19 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:I hardly ever watch ESPN anymore. Way too much Patriots/Brady bias and (NE) homerism for my liking.

FIFY :wink:

bluejerseyjinx wrote: Stopped watching for the most part when they replaced Bayless with Kellerman. Thought it would get better, but I was wrong. Why would any fan of America's team want the football gospel word from a Giant fan and a jerk that used to work in Philly.

Your right, it's gotten way better! :lol:

The only ESPN program I'll watch on a regular basis is their ESPNFC segment. Or a live game of some kind. Everything else they put out is complete garbage. I don't even watch SportsCenter anymore.

Its even worse during baseball season. especially when the Red Sox and Yankee's play. Its like the rest of MLB doesn't exist. We miss out on all those wonderful pitching staffs and bull pens on the west coast. :wink:

Return to The General NFL Board