Thoughts on the Aaron Donald situation?

Moderator: bwgood77

bmurph128
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,625

Thoughts on the Aaron Donald situation? 

Post#1 » by bmurph128 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:42 pm

Not sure if you've been following, but he's holding out of camp and "reports" are that he's willing to miss regular season games.

He's under contract for two more seasons after the Rams picked up his 5th year option - he's only set to make about $10 million over the next two years.

Do you think he's justified in holding out for a new deal? JJ Watt got a new deal after 3 years, and that's the only defensive player on Donald's level. Do you think the Rams should cave and make him the highest paid defensive player in NFL history now? The Rams have made offers, and I'm guessing their stance is "he's under contract two more years - why would we pay him that much when we don't have to?"

I'm of two minds - loved him when we picked him, and he's been the best DT in football - and graded out as the best defensive player in the NFL for two years in a row. But that hasn't translated to wins, and we have four other starting defensive players whose contracts are up after this year, and now Sammy Watkins as well. If we commit that much money to Donald now, it likely means we lose three starters in free agency next year.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics
And1: 14,434

Re: Thoughts on the Aaron Donald situation? 

Post#2 » by Cactus Jack » Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:26 pm

Love it! :cheesygrin:

He's the one guy on that team that I fear. My hope is that he holds out the entire season & asks for a trade! :lol:
Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,974

Post#3 » by Otis Driftwood » Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:02 pm

If he were to hold out until maybe mid-October I could support him in that effort.
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it."
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,413

Post#4 » by bwgood77 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:29 pm

bmurph128 wrote:Not sure if you've been following, but he's holding out of camp and "reports" are that he's willing to miss regular season games.

He's under contract for two more seasons after the Rams picked up his 5th year option - he's only set to make about $10 million over the next two years.

Do you think he's justified in holding out for a new deal? JJ Watt got a new deal after 3 years, and that's the only defensive player on Donald's level. Do you think the Rams should cave and make him the highest paid defensive player in NFL history now? The Rams have made offers, and I'm guessing their stance is "he's under contract two more years - why would we pay him that much when we don't have to?"

I'm of two minds - loved him when we picked him, and he's been the best DT in football - and graded out as the best defensive player in the NFL for two years in a row. But that hasn't translated to wins, and we have four other starting defensive players whose contracts are up after this year, and now Sammy Watkins as well. If we commit that much money to Donald now, it likely means we lose three starters in free agency next year.

Two ways to look at it. Do you want him long term? At the possible expense of losing others? Or just hold out and risk him being unhappy and wanting to leave? Since the team may not be playoff bound anyway, I'd probably stand pretty firm, if, like you say, it means losing other players. Chances are they meet somewhere in the middle and lots of guys get over it. I think Bosa did.
bmurph128
Lead Assistant

Post#5 » by bmurph128 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:37 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
bmurph128 wrote:Not sure if you've been following, but he's holding out of camp and "reports" are that he's willing to miss regular season games.

Two ways to look at it. Do you want him long term? At the possible expense of losing others? Or just hold out and risk him being unhappy and wanting to leave? Since the team may not be playoff bound anyway, I'd probably stand pretty firm, if, like you say, it means losing other players. Chances are they meet somewhere in the middle and lots of guys get over it. I think Bosa did.

Yea I mean we're likely losing a few guys no matter what, so that's the tough part to project.

I think bigger than the Donald situation is getting a bad rep with players. He definitely deserves a raise, but because he's a DT, I have a hard time thinking about paying him nearly $20 million per year.

Side note:

How weird is it rooting for an LA team? I don't generally think about the city that much, but when I'm on the basketball forum and see Laker fans that I almost always disagree with sporting a Rams logo (not a lot, but some), feels pretty strange..
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#6 » by bwgood77 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:34 pm

bmurph128 wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

Yea I mean we're likely losing a few guys no matter what, so that's the tough part to project.

I think bigger than the Donald situation is getting a bad rep with players. He definitely deserves a raise, but because he's a DT, I have a hard time thinking about paying him nearly $20 million per year.

Side note:

How weird is it rooting for an LA team? I don't generally think about the city that much, but when I'm on the basketball forum and see Laker fans that I almost always disagree with sporting a Rams logo (not a lot, but some), feels pretty strange..

It's VERY weird. The first time I saw Los Angeles Chargers I just didn't feel so good inside. Rooting against the Lakers my whole life (and the Dodgers since the D Backs came along) and now pulling for a team there is weird. But I'm attached to the players on the team and have been a long time loyal fan, so no matter where they move I can't just drop them.

I've been meaning to ask you why not a Browns fan? Was there no Cleveland team when you started following or something? I mean I'm sure it's hard to be a Browns fan, at least with the newer Browns team, but being that you follow all the other Cleveland teams...
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,006

Post#7 » by FNQ » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:10 pm

From the players' side, completely understand it. Make money while you can in a dangerous game.

Now I'm unfamiliar with the Rams' cap situation, but I will say that having a disrupting DT like Donald is extremely rare and I think it would behoove the Rams to keep him happy. I know they just paid a premium on Watkins and handed out a couple big contracts.. but Donald is the Rams' best player right now. There's no one - not even Goff - who you put ahead of him in terms of urgency in getting a contract done. And if the Rams dont think he's as good as his pay will dictate, trade him while his value is peaking. Because a malcontent on a bad team can really, really hurt his trade value (looking at you, Sheldon Richardson)
Mich3006
Head Coach
And1: 3,682

Post#8 » by Mich3006 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:01 pm

Otis Driftwood wrote:If he were to hold out until maybe mid-October I could support him in that effort.

Maybe he can extend it until mid-november :pray:

To answer OP´s question I think the Rams should pay him because he will get even more money in free agency IMO.
Rams secondary is solid but only Ogletree should stay with them next year, guys like Johnson, Barwin, Westbrooks or Easley are replaceable.

Extend Donald, re-sign Ogletree and Watkins (if he can stay healthy) and put Tavon Austin on the block...
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,974

Post#9 » by Otis Driftwood » Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:08 pm

Joking aside... if he were a some type of knucklehead with a bad rep in the league (aka. Haynesworth or Suh) then I could see the reluctance. Never got that vibe about Donald from a distance. Seems to be a quality guy who is also arguably the best DT in the league.

Gotta pay those.
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it."
bmurph128
Lead Assistant

Post#10 » by bmurph128 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:53 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
bmurph128 wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:Two ways to look at it. Do you want him long term? At the possible expense of losing others? Or just hold out and risk him being unhappy and wanting to leave? Since the team may not be playoff bound anyway, I'd probably stand pretty firm, if, like you say, it means losing other players. Chances are they meet somewhere in the middle and lots of guys get over it. I think Bosa did.

Side note:

It's VERY weird. The first time I saw Los Angeles Chargers I just didn't feel so good inside. Rooting against the Lakers my whole life (and the Dodgers since the D Backs came along) and now pulling for a team there is weird. But I'm attached to the players on the team and have been a long time loyal fan, so no matter where they move I can't just drop them.

I've been meaning to ask you why not a Browns fan? Was there no Cleveland team when you started following or something? I mean I'm sure it's hard to be a Browns fan, at least with the newer Browns team, but being that you follow all the other Cleveland teams...

I actually live in Columbus, so I don't really have a ton of allegiance to the city of Cleveland. I do not go out of my way to root for the Browns, and I try not to watch them. But the Browns are always on local TV here, and I try to watch as much football as possible - so I'll get a setup going with multiple TVs, a 30 foot HDMI cable run from a box in another room, and then one TV with a local game.

My dad grew up about an hour away from Cleveland and went to Browns and Indians games quite a bit. He became a Rams fan when he was a kid in the 1960s (Rams were really good and always on TV) - he has some residual fondness for the Browns, so we usually end up watching them when they're on. Because football is my first love (and I live in Columbus), we're pretty big on Ohio State. My wife actually attended OSU too, so that's pretty big for us. I enjoy coming here and talking basketball because this board is awesome, and I watch a lot of Cavs games when I can, but if the Rams/Buckeyes/Indians/Cavs were all playing at the same time, I'd be watching the football games.

Because of that it gets kind of funny with the Cavs and Indians - if they moved, would I still be a fan? I'm not sure. Much more likely to keep following the Indians over the Cavs though - growing up in the 90s, I have very fond memories (and some heartbreak) watching those crazy good Indians teams. I probably only became a Cavs fan because basketball was my favorite sport to play, and Mark Price - plus they were on TV here.

But my fandom for the Rams is greater than the others combined. Here most people prefer college football (with OSU and then the combined ineptitude of the Browns/Bengals..) - so it blows their mind a bit when I tell them that if the football Gods came down to me and said the Rams will win the super bowl next year but only if you spend every Saturday watching Michigan beat Ohio State 70-0, I'd say hell yes.

And I've seen the Rams win a super bowl...so it's not like a Cubs or Browns situation there.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics
And1: 14,434

Post#11 » by Cactus Jack » Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:51 pm

bmurph128 wrote:I actually live in Columbus, so I don't really have a ton of allegiance to the city of Cleveland. I do not go out of my way to root for the Browns, and I try not to watch them. But the Browns are always on local TV here, and I try to watch as much football as possible - so I'll get a setup going with multiple TVs, a 30 foot HDMI cable run from a box in another room, and then one TV with a local game.

My dad grew up about an hour away from Cleveland and went to Browns and Indians games quite a bit. He became a Rams fan when he was a kid in the 1960s (Rams were really good and always on TV) - he has some residual fondness for the Browns, so we usually end up watching them when they're on. Because football is my first love (and I live in Columbus), we're pretty big on Ohio State. My wife actually attended OSU too, so that's pretty big for us. I enjoy coming here and talking basketball because this board is awesome, and I watch a lot of Cavs games when I can, but if the Rams/Buckeyes/Indians/Cavs were all playing at the same time, I'd be watching the football games.

Because of that it gets kind of funny with the Cavs and Indians - if they moved, would I still be a fan? I'm not sure. Much more likely to keep following the Indians over the Cavs though - growing up in the 90s, I have very fond memories (and some heartbreak) watching those crazy good Indians teams. I probably only became a Cavs fan because basketball was my favorite sport to play, and Mark Price - plus they were on TV here.

But my fandom for the Rams is greater than the others combined. Here most people prefer college football (with OSU and then the combined ineptitude of the Browns/Bengals..) - so it blows their mind a bit when I tell them that if the football Gods came down to me and said the Rams will win the super bowl next year but only if you spend every Saturday watching Michigan beat Ohio State 70-0, I'd say hell yes.

And I've seen the Rams win a super bowl...so it's not like a Cubs or Browns situation there.

Weirdo! :P
Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#12 » by bwgood77 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:17 pm

bmurph128 wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
bmurph128 wrote:

Side note:

I actually live in Columbus, so I don't really have a ton of allegiance to the city of Cleveland. I do not go out of my way to root for the Browns, and I try not to watch them. But the Browns are always on local TV here, and I try to watch as much football as possible - so I'll get a setup going with multiple TVs, a 30 foot HDMI cable run from a box in another room, and then one TV with a local game.

Yeah, I'd watch the Chargers over the Suns if on at the same time and I had to choose. I think they were on at the same time last year and I was able to watch both though...maybe twice actually. I was a fan of the Kurt Warner Rams teams.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM
And1: 3,272

Post#13 » by bluejerseyjinx » Tue Sep 5, 2017 3:22 pm

Otis Driftwood wrote:Joking aside... if he were a some type of knucklehead with a bad rep in the league (aka. Haynesworth or Suh) then I could see the reluctance. Never got that vibe about Donald from a distance. Seems to be a quality guy who is also arguably the best DT in the league.

Gotta pay those.

Hopefully he holds out till week 5. :wink:

Return to The General NFL Board