Better Rams back in history....Marshall Faulk or Eric Dickerson?

Moderator: bwgood77

Dickerson
53%
Faulk
47%

Total votes: 15

bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,364

Post#1 » by bwgood77 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:08 am

bmurph128
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,618

Re: Better Rams back in history....Marshall Faulk or Eric Dickerson? 

Post#2 » by bmurph128 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:09 am

ED better pure runner. But Marshall is a top 3 all time RB for me. Could do everything at an elite level.

Sent from my SM-T350 using RealGM mobile app
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#3 » by bwgood77 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:12 am

bmurph128 wrote:ED better pure runner. But Marshall is a top 3 all time RB for me. Could do everything at an elite level.

I googled it to see if there had been a discussion...found something a bit interesting...

Eric Dickerson was superior with the Rams -- and Marshall Faulk is a first ballot Hall of Famer.

That's how good Eric Dickerson was.

Before Faulk Nation goes ballistic on me -- Faulk is one of the 50 or 60 best players ever at any position, and he's an all-time great. He was like a turbo-charged Thurman Thomas -- he did everything well.

But it is no disrespect to Marshall Faulk to suggest Eric Dickerson was in his class -- or even, slightly above it.

Dickerson may be the least appreciated truly great runner of all-time -- he needs to be in the conversation about the best pure runners ever.

Here is the evidence.

Eric Dickerson played 65 games for the Rams.

He ran for 7,245 yards in those games -- a per game average of over 110 yards/game that would rank #1 in NFL History.

Dickerson led the league in scrimmage yards four times, and led the league in rushing four times (three times each with the Rams): Six different times, Dickerson averaged over 100 yards a game rushing in a full season.

Faulk led the league in scrimmage yards twice, and never led the league in rushing. He clearly was a better pass catcher than Dickerson, and more versatile overall, but as a runner, even he isn't in Dickerson's class.

Faulk's calling card was versatility -- combined rushing and receiving yards from scrimmage. Yet again: Dickerson led the league in combined yards four times, to Faulk's two. Bet you didn't know that.

In his four full seasons with the Rams, Dickerson topped 1800 rushing yards three times,including a ridiculous 2,105 yard rushing campaign in his second season that still stands as the NFL's single-season rushing mark.

You know who played quarterback on the 1984 Rams -- the guy charged with keeping the defense "honest" against Dickerson? Jeff freaking Kemp, and Vince freaking Ferragamo. 1984 Los Angeles Rams

OK?

And with those quarterbacks, he ran for more yards in a single season than Faulk, Adrian Peterson, Emmitt Smith, Barry Sanders, Walter Payton and anyone else who ever played the game ever has.

Process that.

Dickerson took on eight men in the box, week after week, with no passing game help, and still averaged 5.6 per carry in 1984 -- in setting a single-season rushing mark that has held up for 30 years (and counting). Jim Brown's 1863 in 14 games (1963) and O.J. Simpson's 2003 yards in 14 games (1973) are the type of season Dickerson had in 1984-85. Just special.

If Eric Dickerson had played with Kurt Warner, Ike Bruce and Torry Holt, with Orlando Pace blocking for him, he might have run for 2,500 yards in a season.

He was spectacular, on bad teams. His lack of a title is a ridiculous criticism -- no one was carrying Jeff Kemp and Dieter Brock anywhere near a Lombardi Trophy, people.

Let me know the next time a running back runs for 3,913 yards and 32 TDs in his first two pro seasons.

Dickerson was the #2 overall pick in the famous 1983 NFL Draft, behind John Elway. Early in their careers, a lot of pundits questioned that -- because Dickerson was SO dominant, immediately. And for the record: John Elway was pretty good (kidding -- he's easily a top 5-10 all-time QB).

People forget how good Eric Dickerson was -- he was absolutely incredible.

https://www.quora.com/Who-was-the-best-Rams-running-back-ever%E2%80%94Eric-Dickerson-or-Marshall-Faulk
bmurph128
Lead Assistant

Post#4 » by bmurph128 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:06 am

bwgood77 wrote:
bmurph128 wrote:ED better pure runner. But Marshall is a top 3 all time RB for me. Could do everything at an elite level.

I googled it to see if there had been a discussion...found something a bit interesting...

Eric Dickerson was superior with the Rams -- and Marshall Faulk is a first ballot Hall of Famer.

Before Faulk Nation goes ballistic on me -- Faulk is one of the 50 or 60 best players ever at any position, and he's an all-time great. He was like a turbo-charged Thurman Thomas -- he did everything well.

But it is no disrespect to Marshall Faulk to suggest Eric Dickerson was in his class -- or even, slightly above it.

Dickerson may be the least appreciated truly great runner of all-time -- he needs to be in the conversation about the best pure runners ever.

Here is the evidence.

He ran for 7,245 yards in those games -- a per game average of over 110 yards/game that would rank #1 in NFL History.

Dickerson led the league in scrimmage yards four times, and led the league in rushing four times (three times each with the Rams): Six different times, Dickerson averaged over 100 yards a game rushing in a full season.

Faulk led the league in scrimmage yards twice, and never led the league in rushing. He clearly was a better pass catcher than Dickerson, and more versatile overall, but as a runner, even he isn't in Dickerson's class.

Faulk's calling card was versatility -- combined rushing and receiving yards from scrimmage. Yet again: Dickerson led the league in combined yards four times, to Faulk's two. Bet you didn't know that.

In his four full seasons with the Rams, Dickerson topped 1800 rushing yards three times,including a ridiculous 2,105 yard rushing campaign in his second season that still stands as the NFL's single-season rushing mark.

You know who played quarterback on the 1984 Rams -- the guy charged with keeping the defense "honest" against Dickerson? Jeff freaking Kemp, and Vince freaking Ferragamo. 1984 Los Angeles Rams

OK?

And with those quarterbacks, he ran for more yards in a single season than Faulk, Adrian Peterson, Emmitt Smith, Barry Sanders, Walter Payton and anyone else who ever played the game ever has.

Process that.

Dickerson took on eight men in the box, week after week, with no passing game help, and still averaged 5.6 per carry in 1984 -- in setting a single-season rushing mark that has held up for 30 years (and counting). Jim Brown's 1863 in 14 games (1963) and O.J. Simpson's 2003 yards in 14 games (1973) are the type of season Dickerson had in 1984-85. Just special.

If Eric Dickerson had played with Kurt Warner, Ike Bruce and Torry Holt, with Orlando Pace blocking for him, he might have run for 2,500 yards in a season.

He was spectacular, on bad teams. His lack of a title is a ridiculous criticism -- no one was carrying Jeff Kemp and Dieter Brock anywhere near a Lombardi Trophy, people.

Let me know the next time a running back runs for 3,913 yards and 32 TDs in his first two pro seasons.

Dickerson was the #2 overall pick in the famous 1983 NFL Draft, behind John Elway. Early in their careers, a lot of pundits questioned that -- because Dickerson was SO dominant, immediately. And for the record: John Elway was pretty good (kidding -- he's easily a top 5-10 all-time QB).

https://www.quora.com/Who-was-the-best-Rams-running-back-ever%E2%80%94Eric-Dickerson-or-Marshall-Faulk

First, let me start by saying im only 31 years old. But my dad watched and loved ED.

The ability to run the football, I have three guys clearly above everyone else: Barry, Sayers, and ED. All three dont have the longevity that some others have.

Dickerson was on really good teams with the Rams in the 80s - playoffs all but one year. The QB held them back, but the Niners, Bears and Giants are why the Rams of the 80s didnt make more noise - some all time great teams there.

ED had a great offensive line. It was amazing that those teams had similar rushing and passing yards, but it was by design. Dickerson was amazing....but I view some of his numbers like Drew Brees...all time great? Absolutely. GOAT? No....even though he has done things that Brady never has. Brees is an immense talent that was in a perfect situation....and thats not a knock on ED. But one day we might look back and ask what Brees could have done with some of the defenses Brady had....which would be ignoring the impact Payton had on him.

And ofc theres more to the position than just running, which is why I have Marshall over him.

The Rams fraternity of running backs is pretty crazy. ED, Bettis and Gurley all won rookie of the year. Then you have MF and Stephen Jackson..

bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#5 » by bwgood77 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:18 am

bmurph128 wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

Here is the evidence.

OK?

Process that.

First, let me start by saying im only 31 years old. But my dad watched and loved ED.

The ability to run the football, I have three guys clearly above everyone else: Barry, Sayers, and ED. All three dont have the longevity that some others have.

Dickerson was on really good teams with the Rams in the 80s - playoffs all but one year. The QB held them back, but the Niners, Bears and Giants are why the Rams of the 80s didnt make more noise - some all time great teams there.

ED had a great offensive line. It was amazing that those teams had similar rushing and passing yards, but it was by design. Dickerson was amazing....but I view some of his numbers like Drew Brees...all time great? Absolutely. GOAT? No....even though he has done things that Brady never has. Brees is an immense talent that was in a perfect situation....and thats not a knock on ED. But one day we might look back and ask what Brees could have done with some of the defenses Brady had....which would be ignoring the impact Payton had on him.

And ofc theres more to the position than just running, which is why I have Marshall over him.

The Rams fraternity of running backs is pretty crazy. ED, Bettis and Gurley all won rookie of the year. Then you have MF and Stephen Jackson..

Yeah, I saw Dickerson, but mostly as a young kid, and I remember thinking he was great, but he never jumped out as being flashy or anything like watching Barry Sanders, or even Marshall Faulk. And the highlights of Sayers (I've always said he was the most impressive I've seen on tape, though Sanders is tough to beat). Faulk was awesome at everything..the fantasy king back then and easy first pick.

Dickerson, despite not always looking impressive in style just seemed like a smart runner, and racked up the yards. He may have had a good line, but not like Emmitt Smith had...Dickerson was much better at improvising and just knowing where to go and get yards, and seemed to get a lot untouched, and not just right through the middle of the line, and he could struggle at times to get through those, but once he did, his shiftiness was not eye popping but before you knew it, he was on his own running. He might compare well to Tomlinson. Even being a Chargers fan, Tomlinson never truly seemed like a great eye popping running back that was historic, but for whatever reason, he knew where to go and when to cut and ended up with a ton of yards. His passing ability was fun to watch.
bmurph128
Lead Assistant

Post#6 » by bmurph128 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:23 am

bwgood77 wrote:
bmurph128 wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

Yeah, I saw Dickerson, but mostly as a young kid, and I remember thinking he was great, but he never jumped out as being flashy or anything like watching Barry Sanders, or even Marshall Faulk. And the highlights of Sayers (I've always said he was the most impressive I've seen on tape, though Sanders is tough to beat). Faulk was awesome at everything..the fantasy king back then and easy first pick.

Dickerson, despite not always looking impressive in style just seemed like a smart runner, and racked up the yards. He may have had a good line, but not like Emmitt Smith had...Dickerson was much better at improvising and just knowing where to go and get yards, and seemed to get a lot untouched, and not just right through the middle of the line, and he could struggle at times to get through those, but once he did, his shiftiness was not eye popping but before you knew it, he was on his own running. He might compare well to Tomlinson. Even being a Chargers fan, Tomlinson never truly seemed like a great eye popping running back that was historic, but for whatever reason, he knew where to go and when to cut and ended up with a ton of yards. His passing ability was fun to watch.

He wasnt as shifty as those guys, but his straight line speed was insane. Huge strides. Thats why I think he was one of the best pure runners.

Btw...Im sorry about the Chargers. Truly seem cursed.

Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics
And1: 14,424

Post#7 » by Cactus Jack » Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:34 am

Never saw Dickerson play but Marshall was so damn good. Him & Barry Sanders are probably the best two backs I can recall.
Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,974

Post#8 » by Otis Driftwood » Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:21 pm

One of those arguments where you almost have to look at the eras and the style of RB... similar to Dorsett versus E. Smith with the Cowboys and decide which style is more pleasing to the eye. From a "pure running back" stance, it's hard not to choose Dickerson. He was one of those guys who scared you the moment he was handed the ball. You want a primer on his greatness - look at January 4, 1986 and Cowboys @ Rams. Cowboys defense still hasn't stopped him. 34 carries for 248 yards. He lit my heroes up that day. And it wasn't an anomaly.

But - I go with Faulk because of his overall game. He could do it all from anywhere on the field... and still is in the Top 15 all time rushers. He was the X-Factor in the Greatest Show on Turf. You tried to double any of that combo of Holt, Bruce or Proehl, he would make you pay time and time and time again. 4th all time in total yards from scrimmage... behind J. Rice, E. Smith and W. Payton. That's pretty damned salty company right there.
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it."
RavenMad31
Senior
And1: 252

Post#9 » by RavenMad31 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:07 am

Oh. Wow. I broke a tie? I figured ED would be holding about 75 percent of the vote. I don't even think it's an equal argument in this case, but usually, if all things are pretty equal, I will always choose the RB that is the best at running the football. In my mind, the ability to split out wide doesn't make a good RB great, it makes a good RB that is also able to play some WR. That's awesome in real life, but when having arguments like this, I want my RB to be running the ball.
LAKESHOW
RealGM
And1: 4,185

Post#10 » by LAKESHOW » Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:56 pm

Until someone takes down that 2105 single season rushing record.

Eric Dickerson will always be one of my top 2 greatest ever running backs.

Faulk is fantastic. No disrespect at all. Watched him from San Diego State throughout his career. But he is behind Dickerson.
Home of the 17 Time World Champions
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM
And1: 3,241

Post#11 » by bluejerseyjinx » Fri Aug 3, 2018 3:09 pm

Give me Earl Campbell over any of those guys any day of the week. However, staying with the thread, Otis and Raven bring up great points. Personally, its not even worth discussing. Its Eric Dickerson, hands down.
Ballerhogger
RealGM
And1: 16,798

Post#12 » by Ballerhogger » Sat Aug 4, 2018 3:39 am

Eric for me as well
RavenMad31
Senior
And1: 252

Post#13 » by RavenMad31 » Sun Aug 5, 2018 11:52 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:Give me Earl Campbell over any of those guys any day of the week. However, staying with the thread, Otis and Raven bring up great points. Personally, its not even worth discussing. Its Eric Dickerson, hands down.

Until Jamal Lewis came along, Earl and Eric were always my all time dream backfield. Eric had those goggles and that jheri curl, man. How could anyone vote for Faulk over that?
Shivershock
Freshman
And1: 17

Post#14 » by Shivershock » Mon Aug 6, 2018 1:30 pm

Faulk did everything to perfection run, catch and block so I would rather have him

Return to The General NFL Board