Turning around the Browns

Moderator: bwgood77

bluejerseyjinx
RealGM
And1: 3,276

Re: Turning around the Browns 

Post#61 » by bluejerseyjinx » Thu Nov 9, 2017 5:48 am

Browns have been irrelevant since they moved from the NFL to the AFC in 1970. Bring them back to their original roots, clean house and get some highly competent people in their.
Celtsfan1980
Assistant Coach
And1: 192

Post#62 » by Celtsfan1980 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:56 pm

If the Browns finish with two top 10 picks, what should they do? Possible veteran quarterbacks that may be available:Alex Smith, Eli Manning, AJ McCarron, Matt Moore, Case Keenum, and Sam Bradford. If Kizer looks good the rest of the season(his best game of the season on Sunday) what should they do then?
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,007

Post#63 » by FNQ » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:25 pm

Celtsfan1980 wrote:If the Browns finish with two top 10 picks, what should they do? Possible veteran quarterbacks that may be available:Alex Smith, Eli Manning, AJ McCarron, Matt Moore, Case Keenum, and Sam Bradford. If Kizer looks good the rest of the season(his best game of the season on Sunday) what should they do then?

Sign Tyrod Taylor
Celtsfan1980
Assistant Coach
And1: 192

Post#64 » by Celtsfan1980 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:25 pm

We've only been destroyed once this season thus far. Definitely a step in the right direction. I'm not thrilled, but I am happy.
OsuCavsfan103
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,047

Post#65 » by OsuCavsfan103 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:46 pm

We should just move the team again, this franchise is a joke. I mean 1-25 in the last two years so far. I mean that's ridiculous to me that an NFL team cannot win more than 1 game.

I will not spend a cent of my money on them that's for sure, I will probably watch the first game Gordon is back if he doesn't get kicked out of the league first, that's about it.

We aren't even improving, maybe on D, maybe, but our offense has fallen back even more. We still are insanely undisciplined and our FO is full of morons.
therealbig3
RealGM
And1: 15,095

Post#66 » by therealbig3 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:50 pm

I mean, not drafting Kizer and taking one of Goff or Wentz or Watson would have gone a long way. Instead, they continued their winning tradition of drafting guys like Weeden by drafting Kizer.
Yoshun
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,718

Post#67 » by Yoshun » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:15 pm

I'd work on the line if I were Cleveland. Put together stellar lines on both sides of the ball.

Really though they're scouting and coaching has been crap for some time.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#68 » by FNQ » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:17 pm

therealbig3 wrote:I mean, not drafting Kizer and taking one of Goff or Wentz or Watson would have gone a long way. Instead, they continued their winning tradition of drafting guys like Weeden by drafting Kizer.

It's funny that you mention Goff and Kizer, as at around this time last year Goff was huffing and puffing to look like even a below average starter, and that was with a stud RB already on the roster.

But they never even had a chance at Goff unless they wanted to trade up, and here's their overall haul to date for the #2 pick (+ a 2016 5th + 6th)

Corey Coleman
Jabril Peppers
DeShone Kizer
Carl Nassib
Cody Kessler
Derrick Kindred
Joe Schobert
Spencer Drango
Jordan Payton
2018 1st HOU (currently #8)
2018 2nd PHI (currently #64)

Still a ton of potential in those picks, especially the top 2 + Kindred. And frankly after watching the game against Cincy, Kizer looked a lot better. People seem to forget that on most teams, Kizer is learning for a year or two, and was drafted based on his upside with the knowledge that he needed to be coached up.

But let's face it.. if a respected team made these moves, we'd be in wait-and-see mode. But because it's the Browns, people pick the low-hanging fruit. With the #2 pick in the 2016 draft, the Browns have 3 high upside starters (Coleman, Peppers, Kindred), an improving yet still raw QB, an average EDGE rusher (Nassib), and are still looking at the 8 and 64 coming up next year, or thereabouts. I'm sure Wentz and Watson would have done fine throwing to Kenny Britt, Ricardo Louis, Rashad Higgins and rookie David Njoku.. but let's be clear: the grade is INC. If the Browns wind up investing heavily in surrounding their QB with talent like the Rams did (Woods, Watkins, Kupp, Whitworth, Sullivan), they could surprise people too. But they also dont have a Gurley sitting on the roster, so there's that as well
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#69 » by FNQ » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:28 pm

Celtsfan1980 wrote:We've only been destroyed once this season thus far. Definitely a step in the right direction. I'm not thrilled, but I am happy.

Kizer looked good on Sunday, OL looking a lot better than it did immediately after Thomas got hurt. I'm sure Coleman has a lot to do with Kizer playing better.. in the 3 games he's had Coleman, his only legitimate WR, Kizer has a rating of 81.1. Not terribly impressive, but he's done it against 3 top 5 pass defenses in the league (PIT-3, JAX-1, CIN-5). Still has to get his comp% above 60 (58% is too Newton-y w/o the upside), but there's still a lot of reason for optimism there. If Josh Gordon can play even close to where he was before this nightmare of a suspension, the next few weeks will tell a lot about Kizer's future, and what he can do with 2 legitimate starting NFL WRs. If he looks good enough, that gives the Browns the ability to spend 2 top 10 picks on non QBs, or to continue their pick stockpile.

On the other side, the Browns DL looks pretty good, esp with regards to run defense. Mixon got to them a bit but they've been pretty stout otherwise. Their LBs and CBs have been atrocious though.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#70 » by FNQ » Fri Dec 1, 2017 7:27 pm

Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,974

Post#71 » by Otis Driftwood » Fri Dec 1, 2017 8:20 pm

FNQ wrote:
Celtsfan1980 wrote:If the Browns finish with two top 10 picks, what should they do? Possible veteran quarterbacks that may be available:Alex Smith, Eli Manning, AJ McCarron, Matt Moore, Case Keenum, and Sam Bradford. If Kizer looks good the rest of the season(his best game of the season on Sunday) what should they do then?

Sign Tyrod Taylor

"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it."
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#72 » by FNQ » Sat Dec 2, 2017 12:16 am

Otis Driftwood wrote:
FNQ wrote:

Sign Tyrod Taylor

Aw, I liked that idea.. I'm assuming Thomas is going to retire or be dealt, leaving the CLE OL in a bit of a state of disarray. So a mobile QB will be paramount, and the absolute best thing about Tyrod is that he's not a turnover guy.

Imagine the Browns drafting Saquan Barkley and Minkah Fitzpatrick with their 2 1sts, heading into the season with 2 mobile QBs of Tyrod and Kizer. They'd essentially be following former laughingstock Jacksonville's blueprint - landing an elite RB, trying to control the ball with their QB (Tyrod >>> Bortles), and then try and build an elite defense. Starting with Garrett, Shelton, Peppers, and Fitzpatrick is a damned good start, as well as having cogs like Ogbah, Collins, and Kindred also manning starting slots. Then hope someone like Orlando Brown (LT/RT) or Isaiah Oliver (CB) falls to them on Day 2.

There's just so many directions for the Browns to go, and its not nearly as dire as people think IMO
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#73 » by Otis Driftwood » Sat Dec 2, 2017 5:00 am

I would love to share your optimism FNQ... problem is Jimmy Haslam still owns the team. And he has yet shown any signs that he knows what the hell He's doing.
El Turco
GOTB Fantasy Basketball Ultimate 2x Champion
And1: 20,560

Post#74 » by El Turco » Tue Dec 5, 2017 12:29 pm

kizer is beyond terrible. but they have pieces if they could find a qb.
TheLowlySquire wrote:Wow, Arda! Huge!

Howard Mass wrote:Arda is not a terrorist. Arda is a good person.
Mich3006
Head Coach
And1: 3,682

Post#75 » by Mich3006 » Tue Dec 5, 2017 12:37 pm

Go all-in on Cousins and upgrade your roster on both ends could fix it. The Browns have some really promising guys and have plenty of solid picks left... The Giants look more awful tbh.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#76 » by Otis Driftwood » Tue Dec 5, 2017 1:05 pm

Arda K wrote:kizer is beyond terrible. but they have pieces if they could find a qb.

Completely agree...

Ayatollah wrote:Go all-in on Cousins and upgrade your roster on both ends could fix it. The Browns have some really promising guys and have plenty of solid picks left...

Once again - couldn't agree more. They have been searching for a QB so long it is almost comical that they haven't accidentally stumbled into a good one by mistake. Sign Cousins to an offer that forces the Redskins to either s*** or get off the pot.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#77 » by FNQ » Tue Dec 5, 2017 4:27 pm

El Turco
GOTB Fantasy Basketball Ultimate 2x Champion
And1: 20,560

Post#78 » by El Turco » Tue Dec 5, 2017 8:51 pm

if only they had the same tools and skill set, i'd buy into that comparison. goff started slow because he played from pistol or shotgun in college but he was drafted so high because he had great mechanics, it is not big a shock for him to do well once he acclimated to nfl. kizer drafted strictly because his physical tools, he had bad mechanics and was a bad decision maker in college and nothing he showed so far says he improved on those.

but hey anything is possible, browns have such great track record developing players right?
TheLowlySquire wrote:Wow, Arda! Huge!

Howard Mass wrote:Arda is not a terrorist. Arda is a good person.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#79 » by FNQ » Tue Dec 5, 2017 9:20 pm

Arda K wrote:if only they had the same tools and skill set, i'd buy into that comparison. goff started slow because he played from pistol or shotgun in college but he was drafted so high because he had great mechanics, it is not big a shock for him to do well once he acclimated to nfl. kizer drafted strictly because his physical tools, he had bad mechanics and was a bad decision maker in college and nothing he showed so far says he improved on those.

but hey anything is possible, browns have such great track record developing players right?

Kizer has a lot more than physical tools.. the problem for him has always been quick reading defensive changes. His mechanics aren't the problem - much like Goff, he has a tendency to overthrow in the face of pressure. Goff took an offseason and worked on it, the results are now there. I can see the same happening with Kizer, especially with his weapons now all healthy/off-suspension and having an offseason together.

He makes maddening throws for sure, but I've been watching him closely since week 1, and he's definitely getting more comfortable and making more reads than before. I think the biggest issue, outside of the overthrows, is that he's the anti-Alex Smith: checkdown averse. And if you are going to be a Cam Newton type QB, you have to protect the ball that way. Duke should be near 80 catches right now if Kizer was more willing to get the 5 yards instead of the 10-15 yards he'd always try and get w/scrubs.

And that last part is so lame. Logos don't develop players. 3 years ago, you could say the same for the Raiders. 2 years ago, Jacksonville. Superstition about logos is just ridiculous..
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,527

Post#80 » by Worm Guts » Wed Dec 6, 2017 12:42 am

I kind of think the Browns just need to stay at the top of the draft and pick a QB. They’ve missed on so many QB’s they’ve traded down to get.

Return to The General NFL Board