Turning around the Browns

Moderator: bwgood77

Pharmcat
RealGM
And1: 19,009

Re: Turning around the Browns 

Post#161 » by Pharmcat » Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:54 pm

Im not impressed by the Browns move, they havent moved the needle enough to get into winning situation while spending all this money

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/22680603/2018-nfl-free-agency-grades-big-trades-signings-moves-offseason-bill-barnwell

most of these brown deals got terrible ratings from Barnwell

CB T.J. Carrie, Browns
Grade: C

TE Darren Fells; CB Terrance Mitchell; RB Carlos Hyde, Browns
Grade for Fells: C
Grade for Mitchell: D+
Grade for Hyde: C

OT Chris Hubbard, Browns
Grade: B-

DE Chris Smith, Browns
Grade: C+

Trade: Browns deal DT Danny Shelton to Patriots
Browns: C+
Patriots: B+

Trade: Packers deal CB Damarious Randall to Browns for QB DeShone Kizer
Grade for Packers: C+
Grade for Browns: B+

Trade: Bills deal QB Tyrod Taylor to Browns
Grade for Bills: B+
Grade for Browns: B-

Trade: Dolphins deal QR Jarvis Landry to Browns
Grade for Dolphins: B-
Grade for Browns: C+
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,007

Post#162 » by FNQ » Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:04 pm

Pharmcat wrote:Im not impressed by the Browns move, they havent moved the needle enough to get into winning situation while spending all this money

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/22680603/2018-nfl-free-agency-grades-big-trades-signings-moves-offseason-bill-barnwell

CB T.J. Carrie, Browns

OT Chris Hubbard, Browns

DE Chris Smith, Browns

They spent money for legitimacy, not contention. And frankly 'all this money' relative to the rest of the league.. they got good value.

Landry they got for a 4th and a 7th. Yes he's overpaid for that one year, but giving their future QB a reliable over the middle weapon is invaluable.

Tyrod was a definite overpay but the cost of getting a veteran QB was astronomical. Tyrod opens up the run game and is TO-averse.

Randall as a safety pushes Jabril Peppers to SS, moves Kindred to the swing safety. For Kizer? How is that not a coup?

Shelton deal I hated but I guess they had no intention of extending him.

Chris Smith is a dripping with potential and wasnt given much opportunity in CIN

Hubbard was a great RT for Pitt, not sure how he'll fare on the left side. Man does it suck that Thomas retired.

Fells and Mitchell are bad deals. Fells is a pure blocker and overpaid for it, but not wildly (Lee Smith got 3-9 from Raiders 2 years ago, Derek Carrier got 3-10 this year from the Raiders for the same). Oft-injured Hyde makes far less than scatback McKinnion or oft-injured Dion Lewis.

TJ Carrie is wildly overpaid.

So basically, Browns started off real well, and then lately got back into FA like everyone else did - by overpaying. I'd say with Tyrod running the team, 6-7 wins is a realistic goal.
Mamba4Goat
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 7,937

Post#163 » by Mamba4Goat » Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:54 am

I really hope they draft Barkley with the 1. Risking losing him by taking a QB in a QB full draft would be silly.
Rest in peace Mamba. There'll never be another Kobe.
BudTugly
Veteran
And1: 1,544

Post#164 » by BudTugly » Mon Apr 9, 2018 7:32 am

Apparently Darnold is the Vegas favorite by far to go #1. Maybe I’m not as dumb as some of you think I am.
righterwriter
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,536

Post#165 » by righterwriter » Mon Apr 9, 2018 8:09 am

FNQ wrote:
Pharmcat wrote:Im not impressed by the Browns move, they havent moved the needle enough to get into winning situation while spending all this money

CB T.J. Carrie, Browns

OT Chris Hubbard, Browns

DE Chris Smith, Browns

They spent money for legitimacy, not contention. And frankly 'all this money' relative to the rest of the league.. they got good value.

Landry they got for a 4th and a 7th. Yes he's overpaid for that one year, but giving their future QB a reliable over the middle weapon is invaluable.

Tyrod was a definite overpay but the cost of getting a veteran QB was astronomical. Tyrod opens up the run game and is TO-averse.

Randall as a safety pushes Jabril Peppers to SS, moves Kindred to the swing safety. For Kizer? How is that not a coup?

Shelton deal I hated but I guess they had no intention of extending him.

Chris Smith is a dripping with potential and wasnt given much opportunity in CIN

Hubbard was a great RT for Pitt, not sure how he'll fare on the left side. Man does it suck that Thomas retired.

Fells and Mitchell are bad deals. Fells is a pure blocker and overpaid for it, but not wildly (Lee Smith got 3-9 from Raiders 2 years ago, Derek Carrier got 3-10 this year from the Raiders for the same). Oft-injured Hyde makes far less than scatback McKinnion or oft-injured Dion Lewis.

TJ Carrie is wildly overpaid.

So basically, Browns started off real well, and then lately got back into FA like everyone else did - by overpaying. I'd say with Tyrod running the team, 6-7 wins is a realistic goal.

I hate the Tyrod trade. If they were drafting Lamar Jackson at QB, I'd get it, as they are both QBs that need to be in a system suited toward their running and scrambling abilities to have some chance at success. But Taylor is not a good drop back QB, meaning the way the offense works under him and the way it works under Darnold (or whoever they pick) is going to be completely different. It will involve different schemes, different personnel at every position. The trade just didn't make sense, particularly when AJ McCarron was available and could've been that perfect bridge QB between now and the future with Darnold.

I think they didn't sign McCarron perhaps of the embarrassment tied to him from the previous regime's paperwork debacle which nulled their trade at the last minute. Regardless, watching him go to Buffalo for 2 years, $10M makes Cleveland look bad, particularly as they gave up a valuable 3rd rd pick for Taylor, the guy Buffalo was going to cut.

I think a lot of their signings were just a matter of throwing stuff at the wall and seeing what sticks. Landry might have a miserable year as he waits for the offense to figure out what it's doing, and if goes badly he'll bolt in FA. Hyde is a decent RB, but not the likely #1 guy going forward for the future, particularly since this draft has numerous potential starters available in the first 3 rounds (when the Browns have a ton of picks). They lost All-Pro and team leader Joe Thomas. Their HC doesn't seem to know what he's doing and is one bad week away from being fired.

It's a rough situation, but with young, top prospects about to be drafted, at least the team can look to the future a bit. That's what confuses me about the Taylor move so much. They aren't setting the runway for their future QB with that move, which is their most important consideration going forward. I think things are going to get a lot worse before they get better in Cleveland based on this offseason.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,974

Post#166 » by Otis Driftwood » Mon Apr 9, 2018 3:33 pm

Browns uniforms apparently not popular with fans, team could be dumping them soon
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/browns-uniforms-apparently-not-popular-with-fans-team-could-be-dumping-them-soon/

They could do themselves a big favor here. Go back to the classic uni's. Those new ones (2015) suck.
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it."
LAKESHOW
RealGM
And1: 4,190

Post#167 » by LAKESHOW » Mon Apr 9, 2018 5:54 pm

I mean this thing is turning into the Chicago cubs, Cleveland cavaliers, Red Sox type sh**. Pretty soon everyone is gonna root for the Browns out of pity. They've gotta turn this around. Darnold is the correct answer right now
Home of the 17 Time World Champions
BudTugly
Veteran

Post#168 » by BudTugly » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:08 am

righterwriter wrote:
I hate the Tyrod trade. If they were drafting Lamar Jackson at QB, I'd get it, as they are both QBs that need to be in a system suited toward their running and scrambling abilities to have some chance at success. But Taylor is not a good drop back QB, meaning the way the offense works under him and the way it works under Darnold (or whoever they pick) is going to be completely different. It will involve different schemes, different personnel at every position. The trade just didn't make sense, particularly when AJ McCarron was available and could've been that perfect bridge QB between now and the future with Darnold.

I think they didn't sign McCarron perhaps of the embarrassment tied to him from the previous regime's paperwork debacle which nulled their trade at the last minute. Regardless, watching him go to Buffalo for 2 years, $10M makes Cleveland look bad, particularly as they gave up a valuable 3rd rd pick for Taylor, the guy Buffalo was going to cut.

I think a lot of their signings were just a matter of throwing stuff at the wall and seeing what sticks. Landry might have a miserable year as he waits for the offense to figure out what it's doing, and if goes badly he'll bolt in FA. Hyde is a decent RB, but not the likely #1 guy going forward for the future, particularly since this draft has numerous potential starters available in the first 3 rounds (when the Browns have a ton of picks). They lost All-Pro and team leader Joe Thomas. Their HC doesn't seem to know what he's doing and is one bad week away from being fired.

It's a rough situation, but with young, top prospects about to be drafted, at least the team can look to the future a bit. That's what confuses me about the Taylor move so much. They aren't setting the runway for their future QB with that move, which is their most important consideration going forward. I think things are going to get a lot worse before they get better in Cleveland based on this offseason.

Get worse than 0? How? Tyrod means they want to win, and there is no pressure to start Sam. Last year the QB room had zero career wins between all of them. He’s got way more experience than McC, he’ll bring stability and competency to the offense. If you think AJ is better OK but my understanding is the experienced player was the preference. The Browns are done tanking.

They will draft a QB, a RB, a DB, probably a WR and maybe OL. IMO the #4 will be sold to somebody that is desperate to draft QB, hopefully with a future 1st involved so if whoever we take is a bum we can have another strong swing at it.

All these other players are simply occupying holes. So Cleveland won’t have to draft for need (besides QB).
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#169 » by FNQ » Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:35 pm

Read on Twitter

Browns fans:

Bulltalk
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 9,277

Post#170 » by Bulltalk » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:20 pm

Otis Driftwood wrote:Browns uniforms apparently not popular with fans, team could be dumping them soon
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/browns-uniforms-apparently-not-popular-with-fans-team-could-be-dumping-them-soon/

They could do themselves a big favor here. Go back to the classic uni's. Those new ones (2015) suck.

They have one of the hardest color schemes to make look good to begin with, yet they somehow managed to make them look even uglier with the last makeover.
"I'm a truth teller. All I do is tell the truth."

(Donald Trump - 8/11/16)
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,974

Post#171 » by Otis Driftwood » Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:40 am

Bulltalk wrote:
Otis Driftwood wrote:Browns uniforms apparently not popular with fans, team could be dumping them soon

They have one of the hardest color schemes to make look good to begin with, yet they somehow managed to make them look even uglier with the last makeover.

The classic Brown shirts and white pants are perfect. I actually preferred the white pants with white shirt over the brown pants but this crap they’re throwing out there now...

Yuck.
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it."
righterwriter
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,536

Post#172 » by righterwriter » Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:49 am

FNQ wrote:
Read on Twitter

Browns fans:

That's a lot of money for a possession receiver.

He's obviously productive, but clearly he's not as impactful as the #1 WRs that are getting less money.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#173 » by FNQ » Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:46 pm

To re-iterate, the amazing chess game that was played at the top of the draft:

March: Cleveland knows they want Mayfield, smokescreens they want Allen. Mayfield isnt projected top 5, Allen is, meaning they could still get Mayfield at 4 while drafting who they would have loved to get - Saquan Barkley - at #1. And anyone who saw them drafting Barkley at 1, who wanted Mayfield, wouldn't think they have to get in top 4 to get him.

April: Jets trade for #3 pick, and profess love for Mayfield/Rosen. Does 2 things - it forces the Browns to take Mayfield at 1 if they love him (they did), and the Rosen hype ensures the Broncos dont make a homerun offer to jump the Jets for Darnold, who they wanted all along. They won the draft IMO because of this mostly panned move, and it turned out to be brilliant.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#174 » by FNQ » Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:51 pm

Also, loving the Browns draft thus far:

QB: Tyrod / Mayfield
RB: Chubb / Hyde / Duke
WR: Gordon / Coleman / Landry / Callaway
TE: Njoku / DeValve /
LT: Corbett
LG: Bitonio
C: Tretter
RG: Zeitler
RT: Hubbard/Coleman

LE: Ogbah / Chad Thomas
DT: Ogunjobi
DT: Coley/Brantley
RE: Garrett
SLB: J. Collins
MLB: Schobert (upgrade needed badly)
WLB: Kirksey (just kick him back inside, please)
CB: Ward / Taylor / Carrie / Boddy-Calhoun
FS: Randall
SS: Peppers

That is not a team picking in the top 10 next year, health permitting. Could easily be this year's Jags, though probably not as good as the Jags turned out to be.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,247

Post#175 » by wco81 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:54 pm

I don't know, people seem to be scratching their heads about Mayfield and Ward with two of the top 4 picks.

They may be good players but Browns might have been able to trade down and still get them.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#176 » by FNQ » Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:00 pm

wco81 wrote:I don't know, people seem to be scratching their heads about Mayfield and Ward with two of the top 4 picks.

They may be good players but Browns might have been able to trade down and still get them.

Jets were posturing that Mayfield was their guy at 3. There was not a peep about Darnold. I'm sure if the Darnold and Mayfield were there at 3 the Jets still take Darnold, but Dorsey couldnt take that kind of risk. Plus what if they take Barkley 1st, and Giants dont want Chubb? Any and every team would know both the Jets and Browns covet Mayfield, and that could start an auction. Bills or Cardinals could jump in, Mayfield goes 2, Darnold goes 3, and now the Browns are staring at a cannon-arm w/no accuracy, and a polished kid who struggles w/adversity.

The Browns are the anti-Pats: every move people assume is :censored: . But the guy running the Browns now was heralded as a draft guru when he was drafting in KC and finding studs there. Not to mention in order to trade down, they have to find a willing partner and still get the guy they wanted. Unless the Colts, Bucs, or Bears were willing to move up for Chubb (unlikely considering bad teams dont usually move up for non-QBs), the idea that they could have traded down and still landed the top DB in the draft is nitpicking at best.

Browns did fine, the problem is that most dont believe Mayfield as the best QB in the draft. That's fine, I think he's right there with Rosen now, and right there with Darnold in terms of upside.
Pharmcat
RealGM
And1: 19,009

Post#177 » by Pharmcat » Sun Apr 29, 2018 2:52 pm

i have no issue with baker at #1....ward at #4 was too high, shouldve given that to the bills and moved down with more captial in hand
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#178 » by FNQ » Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:31 pm

Pharmcat wrote:i have no issue with baker at #1....ward at #4 was too high, shouldve given that to the bills and moved down with more captial in hand

And then not get the best DB in the draft? Big need filled by best prospect. He just wasnt mocked high because it was no one elses top need in the top 8, so the earliest I saw him mocked was 9. Browns would have missed out on the two players who filled a huge need and were best at their positions: Ward and Roquan.
BudTugly
Veteran

Post#179 » by BudTugly » Tue May 1, 2018 5:02 am

Not exactly the players I had targeted but the first 4 picks were right on the money position wise.

Really glad they didn’t try to outsmart the draft taking Sequan #1. I liked Darnold the best but I don’t pretend to be a scout. We needed DB real bad and taking Ward means Fitz was not considered a real cover corner IMO. I’m sure they would have traded down a little but from the sound of it none of these teams were gonna trade up for anybody but Baker anyway. You gotta have a partner for that to happen. They didn’t so just took their man. Ward is a blue chipper, can’t complain.

I liked Big Will Hernandez for 33 but they still went OL. Okay. Then Nick Chubb who I love. After a couple years of Crowell this dude will look like Bo Jackson in comparison. Solid pick, easy to root for.

I’m not real big on possible sex offenders or morons so even though this Calloway dude has elite release off the snap and looks super talented I’m just.. can’t be exited. The rest is a bunch of scratch tickets.

I will say that Tyrod is a good bar for Baker to strive for, the dudes calling card is work ethic, he will be difficult to beat out and players respect him I think.

We needed a slot receiver bad and got one, needed a FS and got one, drafted a pile of DBs and WRs so these areas of deficit will at least experience some competition. IMO this has been a very successful offseason for Cleveland.

And the Browns aren’t tanking anymore which is relieving. If Gordon can stay on the field this team looks kinda good on paper.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#180 » by FNQ » Tue May 1, 2018 6:04 am

They were trying to take Saquon #1 until the Jets scuttled the plans.. no reason to pretend the lowest rd1 QB on your board is the guy you wanted otherwise.

Funny thing is that Mayfield may have been there at 4. Would all depend on the Giants and if they would have taken Chubb over trading the pick.

Return to The General NFL Board